The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

So only Mayim and Mellissa yet to sign? Looks like things are moving forward.

They were signed months ago.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The thing about Chuck Lorre threatening to write Raj and Howard off the show if they did not agree to their new contract by 3pm today, I wonder how much truth there is to that? Would the producers really have written them off or was that a tactic of there on order to get Simon and Kunal to sign quickly after the other three signed so production would be delayed no more? Was that meant to scare then so they could get this over with?

I wonder how that would have work? How would they have explain Howard and Raj absent? What would have happen to Bernadette? How much would the show have changed? Would the ratings have fallen?

I am very relieved it never came to that!!

Edited by TVFAN13

Guys, the negotiations were between the actors and Warner Brothers. Lorre gets a cut of the profits Warner Brothers make, just like the actors do with their points. If he was working on a story about getting rid of Howard and Raj, it was because Warner Brothers were going to let them go, not him. He would have been told they weren't coming back and would have been just trying to explain why they weren't there.

• Like 6

that is funny SRAM

I don't think the producers will focus on the individual characters, after all the heart of comedy on the show comes from the couples interactions with individualism attached to it   Lenny's wedding, Shamy's romance, Raj and Emily, (  I thin Raj will end up lonely ) some one has to be the odd one in the gang; and Horwadette's kids.   I could see those being the major parameters to season 10. Career changes, living locations, life ambitions, things to look for until the end of show

Mmm yeah another gripe I have (I am watching the finalie tonight in NZ) is the the writers lack of continuity. For one wasen't it settled in S6 Penny would propose to Leonard? Leonard demanded the whole shebang haha. So while the engagement it self was low key, it had to be the writers couldent to some extravagant proposal scene, for one it just woulden't feel like Big Bang, or what kind of relationship Lenny is. Most of their pivotal moments have either been in the hallway, apartments, and low key but impactful. So that and the amount of proposals gave it a air of inevitability. But even look at the jokes in Big Bang, a lot of people criticize it for being too predictable. But that's the point predictable as it, the quality in delivary has always been on point. I guess they had their moment in 7x23, and in the final the writers choose to reinforce one of the running gag of the series. It's not really about the level of expectation when it came to the engagement, but the delevary of it. It also was poorly choreographed, as someone pointed out on the S8 Discussion thread for Sheldon to be excited about Raj having coitus, especially considering this was the same Sheldon the episode before was againgst it. Also the same Sheldon in S3 who was Raj's wingman haha love that episode with Sheldon and the Hulk Hands, who had zero clue that the chick wanted coitus. Yet the same Sheldon three years later, is jumping up and down like a cheerleader over Raj and coitus?! Yeah yeah I know Sheldon has grown but he is still Sheldon. Everyone circling around Raj having coitus seeing it doesn't happen often which was why Bernadette was used for the joke, could actually be funny and would work, but it was wrong place wrong time. Leonard and Penny are the show's longest running couple, it was the biggest moment in the entire show, using it as a plot device for a joke about "Oh you do this all the time" makes you wonder how they well deal with other big moments, theirs a time and a place anyway.

• Like 1

Mmm yeah another gripe I have (I am watching the finalie tonight in NZ) is the the writers lack of continuity. For one wasen't it settled in S6 Penny would propose to Leonard? Leonard demanded the whole shebang haha. So while the engagement it self was low key, it had to be the writers couldent to some extravagant proposal scene, for one it just woulden't feel like Big Bang, or what kind of relationship Lenny is. Most of their pivotal moments have either been in the hallway, apartments, and low key but impactful. So that and the amount of proposals gave it a air of inevitability. But even look at the jokes in Big Bang, a lot of people criticize it for being too predictable. But that's the point predictable as it, the quality in delivary has always been on point. I guess they had their moment in 7x23, and in the final the writers choose to reinforce one of the running gag of the series. It's not really about the level of expectation when it came to the engagement, but the delevary of it. It also was poorly choreographed, as someone pointed out on the S8 Discussion thread for Sheldon to be excited about Raj having coitus, especially considering this was the same Sheldon the episode before was againgst it. Also the same Sheldon in S3 who was Raj's wingman haha love that episode with Sheldon and the Hulk Hands, who had zero clue that the chick wanted coitus. Yet the same Sheldon three years later, is jumping up and down like a cheerleader over Raj and coitus?! Yeah yeah I know Sheldon has grown but he is still Sheldon. Everyone circling around Raj having coitus seeing it doesn't happen often which was why Bernadette was used for the joke, could actually be funny and would work, but it was wrong place wrong time. Leonard and Penny are the show's longest running couple, it was the biggest moment in the entire show, using it as a plot device for a joke about "Oh you do this all the time" makes you wonder how they well deal with other big moments, theirs a time and a place anyway.

I have to admit I was initially a little disappointed at how the Lenny proposal went, having been anticipating 'the whole nine yards', that being said I have to say it has grown on me.. It was very Lenny, almost descending into a fight because of a miscommunication, then Leonard down on his knee and penny's 'oh my god yes' was a beautiful moment. Plus, maybe the lack of a grand proposal on Penny's part paves the way for future romantic gestures..

• Like 6

I have to admit I was initially a little disappointed at how the Lenny proposal went, having been anticipating 'the whole nine yards', that being said I have to say it has grown on me.. It was very

Lenny, almost descending into a fight because of a miscommunication, then Leonard down on his knee and penny's 'oh my god yes' was a beautiful moment. Plus, maybe the lack of a grand proposal on Penny's part paves the way for future romantic gestures..

Oh yeah i liked it too, i just prefered the writers diddnt make light of it in the finalie, and diminish it but thats just me.

Oh yeah i liked it too, i just prefered the writers diddnt make light of it in the finalie, and diminish it but thats just me.

I agree with, the proposal to me was okay, Leonard coming up with the ring, on one knee, and Penny getting emotional with the from the heart 'YES' from her saved it for me. Could it have better, definitely, but it was very Lenny, a heated discussion then it coming out. I really think the way she did it sort of convinced me that when she first proposed to him she was actually sober enough and meant it, because her reasoning in both episodes was the same, Leonard was the best thing that ever happened to her and her happiness centered around him. The finale took so much away from all that joy of the whole engagement, the way their friends acted, and the scene with Raj talking about bedding Emily seemed forced and made their friends seem a little shallow.

• Like 2

Why is everyone so upset about Raj upstaging them? These two have been dating for two years, known each other even longer, and have already had four previous failed proposals. At this point, they were all just waiting for the timing to be right. In addition, this has never been a syrupy, sentimental group of friends, so an emotional scene would have frankly been very lame. Raj, on the other hand, has been lonely and without a significant other for some time, so he and Emily taking that step in their relationship is more significant, even Leonard and Penny realized that. 

• Like 4

Why is everyone so upset about Raj upstaging them? These two have been dating for two years, known each other even longer, and have already had four previous failed proposals. At this point, they were all just waiting for the timing to be right. In addition, this has never been a syrupy, sentimental group of friends, so an emotional scene would have frankly been very lame. Raj, on the other hand, has been lonely and without a significant other for some time, so he and Emily taking that step in their relationship is more significant, even Leonard and Penny realized that. 

I also agree with you about that it was not a big deal Raj upstaging them. But others also don't understand the significance of Penny having a job. In reality her employment has never been an important factor on the show compared to the others. It seems to me if she wasn't going to become an actress have her become a sales rep for Bernie's company seems to be a real stretch. Unless it's a temporary fix for money or a conflict with Leonard it's going to be as important to the show as her actual acting career.

I also agree with you about that it was not a big deal Raj upstaging them. But others also don't understand the significance of Penny having a job. In reality her employment has never been an important factor on the show compared to the others. It seems to me if she wasn't going to become an actress have her become a sales rep for Bernie's company seems to be a real stretch. Unless it's a temporary fix for money or a conflict with Leonard it's going to be as important to the show as her actual acting career.

Huh? I have no idea what that has to do with my post, but I know a few drug reps and I and I assure you it is not a stretch. Most could have second careers as actors, are very warm and charming, so personality-wise Penny is perfect for it. Being in sales requires a lot of acting to begin with, as you must convince your clients that the product you are selling is better than it (usually) is. I've always thought Penny would be great in the corporate world for that reason, and you don't necessarily need some prestigious degree to be successful (a fair portion of the Forbes 500 don't have them). So I could see how an employer could see the potential in Penny and decide to bring her on, especially when she came  recommended by someone who has made them a lot of money. 

Sorry if that is a bit OT but the Cohabitation Formulation is on and Pamy is so lovely on that!!! <3 Fingers crossed for cool besties scenes!!! I would love to see them play video games again!!!

Huh? I have no idea what that has to do with my post, but I know a few drug reps and I and I assure you it is not a stretch. Most could have second careers as actors, are very warm and charming, so personality-wise Penny is perfect for it. Being in sales requires a lot of acting to begin with, as you must convince your clients that the product you are selling is better than it (usually) is. I've always thought Penny would be great in the corporate world for that reason, and you don't necessarily need some prestigious degree to be successful (a fair portion of the Forbes 500 don't have them). So I could see how an employer could see the potential in Penny and decide to bring her on, especially when she came  recommended by someone who has made them a lot of money. 

While what you say may be true IMO she will never be overly successful in her career. It really doesn't fit into the show. I could see her having some initial success with sales but not from her acting but from how she looks(for the laughs). Sales, as you mentioned, does have a connection with acting and personality-wise Penny may be perfect for it. But like acting the success rate at it overall is very low. Bernadette's recommendation will only help so much. I think at this point after 7 seasons of the show and Penny's career  going nowhere  something had to change and this was it. I have a feeling by season 10 this sales rep job will be a distant memory.

Sorry if that is a bit OT but the Cohabitation Formulation is on and Pamy is so lovely on that!!! <3 Fingers crossed for cool besties scenes!!! I would love to see them play video games again!!!

Agreed.  I also liked them together listening to their fellas on Science Friday.

While what you say may be true IMO she will never be overly successful in her career. It really doesn't fit into the show. I could see her having some initial success with sales but not from her acting but from how she looks(for the laughs). Sales, as you mentioned, does have a connection with acting and personality-wise Penny may be perfect for it. But like acting the success rate at it overall is very low. Bernadette's recommendation will only help so much. I think at this point after 7 seasons of the show and Penny's career  going nowhere  something had to change and this was it. I have a feeling by season 10 this sales rep job will be a distant memory.

Why are you so opposed to the idea of Penny having success? How does it "not fit into the show"? I don't like the idea of Penny only having success for her looks and do not find it funny or believable, in fact I find the suggestion to be quite misogynistic. While it helps to be attractive in the profession, as it does in most, it most certainly will not get medical professionals to spend a large sum of money on a product they are otherwise uninterested in. To say otherwise is an insult to the characters and the audiences' intelligence. I don't know how long this drug rep plot will last, and I know I'm in the minority around here for not wanting Penny to spend the rest of her days barefoot, pregnant, and dependent; but giving Penny career success is long overdue and I hope the showrunners agree.  

[snip] . It also was poorly choreographed, as someone pointed out on the S8 Discussion thread for Sheldon to be excited about Raj having coitus, especially considering this was the same Sheldon the episode before was againgst it. Also the same Sheldon in S3 who was Raj's wingman haha love that episode with Sheldon and the Hulk Hands, who had zero clue that the chick wanted coitus. Yet the same Sheldon three years later, is jumping up and down like a cheerleader over Raj and coitus?! Yeah yeah I know Sheldon has grown but he is still Sheldon. Everyone circling around Raj having coitus seeing it doesn't happen often which was why Bernadette was used for the joke, could actually be funny and would work, but it was wrong place wrong time. Leonard and Penny are the show's longest running couple, it was the biggest moment in the entire show, using it as a plot device for a joke about "Oh you do this all the time" makes you wonder how they well deal with other big moments, theirs a time and a place anyway.

You are right but that is the way it roles on tbbt. They put Sheldon OOC for the sake of a joke. I can only think the writers figure most of the audience would not notice.

Why are you so opposed to the idea of Penny having success? How does it "not fit into the show"? I don't like the idea of Penny only having success for her looks and do not find it funny or believable, in fact I find the suggestion to be quite misogynistic. While it helps to be attractive in the profession, as it does in most, it most certainly will not get medical professionals to spend a large sum of money on a product they are otherwise uninterested in. To say otherwise is an insult to the characters and the audiences' intelligence. I don't know how long this drug rep plot will last, and I know I'm in the minority around here for not wanting Penny to spend the rest of her days barefoot, pregnant, and dependent; but giving Penny career success is long overdue and I hope the showrunners agree.

The majority of people on here don't want babies on the show so the barefoot and pregnant scenario for Penny IMO won't happen. The problem is most of the characters on the show were successful from the beginning. Bernadette waitressed while going to school and then had success. Penny in turn was unsuccessful(career wise) from the beginning and has been shown on the show as, at best, not trying too hard to have a successful career. Last season she claimed to put 100% effort into her acting but now appears Bernadette this season get her a job. Maybe she will become successful, I don't know, but the show has gone 7 seasons with her not and it's been the number one comedy on TV. IMO the show will go on with or without her being successful. Saying that though the show would never survive without her.

I don't know how long this drug rep plot will last, and I know I'm in the minority around here for not wanting Penny to spend the rest of her days barefoot, pregnant, and dependent; but giving Penny career success is long overdue and I hope the showrunners agree.

What I've always objected to was your characterizing Leonard's helping Penny, monetarily, while she works on getting her career going, as turning Penny into some sort of useless failure. I know quite a few, and know of many others, both male and female, who rely on their SO, while they work on their career. Whether it's acting, trying to become a musician, doctor, lawyer, etc. that doesn't make them dependent, that makes the couple a team. As much as you gripe about how well they are working together as a committed couple, it almost appears as if you have a problem with them getting together.

Penny having more success in something would be wonderful. That doesn't make her a useless parasite while Leonard supports her while she works on it.

• Like 3

Penny's importance to the group and to the show IMO has never been about her job. While at times it's been a main story line the guys jobs at the university has always been more important because the university has been like another character. There was a season 4 episode when Amy tells Sheldon that Leonard is the core of the group. Everyone is centered around him. Sheldon didn't want to believe it but Amy was right. Now I'm not so sure with A/B on the show full time that Penny's not the center of the group. It seems she has interactions with the others that Leonard and Sheldon don't. While we could disagree about the good and bad points on relying on Leonard for monetary help I'm not so sure how important that really is. As @Tensor pointed out I do agree it would be wonderful if Penny had more success with her career but I'm not sure how much in the end it matters.

• Like 1

@billprady: Good morning. http://t.co/k0MDaNFPvh

Does anyone notice the Date on the script Reads August 6? Do they print the scripts out the day before the Table Read for that Episode or did they go back and re-print them with 8/06 on them? I am wondering especially considering that the first table read was as we was suppose to be last week.

vyquse2e.jpg

• Like 1

What I've always objected to was your characterizing Leonard's helping Penny, monetarily, while she works on getting her career going, as turning Penny into some sort of useless failure. I know quite a few, and know of many others, both male and female, who rely on their SO, while they work on their career. Whether it's acting, trying to become a musician, doctor, lawyer, etc. that doesn't make them dependent, that makes the couple a team. As much as you gripe about how well they are working together as a committed couple, it almost appears as if you have a problem with them getting together.

Two of my closest friends are in law school and they both work while having fiancées, so I don't see why these individuals cannot contribute while going after what they want. Of course one partner will always make at least a tiny bit more than the other, but it's tough to consider it a joint or team effort when one partner is bringing everything to the table. I imagine it puts a lot of pressure on that person. Half of all marriages fail, so I also contemplate what would happen in those situation, moreso when you are relying on someone who is not your spouse (and can thus leave whenever the hell they want). Then the person who was being subsidized is left with a gap in their resume and a tab, and would only have themselves to thank.

Bottom line, it is a gamble, and an unnecessary one at that. I do not see as romantic in the least.

This script says 1st Revision down at the bottom, so I think it's a revision of whatever they may have originally had.

The script that Jim took a picture of this morning from home had a pink cover, so this one may be a revision of that one, thus the current date.

• Like 1