The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

I agree with you on this.  While I'm mad at Leonard for this mistake, I don't consider this as beyond redemption for him.

The only thing I think this is relateable to as far the season 4 finale is how Penny made a mistake she regretted,  I'd like to think she'd at least be able to understand what it's like to make a mistake you regret.

She was not dating anyone at the time.  Big difference.  Do I think this is a big bump, no.  But in no way can you equate this with what happened (or didn't happen) with Penny and Raj.  

• Like 4

So Leonard makes one mistake, where he's not the perfect angel we thought he was; but is actually a human being who is shown to be fallible.  But him making a mistake HE ADMITS TO causes you to throw in the towel?

Throw in the towel. No. But be the stumbling block in they're relationship to make the wedding being put off till episode 200. Yes.

• Like 1

Literally disgusted right now at all the people putting the blame on Penny. Like seriously could y'all be any grosser. 

Not blaming Penny, It's just in the whole scope of the show, I don't think Leonard randomly kissing a girl in the North seas, two years ago, when Lenny weren't even engaged yet, is that big of a deal.

They weren't even together and Leonard was effectively living with another woman.  How can people defend this?  Do we not remember how much Penny was missing him while he was away on this trip.  She was pining hard for him, but he was busy partying and making out with some random chick?  I am so done with this relationship.

Maybe in the long run it will be good for Penny to know that she just can't take Leonard for granted all the time.

• Like 1

Not blaming Penny, It's just in the whole scope of the show, I don't think Leonard randomly kissing a girl in the North seas, two years ago, when Lenny weren't even engaged yet, is that big of a deal.

but she told him she loved him and be safe and take care, before the trip....and she spend the whole summer waiting for him....

Maybe in the long run it will be good for Penny to know that she just can't take Leonard for granted all the time.

don't you think if this is the reason for penny to know she can't take leonard for granted...how bad it looks...

• Like 1

How can you even say that?  They just revealed that he is a cheater.  How is he still in one piece?  

I would have been more apt to commend him if he told her when he came back.  But no, he waited almost 2 years.

And someone like that is beyond redemption?  Why?  If Leonard's story is simply a mistake he made while being caught up in all the excitement.  Than I can forgive him.

The last time he saw her, she had managed to say "I love you." completely on her own.  Something that had been hard for her to do previously.  I can buy that he would be reluctant to say anything to her when he returns, when THAT is what she had told him the last time they saw each other.  Maybe he was going to tell her eventually but found himself getting deeper into the rabbit hole.

I'm not happy that he did what he did.  But I'm not going to throw him to the wolves either.

She was not dating anyone at the time.  Big difference.  Do I think this is a big bump, no.  But in no way can you equate this with what happened (or didn't happen) with Penny and Raj.  

I didn't say it was equatable with this. I said this: "The only thing I think this is relateable to as far the season 4 finale is how Penny made a mistake she regretted"

Leonard made a mistake he allegedly regretted as well.  Nowhere in my comment did I say Penny and Raj is completely equateable with what Leonard did.  Just relateable in the sense they both made a mistake that THEY REGRETTED, that's all I was getting at.

but she told him she loved him and be safe and take care, before the trip....and she spend the whole summer waiting for him....

don't you think if this is the reason for penny to know she can't take leonard for granted...how bad it looks...

So?  At the end, he came home TO PENNY!  Yes he should've spoke up but I can buy why he might not have.

Unless you can prove Leonard did anything else I don't see how it does.  He spoke up about something that he did in terms of them having no regrets and knowing eachother, THAT is what allegedly caused Leonard to speak up about his regrets.

• Like 1

one thing i have to say thought....this all sounds like cheap drama episode.....with the writers wanting to probably have something *shocking*....*cliffhanger*

more so by the fact that amy who got more out of Sheldon this season than any other season wants a break......after the sleepover...i love you....and other stuff...seems hardly believable...

and if the writers want audience to root for leonard and penny.....i think they have to rethink everything.....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

So Leonard makes one mistake, where he's not the perfect angel we thought he was; but is actually a human being who is shown to be fallible.  But him making a mistake HE ADMITS TO causes you to throw in the towel?

He's done this before.  The first we heard of with Penny, but he has a history.  

I think there is going to be more to this Lenny story next season and Leonard will not look as bad as he does now . The kiss could of been like Beverly's when she kissed Sheldon. Nobody blamed Sheldon for that.

• Like 1

Next season premier... more likely scenario... ;)

Leonard and Penny come back from vegas not married....

penny says she wants time to think about it...

Sheldon is also upset about amy....

sheldon and penny share their sorrows....and give each other suggestions.... (an aspect which the writers seem to like and this finale seems to set the correct tone for that kind of an episode in the next seasons premier...)

Edited by vasu

one thing i have to say thought....this all sounds like cheap drama episode.....with the writers wanting to probably have something *shocking*....*cliffhanger*

more so by the fact that amy who got more out of Sheldon this season than any other season wants a break......after the sleepover...i love you....and other stuff...seems hardly believable...

and if the writers want audience to root for leonard and penny.....i think they have to rethink everything.....

a tv show with tension? UNHEARD OF!

Maybe she's rethinking how Sheldon might not ever get to the place where Amy thinks he unconditionally loves her.  He also kicked her off her bed after saying ILY2, and filled out a mars app without consulting her.

Despite their progress I can kind of buy this from her, since this is her ONLY RELATIONSHIP THUS FAR.

I doubt Leonard making a mistake on the boat is going to destroy this relationship for the majority.

Next season premier... more likely scenario... ;)

Leonard and Penny come back from vegas not married....

penny says she wants time to think about it...

Sheldon is also upset about amy....

sheldon and penny share their sorrows....and give each other suggestions.... (an aspect which the writers seem to like and this finale seems to set the correct tone for that kind of an episode in the next seasons premier...)

Why does Penny not just go to Bernadette since she knows what its like to have a significant other who doesn't tell you everything upfront right away before getting married?

That makes more sense to me.

He's done this before.  The first we heard of with Penny, but he has a history.  

And he has now come clean about both of them.  For all you know the girl on the boat might've came on to him and he might of broke it off telling the girl that he was in a relationship.

How about we wait until we have more information.

I didn't say it was equatable with this. I said this: "The only thing I think this is relateable to as far the season 4 finale is how Penny made a mistake she regretted"

Leonard made a mistake he allegedly regretted as well.  Nowhere in my comment did I say Penny and Raj is completely equateable with what Leonard did.  Just relateable in the sense they both made a mistake that THEY REGRETTED, that's all I was getting at.

That's not the way it sounded.  You may want to reread your posts before hitting that button.  Your posts don't always read as you intend them to read, based on your followup posts, which is why you get a lot of goalpost moving comments from me.  Others have the same problem with your posts also, so you may want to look at that.  

They weren't even together and Leonard was effectively living with another woman.  How can people defend this?  Do we not remember how much Penny was missing him while he was away on this trip.  She was pining hard for him, but he was busy partying and making out with some random chick?  I am so done with this relationship.

Nickelette, don't give up on Lenny just yet. I'm sure they will eventually work things out, and be a great couple. It's just going to take a little more time.

• Like 2

one thing i have to say thought....this all sounds like cheap drama episode.....with the writers wanting to probably have something *shocking*....*cliffhanger*more so by the fact that amy who got more out of Sheldon this season than any other season wants a break......after the sleepover...i love you....and other stuff...seems hardly believable...and if the writers want audience to root for leonard and penny.....i think they have to rethink everything.....

First of all the sleepover was in a fort in the living room. I think they stole that from an episode of Sesame Street. The I love you was only caused because he just said what Amy was trying to say..Sheldon obviously felt The Flash was more important than Amy. Same story new episode. It was a matter of time before she snapped. we can only hope she doesn't act "pathetic" and makes Sheldon apologize for his poor behavior.
  • Like 1

That's not the way it sounded.  

How did it sound then?  I reread the post and I really don't see where the confusion is coming from.  I specifically wrote one thing, "relateable" how that gets interpreted as "equateable" isn't exactly something I can control.

Edited by meka3000

She was not dating anyone at the time. Big difference. Do I think this is a big bump, no. But in no way can you equate this with what happened (or didn't happen) with Penny and Raj.

Except that they both made regrettable mistakes that require forgiveness for them to go forward. Neither of them are too shiny now and they know it. The powers that be are rubbing the gloss off. I wonder if we will see them talk about this next season - to each other - while they are in the same space. That'd be nice. Certainly Penny now knows that Leonard isn't quite the White Knight she might have thought. It's getting a bit grey, isn't it? I'm still "rooting" for them. Love conquers etc... Ethical thought experiments, fun for the holidays.

Edit. Another thought. This is going to give Penny the opportunity to think more about why she wants Leonard. He has always been there and ready to jump into her handbag when she needs him to. Now she has to expend a little effort weighing up his relative merits and detriments, beyond him being available and willing (pro) and lactose intolerant (con). The effort might be good for her.

Edit2: I'm not sure they'll come back married. That's a cliffhanger.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

you are correct but Penny dumped Leonard and hooked up with Raj in Leonard's bed.

Leonard suggests she run out and grab a PhD, but Penny doesn't think that'll work- it didn't for him.

Ouch.

He tries to make it better by telling her the kissing wasn't that good, but that's probably not the words he needs to be saying right now.

My inner Sheldon is asking the question, "Is there ever a time where THOSE are the words you need to be saying?"

• Like 3

BTW thanks for the taping report MitchyGeary.

While I am upset with Leonard for what he did, if alcohol was involved and him getting caught up in excitement I can see it as him making a drunken mistake.  This doesn't mean he's vindicated of what he did, but I'm not going to throw him to the wolves either.

I don't see the vegas marriage happening.

I'm wondering if the Shamy break causes Sheldon to go through any changes for the better.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 4