The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigbangsheldon

S8 Discussion Thread

No no no...All Sheldon knew was that Priya did not want tell their parents about their relationship at that time .... thats it...

Reason no one knew .... it could have been anything....... and what happened later cannot be counted here....

Wheaton did a similar thing... He wanted to win the game... he knew Penny did not want to say I love you to Leonard....so he made up that story so that he could exploit it and win the game.....

Sheldon and Wheaton basically did the same things....and got what they wanted... with no consideration to Leonard.... but Leonard is supposed to be Sheldon's best friend....

But Sheldon is this shows star.... and they never want him to be wrong... so it was left alone like that...

And you say he gambled.... yes.....he gambled on Leonard's relationship.......

Why are you being so dramatic?

Why are you being so dramatic?

I'm just making a point....nothing else.......

No no no...All Sheldon knew was that Priya did not want tell their parents about their relationship at that time .... thats it...

Reason no one knew .... it could have been anything....... and what happened later cannot be counted here....

Wheaton did a similar thing...  He wanted to win the game... he knew Penny did not want to say I love you to Leonard....so he made up that story so that he could exploit it and win the game.....

Sheldon and Wheaton basically did the same things....and got what they wanted... with no consideration to Leonard.... but Leonard is supposed to be Sheldon's best friend....

But Sheldon is this shows star.... and they never want him to be wrong... so it was left alone like that...

And you say he gambled.... yes.....he gambled on Leonard's relationship.......

You're the one who said that Sheldon broke up the relationship.  But since they didn't break up in that moment when he set up the ultimatum, then the break-up isn't as a result of Sheldon's actions either--since what happens after this scene doesn't count, as you say.

Wheaton essentially told Penny to break up with Leonard rather than string him along, if she couldn't say "I love you".  He didn't come out and tell her that directly, but he certainly figured that if he planted the seed, in this situation, that something bad would come of it.

Sheldon did not try to tell either Leonard or Priya to break up.  All he did was use her desire to keep the relationship a secret from her parents as a lever with which to make Leonard sign.

That he exposed that crack, or took advantage of the issue, is separate from the eventual break-up.  But it certainly showed Leonard what Priya's priorities were.  Sheldon simply used her weakness against her, and thus against Leonard.

So, again, if what happened afterward doesn't count, then it can't count against Sheldon.  He never advised them to break up.

• Like 2

You're the one who said that Sheldon broke up the relationship.  But since they didn't break up in that moment when he set up the ultimatum, then the break-up isn't as a result of Sheldon's actions either--since what happens after this scene doesn't count, as you say.

Wheaton essentially told Penny to break up with Leonard rather than string him along, if she couldn't say "I love you".  He didn't come out and tell her that directly, but he certainly figured that if he planted the seed, in this situation, that something bad would come of it.

Sheldon did not try to tell either Leonard or Priya to break up.  All he did was use her desire to keep the relationship a secret from her parents as a lever with which to make Leonard sign.

That he exposed that crack, or took advantage of the issue, is separate from the eventual break-up.  But it certainly showed Leonard what Priya's priorities were.  Sheldon simply used her weakness against her, and thus against Leonard.

So, again, if what happened afterward doesn't count, then it can't count against Sheldon.  He never advised them to break up.

I never said Sheldon was the reason they broke up...

I said Sheldon is type of a person who would put his friends relationship in jeapardy to get what he wants....

and that act should have been punished... but he never was....

Edited by vasu

I usually don't like to read too far into debates about fictional character intentions or fan analysis since everyone is biased and wrong because they don't write the characters themselves (regardless if they admit it or not) but phanta, you're the only member on this forum whose insight is probably the most accurate and very least infuriating to me because you're always so logical lol.

Edited to underline and bold "usually"

Edited by tx-fictionqueen
  • Like 2

Yes, getting the agreement back in effect was what Sheldon was after, but Sheldon's gambit only worked because he knew what was really important to Priya, and it wasn't Leonard - by the way, that was one of my favorite Sheldon moments Ever :)

It also shows that Leonard wasn't important to Sheldon either. Apparently you don't like Leonard if that was a favorite Sheldon moment. In reality it didn't break up the relationship. Leonard kissing Alice and then finding out Priya sleeping with her ex did.

• Like 1

@ vasu: I'm probably going to fuel the fire, but Sheldon would have never done that if Leonard and Priya didn't attack him and the RA first.

So, sorry, but IMO, Leonard deserved what happened.

@ vasu: I'm probably going to fuel the fire, but Sheldon would have never done that if Leonard and Priya didn't attack him and the RA first.

To answer your point...

They did not attack the RA... they were just following the RA which was written by Sheldon .... and Sheldon himself could not refute it...

That is the reason he played in a dirty and cowardly instead of doing it directly... he went through the backdoor....

and he modified the RA...which would benefit him highly.....

Please watch the episode once again and tell me if I am wrong....

And as far as Sheldon following the rules... clearly he found loopholes in his own agreement so he could bring Raj to his date with Amy.... and he completely disregarded the rules when something happened to his barber...

So if Sheldon does not follow the rules he created it is ok ... but when some else follow the rules which do not favor Sheldon then they should be punished according to you...

Edited by vasu

The RA and the GA in reality would never hold up in any court. It's just really a bunch of nonsense. If Leonard moved out and Amy dumped Sheldon IMO that would be deserved.

• Like 1

It also shows that Leonard wasn't important to Sheldon either. Apparently you don't like Leonard if that was a favorite Sheldon moment. In reality it didn't break up the relationship. Leonard kissing Alice and then finding out Priya sleeping with her ex did.

Priya made plans to move back to India without telling Leonard before all that, so they were already on the road to breaking up, Sheldon just helped push it along by pointing out Priya's lack of true feelings for Leonard - and I love Leonard, but he and Priya challenged Sheldon and he won - in one of the most truly awesome moments in the series.

• Like 1

Well... if Leonard and Amy are really unhappy or worse with their respective agreement, they could easily dump both the agreement and Sheldon.

If they don't it just means that they don't think it is a bunch of nonsense.

Well... if Leonard and Amy are really unhappy or worse with their respective agreement, they could easily dump both the agreement and Sheldon.

I think I remember Amy saying that their agreement was a bunch of nonsense... or something along those lines.....

Anyone of you hardcore fans remember??

You still have'nt answered my previous post...

Edited by vasu

I think I remember Amy saying that their agreement was a bunch of nonsense... or something along those lines.....

Anyone of you hardcore fans remember??

You still have'nt answered my previous post...

Ridiculous. But she also called it romantic at one point too. She loves Sheldon and that's really all that matters.

• Like 3

Ridiculous. But she also called it romantic at one point too.

What is ridiculous.... I don't get it...

I posted that Amy once said that RA was stupid ... or something along those lines.....

You said "But she also called it romantic at one point too" .... so what I posted was correct....

She loves Sheldon and that's really all that matters.

I don't know what this has to do with my post.... I never said what matters and what does not matter... Can you please specify...

Edited by vasu

I haven't replied because you advised me to rewatch the episode which I intend to do because I don't remember things the way you describe it. But I can't do it right now.

And for the line you mention, you're right, but she was mad at the moment. If she was really meaning it, she would have broken up. The RA may be " a bunch of nonsense" in your opinion, but it doesn't prevent them ( Amy and Leonard ) to dump it and to dump Sheldon if they want.

Sorry Vasu....she called their relationship "a ridiculous contract" at one point but she first called it romantic when Sheldon presented it to her after he asked her to be his GF.

Both Amy & Leonard love their partners. This is why they have stood by their mates through thick & thin (and will continue to do so). And its not cause they are doormats, but because they are in relationships with Alpha personalities. Both Amy & Leonard are the caregivers in their relationships. And there is nothing wrong with this.

Now yes, Leonard did start gaining more of a backbone with this topic and who knows, Amy could too at some point. Once Leonard was confident on Penny's return of love, he was able to speak his mind a bit more.

• Like 4

I haven't replied because you advised me to rewatch the episode which I intend to do because I don't remember things the way you describe it. But I can't do it right now.

oh ok...

Thanks for taking my advice :)

And when you do watch it later.. please let me know If I am wrong... cause I have watched it only once... long time back

And for the line you mention, you're right, but she was mad at the moment. If she was really meaning it, she would have broken up. The RA may be " a bunch of nonsense" in your opinion, but it doesn't prevent them ( Amy and Leonard ) to dump it and to dump Sheldon if they want.

I just said Amy once said she thought RA was bunch of nonsense or something along those line.... thats it...

I never said anything related to dumping...

Sorry Vasu....she called their relationship "a ridiculous contract" at one point but she first called it romantic when Sheldon presented it to her after he asked her to be his GF.

As I said I don't remember what she exactly said... thats why I posted something along those lines....

And as you say she called it romantic at first... She probably got fed up with it later....

Edited by vasu

It was in Spoiler Alert 6.15 when Amy called it a ridiculous agreement. It was in the hallway when Leonard move in with Penny after having a fight with Sheldon.

It was in Spoiler Alert 6.15 when Amy called it a ridiculous agreement. It was in the hallway when Leonard move in with Penny after having a fight with Sheldon.

Actually it may have been in S/L's  apartment before the hallway.

• Like 3

Both Amy & Leonard love their partners. This is why they have stood by their mates through thick & thin (and will continue to do so). And its not cause they are doormats, but because they are in relationships with Alpha personalities. Both Amy & Leonard are the caregivers in their relationships. And there is nothing wrong with this.

Now yes, Leonard did start gaining more of a backbone with this topic and who knows, Amy could too at some point. Once Leonard was confident on Penny's return of love, he was able to speak his mind a bit more.

Word!

I never said Sheldon was the reason they broke up...

I said Sheldon is type of a person who would put his friends relationship in jeapardy to get what he wants....

and that act should have been punished... but he never was....

You said that Sheldon and Wheaton did the same thing--that is, broke up Leonard's relationships (with Priya and Penny respectively.) 

AND... see below

Its funny , he did not seem remotely upset , when Raj replaced Leonard as his roommate... Infact he seemed pretty pleased with it...

And Sheldon even went as far to destroy Leonard's relationship with Priya to get what he wants...

So, again, if L/Priya didn't break up in that moment (they simply started arguing), then Sheldon's RA showdown didn't "destroy" their relationship, since it was, according to you, unknowable by Sheldon at this point.

If he couldn't know, as you said before, that his actions would reveal the true flaw in the relationship, then he couldn't have known that he was putting their relationship "in jeopardy", either.

I think that the main point of the scene, and that episode, is that one aspect of the status quo of the show is that Sheldon has this Roommate Agreement to which Leonard has agreed to comply.  It's used all the time for comedic effect to show Sheldon's quirks and, yes, his brand of tyranny.  That is an aspect of his character, like the others have as well--Raj and his hangups, Howard and his mother and his penchant for sleaze, Leonard and his desire for Penny along with his insecurities (and, earlier, his willingness to sleep with women if they want him to), and so forth.

The story was always going to return to the status quo--L/S sharing the apartment under the guidelines of the RA--and Priya was going to eventually disappear.

By introducing Priya, the writers were simply shaking things up a bit.  She was never intended to take the place of Penny in the long-term aspect of the show's development, as far as I can tell.  She was a momentary diversion, and ultimately a way for Penny to realize the mistake she had made in breaking up with Leonard, that, even though she couldn't quite say it for a while, she really did love Leonard.

So, the relationship with Priya was intentionally flawed from the start in many ways, not just the secret from her parents.  When they hooked up that first time, she obviously just wanted him for a dalliance, not a relationship, even though he was ready to try to make a relationship out of it.

Then when she returned, she couldn't accept Leonard for what he was, but was constantly trying to change him--contacts, new clothes, distance from Penny, disdain for his nerdy pursuits, etc.--and yet she obviously had other priorities above her relationship with him.

So, the way I see it, the writers wanted Sheldon to "triumph" over Priya and her dissection of his RA.  Whether or not the RA is flawed or has no legal standing outside of Sheldon's mind, it's one of the traditions of the show, and also, I think, a revealing peek into Sheldon's mind--that he feels the world is chaotic and that he has a need to try to control the chaos, down to TV shows and bowel movements.

In the end, the RA was going to win and Priya would eventually leave, because that is where the overall story was going to go.  The writers wanted Sheldon to win at Priya's expense.  She beat him at his own game in the beginning, pointing out the flaws in the RA and using those flaws against him, and he beat her in the end by rewriting the RA and then using her own flaw against her as leverage.

And ultimately, if Leonard hates the RA as much as he says, he has always been free to move out wherever he wants, whenever he wants.  But he doesn't for whatever reasons, not the least of which is that the story that's being told is one where he stays with Sheldon.

Now, because of the engagement, we know that sooner or later things will change and the question now becomes how and when that will happen.

I usually don't like to read too far into debates about fictional character intentions or fan analysis since everyone is biased and wrong because they don't write the characters themselves (regardless if they admit it or not) but phanta, you're the only member on this forum whose insight is probably the most accurate and very least infuriating to me because you're always so logical lol.

Edited to underline and bold "usually"

Why thank you... :icon_redface:

I try to look at it from what it seems the writers are intending, as well as the overall construct of the show, since we know that the characters and their intentions do not exist outside of the writers' intentions.  And we know that we do have things like throw-away lines and punchlines used for effect that may not have the import that some people try to ascribe to them.

And I also truly believe that the writers love all of the characters and want all of them to have their ultimate happy endings, but they also have no qualms about poking fun at each of them, and deflating them each a bit now and then.

No one is the devil and no one is a saint.  And whatever quibbles and arguments the characters may engage in with each other, the characters ulitimately love each other as well.

IMO

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 5

You said that Sheldon and Wheaton did the same thing--that is, broke up Leonard's relationships (with Priya and Penny respectively.) 

AND... see below

So, again, if L/Priya didn't break up in that moment (they simply started arguing), then Sheldon's RA showdown didn't "destroy" their relationship, since it was, according to you, unknowable by Sheldon at this point.

If he couldn't know, as you said before, that his actions would reveal the true flaw in the relationship, then he couldn't have known that he was putting their relationship "in jeopardy", either.

I think that the main point of the scene, and that episode, is that one aspect of the status quo of the show is that Sheldon has this Roommate Agreement to which Leonard has agreed to comply.  It's used all the time for comedic effect to show Sheldon's quirks and, yes, his brand of tyranny.  That is an aspect of his character, like the others have as well--Raj and his hangups, Howard and his mother and his penchant for sleaze, Leonard and his desire for Penny along with his insecurities (and, earlier, his willingness to sleep with women if they want him to), and so forth.

The story was always going to return to the status quo--L/S sharing the apartment under the guidelines of the RA--and Priya was going to eventually disappear.

By introducing Priya, the writers were simply shaking things up a bit.  She was never intended to take the place of Penny in the long-term aspect of the show's development, as far as I can tell.  She was a momentary diversion, and ultimately a way for Penny to realize the mistake she had made in breaking up with Leonard, that, even though she couldn't quite say it for a while, she really did love Leonard.

So, the relationship with Priya was intentionally flawed from the start in many ways, not just the secret from her parents.  When they hooked up that first time, she obviously just wanted him for a dalliance, not a relationship, even though he was ready to try to make a relationship out of it.

Then when she returned, she couldn't accept Leonard for what he was, but was constantly trying to change him--contacts, new clothes, distance from Penny, disdain for his nerdy pursuits, etc.--and yet she obviously had other priorities above her relationship with him.

So, the way I see it, the writers wanted Sheldon to "triumph" over Priya and her dissection of his RA.  Whether or not the RA is flawed or has no legal standing outside of Sheldon's mind, it's one of the traditions of the show, and also, I think, a revealing peek into Sheldon's mind--that he feels the world is chaotic and that he has a need to try to control the chaos, down to TV shows and bowel movements.

In the end, the RA was going to win and Priya would eventually leave, because that is where the overall story was going to go.  The writers wanted Sheldon to win at Priya's expense.  She beat him at his own game in the beginning, pointing out the flaws in the RA and using those flaws against him, and he beat her in the end by rewriting the RA and then using her own flaw against her as leverage.

And ultimately, if Leonard hates the RA as much as he says, he has always been free to move out wherever he wants, whenever he wants.  But he doesn't for whatever reasons, not the least of which is that the story that's being told is one where he stays with Sheldon.

Now, because of the engagement, we know that sooner or later things will change and the question now becomes how and when that will happen.

After my second post which you quoted ... I said later in another post that I forgot to add some things to it and even apologized... please go ahead and check it...

And regarding Sheldon and Wheaton.. you got it wrong... What I was going for is that both of them would go even as far to put someone's relationship in danger and no consideration as to how they would feel to get what they want.....

And thanks for explaining the comedic aspects... again

Edited by vasu

And as you say she called it romantic at first... She probably got fed up with it later....

But, according to you, what happens latter doesn't count, Right?

• Like 3

But, according to you, what happens latter doesn't count, Right?

Priya did not want to tell her parents about their relationship at that point when Sheldon brought the new RA...

no one knew the reason why at that point... no one knew she was going to cheat on Leonard.... no one knew that she was going to india without telling Leonard.....

So Sheldon theatening to email her parents... so causing a rift was wrong and a cowardly move...

As no one knew the reason why ( it could have been anything) .. at that point of time what happened later did not count...as Sheldon's actions were wrong...

What you quoted is completely different...

She first called it romantic.... the she found out how RA is after spending some time... the she only calls it ridiculous...

I don't see how those two situations are even remotely connected...

Edited by vasu

I kind of think a long debate that includes Priya and Leonard's breakup from Priya probably is misplaced when it is the season 8 thread.

:lazy:

• Like 6