S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

I googled Matt Bennett.  He looks like Simon/Howard in the face.  He's cute in a geeky little-kid kind of way.

"Because that's all you needed."  I love it; that's the exact thing the nurse said when it originally happened.

I think we can eliminate a couple of the possible letter contents, (Season 6 Episode 19: The Closet Reconfiguration) after hearing that Howard's dad ran out on another family. 

Penny: It was a letter explaining that your dad wasn’t who he said he was. Eventually, his other life caught up to him, and the only way to keep you and your mom safe was to leave.

Leonard: Okay, my turn. Your dad wrote about how family is the most important thing, and that you should never throw it away like he did.

Once, maybe but TWICE, I don't think so.

I think we can eliminate a couple of the possible letter contents, (Season 6 Episode 19: The Closet Reconfiguration) after hearing that Howard's dad ran out on another family. 

Penny: It was a letter explaining that your dad wasn’t who he said he was. Eventually, his other life caught up to him, and the only way to keep you and your mom safe was to leave.

Leonard: Okay, my turn. Your dad wrote about how family is the most important thing, and that you should never throw it away like he did.

Once, maybe but TWICE, I don't think so.

Do you remember in that episode if they said how long ago Howard had gotten the letter?  If it was fairly recently, the realization could (in theory) have come after he left the second family.

Do you remember in that episode if they said how long ago Howard had gotten the letter? If it was fairly recently, the realization could (in theory) have come after he left the second family.

He got it on his 18th birthday.

Lucy could have started to overcome her social anxiety just like Raj overcame his selective mutism. I preferred her quirks to Emilie's quirk.

I was often astounded by how negative this forum was towards Lucy. She actually reminded me of someone I know.

That baffles me too. I accepted people on this forum to be more accepting or at least more understanding of her, especially given how quirky-and sometimes difficult to deal with-some main characters are.

My real issue with the character was not the actress or the essential idea of the character, but of how the writers never really developed her. She said some variation of that one line in almost every episode she was in! I don't know if they didn't know what to do with her or they just didn't want to spend a lot of time on her because they knew she was only temporary or what, but she got kind of old rather quickly.

I do hope they do more than just the "I like to cut things" bit with Emily.

You know, when Emily was first introduced I would have said you were right but now that her dark side keeps getting more and more graphic with each episode and is the only source of humor regarding her character (except for the episode where she was basically bullying Howard-and that too had some of cutting people jokes-and that whole Penny thing that created more conflict than resolving them) I think that argument is getting weak...

At least Lucy had a clear reason for her quirks, no matter how unlikeable they night have been, while Emily remains a dark mystery...

Also, many characters display their quirks in almost every episode Sheldon and his rules-clear result of his OCD. The only difference was that Lucy would flat out state the cause behind her quirks.

First scene

Sheldon is at the cafeteria with the 3 guys. He is sad that he isn't invited to a physics symposium at Richard Feynman’s former house.

2nd scene

Howard’s mom’s house with Raj, Bernadette, and Howard. Howard’s mom’s house has been signed over to Howard. His dad did this through a lawyer. No contact with Howard.

3rd scene,

Penny is doing a podcast with Wil Wheaton about serial apeist

4th scene,

date night at sheldon's apt. Candlelit at kitchen island. Sheldon is moody about not being invited to the symposium. Amy reminds him that being moody isn't allowed on date night (it's in the agreement). Sheldon has found a workaround loophole. He holds up a his smiling face to cover his head. There, now he’s happy.

5th scene,

wolowitz mother's house. Howard Raj and Bernadette. They discuss redecorating. The doorbell rings, it's Howard's half brother, Josh. (His father's name was Sam). Josh is played by Matt Bennett.

6th scene,

Penny, Leonard, Wil podcast. Wil now has Kevin Smith on as well (voice heard only, though he was there) He likes Serial Apeist! He invites Penny to read for Clerks 3

Scene 7,

Shamy. Amy commiserates that she knows how it feels to be left out. Sheldon's sister and brother would build forts and leave him out. Amy says she can't help with being left out of the symposium, but they could build a fort together

Scene 8,

Howard's mom's house. Josh studies oceanography at San Diego. Howard has gone to the dining room, and chats with Raj about how he's upset. When he comes back out, Josh is excited about how his brother is an astronaut! Howard is now more enthused

Scene 9,

Back to Penny, Leonard and Wil. They are all still on the air for the podcast. Lenny bicker about the possibility of Penny going back to acting. Penny, it seems, is very successful. She makes 2x what leonard does.

Scene 10,

Shamy in their blanket fort (pre-recorded) The fort is cute, and we see inside it they have lights strung up (like christmas lights) They sit on the floor to "rough it". He says his smile doesn't need the sign now.

Scene 11,

Back to Howard, Raj, Bernadette and Josh. It turns out Howard's father left Josh's family as well. They hate him. This makes Howard happy, he feels less like something was wrong with him.

Scene 12,

Back to Penny's, still in podcast, Leonard wants to know where Penny's money is. She says it's diversified into stocks and bonds, she has a guy. Leonard doesn't have a guy, he doesn't have money. Penny says he should get some (money). Leonard notes that Penny is now being the mature one. She wants to know if it would help him feel better if she auditioned for clerks 3. Leonard says it would. Wil says Leonard has been played like a violin. Leonard agrees.

Scene 13, playback.

Shamy have made a best fort bracket, and their fort is in the final 4. Amy’s watch alarm indicates time is up for date night. It’s Sheldon who suggests that they go beyond the scheduled time. A sleepover is suggested. Sheldon agrees, if it is rated G. Amy wants PG. They compromise. Sheldon asks if she needs pajamas or a toothbrush. Amy asks if if would freak him out to know she had some stashed under the couch cushion, and whips them out to show him.

Scene 14,

Howard, Bernadette, Raj, Josh. Howard’s brother always wanted someone to play catch with. Bernadette says he’ll have to keep waiting. Howard mentions throwing the first pitch at the angels’ game. Bernadette points out that he did it with a robot. Josh thinks the “it” refers to sex. Raj says he did that too. When Josh goes to leave, they hope to see each other again. Josh asks if the robot was cute. Howard says he didn’t build the whole thing, just the arm. Josh says “because that’s all you needed.” Yup, definitely Howard’s brother.

Scene 15, playback

Shamy. Leonard arrives home. Sheldon pops his head out, and then Amy does. Sheldon want Leonard to ask to be in the fort so he can tell him no. When Leonard asks, Sheldon lets him come in though, the fort is too great to say no. Leonard goes to sit on the floor. Sheldon says not there, that’s my spot.

Thank you! It sounds like a great episode! Very cute and honest for all characters involved... and great development for Lenny and Shamy... I wonder what Bernadette's reaction about the hand thing was though.

Well Kate Micucci had a star role in a new series in 2014 (Garfunkel and Oates). So it looked like she would not likely be available. As most new comedy series it did not last. My guess is that part time characters may come and go. The writers might not want to expand the character too much if their availability is in question and they may not want another character in every episode. they may also want to keep Raj's options open a bit because they don't necessarily want all their weekly characters coupled up.

Garfunkel and Oates finished it's air recently and wasn't renewed for a second season, so she may be available now. I don't think they will bring her back though, at least not this season. But if they do, I would like to see her with Stuart. Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1

[snip]

Garfunkel and Oates finished it's air recently and wasn't renewed for a second season, so she may be available now. I don't think they will bring her back though, at least not this season. But if they do, I would like to see her with Stuart.

The writers are full of surprises. I would not want to guess how many girlfriends Raj may have over the next few seasons or how often any one might pop up again. It seems to me any recurring but not regular character could potentially get a better offer someplace else.

omg sounds amazing. Thats to those who provided the details!!

So Penny would be heading to NJ to read for Kevin (he is based in NJ)..... She may actually be the one to leave over the summer...unless Leonard goes with her

Big Kevin Smith fan...cant wait for my hubby to see an episode with Kevin and Wheaton. He is gonna freak

Sounds like such a good episode laying more groundwork as we head into the finale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 2

Maybe Wil is coming back to tell Penny how great it was to have a cameo in Sharknado 2 and inspires her to audition for Sharknado 3 ( it's happening people). She gets the part thanks to Wil, kisses him in appreciation, Leonard sees it, says "Hey we haven't kissed for like 16 episodes and he turns up and gets one straight away!" Cracks its and they break up, with Wil thinking" I've got to stop doing this to these two!"

Not a bad effort at predicting upcoming episode, considering it was a bad joke! Penny gets a shot at a movie thanks to hanging out with Wil, Leonard not happy about it, Wil is sort of involved in messing with the Lenny again. 

Love that Penny HAS become a cult figure because of Apeist. That has to have an effect on her rekindling of the desire to act. Not sure if she is being seriously delusional again about awards and fame or just throwing that in for the 'fight' with Leonard. But I do like that the acting is back in the story.

Thanks Trina and Rule. Great reports. Sounds like an episode I'll like a lot. Like the Howard brother bits, specially the end.

• Like 3

Being that Leonard's from New Jersey as is Kevin Smith a possible Lennyroad trip could be coming. It's sound like Penny has money saved now so she could afford to quit or tale a long vacation from her sales job. Interesting twist with Howard's half brother though IMO predictable that they would have a plot with Howard getting the house. The Shamy plot is a bit of a filler. When I was 8 I use to play that forts. . I think you need to take that storyline at face value IMO.

1.I'm glad they are resolving the issue with Howard and the house. It was logical for Howard to inherit it.This might also be the push they need to start a family. Howard wants one. Maybe they'll start considering it.  Perhaps the brother was brought on to create conflict later. I wonder what will happen with Stuart. 

2. As for the Lenny plot, well, something was bound to get in their way. The show started with them and it will end with them. Something had to happen to delay their plans. And it is a good time for Penny to revert back to the career she had originally gone to California for. Hopefully, she has managed to save some money this year. 

3. As for Shamy, this was a great first step for them to get closer and be comfortable around each other..even at night. :)

Season 9 will definitely be interesting for all couples

• Like 1

This episode sounds great. It's sounds like the writers hit something on almost everyone's wish list. It's almost like they are up to something...

The one sad note. It's not the writers fault. I am just insanely bummed  that Dante and Randall are still working at their respective stores in Clerks III. It's been 21 years Dante, you are not even supposed to be there, man!

And Clerks 3 is real. It's a thing. And I am going to go see it. And if I ever meet Kevin Smith, he and I will have words.

It will be a wonderful thing to have Kevin Smith widen his audience to include us tribe members of TBBT. Although you may want to start slowly with the rom-com Jersey Girl with Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler (and occasional Smith supporting actor George Carlin!).

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk