S8 Discussion Thread

bigbangsheldon

I think there's a lot of taking things too seriously going on here.  Amy didn't hurt Leonard when she hit him with a pillow, definitely not more than Penny did  when Sheldon said he might sleep with Amy someday.  Looking at these things through real-world eyes, they're probably too much.  However, in sit-com land, where things are irreverent, it's all fine.  If you don't put on your sit-com version of suspension of disbelief, you're never going to enjoy any comedy show.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always found the concept of shipping characters on this show who are not cannon kinda silly in a 30 min show lol. It is funny because although I have a biast to Lenny, I don't consider myself a "shipper" in the technical term. I mean I didn't even know what shipping meant until I went to this site, I thought it meant you don't like two characters together, or it meant you ship them because they are a couple on a show haha little did I know. So if say L and P broke up or weren't together, that would not be a reason for me anyway to stop watching, I didn't watch because I am love sick for the Lenny! That was part of it later on I suspose haha, but I initially watched because I enjoyed the fresh concepts that were being showed, two geeky physicists and their hottie neighbour. Compared to all the sappy rom com's on tv that have just never ended ever since Friends perfected it from 1994-2004, it just never ends so BBT was a breathe of fresh air. So guess I am just saying I don't watch the show, and go okay wheres my pencil, where can I locate the Lenny, damn that is not Lenny that is Penuart!! I am a Lenny!! Damn it writers lol. It's funny because if you go watch the pilot, the premise is heavily based on the relationship between Leonard and Penny, their first meeting the very first scene, is Leonard and Penny eye's meeting, which was then emphasized in S5 100th ep, when once again Leonard and Penny's eyes meet. And Sheldon wanting nothing to do with this new girl, as it was game night or what ever. Then Penny heavily more interested in Leonard's whiteboard. I mean even in S2 I think it was, Leonard was the only one who had the nerve to confront Kurt who had some money of Penny's. Most of the scenes between Penny and Sheldon, were the writers playing them off as Friends and Antagonists.

I wonder if the TPTB or the Writers are even aware of what Shenny even means, it's not like they write ok where can we make it evident these two people are friends, Penny won't date a dog well she so??? Even go back to Sheldon "supporting" Penny because they are both dreamers, he didn't have the same level of investment that Leonard has, Leonard was more worried about the effect on their relationship, as it turned out Sheldon was not all that supportive, when he cared more about game night then her career crisis, and Leonard was the one who stepped up and saved her cute little butt. I think theirs many theories Shenny's deconstruct to suit their own ethology 1. The Parrot is apparently Penny conspicousley suggesting her secret love 2. The Spaghetti Catalyst 3. The Laundary Scenes. But clearly the writers have deconstructed that, and chewed it up and spat it out. To me Penny and Sheldon is like Sheldon and Missy, the concept alone to me anyway has always come across as creepy at best. I have always appreciated the comedic value they bring to the show, but I Think it's best to have a balance between perception and reality, Difference is fundamentally Penny is indifferent to when she hurts Leonard but she suffers too, Sheldon just doesn't seem to care about anyone that's not my Nobel Prize, and since the beginning always need's to be told what he does and says is not on. To be honest though it is not all Sheldon's fault, his friends do enable his behaviour, Amy does too. I remember in S2 Penny when banned from 4a, she told Leonard you guys have got to stop letting Sheldon walk all over you, you know stop enabling his behaviour, Sheldon well never learn and grow if he feels he can get away with it, maybe they should of listened to Penny mmmmm. And I don't think Raj was Penny's second choice in terms of attainability, more theoritcal scnerario, he was rich so Penny was like Damn maybe I was too quick to dump him lol. Like Sheldon said compared to the rest of the guys your a mackdaddy (Talking to Leonard). 

Edited by 3ku11

Hey why don't we petition the writers to start the first episode of S8 as a 'to the second' continuation of that damned tag scene and they can show Penny's beautifully supportive follow up reaction to Amy's pain that may well have happened off screen ( once she stops whacking Leonard of course, if she intervenes during the belting she might cop it in the face too - has happened before). Then Penny can have her moment of redemption in front of  all those offended by her 2 second disdainful look, the besties are reunited, she can stay and have dinner with Lenny and discuss wedding plans with them, Amy gets to be maid of honour in her tiara again and all will be right in the world!  :sarcastic: We can call it a pre-tag scene.

That sounds gross.

I'd rather have Amy and Penny start the season in a pissy unresolved fight so Sheldon can't ask Penny to help him fight his battles. Then have them come back together in a more equal friendship.

uh, this is one of those times I'm kind of sitting with Sheldon from s1e1 and saying "what's happening?"

• Perhaps Penny thought that Amy's behavior was simply predictable and the best course of action was to just let it play out.
  • I could be forgetting something but generally it is Amy saying Besties. Generally I don't think Penny encouraged that but sort of put up with it.
  • Penny probably figures this is the sort of stuff you are going to get if Sheldon is your boyfriend.
So, really where are you coming from on this? Penny's non reaction seems perfectly Penny to me.

1. I am totally fine with Penny doing nothing at the time. If I had to choose an action for Penny it would definitely be to grab the pillow from Amy's hands and shout "calm down" at her. You know once I was really sad and kind of teared up on the bus and the people who noticed had that sympathetic look on their faces. I wished I had a friend to look at me like that at the moment.

2. Which brings me to your second point. You're right Amy likes Penny better but I think she used to tolerate her. But they had some bonding moments since like girl nights, Penny trying to learn stuff at Amy about relationships, Amy supporting Penny when Leonard was with Priya. I hardly think she still tolerates her I think she likes her. But even if she doesn't reallyyy likes her I think she has just a little affection for her and given Penny's nature (because I personally think she not so insensitive as that scene depicted her or people seem to think she is) I would expect a different reaction

3. So what? I am sorry but I just don't understand the "you had it coming" logic. What was she supposed to do break up with Sheldon before he leaves cause he was a flight risk?? She knew it very well she even said it once so she deserves being hurt or she doesn't deserve empathy or support. Sorry I just don't get it.

Anyway for me the fact is that Amy was really hurt and Penny found that boring. I hold her higher than that that's all.

That sounds gross.

I'd rather have Amy and Penny start the season in a pissy unresolved fight so Sheldon can't ask Penny to help him fight his battles. Then have them come back together in a more equal friendship.

But a fight over what? A look or a pillow slap? I hope not. I read it that Penny has let Sheldon go. He's on his own and should face the music or pillow that way.

Anyway, after his time on the tramp steamer cruising around the Mediterranean he will be tanned, fit and ready to face the world as a functioning person who can take responsibility. And well rested after his stay on Mykonos. Opa!

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Like some have said Penny was really hurting this season too was Amy all that supportive, no all she had to say was her and Bernadette were really sick of her moaning about her career. What was she susposed to act like everything's perfect? Like Amy and Bernadette are, with their career's so settled. Either that or Amy and Bernadette made sparring comments about Penny's dating history. I was really not surprised Penny was the least supportive of Amy in the finalie 1. What difference would it of made 2. Based on the trends of Season 7 Bernie and Amy grew a lot closer, and Penny was growing apart form them. I am just saying it is a two way street, support needs to be both ways. Penny just knows what kinda bf Sheldon is to Amy, what was she expecting, of course Amy shoulden't dump Sheldon but its not like the situation would of changed if Penny hugged Amy, maybe it was a writing error I don't know.  

Edited by 3ku11

@Norg is "face the music" a phrase?? I think someone told me it means to face the consequences but I don't remember very well. Weird phrase!!

Omg I cannot stop laughing picturing Sheldon in Mykonos!!!! Lol he would hate it!!!!! Or he would embrace the chaos and go clubbing till 6 am :p

But a fight over what? A look or a pillow slap? I hope not. I read it that Penny has let Sheldon go. He's on his own and should face the music or pillow that way.

Anyway, after his time on the tramp steamer cruising around the Mediterranean he will be tanned, fit and ready to face the world as a functioning person who can take responsibility. And well rested after his stay on Mykonos. Opa!

What Dreams May come.

@Norg is "face the music" a phrase?? I think someone told me it means to face the consequences but I don't remember very well. Weird phrase!!

Omg I cannot stop laughing picturing Sheldon in Mykonos!!!! Lol he would hate it!!!!! Or he would embrace the chaos and go clubbing till 6 am :p

You got the meaning of the phrase right, Cecilla

1. I am totally fine with Penny doing nothing at the time. If I had to choose an action for Penny it would definitely be to grab the pillow from Amy's hands and shout "calm down" at her. You know once I was really sad and kind of teared up on the bus and the people who noticed had that sympathetic look on their faces. I wished I had a friend to look at me like that at the moment.

2. Which brings me to your second point. You're right Amy likes Penny better but I think she used to tolerate her. But they had some bonding moments since like girl nights, Penny trying to learn stuff at Amy about relationships, Amy supporting Penny when Leonard was with Priya. I hardly think she still tolerates her I think she likes her. But even if she doesn't reallyyy likes her I think she has just a little affection for her and given Penny's nature (because I personally think she not so insensitive as that scene depicted her or people seem to think she is) I would expect a different reaction

3. So what? I am sorry but I just don't understand the "you had it coming" logic. What was she supposed to do break up with Sheldon before he leaves cause he was a flight risk?? She knew it very well she even said it once so she deserves being hurt or she doesn't deserve empathy or support. Sorry I just don't get it.

Anyway for me the fact is that Amy was really hurt and Penny found that boring. I hold her higher than that that's all.

Regarding #3 it is not about agreeing with Penny. We have heard her say something like this to Bernadette about her relationship with Howard. "this is really on you." If Amy is having a problem with Sheldon I don't think she is going to get a heap of sympathy from Penny. The characters are what they are. TBBT is not big on sympathy and empathy. As said in this is a sit com.

Regarding #2 I would not have expected any other reaction. Particularly not in a tag scene. I would never have seen Penny's reaction since my eyes were drawn to the action. Regarding #1 there was really no time and it would not be funny. Tag scenes are quick and are supposed to be funny.

@djsurrey I may be wrong but wasn't the time she said that to Bernadette when she accused Penny for setting them up?? Sorry I don't remember it very well I just think that was how the scene went. Then she was accused I am not surprised she didn't take the fault and she wasn't wrong tbh. As I said I have a different opinion about Penny and I found that scene inconsistent with her character. I know that sometimes TBBT includes things a character wouldn't normally do for the shake of the joke. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it's poorly done. I know this is a sitcom but that is how I process things. If I find myself not enjoying that sitcom anymore for whatever reason I will stop watching it and participate on the forums before anyone else tells me so. For me this is the part of the fun. Most of the times I am really pleased with the show. There are times though that I disagree with the writer's choices and other times that I really disagree with the writer's choices. That happens to be one of them. Not the first and not the last I am certain.

I agree tag scenes are supposed to be funny. For me that one wasn't. I bet we could find more than enough people that loved it and laughed their eyes out and an equal number who didn't care about it and didn't even smile. Well, she did react and she was bored I think we all had time to see that. I don't think it was a matter of time. Anyway, the ''funny'' part of the tag was supposed to be the pillow hitting not Penny checking out her nails. I really don't know how that is funny.

Edited by Cecilia

yes, sure there is stuff I don't like here and there too. On the other hand there are episodes and moments that are great.

The writers have a very diverse bunch of fans to try to please so I can't really expect it all to be what I would have wanted.

From my perspective we see Amy trying to be strong and not let this get the better of her. She usually handles Sheldon very well. Only at the last moment her emotion takes over and she lashes out. Then the scene is over. This if funny because it is atypical. The last time someone pounded on Leonard it was actually Penny and she did not have a pillow on that occasion. Penny had a tough tomboy upbringing. I don't think she would see this little outburst as significant. Why should she react?

That's why I think Penny's reaction was very consistent within her character, as a viewer you are reacting to the action not the character, I don't see why it mattered Penny seemed bored, it was probably just an indicator from Penny oh no another Sheldon meltdown *eyesroll*.

I agree with the first part. There are moments in the show that I love and everytime I even think of them no matter how sad I am they make me laugh. I don't expect to love everything but that won't stop me from talking about the moments I disliked.

About the funny thing sorry but I don't get it. It seems to me more of a "look how funny desperate Amy is" situation. Penny was excited when she hit him I doubt she did it cause of her tomboy upbringing. She should react cause that is what people who care do and I think she cares. She was pretty sympathetic for Raj when he thought he would die alone. Same when Lucy left him. We just view things differently. It's ok.

I agree with the first part. There are moments in the show that I love and everytime I even think of them no matter how sad I am they make me laugh. I don't expect to love everything but that won't stop me from talking about the moments I disliked.

About the funny thing sorry but I don't get it. It seems to me more of a "look how funny desperate Amy is" situation. Penny was excited when she hit him I doubt she did it cause of her tomboy upbringing. She should react cause that is what people who care do and I think she cares. She was pretty sympathetic for Raj when he thought he would die alone. Same when Lucy left him. We just view things differently. It's ok.

I think your reading into things a little bit more then you need too, it was one moment and one scene. Are we constantly isolating Penny, have anyone bothered to focus on how the other characters reacted when Amy was in distress, or is it just focus on Penny's shortcomings. Is it going to be the case everytime a character has a crisis, ell who looked away first lol, I mean come on their are countless other times Penny showed support, but this wasen't oh Amy punched Penny in the nose haha situation, or oh one of Amy's monkey's ran away Penny: Oh I am sorry Ames. Did anyone find it funny when Penny screamed for Leonard in the hallway, and Sheldon tried to diminish it to reinforce his stupid game night no. But it is a sitcom and it is not a romcom it's best to remember, so it's probably just an interpretation thing when it comes to the tag.

Edited by 3ku11

I think your reading into things a little bit more then you need too, it was one moment and one scene. Are we constantly isolating Penny, have anyone bothered to focus on how the other characters reacted when Amy was in distress, or is it just focus on Penny's shortcomings. Is it going to be the case everytime a character has a crisis, ell who looked away first lol, I mean come on their are countless other times Penny showed support, but this wasen't oh Amy punched Penny in the nose haha situation, or oh one of Amy's monkey's ran away Penny: Oh I am sorry Ames. Did anyone find it funny when Penny screamed for Leonard in the hallway, and Sheldon tried to diminish it to reinforce his stupid game night no. But it is a sitcom and it is not a romcom it's best to remember, so it's probably just an interpretation thing when it comes to the tag.

I read just as deep as I need to but thanks for the concern. I don't know who you are talking about but I am not isolating Penny. This is not a competition between the characters to compare who cares the most or who is a better friend. That scene annoyed me so I said it. Others agreed and disagreed so we discussed it. Nothing wrong with that and it's not on purpose against Penny. Penny's bored expression irritated me, Howard's way of speaking about his mother irritated me, Amy manipulating Sheldon out of the break up irritated me. I don't really care that much about Raj though this season he was delightful in most of the episodes, Leonard did nothing to irritate me this season and well Sheldon's worst moment was the Itchy Brain episode. Besides that I liked everything more or less. The scene you mentioned was funny cause Sheldon though he really cares for Penny's well being (at least in my opinion) he doesn't realize that sometimes he becomes insensitive. I know the tag is an interpretation thing I have mentioned it in some of my comments. Sorry I cannot quote at the time.

I just watched the finale again last night and I was thinking about how badly some people took that last scene with the pillow.

To me there are a couple of things that are important when it comes to how Amy is feeling about the whole thing.

One of the most important moments is when she comes to 4A looking for Sheldon.  She's not tearing her hair out or crying over what he said to her.  She says that Sheldon was upset when he left her apartment, but she says he was upset over what Leonard had said about moving out, etc., then she says that she had suggested they move in together, and says something along the lines of how her suggestion was perfectly reasonable, but that Sheldon was too riled up over Leonard's comments.  But in that moment, you can tell from her face that she knows that her suggestion was part of what sent Sheldon running and that she's trying to lay the blame on Leonard.  But she's not doing it in any kind of broken-hearted way.

When L/P say that SHeldon probably just needs some time alone, Amy agrees, and then is all smiles as she invites herself to sit down with them, and is totally not getting the hints they are dropping--very much like the way Sheldon invited himself to dinner with Leonard and Dr. Stephanie once upon a time.

So in the last scene at the end, she seems a little surprised that Sheldon seems to be doing well and sounds so good.  And I think that her over-the-top reaction comes out of the blue (compared to her seeming calm when she gets off the phone) in order to exaggerate the juxtaposition.

And I think Penny's calm reaction is simply the way you sometimes just have to let a person have their tantrum (or "get their cry out") until it subsides.

I don't think Amy was really looking for comfort or for answers but simply venting.

But most importantly, I think it was simply supposed to be over the top in order to keep it funny.  If the writers wanted to show that she was truly upset, they would have ended it on a more poignant note.  But they still would have had a punchline because it's a comedy.

I did not like that scene as well but it was too short to make anything out of it. like phan said, it was done for the comic relieve not drama and for all we know after Amy finished taking her frustration out on leonard penny hugged army or lenny hugged her trying to comfort her. What everyone seems to forget also is that amy is not the only one hurting, lenny are too because they really care about Sheldon and his well being.

Edited by Tonstar17

I did not like that scene as well but it was too short to make anything out of it. like phan said, it was done for the comic relieve not drama and for all we know after Army finished taking her frustration out on leonard penny hugged army or lenny hugged her trying to comfort her. What everyone seems to forget also is that army is not the only one hurting, lenny are too because they really care about Sheldon and his well being.

It's Amy, not Army (although she wields the mighty pillow in that scene ;) )

I agree that Lenny is hurting too, but they at least got to say goodbye to Sheldon in person.

And yes, maybe Penny did comfort Amy afterwards. We just don't know.

I just think the writers made a mistake with making Penny looking like that (not her inaction), that's all.

I did not like that scene as well but it was too short to make anything out of it. like phan said, it was done for the comic relieve not drama and for all we know after Army finished taking her frustration out on leonard penny hugged army or lenny hugged her trying to comfort her. What everyone seems to forget also is that army is not the only one hurting, lenny are too because they really care about Sheldon and his well being.

But they got to see him and wish him good-bye before he left.  They didn't even offer to let Amy know.

Bloody auto correct. Damm, got to turn that off. Thanks will edit.

That we don't know as well. They probably txt amy to let her know after they left the station and isn't it Sheldon job to let his girlfriend know he is going away? I will be piss if I found out from my friends that my other half has gone away without telling me first or even a phone call.

Edited by Tonstar17

I did not like that scene as well but it was too short to make anything out of it. like phan said, it was done for the comic relieve not drama and for all we know after Amy finished taking her frustration out on leonard penny hugged army or lenny hugged her trying to comfort her. What everyone seems to forget also is that amy is not the only one hurting, lenny are too because they really care about Sheldon and his well being.

I didn't have a problem with Amy hitting Leonard with a pillow, Leonard is sort of cast as the punching bag of the group, plus she was hurting so going to her friend and hitting him with a pillow doesn't seem too bad to me. Penny's expression really confused me and they made a point of showing it, so I wonder what the purpose of it was.

I don't think that Lenny are going to be hurting. They'll worry slightly before enjoying their freedom. As long as he's not dead in a ditch or in prison, they'll have a great summer, together. No matter what happens, they'll get Sheldon back, their relationship  in tact. There is no risk for them. They might act slightly wistful, but it won't overly trouble them.

Amy's a different story. Her relationship with him is one of the most important things in her life. This trip could have a bad outcome for her or a good one, but she has no  power either way. She has to wait. This will effect her day to day existence in a negative way.

But of course, Amy's in exactly the same boat as people who aren't romantically involved with Sheldon, who did get a chance to say good bye and see that he was okay. It's not apples and oranges at all.

I didn't have a problem with Amy hitting Leonard with a pillow, Leonard is sort of cast as the punching bag of the group, plus she was hurting so going to her friend and hitting him with a pillow doesn't seem too bad to me. Penny's expression really confused me and they made a point of showing it, so I wonder what the purpose of it was.

I guess we will never know but create our own opinions on what it meant. It did bother me too. I kinda saw it as penny just staying out of it or not knowing what to do.