S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

1) It was a comparision....I never said it was going to happen

2) Again all those things , we came to know after that episode... no one would know what would happen later at that point of time....

my point was Sheldon tried to get what he wanted by trying to put his best friend's relationship in jeopardy..... and as a friend one should never do that ........as simple as that....

And how do you know did Sheldon really set his computer to send that message or was he bluffing?

And how do you know did Sheldon really set his computer to send that message or was he bluffing?

Because the show clearly implied he did set his computer to send that message.....

and if he were bluffing .... they would have shown it ... and it would have been a twist ending...

Oh, Chrismo. I frequently agree with Lennies, especially when they're pointing out an egregious piece of Giant Tyrannical Babyness (hat-tip to NoGrav, I think?) of one Doctor Cooper. If you think that Shamies are a monolithic unit, ranks closing around Lennies like Venus Flytraps, I am tickled and half-flattered, but I assure you it isn't the case. If you're saying this about Lennys, again I'm not sure it's not true. Come in for a hug, old chap (gender-neutral).

Every character is immature at times, they are supposed to be like that. Your "Giant Tyranical Babyness" is a perfect example of blowing things out of proportion.

Because the show clearly implied he did set his computer to send that message.....

and if he were bluffing .... they would have shown it ... and it would have been a twist ending...

I doubt that Sheldon would reveal that he was bluffing in the end if he did. By keeping it a secret he would make sure that Leonard's and Priya think that he is capable of something like that and they wouldn't dare to try mess with his Agreenent or do something like that again.

I doubt that Sheldon would reveal that he was bluffing in the end if he did. By keeping it a secret he would make sure that Leonard's and Priya think that he is capable of something like that and they wouldn't dare to try mess with his Agreenent or do something like that again.

But clearly he was not bluffing... so your point is moot.....

Edited by vasu

But clearly he was not bluffing... so your point is moot.....

How do you mean "clearly"? We just saw the computer watch counting down. Even Leonard suggested that Sheldon was bluffing. We never saw the note he supposendly set his computer to send.

How do you mean "clearly"? We just saw the computer watch counting down. Even Leonard suggested that Sheldon was bluffing. We never saw the note he supposendly set his computer to send.

And Sheldon said he never bluffs....

Nope , there is no reason for him to lie..

And he is not a good lier too....

There is no reason for him to lie? Leonard wouldn't sign the new Agreement if Sheldon admitted that he was bluffing. He is a good liar when lies are well thought out and planned.

There is no reason for him to lie? Leonard wouldn't sign the new Agreement if Sheldon admitted that he was bluffing.

That exactly is the reason he would'nt bluff... he would not want to take any risks....

And nothing would have happen to him even he send that email... nothing would effect him....

and you can clearly see by the last scene in that episode...where Leonard and Priya were arguing Sheldon was acting like Leonard's relationship problems was just some petty nuisance he had to endure....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

There is no reason for him to lie? Leonard wouldn't sign the new Agreement if Sheldon admitted that he was bluffing. He is a good liar when lies are well thought out and planned.

Oh, I don't think Sheldon was bluffing.  I think he was completely serious.  Even so, the point was that it totally revealed Priya's true colors.

• Like 3

I can vouch for that as not true.

Oh, Chrismo. I frequently agree with Lennies, especially when they're pointing out an egregious piece of Giant Tyrannical Babyness (hat-tip to NoGrav, I think?) of one Doctor Cooper. If you think that Shamies are a monolithic unit, ranks closing around Lennies like Venus Flytraps, I am tickled and half-flattered, but I assure you it isn't the case. If you're saying this about Lennys, again I'm sure it's not true. Come in for a hug, old chap (gender-neutral).

While I would agree with that on either a Shamy or Lenny thread I think it's different on a general thread. I also think IMO it may be more noticeable to Lenny fans since there are more Shamy fans on here. I think it's not universal but at times in regards to Sheldon (or Penny) that  particular thread can say something negative about them but when the other thread says something negative things become sensitive.

iI can see the living arrangements changing with either Penny moving in to Apartment 4A, Leonard moving into Apartment 4B with Amy moving into Sheldon's. I cant see Sheldon moving into Amy's, if anything she will move in with him. Sheldon I cant see liking change to actually move out, Sheldon will end up staying where he is.

What if Penny and Leonard move into a different floor of the building with a bigger apartment.

This causes problems. The larger apartments are on the "A" side. So to use a larger apartment, on another floor, they would have to reset 4A, to be Lenny's. (Like they do for different floors on the stairwell.). They can't rebuild 4B, as the door would be on the wrong side(and there would be space issues.).

Its funny thought...

When Penny was pushed to do something she did not want to ..... she dumped Leonard in front of everyone....

When Sheldon was pushed..... he ran away.....

When Priya was pushed... she reacted similarly

Again what happened later does not matter at that point of time........ no one knew what was going to happen....

saying that she cheated later so what Sheldon did was actually helping Leonard is ridiculous....

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome!

I see a lot has happened while I was away.  I happen to agree with Tensor about living arrangements.  Trying to quote but maybe I cannot yet as a new member.

Also, as a person who ships all the show's ships thus far, I try not to have preconceived notion or use RW experiences to form MY opinion of how relationships play out on the show.  The Shamy shipper in me would be 100% ok if they never make it to coitus on the show if they show a level of intimacy that makes sense to Shamy. 

The Lenny in me also does not expect that now that they are engaged they have to move in ASAP or be married by this time...or what not.  I have not seen it mentioned in the first 2 taping reports.  I know I will be happy right now just to see that Penny is wearing the engagement ring.  Yeah, would it be nice that there was even a throw away line in one of the epis (maybe there is and I missed it in the taping reports) but I personally am not feeling slighted or upset that the engagement is not front and center right now. 

With at least 3 more seasons to go (8, 9, and 10) there is a lot of stories left to tell. 

• Like 4

Oh, I don't think Sheldon was bluffing.  I think he was completely serious.  Even so, the point was that it totally revealed Priya's true colors.

Priya's true colors? That thought never occurred to Sheldon. The Agreement was what mattered.

Priya's true colors? That thought never occurred to Sheldon. The Agreement was what mattered.

I'm not saying that he was trying to show Leonard what kind of person she was.  I'm just saying that he knew that that was how he could leverage the situation.  Amy advised him to play dirty, to not sit mildly by and let the "intruder" disrupt his life.

He knew that Priya wanted to keep her relationship a secret.  He knew that Leonard wouldn't sign without some kind of ultimatum.  So the solution was to offer the ultimatum.  Leonard didn't care if SHeldon told her parents, but Priya did.  So Priya blackmailed Leonard into signing.

Whether Leonard signed because of the email threat or because of Priya's ultimatum, the outcome was the same--the restoration of the RA.

That Leonard saw Priya's true priorities, was secondary--and even if Sheldon didn't intend that specific outcome, in the end, it brought out the truth.

She's not referring to Sheldon's point but the storytelling point. What the audience saw, which was that Priya was hiding her relationship with Leonard from her parents. Sheldon's issue was the Agreement and defending his precious turf and status quo at all costs. It is of interest that only Sheldon actually divined Priya's weakness, though. He gambled and he actually won, and it caught Leonard off-guard but it did show Sheldon was right about Priya and precisely how committed she was to that relationship. The crack was already there, Sheldon saw it, and drove the wedge in and broke it open, but he didn't create it from nothing. The weakness was already there in the relationship, and Sheldon exploited it. Was this anything but selfish, no, it was ruthless and it let you know about Sheldon's priorities. But that's another argument.

Speaking of relationships and the first two episodes; I find them all suspiciously quiet. Emily isn't shown, and there's little interaction and no romance between Lenny, Howardette or Shamy. I wonder if they are taking a deliberate step back from romance, or that's just how things are getting started.

• Like 4

Yes, getting the agreement back in effect was what Sheldon was after, but Sheldon's gambit only worked because he knew what was really important to Priya, and it wasn't Leonard - by the way, that was one of my favorite Sheldon moments Ever :)

• Like 1

She's not referring to Sheldon's point but the storytelling point. What the audience saw, which was that Priya was hiding her relationship with Leonard from her parents. Sheldon's issue was the Agreement and defending his precious turf and status quo at all costs. It is of interest that only Sheldon actually divined Priya's weakness, though. He gambled and he actually won, and it caught Leonard off-guard but it did show Sheldon was right about Priya and precisely how committed she was to that relationship. The crack was already there, Sheldon saw it, and drove the wedge in and broke it open, but he didn't create it from nothing. The weakness was already there in the relationship, and Sheldon exploited it. Was this anything but selfish, no, it was ruthless and it let you know about Sheldon's priorities. But that's another argument.

Speaking of relationships and the first two episodes; I find them all suspiciously quiet. Emily isn't shown, and there's little interaction and no romance between Lenny, Howardette or Shamy. I wonder if they are taking a deliberate step back from romance, or that's just how things are getting started.

No no no...All Sheldon knew was that Priya did not want tell their parents about their relationship at that time .... thats it...

Reason no one knew .... it could have been anything....... and what happened later cannot be counted here....

Wheaton did a similar thing...  He wanted to win the game... he knew Penny did not want to say I love you to Leonard....so he made up that story so that he could exploit it and win the game.....

Sheldon and Wheaton basically did the same things....and got what they wanted... with no consideration to Leonard.... but Leonard is supposed to be Sheldon's best friend....

But Sheldon is this shows star.... and they never want him to be wrong... so it was left alone like that...

And you say he gambled.... yes.....he gambled on Leonard's relationship.......

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

The last few episodes of S7 were fairly relationshippy (the engagement, Raj/Emily, one of the reasons that Sheldon got out of Dodge), so I can imagine that the writers thought a couple of nice funny throat-clearing episodes would be in order. They can't ignore the engagement for long, though. Sooner or later the ramifications (wedding dates, living arrangements, remaining family members) will need to be discussed.

• Like 1

The last few episodes of S7 were fairly relationshippy (the engagement, Raj/Emily, one of the reasons that Sheldon got out of Dodge), so I can imagine that the writers thought a couple of nice funny throat-clearing episodes would be in order. They can't ignore the engagement for long, though. Sooner or later the ramifications (wedding dates, living arrangements, remaining family members) will need to be discussed.

I'll bet the writers themselves don't know what they are going to do with all that yet - how to keep the dynamic of the big three going with Leonard and Penny getting married, how to keep Leonard and Sheldon's apartment the center meeting point of the show, where is Sheldon going to live once Lenny get married? and will Lenny get married at the end of this season or will they stretch it out to the end of the series? - interesting questions I'm looking forward to seeing the answers to.

• Like 2