S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Don't take what little information we have and stifle our creativity. We only have 14 more days of speculation and theory and the nada til August. Give us room to operate. :p

Speculate all you want, all I meant was if the show ends up coming no where near your speculations, try not to be too disappointed if it doesn't work out.  Many Lennys were disappointed in this year (me included) as it has met our expectations. 

Its not nice to call Amy fat

Lol. Funny. :) . It can be fixed by changing the lighting. No prob.

Is there a significance to what writer writes each script? I think there is, but can someone explain...

Also Anthony is directing again. What had happened to Mark?

People hope so,

He's on "The Odd Couple".

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

Permanently or on a rotation with others?

According to IMDB Mark has directed 3 of the 10 Odd Couple episodes that have taped so far (including the pilot).  The other episodes were directed by Phill Lewis.

• Like 1

Uhm, punching somebody, unless in self defense, is an abuse. Not a spousal abuse because she had punched Leonard but still.

Have you seen how terrified Howard was of mere possibility of being in a Scavenger Hunt with Bernadette? Who knows what goes on behind the closed door. She is definitely borderline emotionally abusive.

Yes, I know that Penny had broken both Howard's and Sheldon's nose, that Amy had broken Penny's nose etc. But I don't defend their actions either. And that part about Bernadette bothered me the most because it was intentional, completely unprovocked, and over something incredibly trivial.

And about Howard/Bernadette relationship, I watch many TV shows where women are manipulative/nasty towards their husbands at times, but in most of those shows, it never goes as far as in this one in my opinion, and usually the husbands give as good as they get, at least at times. TBBT theory doesn't have that contrast with Howard and Bernadette, not to mention that they are overdoing it.

She didn't punch him.  She gave him a thump, no worse than what lots of guys do to each other or friends do while roughhousing.  He wasn't hurt by it.  I mean, Penny also punched Howard when he was in that Batman costume.  Was that abuse?

And Howard's comments about Bernie's competitive side were meant to be exaggerated.  He wasn't terrified of her in a real sense, just underscoring that she plays hard.

I think this interpretation of Bernie's actions is a little overwrought.

According to IMDB Mark has directed 3 of the 10 Odd Couple episodes that have taped so far (including the pilot).  The other episodes were directed by Phill Lewis.

I expect they're rotating him in to maybe give the other guy some relief and to maybe help set the tone of the show or whatever.

I don't think he's leaving TBBT anytime soon.

And this upcoming episode will be only the 3rd one Anthony Rich has done this season.

Cendrowski seems to get about 3 episodes off each season.

• Like 1

Since Season 2 they have had 23 or 24 episodes and for the 23rd episode out of S2 through S7 (and now 8), Mark has only directed once on the 23rd episode.   Peter Chakos directed S3 and S7, Howard Murray S4, Anthony Rich S6 and now S8.    

It just seems like they give others an opportunity to direct around the end of the year (possibly a contractual thing).   It also gives Mark a chance to exercise his directing muscle by directing other projects, so it is all good.

After all, Anthony gave us D&D episode, so it can't be all that bad, especially knowing the Mom's are going to be in this one!  :girlwink:

Since Season 2 they have had 23 or 24 episodes and for the 23rd episode out of S2 through S7 (and now :anim_drool:, Mark has only directed once on the 23rd episode.   Peter Chakos directed S3 and S7, Howard Murray S4, Anthony Rich S6 and now S8.    

It just seems like they give others an opportunity to direct around the end of the year (possibly a contractual thing).   It also gives Mark a chance to exercise his directing muscle by directing other projects, so it is all good.

After all, Anthony gave us D&D episode, so it can't be all that bad, especially knowing the Mom's are going to be in this one!   :girlwink:

Well, Anthony also gave us Speckerman, so...there ya go. :p

I think the script writers are more important to whether or not one will enjoy the episode than is the director.  I mean, I guess a director can milk some good stuff out of whatever's there, but he can only work with what he's given in terms of the script.

About the "moms" episode I would really like to see Sheldon and his mom "vs." Leonard and his mom, in some sorts. We always see the commonality of Sheldon/Beverly and Leonard/Mary but it would be a nice twist to have a episode where Sheldon and his mom and Leonard and his mom work together or bond with their own mother.

Now that being said I would also like to see a scene with Amy and either of the moms. Amy has yet to meet Beverly, both being Neuroscientist would be a good pair and we haven't seen Mary with Amy since Shamy started dating. I have a feeling though it will be a sheldnard/howard.raj/girls ep.

Either way, so excited!!

• Like 4

Well, Anthony also gave us Speckerman, so...there ya go. :p

I think the script writers are more important to whether or not one will enjoy the episode than is the director.  I mean, I guess a director can milk some good stuff out of whatever's there, but he can only work with what he's given in terms of the script.

Anthony was younger and less experienced when Speckerman came out...but the editing and the entire vision for the D&D episode was spot on.   I agree the writers give us a lot, but the director is the one who envisions things and the editing of D&D was excellent with the whole lead-in of that episode and so forth.  It was a well directed episode.   He also gave us Indecision...which again was a well done episode (PLEASE PASS THE BUTTER)!   LOL!  I know he works with with Shamy characters it seems.

Edited by stardustmelody

Does anyone else hate Bernadette in this season? I thought that she would get better after that confrontation at her workplace and she seemed supportive of Howard following his mother's death but I hate how she manipulated with Amy into making Howard loose so she could get rid of TARDIS. Why is it such a big deal for her, especially since they seem to live in a pretty big house?

I like Bernadette she is my third favourite character (after L and P).

• Like 1

Do they usually pre-tape cafeteria scenes? And is it on set, or do they film somewhere else on the lot?

Cafeteria scenes are live the times I've been there.  It's right on set with the main sets; it's off to the side.

• Like 2

Cafeteria scenes are live the times I've been there.  It's right on set with the main sets; it's off to the side.

I can't believe the amount of set-up they must go through to film a few minutes worth of a scene! I have a lot of respect for the set crew!

• Like 2

After hearing my daughter talk about her work and seeing a taping, I watch tv and movies with an entirely different eye. It's amazing all the little things that have to be done that you never think about.

• Like 1

I moved this over from the Shamy topic as its not really about Shamy.

Well, actually I was miffed at those on the forums who suggested that it was a viable option or one that Sheldon should consider

But that is exactly what the writers had Leonard do in the show.

"Leonard: I don’t know. We just started to think about this. Maybe I’ll move in with Penny, or maybe she and I’ll take this place, and you can move across the hall.'

Your quote was:

Leonard still has no right to suggest that Sheldon move out of his own apartment.

So if you were miffed at those in the forum who agreed with the show suggesting it, then you had to have been miffed at the show for suggesting it.

(or that Leonard and Penny should just throw Sheldon's things across the hall while he was gone.

Yeah, I don't think I ever agreed with this and I'd agree with your reasoning here. My whole contention was that Leonard had every right to bring up, and explain his reasoning behind the idea of Sheldon moving across the hall, as part of the discussion of living arrangements. Whether or not Sheldon would actually move, would be Sheldon's decision.

Well Sheldon did have the apartment first AND isn't HIS name on lease? Doesn't that mean that if/when Penny and Leonard move in together that it is Leonard who is obligated to move?

Most of the reasoning as to why Sheldon may want to move out (after some discussion) were made moot, I feel, by this years events (or lack of them).

• Like 2

OMG! The same poor little Sheldon SHOULD NEVER be moved out of the apartment! Puh-Leeeeeez!!!!!!!! Leonard mentioned t as an alternative at that time to not leave Sheldon completely on his own. When Lenny decide to move in together it would make more sense for them to have the big apartment, or they could go leave somewhere else completely. If Sheldon were to move across the hall to what is now Penny's apartment, at least they would be close. Not that he has to, but that would probably be the solution that would alter the status quo less.

OMG! The same poor little Sheldon SHOULD NEVER be moved out of the apartment! Puh-Leeeeeez!!!!!!!! Leonard mentioned t as an alternative at that time to not leave Sheldon completely on his own. When Lenny decide to move in together it would make more sense for them to have the big apartment, or they could go leave somewhere else completely. If Sheldon were to move across the hall to what is now Penny's apartment, at least they would be close. Not that he has to, but that would probably be the solution that would alter the status quo less.

Wow, speak about overreact

As has been pointed out, the lease is in Sheldon's name, it's his apartment.  Why should he be forced to move out of his own apartment?  What I don't understand is why doesn't Leonard just move out, as he's basically the lodger. 

Yeah, Sheldon moving into Penny's old appartment is never going to happen. The only way Lenny move in together into the big appartment is if Sheldon decides to move into Amy's place. Otherwise, I don't care how much Sheldon has evolved, he's not giving up what to him has been his one constant, his 0/0/0/0 since before Leonard or Penny ever came into the picture.

There are just some elements of a sitcom you don't alter. Since the appartment, Sheldon and Sheldon's spot are so iconic to the show's history at this point that won't change. Besides the matter was pretty much settled earlier this season at the department store. Leonard and Sheldon agreed that Leonard would slowly start to transition over to Penny's place a few nights a week.

So for all intents and purposes, the matter has already been settled.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 3

Again, Sheldon and Leonard have to get over each other otherwise their other relationships will never work properly. They have to let go one handhold and swing to another. I don't see that happening until they wrap. Until then they quite entitled to discuss options. No matter how much Sheldon actually impinges on Leonard's natural freedoms - like being able to run across the hall for a conjugal visit without having Sheldon sleep on Penny's couch to supervise. :)

• Like 2