S8 Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

Well, I don't understand why they have to prolonge the sexual tension as long as possible between the Shamy. It's like they have no idea of what to do with them once It's solved. There is plenty of things they could do !! why not playing with the "couple of weirdos" card ? It has a huge comedy potential and could be so refreshing. Really, It's a shame to stick to something which is more and more exasperating while there are so many possibilities.

I think they have designed/fallen upon a brilliant ensemble piece (money factory) that everyone can carve a piece off but still be left wanting more. And because this show depicts people moving through their life's journey there is a sense that if they are moving they have to have a destination. These folks all have journeys and they are all at different stages and that gives most of the audience something different to pay attention to, but I don't think they want them all on the same place at the same time, because it diminishes the diversity. So they are each on their own track, moving at different speeds. Which means all the viewers get a chance to be disappointed, depending on where their favourite is on that track. And when interest wanes the focus will shift, and the story will introduce novelty (Corporate Penny - who knew?) then they will pump up a an oldie but goody (something about trains and tunnels, I'd guess).

I do want someone cleverer than me (not a hard thing) to lay out the feminist critique of all this, because the journey they are all on and the points of view depicted still seem very boy-centric. The wages problem seems to underline this message too.

Edit: I'm interested to see how Penny and Bernadette get on at work too. Fearsome biologist, affable actor doing business. With Penny as one of the leads, and thereby in a position to give it some heft, they could shift the POV around. What are the chances?

Edit2. Edited for isms.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

So I'm kinda disappointed with the writers. They once again toy Shamy or Sheldon saying he wants to break up with her. In the words of Yoda "Do or do not there is no try" Stop treating Amy like Sheldon's whipping log. And either have him commit,mor break up with her. These will they "Won't" they break up lines are getting tedious

[snip]...because the journey they are all on and the points of view depicted still seem very boy-centric. [snip]

Looking at the writer's panel from the 2014 comic con this is not so surprising. I think these writers are writing from their own perspective. The success of the show comes form the audience being able to identify with the characters. People can wring their hands and suggest how the show should be different but I don't think TPTB are going to experiment at all with something so successful. This is the reason changes will be very gradual. The writers are not going to want to risk bursting their bubble of success.

By the way any change that does occur is all the more gratifying because of the long wait. The first SIK was only a big deal because it took so long to occur. To look at it another way the writers like to keep Amy and Sheldon "mint in box" so they retain their value.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

@DJSurrey, Whereas many here want them to be taken out and played with. Lol. Iced water all round. Tripper should run a contest for the episode when Sheldon "peels of the plastic". Hehehe. Maybe there is a bookie out there offering odds & real money. Not making light of this at all. Just crowdsourcing. :)

By the way any change that does occur is all the more gratifying because of the long wait. The first SIK was only a big deal because it took so long to occur. To look at it another way the writers like to keep Amy and Sheldon "mint in box" so they retain their value.

I agree that one of the reasons why Shamy's relationship is so interesting to many of us is because it's taking so long for them to become completely intimate. But I have to disagree about the writer's ultimate intent with the relationship. There is so much that can be done with Amy and Sheldon after coitus to keep them interesting and everyone knows that, including the writers. I definitely don't believe that the writers are going to keep them "mint in box" for too long just to keep us hooked. It would ruin the whole dynamic.

Besides, they can't tease us with coitus for THAT long, right? That would just be cruel... :icon_cry:

• Like 9

They can only tease you if you set yourself up.

I'd like to see Sheldon treat Amy better. I don't actually care if they are still virgins up to and including the very last episode. Actually I would be happy if it ends that way. This culture is too obsessed with sex. Wanting everyone to have sex and no one to have babies is kind of sad.

They can only tease you if you set yourself up.

I'd like to see Sheldon treat Amy better. I don't actually care if they are still virgins up to and including the very last episode. Actually I would be happy if it ends that way. This culture is too obsessed with sex. Wanting everyone to have sex and no one to have babies is kind of sad.

You do realize to have kids you need to have coitus right :p, one does not preclude the other.

Edited by 3ku11

You do realize to have kids you need to have coitus right :p, one does not preclude the other.

Yea my four kids came into the world in the usual way.

Edited by djsurrey

I agree that one of the reasons why Shamy's relationship is so interesting to many of us is because it's taking so long for them to become completely intimate. But I have to disagree about the writer's ultimate intent with the relationship. There is so much that can be done with Amy and Sheldon after coitus to keep them interesting and everyone knows that, including the writers. I definitely don't believe that the writers are going to keep them "mint in box" for too long just to keep us hooked. It would ruin the whole dynamic.

Besides, they can't tease us with coitus for THAT long, right? That would just be cruel... :icon_cry:

To have left us with a finale like they did last season, I would have said that yes they can definitely tease us and most certainly be cruel.  Now that the main couple Lenny are settled as a couple albeit with the necessary ups and downs, and the others also in relationships the writers do need to have us 'hooked', and the 'Will they/ Won't they' has become a very big hook.

I am not saying that they will not become intimate, but we have 3 seasons to go so I think it will be later rather than sooner (though I would be more than happy to be proved wrong), as you say the uniqueness of this couple is the length of time they are taking to get together.  Otherwise they will just be another couple but with perhaps stranger/quirkier issues to deal with. 

Edited by ShAmy4eva

Yes the finale sucked for Shamy, I won't argue about that. However, TPTB were not purposefully trying to tease us and then leave us hanging. As they've said before, Sheldon didn't leave because of Amy. His leaving was more about his issues with Lenny's engagement and his job.

Therefore, I do not believe the writers will blatantly tease us with Shamy coitus as they have with S8E1 and keep that up for 3 seasons. No, I don't expect them to have coitus anytime soon or in this season even, but I do expect them to become more and more intimate this season, taking little steps towards coitus. And I'm okay with that! 

• Like 6

The talk about S/A bedroom intimacy is reminding me of the song Tacky by Weird Al

"Tacky"

[Verse 1:]
It might seem crazy, wearing stripes with plaid
I instagram every meal I've had
All my used liquor bottles are on display
We can go to see a show but I'll make you pay

[Chorus:]
(because I'm tacky)
Wear my belt with suspenders and sandals with my socks
(because I'm tacky)
Got some new glitter Uggs and lovely pink sequined crocs
(because I'm tacky)
Never let you forget some favor I did for you
(because I'm tacky)
If you're okay with that, then, you might just be tacky, too...[snip]

It is far more important that Sheldon take steps towards being unreservedly loving. I want to see some future episode where Amy comes dancing on stage to the tune of I'm Walking on Sunshine. I'm getting old and some of you sound so young.

Edited by djsurrey

Yes the finale sucked for Shamy, I won't argue about that. However, TPTB were not purposefully trying to tease us and then leave us hanging. As they've said before, Sheldon didn't leave because of Amy. His leaving was more about his issues with Lenny's engagement and his job.

Therefore, I do not believe the writers will blatantly tease us with Shamy coitus as they have with S8E1 and keep that up for 3 seasons. No, I don't expect them to have coitus anytime soon or in this season even, but I do expect them to become more and more intimate this season, taking little steps towards coitus. And I'm okay with that! 

I agree, my view remains mid to end S9 for coitus, but hopefully – if we can trust what the writers have said – they will be getting closer to each other during S8

• Like 2

I expect this season the Shamy progress will be mostly emotional, and Sheldon might start to be ready to be roommates with Amy, provided it's clear she's not just trying to get into his "bathing suit region".

• Like 6

I'm not sure Amy and Sheldon will have premarital coitus on the show. They are both extremely nervous about it and Sheldon's upbringing will be always on his mind, so they may be one of those couples that has coitus for the first time on their wedding night, there are still a lot of people who do that. That said, it doesn't prevent her from moving in with him and it doesn't prevent them from sharing a bed in a hotel room.

• Like 1

I expect this season the Shamy progress will be mostly emotional, and Sheldon might start to be ready to be roommates with Amy, provided it's clear she's not just trying to get into his "bathing suit region".

Yeah. I'm past caring about his "bathing suit region". It's not his biggest problem. His life won't magically change like Sleeping Beauty's did after one incident of human contact. I'm thinking after three elapsed seasons that stuff can remain dormant. I'd be happy if it just pops up occasionally, but unexpectedly. It's nice to be surprised. But if he is wearing Speedos...

Yeah. I'm past caring about his "bathing suit region". It's not his biggest problem. His life won't magically change like Sleeping Beauty's did after one incident of human contact. I'm thinking after three elapsed seasons that stuff can remain dormant. I'd be happy if it just pops up occasionally, but unexpectedly. It's nice to be surprised. But if he is wearing Speedos...

I don't know, if he keeps losing/dropping his pants - he's a serial offender - something's got to happen by chance eventually

• Like 1

I don't know, if he keeps losing/dropping his pants - he's a serial offender - something's got to happen by chance eventually

I'm still waiting for them to show him wearing those Spiderman underpants Penny found in the laundry room...

• Like 2

other shows have "teased" us for 8 whole years and the show ended with no coitus ..only ILY. 

Once upon a time there was this little show called The X-Files...

• Like 1

Every time I read or listen to interviews with writers, whether individually or at comic con, I come away with the distinct impression they are in no hurry with progressing Shamy to the Lenny/Howardette phase of coitus expectus. It's a unique relationship involving a very unique individual.

• Like 2

Every time I read or listen to interviews with writers, whether individually or at comic con, I come away with the distinct impression they are in no hurry with progressing Shamy to the Lenny/Howardette phase of coitus expectus. It's a unique relationship involving a very unique individual.

I agree.  And I hate it when people start pressing for Sheldon to "step up" or to "be a man" or to "give Amy what she wants", in terms of wanting them to have sex.  I maintain that if the shoe were on the other foot--if Sheldon wanted sex and Amy was struggling with issues, nobody would be saying that Amy ought to "give it up" just because he wanted it.

One of the big differences between Sheldon and the other guys is that he wasn't hunting for a girlfriend, or longing for love and companionship, or looking for a hook-up, or wanting to lose his virginity.

That he has a girlfriend at all, let alone one that he has just barely learned to kiss, is a major breakthrough for him.  And it took him a while to get to this point.  Though he may be slowly finding himself to be more comfortable with the concept of having a girlfriend, he still doesn't have the same libido or the same "goal" or the same level of desire that the other guys (and girls) have.

If he needs to take it slow, if he needs to learn what it means to be a boyfriend--in the emotional, supportive, caring sense--then why can't he be allowed to go slow and learn properly.  Having sex doesn't automatically make someone a better bf or gf.  I'd rather see him learning how to be a more open person emotionally with her before they start dealing with bodily functions.

• Like 3

WARNING. . Stay away from the Shamy Thread if you are a Lenny. Apparently Sheldon having to go away & find himself... penny's fault. I love the way sheldon can do no wrong. obsolute comedy.

Samsung Note3

WARNING. . Stay away from the Shamy Thread if you are a Lenny. Apparently Sheldon having to go away & find himself... penny's fault. I love the way sheldon can do no wrong. obsolute comedy.

Samsung Note3

I think you're being ridiculous.  Though some people have expressed that opinion, I don't think it's the prevailing one and is actively being discussed.  And NOBODY has said that Sheldon can do no wrong.

• Like 8