S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

I can see everyone looves this guy and then it turns out that he is a total jerk

I can see this guy being super nice, but then flirting with all the girls behind the guys' backs.  My favorite would be him hitting on Amy and Sheldon finding out about it.  Howard's brother would be fighting with forces beyond his ken!

I think the big difference between Emily and Lucy was Emily can interact with the others in the group and can be normal. She was able to interact with the entire group when she first met them all. Also when she did the room escape with Amy and Leonard she just seemed to fit the group. Lucy wasn"t able to. I think for Raj it's important whoever he dates she gets along with the other 6. At this point the only problem she has is with Penny.

I could see showdown in the future between Penny and Emily putting the guys in the middle a la Howardette and Shamy over the parking space.

Edited by mphs95

Not sure why Leonard is trying to hold penny back from what she wants to do and being unhappy about her earning more than him

I think penny will go away alone this summer which will be a test for their relationship and get married mid s9

I doubt they'll send someone away again over the summer, they've used that plot for the last 3 finales I doubt they'll do it again. At least not for the this season anyway.

Not sure why Leonard is trying to hold penny back from what she wants to do and being unhappy about her earning more than him

I think penny will go away alone this summer which will be a test for their relationship and get married mid s9

There was a little more added on that scene in the Lenny topic. It seems she asks him why he is non supportive and he tells her that she was so bummed out before about her acting and he just doesn't want to take the chance she gets hurt again, so he is really thinking of her but he is being way over protective, which is just like Leonard.

When Penny wonders why Leonard isn't supporting her in this, he tells her that he's just trying to protect her from getting her heart broken by acting again. It didn't feel mean spirited or like they were going to break up over it. Leonard's just more cautious than Penny, as usual, and doesn't want to see her sad again like she was last season I think.

That is the actual post above.

This episode sounds great. It's sounds like the writers hit something on almost everyone's wish list. It's almost like they are up to something...

The one sad note. It's not the writers fault. I am just insanely bummed that Dante and Randall are still working at their respective stores in Clerks III. It's been 21 years Dante, you are not even supposed to be there, man!

And Clerks 3 is real. It's a thing. And I am going to go see it. And if I ever meet Kevin Smith, he and I will have words.

Kevin Smith has no fear of going meta, so who knows? Maybe kaley will have a part.
  • Like 3

Im kinda on Leonard side. Why give up a great job that she makes tons of money. I know acting is her dream but that ship has been sailed. Acting can be her side thing but it doesnt pay the bills.

Penny doesn't want to be an actress, she just wants to be rich and famous and acting seems like an easy way to do that.

That baffles me too. I accepted people on this forum to be more accepting or at least more understanding of her, especially given how quirky-and sometimes difficult to deal with-some main characters are.

I don't think any of the anti-Lucy sentiments have anything to do with her having social anxiety.  For me it was just that that's all the writers gave her.

There was one quick mention of her job which was never touched on again.  There were passing comments about other things, but for the most part all of her scenes focused on what she couldn't do and as someone else said, it really limited what they could do with her as a character.  And that stupid "I'm trying to do things that scare me" just felt like a lazy thing from the writers.  They couldn't seem to give her anything else to say or talk about.  She could have had a rich inner life from so much isolation, but they never explored that idea.

IMO, the writers never bothered to think about her very much in terms of character development, so her character was always doing the same thing over and over.  And again, it's no commentary on whether or not one accepts a character with such an issue, but whether or not the writers do anything to show that she had more to offer in terms of her place on the show.

All the guys have some kind of issue that makes them outsiders to a degree and Raj has had his share of crippling social anxiety.  But within his group, where he's more able to be himself, we've seen all kinds of clues to who he is, whether it's his metrosexuality or his knowledge of astrophysics or his cooking or whatever.

But with Lucy, either they didn't have time or they were disinclined, but we never heard much of anything about her personal life or what it was besides her neediness that drew Raj to her.

Thanks Trinabeana78 and Rule 34 for the TR.

Sounds interesting all around and I am intrigued by the Howard half brother/Lenny storyline. 

Is it possible that Penny takes off in the season finale for an acting job?  I know others have speculated that as well.

Either way, I am happy to see that part of her story hasn't been completely forgotten. 

More movement which feels pretty organic to this Shamy fan.  I like their pacing and I think this makes sense for this inexperienced couple trying to find their way to relationship that makes sense for them. 

Edited by Denise07

I think we can eliminate a couple of the possible letter contents, (Season 6 Episode 19: The Closet Reconfiguration) after hearing that Howard's dad ran out on another family. 

Penny: It was a letter explaining that your dad wasn’t who he said he was. Eventually, his other life caught up to him, and the only way to keep you and your mom safe was to leave.

Leonard: Okay, my turn. Your dad wrote about how family is the most important thing, and that you should never throw it away like he did.

Once, maybe but TWICE, I don't think so.

I don't think this episode eliminates either of these scenarios, especially Penny's letter.  It could be that his other life was with a relationship with another woman.  Keeping Howard and his mom safe might be a stretch, but the concept of having another life besides his life with Howard and Mrs. W could easily be true.

He doesn't seem to have formally divorced Mrs. W or else Howard might have known where he was--lawyers, settlements, alimony, etc.--so if he had another wife or girlfriend and another son, he was keeping them secret from each other.

And Leonard's sentiment could also still be true.  It depends on how old Josh is supposed to be and when he left that second family.

• Like 1

Penny doesn't want to be an actress, she just wants to be rich and famous and acting seems like an easy way to do that.

She already getting rich from her job. Irl physicists at cal tech can make up to 90,000. If she makes double leonard makes hell thats alot. I know its not real life but i doubt leonard makes.only 20-30,000 a yr. She wants the.famous part?

Guys I forgot to tell you that I was going to be on TBBT

I actually started a little fic about Penny having a little premiere (at some crappy little run-down theater) for SA2 and Emily knew the movie and was a big fan, but didn't realize it was Penny. LOL!

I actually started a little fic about Penny having a little premiere (at some crappy little run-down theater) for SA2 and Emily knew the movie and was a big fan, but didn't realize it was Penny. LOL!

Okay I can't resist this, she probably didn't recognize her because she had long hair in the movie and the Penny Emily met has short hair.

• Like 1

At the end of last season, there was some discussion of how cool it would be if SA2 became a cult favorite.  I'm excited they've gone that route.  Now I wish they'd actually make the movie.  They could throw together a low-budget B-movie fairly quickly, especially since Kaley isn't needed after her face goes gorilla.

At the end of last season, there was some discussion of how cool it would be if SA2 became a cult favorite.  I'm excited they've gone that route.  Now I wish they'd actually make the movie.  They could throw together a low-budget B-movie fairly quickly, especially since Kaley isn't needed after her face goes gorilla.

Kaley doing any kind of appearance on a clerk 3 would probably have a bigger payoff (if it got made and released). I for one had never heard of those movies before.

I watched Firefly on netflix because of the bbt references.

Funny, my son is working for a manufacturer and might have been laid off due to a slow down. Then some celebrity mentions the products on some talk show and the world wide sales jump so much that he is working overtime and they put on a second shift.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh...is this flight attendant one of the  Council of Ladies?    I mean how coincidental is this?  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/10/flight-attendant-uptown-funk-dance-video_n_6837040.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067  Has to be a BBT fan that knew about the flash mob, yes?

Possible, but I doubt it. She's from my city, Calgary, and this is a WestJet flight. WestJet (A Canadian airline based out of Calgary, and a WAY better choice to fly than Air Canada IMHO) is known for their sense of humour and playfulness; they do April Fools day videos each year (like the one where kids are to ride in the baggage hold--they show the kids being put in a bin and down the conveyor belt like a suitcase, thus giving adults a peaceful flight), as well as touching Christmas ones. They don't take themselves too seriously. :) So I doubt it was a TBBT flash mob copycat.

I don't think any of the anti-Lucy sentiments have anything to do with her having social anxiety. For me it was just that that's all the writers gave her.

There was one quick mention of her job which was never touched on again. There were passing comments about other things, but for the most part all of her scenes focused on what she couldn't do and as someone else said, it really limited what they could do with her as a character. And that stupid "I'm trying to do things that scare me" just felt like a lazy thing from the writers. They couldn't seem to give her anything else to say or talk about. She could have had a rich inner life from so much isolation, but they never explored that idea.

IMO, the writers never bothered to think about her very much in terms of character development, so her character was always doing the same thing over and over. And again, it's no commentary on whether or not one accepts a character with such an issue, but whether or not the writers do anything to show that she had more to offer in terms of her place on the show.

All the guys have some kind of issue that makes them outsiders to a degree and Raj has had his share of crippling social anxiety. But within his group, where he's more able to be himself, we've seen all kinds of clues to who he is, whether it's his metrosexuality or his knowledge of astrophysics or his cooking or whatever.

But with Lucy, either they didn't have time or they were disinclined, but we never heard much of anything about her personal life or what it was besides her neediness that drew Raj to her.

I never said that somebody on this forum dislikes her due to a mere fact that she has a social anxiety. And I actually did agree in some older posts that it was overdone. But I just find such disdain over her character pretty baffling, especially since this is a show where everyone has his/hers quirks that are blown out of proportion often, even annoying. When the mere chance of her coming back on the show, not necessarily to be with Raj, is mentioned, most of the people here act like it is the end of the world. There were few some pretty distasteful comments posted here and on some other sites some time ago, but I am not going to go there.

And, although I agree that Raj and Lucy are not right for each other, I don't really get the whole thrill over Emily's relationship with Raj either, or see her as much better than Lucy. At one hand, she is at least able to spend a faze with Raj and discuss about serious things with him without running to the bathroom at least once. On the other hand, by this point writers have her do that dark murder-based jokes in almost every single scene that she is in. Not to mention her conflict with Howard in season seven and the one with Penny in season eight. At least, with Lucy's quirks, there was a reason behind them, no matter how annoying they were. Emily is still a mystery. Pretty dark one. Does she really feel that way? Because that would be sick. Or is she just joking around? Because that just doesn't sit well with me, especially not by this point. I always try to approach everything that baffles me at first with the fact that it is all a comedy in my mind, but that doesn't mean that I can like/tolerate everything that writers do. On the one hand, Raj doesn't need to constantly worry about saying something that would cause them to drift apart while he is with her. On the other hand, her creepy jokes are obviously starting to freak him out more and more. But still, judging by some comments, Emily's characters seems almost adored and rarely anyone has problems with her. That baffles me to no end. I mean, mildly annoying vs no longer just mildly creepy...

Edited by Mislav

I never said that somebody on this forum dislikes her due to a mere fact that she has a social anxiety. And I actually did agree in some older posts that it was overdone. But I just find such disdain over her character pretty baffling, especially since this is a show where everyone has his/hers quirks that are blown out of proportion often, even annoying. When the mere chance of her coming back on the show, not necessarily to be with Raj, is mentioned, most of the people here act like it is the end of the world. There were few some pretty distasteful comments posted here and on some other sites some time ago, but I am not going to go there.

And, although I agree that Raj and Lucy are not right for each other, I don't really get the whole thrill over Emily's relationship with Raj either, or see her as much better than Lucy. At one hand, she is at least able to spend a faze with Raj and discuss about serious things with him without running to the bathroom at least once. On the other hand, by this point writers have her do that dark murder-based jokes in almost every single scene that she is in. Not to mention her conflict with Howard in season seven and the one with Penny in season eight. At least, with Lucy's quirks, there was a reason behind them, no matter how annoying they were. Emily is still a mystery. Pretty dark one. Does she really feel that way? Because that would be sick. Or is she just joking around? Because that just doesn't sit well with me, especially not by this point. I always try to approach everything that baffles me at first with the fact that it is all a comedy in my mind, but that doesn't mean that I can like/tolerate everything that writers do. On the one hand, Raj doesn't need to constantly worry about saying something that would cause them to drift apart while he is with her. On the other hand, her creepy jokes are obviously starting to freak him out more and more. But still, judging by some comments, Emily's characters seems almost adored and rarely anyone has problems with her. That baffles me to no end. I mean, mildly annoying vs no longer just mildly creepy...

The other men (excluding Sheldon) lived through the the early part of their relationships begging, negotiating or crying about getting sex. How adolescent. And how entitled. Raj and Emily have a different relationship. Part of my enjoyment of the couple is that they have stepped right past that. Raj, delightfully, has no worries about having to nag, bitch and whine for sex like a 16year old. He just has to worry about getting home alive. I think it will keep him respectful, given he has fallen down on the respect aspect a lot. Just remember his comment about the two girls and the hot tub. He daren't say that to Emily. Heheh.

I think you don't seem to be separating disdain for a badly written, weakly defined character from attitude toward any character.  Are people supposed to accept and support characters like that bully guy that looked up Leonard about his dumb idea?  After all, he's got quirks.  He's a jerk, but shouldn't we accept him?

Some people hated Priya, probably simply because she came between L and P.  I thought she was a pretty well-built character, but obviously not intended to be a permanent girlfriend because L/P are destined to end up together.  Priya served her purpose, and I think her character was well-written and well-acted.

While I appreciate the work that Kate Micucci (sp?) put in on Lucy, I just think the writers didn't do much with the character and she became quite tedious pretty quickly.  I don't see how disliking a character (because of the writing) equals being disdainful of a character simply because of her quirks.  It's not her quirks, it's just that she was thinly, narrowly drawn and was never really fleshed out.  There wasn't much there to like, IMO.  Or dislike.  Just a one-note character.  MAYBE, if they'd wanted to make her Raj's endgame girlfriend, they might have gotten her past that point and worked her into the gang so she could hang out, but either they didn't want to go there, or they found they had painted themselves into a corner by making her too extreme and unable to meet people.

Whatever the case, as I said, I found that she didn't have much to offer Raj other than being a "project" and she didn't have much to say to him apart from having to mention all the time that she was trying to do things that frightened her--though she never did seem to actually do anything much.

I think that they haven't had much time to really do much with Emily, either, apart from giving her this dark quirk.  But I think it's almost entirely played for laughs.  It's not like she's some goth girl doting on death and destruction.  She happens to like horror movies--there are plenty of people who do--but that doesn't make her a psychopatch.  And it could be that once she learned that things like that give Raj the heebeejeebies, she liked to tease him with it a little.

I don't think she had any conflict with Howard other than simply being tickled at his fight with Stuart and remembering Howard's behavior on that one random date--which Raj also got a kick out of.  Though Howard was uncomfortable with remembering that date, he doesn't seem to be holding any kind of grudge against her.

I don't think she's intending for Raj to be afraid, and I don't think he really is, except teasing him about the closet thing as a sort of playful payback for the snooping.

But she seems to actually like him and he can be himself around her.  I don't think he's any more worried about saying the wrong thing to her than Leonard was when he and Penny first started dating, and Emily seems to be very tolerant of him.  She's not threatening to break up with him or anything like that.  I don't think Raj is walking on eggshells around her any more than most guys seem to do.  When you first start dating someone, you want to say and do the right thing.  I don't think it's any more than that for Raj.

And he conflict with Penny doesn't seem to be ongoing.  Or if there's anything between them, it hasn't been mentioned since that episode.  Emily went to the prom and participated in Sheldon's surprise party.  If they're supposed to have some kind of conflict, it hasn't shown up.

At any rate, I think the writers are still kind of playing around with the whole "I like to cut people" thing.  When she first mentioned it, it didn't seem to phase Raj a bit, though it surprised Bernie and Howard.  I think that one thing the writers have played with is Emily's darker tastes and Bernie's simpler tastes.  But I don't think it's ever been intended to be taken seriously.  It's simply exaggeration to underscore the extreme differences--Emily talks about how in the original Cinderella story the step sisters cut off their toes and Bernie counters with the "Bippity Boppity Boo" line.  Comedic contrast--not completely unlike the thing about the gaming systems where Sheldon's asking everyone's opinion and Bernie says she likes the Wii.

Anyway, I don't think we've seen Emily's full development, but I think the writers have more in mind for her than they ever did with Lucy.

• Like 1

The other men (excluding Sheldon) lived through the the early part of their relationships begging, negotiating or crying about getting sex. How adolescent. And how entitled. Raj and Emily have a different relationship. Part of my enjoyment of the couple is that they have stepped right past that. Raj, delightfully, has no worries about having to nag, bitch and whine for sex like a 16year old. He just has to worry about getting home alive. I think it will keep him respectful, given he has fallen down on the respect aspect a lot. Just remember his comment about the two girls and the hot tub. He daren't say that to Emily. Heheh.

I don't remember it that way.

As long as he doesn't look in her closet...

I think you don't seem to be separating disdain for a badly written, weakly defined character from attitude toward any character. Are people supposed to accept and support characters like that bully guy that looked up Leonard about his dumb idea? After all, he's got quirks. He's a jerk, but shouldn't we accept him?

Some people hated Priya, probably simply because she came between L and P. I thought she was a pretty well-built character, but obviously not intended to be a permanent girlfriend because L/P are destined to end up together. Priya served her purpose, and I think her character was well-written and well-acted.

While I appreciate the work that Kate Micucci (sp?) put in on Lucy, I just think the writers didn't do much with the character and she became quite tedious pretty quickly. I don't see how disliking a character (because of the writing) equals being disdainful of a character simply because of her quirks. It's not her quirks, it's just that she was thinly, narrowly drawn and was never really fleshed out. There wasn't much there to like, IMO. Or dislike. Just a one-note character. MAYBE, if they'd wanted to make her Raj's endgame girlfriend, they might have gotten her past that point and worked her into the gang so she could hang out, but either they didn't want to go there, or they found they had painted themselves into a corner by making her too extreme and unable to meet people.

Whatever the case, as I said, I found that she didn't have much to offer Raj other than being a "project" and she didn't have much to say to him apart from having to mention all the time that she was trying to do things that frightened her--though she never did seem to actually do anything much.

I think that they haven't had much time to really do much with Emily, either, apart from giving her this dark quirk. But I think it's almost entirely played for laughs. It's not like she's some goth girl doting on death and destruction. She happens to like horror movies--there are plenty of people who do--but that doesn't make her a psychopatch. And it could be that once she learned that things like that give Raj the heebeejeebies, she liked to tease him with it a little.

I don't think she had any conflict with Howard other than simply being tickled at his fight with Stuart and remembering Howard's behavior on that one random date--which Raj also got a kick out of. Though Howard was uncomfortable with remembering that date, he doesn't seem to be holding any kind of grudge against her.

I don't think she's intending for Raj to be afraid, and I don't think he really is, except teasing him about the closet thing as a sort of playful payback for the snooping.

But she seems to actually like him and he can be himself around her. I don't think he's any more worried about saying the wrong thing to her than Leonard was when he and Penny first started dating, and Emily seems to be very tolerant of him. She's not threatening to break up with him or anything like that. I don't think Raj is walking on eggshells around her any more than most guys seem to do. When you first start dating someone, you want to say and do the right thing. I don't think it's any more than that for Raj.

And he conflict with Penny doesn't seem to be ongoing. Or if there's anything between them, it hasn't been mentioned since that episode. Emily went to the prom and participated in Sheldon's surprise party. If they're supposed to have some kind of conflict, it hasn't shown up.

At any rate, I think the writers are still kind of playing around with the whole "I like to cut people" thing. When she first mentioned it, it didn't seem to phase Raj a bit, though it surprised Bernie and Howard. I think that one thing the writers have played with is Emily's darker tastes and Bernie's simpler tastes. But I don't think it's ever been intended to be taken seriously. It's simply exaggeration to underscore the extreme differences--Emily talks about how in the original Cinderella story the step sisters cut off their toes and Bernie counters with the "Bippity Boppity Boo" line. Comedic contrast--not completely unlike the thing about the gaming systems where Sheldon's asking everyone's opinion and Bernie says she likes the Wii.

Anyway, I don't think we've seen Emily's full development, but I think the writers have more in mind for her than they ever did with Lucy.

Well, you are obviously more open minded and accepting about such things than me. But in the end, we feel the way we feel. Edited by Mislav

I don't remember it that way.

Yeah, I overstated a tad but if you go back it's a very strong driver of the comedy. And I have recently been thinking about how anxious people get about sex and the problems that creates. And the boys did act like desperate teenagers and the show pitched sex as a some kind of prize. Ita part of a wider issue. I like that Raj and Emily didn't put sex up on some pedestal. They met, they liked each other and they acted like adults. Maybe I'm getting old and I'm ticked off at the show for killing the romance in the L/P relationship for so long. I'm just disaffected. Ignore me. I should go eat breakfast.

I thought Leonard and Penny solved the money issue earlier this season when  the car was sold but according to the reports from last night's taping they are bickering about it again and now she is thinking about going back to acting in my opinion she should stay in her new job that she is very good at if she is already making twice what Leonard makes but it's her life her decision. I also find it ironic that Will Wheaton is in the middle of causing trouble for Lenny again he has never been held accountable for the bowling alley incident. I will wait until I see this episode top make a final decision on it it's hard to tell the tone from reading

Edited by Earnie

Yeah, I overstated a tad but if you go back it's a very strong driver of the comedy. And I have recently been thinking about how anxious people get about sex and the problems that creates. And the boys did act like desperate teenagers and the show pitched sex as a some kind of prize. Ita part of a wider issue. I like that Raj and Emily didn't put sex up on some pedestal. They met, they liked each other and they acted like adults. Maybe I'm getting old and I'm ticked off at the show for killing the romance in the L/P relationship for so long. I'm just disaffected. Ignore me. I should go eat breakfast.

Funny but the way I remember it Raj put up with a movie he did not care for because Emily said something about the effect such movies had on her. Does not seem to be consistent with your point.

I thought Leonard and Penny solved the money issue earlier this season when  the car was sold but according to the reports from last night's taping they are bickering about it again and now she is thinking about going back to acting in my opinion she should stay in her new job that she is very good at if she is already making twice what Leonard makes but it's her life her decision. I also find it ironic that Will Wheaton is in the middle of causing trouble for Lenny again he has never been held accountable for the bowling alley incident. I will wait until I see this episode top make a final decision on it it's hard to tell the tone from reading

That resolution was at best a temporary distraction.