S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after the way Sheldon reacted when he was given that napkin with Leonard Nimoy's DNA... i would suppose that they would incorporate his death in one of the upcoming episodes. And they should.

(maybe Sheldon asks Amy for one of her healthy ova to reproduce him???? who knows. :p )

Edited by Kelli

The discussion-that went crazy on internet and even at the office today-about "what color is that dress" reminded me here very very much :D

I saw that on GMA this morning--and when people were saying they saw white and gold I was like, "HOW???  It's black and blue!"

So weird.

In response to a poster's question a couple of pages ago, I really hope that TBBT doesn't get stretched past season 10. As it is , I'm in agreement with another poster who said that the quality of the show has decreased in seasons 7 and 8. In my opinion it has. It is still a good show, but (again IMHO) miles away from the quality of seasons 1-6. I hope TPTB don't stretch it past season 10.

Please let us not speak of the dress. My online presence has been interrupted far too much by that goddamn dress. If it ends up in a BBT episode - now that's an episode I'll avoid!

Apparently they were discussing it on the TBBT set today.  Kaley posted a short video on IG of a few people saying what color they thought it was, then she turned her phone on herself and said, "WHO CARES?!?!"  :p

Is it me or is it a coincidence that last week episode was showing Shenny will never being romantic and now this week showing Lenny not being s boring couple? I find it hard to believe that TPTB came up with these ideas out of thin air.

Edited by Chrismo

Isn't it me or is it a coincidence that last week episode was showing Shenny will never being romantic and now this week showing Lenny not being s boring couple? I find it hard to believe that TPTB came up with these ideas out of thin air.

Given how much this season has been matching in my case, the Shamy wishlists that are floating around online I'm having a hard time thinking that TPTB are telling the truth on how they get their ideas. There's just too much "coincidental" overlap especially this season. So although I really don't think they are on these forums or on fanfiction.net per say, they are definitely somehow more aware of fan desires. I think we'll be seeing better Lenny from here on to the season finale due to that.

The writers have to make the show what the fans want it to be or it would lose ratings.

This poses an interesting question- does an episode which heavily involves Shamy or Lenny get better ratings than one which doesn't because of promos, episode descriptions etc which air before an episode and tell the audiences what to expect? I don't expect the difference to be massive, but I wonder if there is any correlation between Shamy or Lenny centric-storylines being advertised before an episode airs and higher ratings for certain episodes.

Possibly something which Tensor might be able to answer please?

Edited by Stewie99

A little bit different a question but I saw the promo for Thursday but have seen no photos. Wouldn't there normally be photos by now? Ironically the promo this week iMO is the third storyline in importance so Stewie might have a point.

Edited by Chrismo

I was just watching Intimacy Acceleration again, and I noticed Sheldon made an error in logic.  At the beginning when they say questions and eye-staring cause people to fall in love (x and y -> z), Sheldon's counterexample is he fell in love without eye-staring (z but not y).  However, a counterexample to disprove x and y -> z would have to be x and y but not z, i.e., two people did questions and eye-staring but didn't fall in love.  Anybody else notice that?

I was just watching Intimacy Acceleration again, and I noticed Sheldon made an error in logic.  At the beginning when they say questions and eye-staring cause people to fall in love (x and y -> z), Sheldon's counterexample is he fell in love without eye-staring (z but not y).  However, a counterexample to disprove x and y -> z would have to be x and y but not z, i.e., two people did questions and eye-staring but didn't fall in love.  Anybody else notice that?

I noticed that something was off with that logic (he said it as if the experiment was supposed to be the only way to fall in love, which is not true), but I let it go.

I noticed that something was off with that logic (he said it as if the experiment was supposed to be the only way to fall in love, which is not true), but I let it go.

Twas not a criticism, just an observation.  I swear I'm not one of those people who stares at the whiteboards and expects everything to be perfect.  

Twas not a criticism, just an observation. I swear I'm not one of those people who stares at the whiteboards and expects everything to be perfect.

I think Denyy was kidding with the "let it go" theme of the episode before Acceleration. Interesting observation I didn't notice before.

Edited by Cecilia

Twas not a criticism, just an observation.  I swear I'm not one of those people who stares at the whiteboards and expects everything to be perfect.  

Yeah, I  was just kidding! Sorry if it sounded badly. :)

Hey, you say that like it's a bad thing.....

Edited by wowbagger

Yeah, I  was just kidding! Sorry if it sounded badly. :)

No worries.  It's sometimes hard to tell online if people are kidding.  I'm a college math instructor so I'm hyper-aware of logical fallacies.  I'm also a Shamy fan so I can forgive the fallacy since it was really just an excuse to remind us that Sheldon loves Amy.

In post 10026 Stewie99 said that the writers have to make the show the fans want or otherwise they will loose ratings (sorry but my quote function doesn't work) . I don't think that is necessarily true. In a perfect world the writers write the story that makes sense , that has internal logic, and that doesn't betray any of their characters, and their respective arcs, and if it is quality writing, the people will follow. Sometimes writers don't give us what we want, but what is needed for the story to progress how it's supposed to. If we all knew what the story should be, we'd all be writers, and that's not the case. That being said, of course I can't say that I'm enjoying the writing as of late. Don't get me wrong , it is still good, but if I started watching now, I don't think I would get hooked on TBBT. For me the fact that earlier seasons were so good makes comparisons more jarring.  However I must point out I am happy those seasons exist as I consider them some of TV's most iconic moments.

In post 10026 Stewie99 said that the writers have to make the show the fans want or otherwise they will loose ratings (sorry but my quote function doesn't work) . I don't think that is necessarily true. In a perfect world the writers write the story that makes sense , that has internal logic, and that doesn't betray any of their characters, and their respective arcs, and if it is quality writing, the people will follow. Sometimes writers don't give us what we want, but what is needed for the story to progress how it's supposed to. If we all knew what the story should be, we'd all be writers, and that's not the case. That being said, of course I can't say that I'm enjoying the writing as of late. Don't get me wrong , it is still good, but if I started watching now, I don't think I would get hooked on TBBT. For me the fact that earlier seasons were so good makes comparisons more jarring.  However I must point out I am happy those seasons exist as I consider them some of TV's most iconic moments.

I think you are right to a certain extent, but if the writers did something drastic like having Shamy break up or killing a character off á la Two and a Half Men, I think the show would lose some of it's following. Of course there will be people who will watch the show whatever happens, but a large amount of the audience are only there because the show makes them laugh. If it stops doing that, the writers are not giving the fans what they want and so the show would therefore suffer a drop in the ratings.