S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Since they are very much like brother and sister, it's creepy. Unless you like that type of thing...

i don't necessarily think of them as brother and sister although I guess at times they are. Sometimes she's like Sheldon's mother but again so is Amy at times.i just don't get while some people are freaked out by this. I think it was more creepy when Sheldon was sleeping in Penny's living room while Lenny was in bed. Same goes when the two of them put him to bed earlier this season.

i don't necessarily think of them as brother and sister although I guess at times they are. Sometimes she's like Sheldon's mother but again so is Amy at times.i just don't get while some people are freaked out by this. I think it was more creepy when Sheldon was sleeping in Penny's living room while Lenny was in bed. Same goes when the two of them put him to bed earlier this season.

I have to agree here. Don't see all the disgust. They're both really hot, I could see something happening. Before Amy showed up and the Lenny got together for good, of course.

^Sorry don't see it. Ever since the pilot Penny has shown zero intersest in Sheldon. Who cares they are hot, so is Leonard lol. IF Penny was asked the idea of Sheldon she would either laugh to her aches hurt, or throw up. I mean really. I Don't think it was even a possibility since the first scene of the show since the pilot. Saying before Lenny got together for good. Well Lenny were endgame in the first scene of the show, when Penny said Hi, and Leonard said Hi. But that's just me. Penny has gone to great lengths to avoid Sheldon. Being good looking people does not mean theirs an attraction their. Could you imagine Penny saying ohh Sheldons a tasty dish lol, no. Not trying to start anything just my point of view. Like Sheldon said compared to the rest of the guys Leonard is a mackdaddy. You make it sound like Leonard wasen't her first choice and she is settling for him. Oh only if I asked out Sheldon first lol really??? Come on. I mean it doesent matter if Sheldon was good looking and tall, or fat and ugly. He's still Sheldon. I can understand though. Jim and Kaley are good looking. But that's not the story the show wanted to tell. But its the people who have twisted their scenes, to suit their pre conceived notions, that's the creepy part. Not S and P themselves.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

I have to agree here. Don't see all the disgust. They're both really hot, I could see something happening. Before Amy showed up and the Lenny got together for good, of course.

Well that's about preference, so not in everyone's eyes. Not as Sheldon, because that he didn't care for that kind of thing was fundamental to his characterisation. But he and Penny do have comedic chemistry as adversaries. And some loved the idea of them together, but I never saw it. Maybe it's my lack of imagination, or my simpleminded adherence to the obvious reading. Sheldon had no deal, it was clearly articulated that he had no deal and he always reacted to Penny and other females as if he had no deal. Remember the little girl in the bookshop, and Leonard's mum. He had absolutely no clue about anything sexual - totally. I was persuaded by the text and performance. But people can wish. No harm there. And they can and have tweaked his character since, so all that is history now. :)

• Like 1

^Sorry don't see it. Ever since the pilot Penny has shown zero intersest in Sheldon. Who cares they are hot, so is Leonard lol. IF Penny was asked the idea of Sheldon she would either laugh to her aches hurt, or throw up. I mean really. I Don't think it was even a possibility since the first scene of the show since the pilot. Saying before Lenny got together for good. Well Lenny were endgame in the first scene of the show, when Penny said Hi, and Leonard said Hi. But that's just me. Penny has gone to great lengths to avoid Sheldon. Being good looking people does not mean theirs an attraction their. Could you imagine Penny saying ohh Sheldons a tasty dish lol, no. Not trying to start anything just my point of view. Like Sheldon said compared to the rest of the guys Leonard is a mackdaddy. You make it sound like Leonard wasen't her first choice and she is settling for him. Oh only if I asked out Sheldon first lol really??? Come on. I mean it doesent matter if Sheldon was good looking and tall, or fat and ugly. He's still Sheldon. I can understand though. Jim and Kaley are good looking. But that's not the story the show wanted to tell. But its the people who have twisted their scenes, to suit their pre conceived notions, that's the creepy part. Not S and P themselves.

That was not what I said at all. Really. Not even close. All I'm saying is their both attractive, so it wouldn't be the worst thing to see.

I think its the idea alone is creepy to some people. Why entertain the notion. Still its a necessary episode, to restablish their brother sister relationship. And reinforce how perfect Leonard and Penny are for each other. Gazing in to each others eye while weird, funny because you know nothing is going to happen lol, its just so awkward hence why Kaley was laughing so much I heard.

Thanks so much for the report first of all Michy.  You rock!!

Secondly, I can see why Leonard would be upset about not getting recognition in the first magazine.  He was the catalyst and without him Sheldon wouldn't have done the math.  

I think he directed his anger towards Sheldon because frankly he was there which is something we all do at times regardless of who is at fault or not.  And the other thing is that Leonard has been consistently told by Sheldon that he is NOT as brilliant as Sheldon is.  Things like that stick with you with no matter how old you are.  I think the point is more that Leonard is sick of living in Sheldon's shadow especially since Sheldon deems to want to keep him there(or at least remind him that he belongs there).

Also lets not forget the context of who Leonards mother is & how he's had to live in his siblings shadow while she praised them, but he got bubkus compared to them.  I can easily see that chip on his shoulder still lingering in moments like this. 

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 5

Hey this show has tons of creepy stuff. Sheldon and Penny, Leonard dating that women to get a grant, Lenny singing soft kitty to Sheldon, Sheldon sleeping in Lenny's living room like their grown kid. Part of the shows charm lol.

• Like 3

Hey this show has tons of creepy stuff. Sheldon and Penny, Leonard dating that women to get a grant, Lenny singing soft kitty to Sheldon, Sheldon sleeping in Lenny's living room like their grown kid. Part of the shows charm lol.

Sheldon snd Penny is the least creepy on your list.
  • Like 1

Heh true, in all honesty I enjoy Sheldon and Penny scenes. I just in any form or capacity, do not enjoy them staring at each other. I know it was for a joke, and it was meant to be funny. But all the rational and logic in the world, cannot shake that feeling like ants under my skin lol, but maybe that's just me. I was relieved when next taping Lenny were making out e.t.c.

• Like 1

Heh true, in all honesty I enjoy Sheldon and Penny scenes. I just in any form or capacity, do not enjoy them staring at each other. I know it was for a joke, and it was meant to be funny. But all the rational and logic in the world, cannot shake that feeling like ants under my skin lol, but maybe that's just me. I was relieved when next taping Lenny were making out e.t.c.

Sheldon has seen her naked and grabbed her boob and that's when Lenny were going out. Staring into each other's eyes is nothing compared to that. Edited by Chrismo

Agreed except for Sheldon and Penny. I actually like their relationship and I maintain that it was only when Penny began interacting with Sheldon (where sex was off the table) that she was allowed to really come into her own as a character, quirks and all. Nothing to do with the other chaps, but a slight dig at the showrunners whose original conception of Penny seemed to just be 'the hot girl'. Around Sheldon, Penny's hotness was largely irrelevant. They could play off each other as characters without the constant objectification of Cuoco (and before this gets into a 'Well, the Shamies objectify Jim!' let me quickly say I have little problem with lusting after an attractive person. My issue here is just that it's nice to see attractive female actors get to be quirky,  or funny or whatever in addition to being attractive).

So I do not ship Sheldon and Penny, but it was the interaction of Sheldon and Penny on the show that made me think 'hey, there might be something to this show'. And then Amy and Bernie joined, and the show began to spend more time with the Amy/Penny/Bernie (One True Trio!) 

But there's plenty of creepiness in the Amy/Penny relationship history (hoo boy, is there ever). There's creepiness inherent in any unequal and/or co-dependent relationship (which  you could say about basically any pairing on the show). phanta's going to come along in a minute and point out that it's for comic effect. and I kind of agree. I kind of go along with it because the show doesn't pretend that any of this is ideal or normal, and it's (mostly) done with heart and humour. When it is mean-spirited or nasty in a sustained way, I'll stop watching.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 4