S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

Actually I think now that Leonard is engaged he is going to be pulling away and Amy will naturally move into the void. Not that it will happen all at once.

A year ago in the opener Sheldon told Penny she had hurt his feelings. Admitting that was a first.

This season opener we have Sheldon insecure about letting Amy know he "failed" on his own.

Eventually he will be a real boy.

Its reasonable to assume that the way the writers made Penny unavailable to go with Leonard to rescue so that he considered calling Amy to go with him instead was the beginning of this transition. I think it will still be Leonard for a while - some of the dialogue reported suggests Leonard still has that sense of closeness and responsibility for looking after Sheldon - but the new job for Penny may not just be a cause for supposed tension between Leonard and Penny but also a way of separating Penny from Sheldon. She may be working long hours outside the guys' 9 to 5 university jobs and so may not be around to be second choice accessible Sheldon support as she has been since the beginning. Enter Amy as the inevitable replacement. 

The interesting challenge could be the change in dynamic started in this episode with the embarrassment Sheldon feels failing in front of Amy. His comment to Leonard about his idolising of him was pertinent. Sheldon has made many stuff ups in front of Leonard but seems to be able to explain them away by belittling Leonard and maintaining an air of superiority regardless of his faults. It was even easier with uneducated Penny. But Amy is different. She is an equal and he doesn't want to look bad in front of her so doesn't want to rely on her. It was good to see the old respect for Amy's intellect return in the opener after weakening that in Season 7. Amy was very strong willed in her conversations with Sheldon from the reports while also showing that she can be encouraging and supportive. The conversation walking up the stairs was a sign of a better dynamic in their relationship that shows there is a chance he can allow Amy to replace Leonard as support no.1.

It will take time but if this is the goal of the writers, it will free up Leonard to move on from Sheldon Support and fully commit all his time to Penny. This extra time he has with Sheldon relying more on Amy in conflict with Penny being less available because of the demands of her new job could be what causes the anticipated tension in the relationship. Leonard has always had Sheldon and/or Penny. Without Sheldon, he doesn't want spare time if Penny isn't available during that time either.

Just a thought. Had to think of something. Don't like just rephrasing what others have said.

• Like 5

Its reasonable to assume that the way the writers made Penny unavailable to go with Leonard to rescue so that he considered calling Amy to go with him instead was the beginning of this transition. I think it will still be Leonard for a while - some of the dialogue reported suggests Leonard still has that sense of closeness and responsibility for looking after Sheldon - but the new job for Penny may not just be a cause for supposed tension between Leonard and Penny but also a way of separating Penny from Sheldon. She may be working long hours outside the guys' 9 to 5 university jobs and so may not be around to be second choice accessible Sheldon support as she has been since the beginning. Enter Amy as the inevitable replacement. 

The interesting challenge could be the change in dynamic started in this episode with the embarrassment Sheldon feels failing in front of Amy. His comment to Leonard about his idolising of him was pertinent. Sheldon has made many stuff ups in front of Leonard but seems to be able to explain them away by belittling Leonard and maintaining an air of superiority regardless of his faults. It was even easier with uneducated Penny. But Amy is different. She is an equal and he doesn't want to look bad in front of her so doesn't want to rely on her. It was good to see the old respect for Amy's intellect return in the opener after weakening that in Season 7. Amy was very strong willed in her conversations with Sheldon from the reports while also showing that she can be encouraging and supportive. The conversation walking up the stairs was a sign of a better dynamic in their relationship that shows there is a chance he can allow Amy to replace Leonard as support no.1.

It will take time but if this is the goal of the writers, it will free up Leonard to move on from Sheldon Support and fully commit all his time to Penny. This extra time he has with Sheldon relying more on Amy in conflict with Penny being less available because of the demands of her new job could be what causes the anticipated tension in the relationship. Leonard has always had Sheldon and/or Penny. Without Sheldon, he doesn't want spare time if Penny isn't available during that time either.

Just a thought. Had to think of something. Don't like just rephrasing what others have said.

I agree, that's what I want to see happen.  What I can't figure out is how the writers can accomplish it while still keep Amy a supporting character rather than bumping her up.  Thoughts?

Simple Amy needs to become a main character, I don't see her as supporting anymore. Only way they can bump Amy up, and some what displace Leonard's role in Sheldon's life. Sheldon feels he cannot rely on Amy, as he see's her as his only equal, deconstruct Sheldon's self actualization, and realize neither Amy or Sheldon needs to be perfect. Only way I can see Sheldon relying on Amy for support, his #1 Support, is if they bump her up to a lead character role, as of now she is just a supporting player.

• Like 4

I agree, that's what I want to see happen.  What I can't figure out is how the writers can accomplish it while still keep Amy a supporting character rather than bumping her up.  Thoughts?

Interesting insight tmp. There have been many episodes with Amy/Mayim having a major role so its not like she is a supporting role like Bernadette/Melissa who can be a very minor character in some eps. Maybe that will continue in episodes when Sheldon needs to be supported but when its not Sheldon centric, Amy returns to the background like in Proton. Its interesting though - $1 million an episode vs $60 thousand (?)  is an unusual disparity if Amy/Mayim get elevated to greater importance! But if Lenny is a major couple, Shamy has to be as well with Sheldon/Jim involved.

• Like 1

Interesting insight tmp. There have been many episodes with Amy/Mayim having a major role so its not like she is a supporting role like Bernadette/Melissa who can be a very minor character in some eps. Maybe that will continue in episodes when Sheldon needs to be supported but when its not Sheldon centric, Amy returns to the background like in Proton. Its interesting though - $1 million an episode vs $60 thousand (?)  is an unusual disparity if Amy/Mayim get elevated to greater importance! But if Lenny is a major couple, Shamy has to be as well with Sheldon/Jim involved.

Two resolved couples as leads is probably too much, because the story needs something to remain undiscovered. I would be incredibly surprised if Sheldon - or Raj - tie any knots between now and S10. Screw reasonable expectations. The unresolved sexual tension (oh lordy - how I have to squint to see that) between Amy and Sheldon will be so prolonged because there is no point in a payoff before s10. They will mess with them as long as they can. And the money says where the producer's heads are at. It does not seem reasonable that the difference in bucks is just unfortunate. Of course I know nothing.

• Like 1

Two resolved couples as leads is probably too much, because the story needs something to remain undiscovered. I would be incredibly surprised if Sheldon - or Raj - tie any knots between now and S10. Screw reasonable expectations. The unresolved sexual tension (oh lordy - how I have to squint to see that) between Amy and Sheldon will be so prolonged because there is no point in a payoff before s10. They will mess with them as long as they can. And the money says where the producer's heads are at. It does not seem reasonable that the difference in bucks is just unfortunate. Of course I know nothing.

Well, I don't understand why they have to prolonge the sexual tension as long as possible between the Shamy. It's like they have no idea of what to do with them once It's solved. There is plenty of things they could do !! why not playing with the "couple of weirdos" card ? It has a huge comedy potential and could be so refreshing. Really, It's a shame to stick to something which is more and more exasperating while there are so many possibilities.

Edited by Redrose

I tend to agree with what you said. Sheldon's relationship is a subplot to the show, the prime relationship being Lenny, that really is not my opinion but the position of TPTB as evident in the Amy character remaining a third tier character through season 10. That unfortunately is why I also think that Sheldon is going to be in Leonard's and Penny's lives even after they get married, because the three of them are the core of the show.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with what you said. Sheldon's relationship is a subplot to the show, the prime relationship being Lenny, that really is not my opinion but the position of TPTB as evident in the Amy character remaining a third tier character through season 10. That unfortunately is why I also think that Sheldon is going to be in Leonard's and Penny's lives even after they get married, because the three of them are the core of the show.

An example of that appears to be the tag at the end of the show.

I noticed on Kevin’s Instagram that he has posted two photo’s of ‘his’ dressing room.  As far as I can remember Mayim did not get her own dressing room till she was a permanent member of the cast – till then she shared dressing rooms with guests appearing on the show. 

I wonder if this means that we are likely to see a lot more of Kevin in season 8.

I noticed on Kevin’s Instagram that he has posted two photo’s of ‘his’ dressing room.  As far as I can remember Mayim did not get her own dressing room till she was a permanent member of the cast – till then she shared dressing rooms with guests appearing on the show. 

I wonder if this means that we are likely to see a lot more of Kevin in season 8.

Kevin was listed as a permanent cast member in the first part of season 6, but for some reason it didn't stick.  I like him a lot, though, especially in the xmas episode last year.

For the last couple years all Stewart's character was about was running the store and being depressed because his life was so awful. You can only highlight that so much before it gets depressing for the audience, too. I think things will be a lot different this season and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him being inappropriately close with Debbie, fighting with Howard over it, and maybe clashing with Sheldon too if he decides to do something other than open up his money-losing store (they said there will be a comic book store, not necessarily Stewart's).

Edited by Tomasina
  • Like 1

For the last couple years all Stewart's character was only about was running the store and being depressed because his life was so awful. You can only highlight that so much before it gets depressing for the audience, too. I think things will be a lot different this season and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him being inappropriately close with Debbie, fighting with Howard over it, and maybe clashing with Sheldon too if he decides to do something other than open up his money-losing store (they said there will be a comic book store, not necessarily Stewart's).

I think Stewart will have a bigger role in season 8, not just because of the comic book store, but as you mentioned, his relationship with Debbie and Howard.  I loved this plot development and based off the taping, more to follow on that front for sure.

I had not realised that Kevin had been a permanent cast member in the first part of season 6.  But I can see why his appearances would have restricted, however now that he has a happier life and possibly an inappropriate relationship with Debbie (why not he's a man and she's a woman and after all we do not really know how old he is - he could be her toy boy :wink: ) hopefully we will see much more of him.

While I think you have a point here I think you are also wrong. Over 7 seasons Leonard/Sheldon has been the prime relationship. Lenny has waxed and waned. When Lenny are the strongest they fade into the background in bliss. The comedy in TBBT thrives in conflict. I think new characters on the BBT have lessened the Sheldon / Leonard interaction and Lenny conflict has done the same. I think Sheldon / Leonard has to wane because after 7 years it becomes less and less believable.

When this show started they were not expecting it to have 10 seasons.

edit:

On the other hand if I were Leonard I'd not be doing a six hour drive to pick Sheldon up when Amy is the girlfriend and she could do it. Neither Sheldon or Leonard look much like geniuses here. At the end of s7e24 Penny say's "Let him go". It would seem to me she should also have said "Let Amy pick him up."

Edited by djsurrey

Sheldon becoming a professor would be interesting, especially since it didn't go real well the other times he has tried teaching physics and after the razzing he has given Leonard about how he should give up research and become a teacher.

• Like 3