S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Well.........there was no Amy in the episode. I am not going to lie and say I wasn't disappointed when I realized Mayim wasn't there. Despite this though, this episode is really funny. I was super excited when i found out that Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf were there in person and had scenes together. Their interaction together is perfect and what I have been waiting for ever since I have seen the two characters separately. The tag scene is of Raj, Howard, and Stuart cleaning up the kitchen in Howard's mom's house and it is really good.

Behind the scenes: Jim messed up a few times on his first line of the night. Laurie messed up a few times. Jim and Laurie were very talkative between scenes. Near the end, Johnny, Kaley, Jim, Laurie,and Christine were all talkative in the apartment set. Afterwards Jim, Johnny, Laurie, and Christine took pictures together and then Kaley, Christine, and Laurie took pictures together.

I was right in front of Leonard's bedroom set and there was a scene with Sheldon and Leonard are talking in there. Leonard has the photo of him and Penny from prom on his nightstand and he has the framed car "best boyfriend ever" photo on top of his dresser.

Also they started the episode with take Apple. Which doesn't make sense to me because they always start with cold open. I am not sure if they are missing an opening scene or what. It was very bizarre to me and the start of the taping felt like it was missing something. Others who were there can help clarify if I am right that they started with take Apple.

• Like 6

Well.........there was no Amy in the episode. I am not going to lie and say I wasn't disappointed when I realized Mayim wasn't there. Despite this though, this episode is really funny. I was super excited when i found out that Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf were there in person and had scenes together. Their interaction together is perfect and what I have been waiting for ever since I have seen the two characters separately. The tag scene is of Raj, Howard, and Stuart cleaning up the kitchen in Howard's mom's house and it is really good.

Behind the scenes: Jim messed up a few times on his first line of the night. Laurie messed up a few times. Jim and Laurie were very talkative between scenes. Near the end, Johnny, Kaley, Jim, Laurie,and Christine were all talkative in the apartment set. Afterwards Jim, Johnny, Laurie, and Christine took pictures together and then Kaley, Christine, and Laurie took pictures together.

I was right in front of Leonard's bedroom set and there was a scene with Sheldon and Leonard are talking in there. Leonard has the photo of him and Penny from prom on his nightstand and he has the framed car "best boyfriend ever" photo on top of his dresser.

Also they started the episode with take Apple. Which doesn't make sense to me because they always start with cold open. I am not sure if they are missing an opening scene or what. It was very bizarre to me and the start of the taping felt like it was missing something. Others who were there can help clarify if I am right that they started with take Apple.

I was speculating that perhaps the cold open has Mayim in it?  Maybe for some reason it wasn't done in editing or something?  Dunno.  Did they show the guys and their moms at the awards ceremony?

No, he had gotten back together with Penny, it was sometime during the latter part of season 5,(he said, when she as where he got the ring, he said he had it for a couple of years). He might have gotten it just before his proposal during sex.

Tell that to my wife. She really disliked that part when I told her this morning.

Penny did get excited when Howard was going to make diamonds for the girls out of their hair.

I am sorry I should have clarified. Episode taping scenes go from "cold open, apple, baker, charlie, etc............, tag"

Whew! I thought Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter wandered on set and was causing a to-do! (Seriously, that is pretty interesting naming takes that way! Thanks for the 411!)

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 3

You know what is stupid about the whole ring thing, I can't even imagine Leonard taking Sheldon out ring shopping with him or even telling him about it. Based on what happened with the locket and, like you said, his big mouth, you think Leonard would have learned his lesson, afterall he has a 173 IQ. Also since he had it for two years, Sheldon's lack of filter, plus him not caring what he says, would have also supported Leonard not saying anything to him, so he wouldn't blurt it out to Penny.

I don't think that Leonard would have had to have taken Sheldon ring shopping with him in order for Sheldon to learn about the origins of the diamond.

L/P have been engaged for some time.  Leonard and Sheldon could have had a conversation about the ring at any point since then.  Leonard might even have been proud that the diamond was recycled (and not a blood diamond, for instance.)

And I don't think that Sheldon mentioning such things has to do with filter as much as it has to do with details and truth-telling when it comes to details.

I think that while Sheldon may have learned to some degree about filters (when the guys have pointed out to him that one doesn't say certain things, etc.) it's still true that Sheldon has no qualms about saying what he knows about something, whether it's bowel movements or facts about tapioca or capybaras, if he sees no reason to keep it a secret, or sometimes if he just thinks that such details are somehow important.

So, just as Leonard shared with him about the disaster of his proposal during sex (they are still best friends and roommates), he could easily have told Sheldon how he got the ring at some point.

I don't think that Leonard would have had to have taken Sheldon ring shopping with him in order for Sheldon to learn about the origins of the diamond.

L/P have been engaged for some time.  Leonard and Sheldon could have had a conversation about the ring at any point since then.  Leonard might even have been proud that the diamond was recycled (and not a blood diamond, for instance.)

That was exactly my thought: 'ah, good, a responsibly/sustainably-sourced diamond.'

Edited by wowbagger

Penny did get excited when Howard was going to make diamonds for the girls out of their hair.

Hehehe, I told my wife that and she just snorted. Said there's a huge difference between making you own jewelry and an engagement or wedding band diamond. YMMV.

• Like 1

No, he had gotten back together with Penny, it was sometime during the latter part of season 5,(he said, when she as where he got the ring, he said he had it for a couple of years). He might have gotten it just before his proposal during sex.

Tell that to my wife. She really disliked that part when I told her this morning.

The thing about getting an engagement ring should be the meaning behind it, I know that a lot of people are obsessed by the more expensive the better but I think some of the celeb ones you see are just ott

• Like 1

The thing about getting an engagement ring should be the meaning behind it, I know that a lot of people are obsessed by the more expensive the better but I think some of the celeb ones you see are just ott

I think that as long as it doesn't come out of a Cracker Jack box or a gumball machine, you're doing okay.

Hey, if a diamond from Walmart is all your budget can sustain, it's still an engagement ring. :p

• Like 3

Did they even mention Amy?

Did Sheldon say she was away at a conference, or some other activity, or was she simply not mentioned at all?

Yeah I really want to know that too! I hope they did, cuz I'm already pretty worried about Mayim having only one/no scenes in the past 3 episodes. I really just want to know why?

Also I've only just joined this forum and I'm really excited!!!  :icon_razz:

Here's an idea, which (although I'd love it to be true) is unlikely to be the reason Amy is missing.

Amy is away, making preparations.

At the end of the final season episode, we see Sheldon leave Pasadena, hop on an aeroplane, to fly out to meet Amy, at a church, where they get married on the quiet.

• Like 2

Here's an idea, which (although I'd love it to be true) is unlikely to be the reason Amy is missing.

At the end of the final season episode, we see Sheldon leave Pasadena, hop on an aeroplane, to fly out to meet Amy, at a church, where they get married on the quiet.

God I would love that to happen! :D

Good Lord..... 

Not sure I want that, but that would be a surprise!

Why....

1. there have been absolutely no signs from either party, but especially him that marriage is on their minds

2. run away and get married with absolutely no reason...that by no way would be IC for either one of them.  They are not impulsive people

3. I'd like to see them at least discuss their futures a bit more above just going to Mars

4. What then...bam rush through coitus because that is what happens after marriage...and then what???  Still got two more years left dude

5. you'd be missing all the comedy in getting to the altar...

So yea, no way

• Like 5

According to the spoilers Leonard didn't "go" ring shopping at all, he bought it on-line. Probably in his living room with Sheldon sitting right there.

i don't know about anyone else...

but i think the performance the actor playing beverly gave in her first episode was one of the finest i have even seen....

the actress seems to be quite awesome...

Indeed she is. Christine Baranski got an Emmy nomination for that episode. In her career she has won an Emmy and two Tony awards.

Edited by BangerMain

According to the spoilers Leonard didn't "go" ring shopping at all, he bought it on-line. Probably in his living room with Sheldon sitting right there.

I doubt Sheldon could keep something like that a secret for 2 hours, let alone 2 years, based on his past. But continuity doesn't seem to be these writer's long suit.

• Like 1

And I don't think that Sheldon mentioning such things has to do with filter as much as it has to do with details and truth-telling when it comes to details.

I think that while Sheldon may have learned to some degree about filters (when the guys have pointed out to him that one doesn't say certain things, etc.) it's still true that Sheldon has no qualms about saying what he knows about something, whether it's bowel movements or facts about tapioca or capybaras, if he sees no reason to keep it a secret, or sometimes if he just thinks that such details are somehow important.

So, just as Leonard shared with him about the disaster of his proposal during sex (they are still best friends and roommates), he could easily have told Sheldon how he got the ring at some point.

i have a theory about the ring. As they got engaged in 7.23 and Leonard mentioned he had the ring for two years(as SRAM mentioned correctly) that would put Leonard buying around 5.23 which is the episode where he proposed to Penny in bed. I agree with tensor that at this point he had the ring(just not on him LOL) and he was intending to propose. You and others mentioned why would he take Sheldon along ring shopping? A better question is why would you tell Sheldon you proposed in bed? Obviously Sheldon isn't the best in keeping secrets. my theory is Sheldon knew he was proposing. the next logical question is why would you tell Sheldon that you were proposing period? again he may be Leonard's best friend but I wouldn't tell him that. the only conclusion I can come up with is Sheldon was there when Leonard got the ring. After the failed proposal Leonard had no choice to tell him what really happened. I don't think that Sheldon and Leonard discussed the ring after the proposal. There would be no purpose. There was an episode way back when Sheldon and Penny went jewelry shopping. he certainly wasn't an expert then. When Bev mentioned how expensive the ring is with his memory he knew that Leonard got recycled industrial diamonds and that's why it got mentioned IMO.

i have a theory about the ring. As they got engaged in 7.23 and Leonard mentioned he had the ring for two years(as SRAM mentioned correctly) that would put Leonard buying around 5.23 which is the episode where he proposed to Penny in bed. I agree with tensor that at this point he had the ring(just not on him LOL) and he was intending to propose. You and others mentioned why would he take Sheldon along ring shopping? A better question is why would you tell Sheldon you proposed in bed? Obviously Sheldon isn't the best in keeping secrets. my theory is Sheldon knew he was proposing. the next logical question is why would you tell Sheldon that you were proposing period? again he may be Leonard's best friend but I wouldn't tell him that. the only conclusion I can come up with is Sheldon was there when Leonard got the ring. After the failed proposal Leonard had no choice to tell him what really happened. I don't think that Sheldon and Leonard discussed the ring after the proposal. There would be no purpose. There was an episode way back when Sheldon and Penny went jewelry shopping. he certainly wasn't an expert then. When Bev mentioned how expensive the ring is with his memory he knew that Leonard got recycled industrial diamonds and that's why it got mentioned IMO.

Do we know Sheldon watched him buy it online?

We do know that Leonard told Sheldon at some point that he had proposed to Penny during sex and that she said no.  I don't think the proposal at that moment was premeditated, as in, "I know, when we have sex tonight I'm going to propose to Penny!"

Leonard admitted that he got a little wedding fever and that's probably what put it in his mind, but I think it was a spur of the moment thing, just like when they were in bed and he said ILY.

Is there any direct evidence that Sheldon saw him buy the ring or knew about it before the engagement?  If Leonard kept the ring in his wallet for 2 years or whatever, how do we know that SHeldon knew about it from the start?

I think it's more likely that he and Leonard had some random conversation about it after the engagement.