S8 Discussion Thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taping Report    “The Prom Equivalency”   Hi!!   This is my first taping report EVER so please be considerate and I will try my best. This was also my first taping, now that I live in LA, I was

I want you guys to know how hard these ladies are working on this report! "All right, who's got scene 13?" "Oh, that's me!"

Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone has reported this yet, but there's dialogue from the prom episode that I'm not sure was in the taping report. In the scene where Amy tells Sheldon she is going up to

Posted Images

First, thank you for the taping report and all the commentary from those who attended.  I love that one quiet half-hour in my week when I sit in my kitchen in my PJ's, groggy, waiting for the coffee to finish brewing, reading the report off of my phone. 

Second, I personally, am not going to speculate of the content of the reports.  Too many times, my own over-active imagination has led me to visualize a scene playing out a particular way only to have it appear on my TV with a completely different feel and tone.  I am a unabashed Shamy shipper and I will savor the sweet moments as described and wait to see how the rest plays out post-editing.

Again, my gratitude to (and festering jealously of)  those who attend and report back to the rest of us. 

PS, the behind the scenes moments are my favorites, keep 'em coming.

• Like 6

First, thank you for the taping report and all the commentary from those who attended.  I love that one quiet half-hour in my week when I sit in my kitchen in my PJ's, groggy, waiting for the coffee to finish brewing, reading the report off of my phone. 

Second, I personally, am not going to speculate of the content of the reports.  Too many times, my own over-active imagination has led me to visualize a scene playing out a particular way only to have it appear on my TV with a completely different feel and tone.  I am a unabashed Shamy shipper and I will savor the sweet moments as described and wait to see how the rest plays out post-editing.

Again, my gratitude to (and festering jealously of)  those who attend and report back to the rest of us. 

PS, the behind the scenes moments are my favorites, keep 'em coming.

Why is your morning exactly like me morning?!!?

• Like 1

LOL!! I do the same thing in the mornings too!

The worst part is other family members wandering into the kitchen asking "why do you have that stupid grin on your face?"

Other conflict, I'm only half way done with the report and the coffee is done brewing!  I want coffee, but I want to finish reading.  If I get coffee, I might be a little more alert, but if I get coffee, I have to stop reading, Damn it, must have coffee, I got coffee, now I have to start reading from the beginning again because I was groggy without my coffee and LOST TRACK OF WHAT WAS HAPPENING   :)

(1st world problems, sigh)

• Like 5

Yeah, my oldest kid thinks all of us on this forum are crazy. They think its hilarious when I start laughing hysterically while I'm reading on my phone.

As for coffee in the morning? I just don't start reading until my first cup is ready. I can't function until I have some. I had to invest in a coffee pot that I could program to brew at a certain time. So I get it ready before bed and when I wake up in the morning, it's all brewed and ready to drink.

• Like 1

I have to imagine that they were watching television. They were both looking forward towards the TV, and not sitting terribly close together. If I recall everything correctly, Penny had her feet up under her, and I believe she was eating popcorn.

Thanks for the response and the taping report, it is really nice of you to do that for the forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response and the taping report, it is really nice of you to do that for the forum.

You're very welcome, happy to do it! Honestly, Leonard and Penny seem solid. If I understand the writers and their trajectory of the last seven years, Leonard and Penny are headed for happily ever after. It just doesn't make sense to disrupt it to the point that it cannot be mended in the end. I'm happy to see them having normal couple fears and moments because it keeps me rooting for them.

Can anyone who was there tell us about curtain calls after taping? I've seen pictures and would really like to know more. I think it would make a great DVD extra.....

What would you like to know? The usually come out Mayim, Melissa, Kunal, Simon, Kaley, Jim, and Johnny. 

• Like 1

They did more than just sleep.  It was still a sexual encounter even though they didn't have full-on sex.  There was fooling around, nudity, and a happy ending (for him).  I think that counts as something.

It was something but it was also three years ago. The worst of it was it took place in Leonard's bedroom (when Penny's apartment is across the hall!) Very tacky. Considering nothing more happened in three years, Leonard forgave them and they have had lots of social interaction I don't think Emily will worry about it and I don't think the writers are thinking about it. Let's face it Raj does not have to drink just to talk to women now so he is actually very different.

Edited by djsurrey

Well intially when Amy complained about the date, and Sheldon was like "Well don't come then". That was not good, Sheldon you douche lol. I don't think you can justify Sheldon not being "sappy" because Leonard is and Sheldon is not that type of person. Being romantic is all relative and cirucumstancial, it doesen't come naturally to everyone. Difference is Leonard is being honest with Penny, I guess you could argue Sheldon is not inherently with Amy. Leonard and Sheldon are not all that different, Both socially awkward and inept. Difference is Leonard has far more experience in the relationship paradaigm then Sheldon. Sheldon maybe Sheldon, but being sappy or romantic, is not a personality trait, all it takes is a bit of honesty. Obviousley for Sheldon to function in a relationship with Amy, he needs guidelines and rules, hence the RA so he feels secure. So I like SRAM's analogy about Sheldon being in a bubble, that is so true. I also thought Sheldon was really arrogant to suggest his relationship is better then Lenny based on a test lol, but what's new status quo clearly has not changed in that regard. Lenny have been prooven to be the strongest couple on the show, I mean if they based their relationship on a silly test, then they woulden't of got past date one. But they have always had this unspoken bond, that needs no qualifying. They are both scared but I think what has always been endering about their relationship, is they meet on off chance, where is any other scenario neither of them would be caught dead together, and based on socities conventions and rules they have no buisness being together. I laughed at Penny's line "Our relationship has been based on your blind infaturation". That is so true. Leonard had been dating Penny since they meet, he was infaturated to he point he saw her as pefect. He no longer does, he see's her as imperfect, what makes it work is she is just as insecure, and scared about the future. And up ill now you haven't really seen Leonard talk about his fears, because obviousley he has wanted a future with Penny for years now. So I think it reassured Penny she is not alone. Funny if that was S3, Penny would of stormed off, and Leonard would of chickened out and let her. Where as now Leonard challenges her, and has the confidence to challenge her to be honest.  

-Leonard and Sheldon are really different. Sheldon never shows his feelings. Leonard is inclined to do so often. Also Penny told to him in The Proton Transmigration "Thank you for being the emotional one in the relationship"!

-No couple is stronger than other one. Lenny and Shamy have different relationships on several levels. Compare them is pointless. It would be like comparing a shoe and a shirt. What are the parameters you use to say that one is better?! The only thing you can say is that both are clothings.

I personally love both couples because of the differences. Paraphrasing Michy, Shamy has something Lenny don't and vice versa.

I think Lenny is the most credible relationship on the show. As you said, it began with a Leonard's infatuation that made Penny perfect to his eyes. But it has evolved. The flaws have emerged, together with ups and downs.

[Digression: I always pictured their relationship as a rubber band: first in a quiescent state, then stretched on both extremities, therefore more distant. When the tension becomes unbearable, before getting at the break point, the tension drops and inevitably the two extremities come back close.]

Many small things achieved during the years. Imperfections accepted, shared love, engagement. There are in a safe place now.

In the episode seems like they can face their weaknesses and smile at that. Touching!

Shamy instead is the most in-credible couple. They are out of the usual social dynamics. They live in a own dimension, where the measures are relative. Something visible only under a microscope, with magic Shamy's glasses has unprecedented proportions.

In their dimension there are rules to share and the word intimacy takes on a new meaning. The time passes slowly, the movements are imperceptible. But if you are able to go into their fantastic world, you can see the progression that get Sheldon to take a fry from Amy's plate. And you can exult for that.

I'm exulting for that and for the sync seems to be between them.

But I'm not happy about the "Trust me. You're happy" line. I agree with Michy.

I'm fed up with the same dynamic of "two steps forward and one step back".

Also, I'm sorry about my little Howie. I'd would like to see him be able to throw the damn ball! :)

RANDOM:

Thanx Michy, Kazzie and BBTGUY for report and news.

Tensor, you rock!

Sorry for mistakes, I'm still struggling with English!

• Like 7

It was something but it was also three years ago. The worst of it was it took place in Leonard's bedroom (when Penny's apartment is across the hall!) Very tacky. Considering nothing more happened in three years, Leonard forgave them and they have had lots of social interaction I don't think Emily will worry about it and I don't think the writers are thinking about it. Let's face it Raj does not have to drink just to talk to women now so he is actually very different.

I fully agree.  I wasn't commenting one way or the other about whether it was right, wrong, or just insensitive, or whether it is significant now.  Someone asked if Leonard found out that basically all they did was sleep, and I was merely disagreeing with the premise of the statement.

• Like 1

I fully agree.  I wasn't commenting one way or the other about whether it was right, wrong, or just insensitive, or whether it is significant now.  Someone asked if Leonard found out that basically all they did was sleep, and I was merely disagreeing with the premise of the statement.

Well, that was all they did do, after Raj got done with that other thing...  ;)

No one knows for sure how far they went, or the parameters. All we know is "Oh God!". It was a combination of one bad year for Penny Personally and Career wise , mix it with Alcahol and a desperate Raj not so surprising. Techniquley they did nothing wrong, as one they were both single and clearly not in a lucid state, and obviousley their was no consimation. But theirs a thing called the bro code, Penny of today would obviousley not put herself in that posistion but alas that was then this is now. Besides it was all a plot device to a storyline. Leonard not knowing either way is elementary, as he got over it pretty fast. Worst part of it was in Leonards bedroom, if it was at Pennys it wldnt be a big deal, actually the fact it happened at all well always be a raw point for fans, they shouldent of gone their at all imo. It also made me think less of Raj the fact he had full recollection Penny diddnt, he clearly does not own a Brocode Guidelines Handbook. Someone call Barney Stinson :p, actually he was no better. It was almost four years ago it made no significant impact at all. So no i dont think if Emily stays, she wld be bothered by Raj getting to Third Base Four Years ago, unless shes a prude.

Edited by 3ku11

No one knows for sure how far they went, or the parameters.

They were naked.  The pan up to them in bed showed their clothes on the floor and on the bed.  So they couldn't be on them.   

All we know is "Oh God!". It was a combination of one bad year for Penny Personally and Career wise , mix it with Alcahol and a desperate Raj not so surprising.

Interestingly to me is why does Penny smile when she realizes where she is, but not who she is with? Considering her feelings on cheaters? 

Techniquley they did nothing wrong, as one they were both single and clearly not in a lucid state,

I agree with the doing nothing wrong, but it had everything to do with them being single, and nothing with them being lucid.

and obviousley their was no consimation.

There was intent on both their parts, one had an orgasm(and it's always the man, huh ladies?) when they were naked together.  Sorry, that would be an infidelity in any partners book, consummation or no.

But theirs a thing called the bro code, Penny of today would obviousley not put herself in that posistion but alas that was then this is now.

Bro code?  What, are you living in the fifties?  The Bro Code is nothing more than a misogynistic device to keep a former girlfriend from dating who men don't want them to date, due to feelings of embarrassment, humiliation, etc. As for doing it in Leonard's bed, Sheldon had paperwork saying it was Raj's bed. Not to mention Leonard gave his blessing to Raj as far as bringing girls over (although I don't think Leonard saw who that would be).

Also, if you want to invoke the bro code, then why aren't you complaining about Leonard doing Raj's sister, someone Raj objected to (and part of the "Bro Code")in Raj's bed? You can look like you're from the middle ages all you want to be by invoking the Bro Code, but if you are invoking it on Raj, for sleeping with Penny, then you have to invoke it on Leonard, for sleeping with Priya.

As everyone knows, I'm a huge Lenny fan, but as bad as a lot of people thought the Raj/Penny thing was bad, they were both single, it was then Raj's room, they were two consenting adults, they could do what they wanted to do. If you're invoking the Bro Code on Raj, you better pick apart Leonard's several violations of it. To do otherwise is simply not intellectually honest.

• Like 3

Also another note I think I totally forgot to mention. Mayim was hot in that first scene. Smoking hot. Girl was looking good.

tumblr_inline_nbevsxuTas1qg7mct.gif

Like so hot... I still need a moment.

Edited by kazzie
  • Like 9

@michygeary, thank you for the report and your articulate explanation of your concerns. I keep using the word "vexed" in regards to Sheldon and Shamy. There is not going to be lots of satisfaction to be had. Its almost like homeopathy, the effective agent being diluted beyond detection.

Edit. Sorry for truncated post.

Its going to be a bumpy ride. One either buckles up for the crests and troughs or just follows the trendline. I'd find it hard. Its too difficult for me to discern where the fun is. And sometimes if it looks like a duck etc.

The remuneration issue would unsettle me. But be hopeful. Have fun. Don't let the bastards grind you down. I've had weeks of therapy now and I'm fine (and full of chardonnay). I can't recommend it enough. The show is supposed to be funny. That's a big thing to watch for.

Cheers.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 4

@Michy thank you for sharing your thoughts it was a cool analysis.

I wasn't bothered by the "trust me you're happy line" but I will take your opinion into account just like I did with Kazzie when she said she was bothered by the line in the Shamy thread.

Now I really hate the "slick huh" moment and I will wait to see the vibe of the scene before I decide whether I dislike it or not. It's just that for some time we discuss about whether Amy truly wants conventional romance or not and that kinda seems to adress the issue. I didn't take it as Sheldon trying to tell her how she feels but him trying to tell her that he knows how she feels maybe even better than she does at that point. But it makes the gap on the way they process romance evident. And it's like a start to slowly solve the problem. I think for some time now that also Amy needs to grow up and maybe Sheldon is gonna help her with that. But I am not gonna take it for granted I am careful in order not to be disappointed. And keeping in mind that you also thought the slick comment with that moment.

I don't mind so much that Shamy was there to make a point about Lenny. It was about time we had a Lenny episode.

• Like 5

I don't mind so much that Shamy was there to make a point about Lenny. It was about time we had a Lenny episode.

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with it. I love Leonard/Penny and have shipped them from the beginning. I wasn't bummed about that. I was just bummed that Sheldon and Amy, independent of the Lenny stuff, had a moment of regression right at the end. At least to me. I'm fine if Sheldon and Amy don't go forward in any one particular episode or storyline. I just don't want them to go back. But I get why others don't see it the same way and I can respect that. I'm glad that people are happy about it. I just wish I could be too. x D 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with it. I love Leonard/Penny and have shipped them from the beginning. I wasn't bummed about that. I was just bummed that Sheldon and Amy, independent of the Lenny stuff, had a moment of regression right at the end. At least to me. I'm fine if Sheldon and Amy don't go forward in any one particular episode or storyline. I just don't want them to go back. But I get why others don't see it the same way and I can respect that. I'm glad that people are happy about it. I just wish I could be too. x D 

I know and I agree tbh. That last part of my comment wasn't referring to you.It should be clearer sorry!!! Yeah they tend to do that forward/backward thing and it can be really tiring. And it's usually (emphasis on usually) on Amy's expense so I would be glad if they let that one go.

• Like 1

As another person who was at the taping, I thought I'd share my opinion on that last line from Sheldon which is very controversial at the moment.

When I initially heard it, I was kind of in the same boat at Kazzie. I wasn't as infuriated by it, just more slightly irked. I was in no way expecting him to get all heartfelt and romantic based on Amy's wish for him to be, but I did feel they could have chose something better than that line to use.

Do I think this makes Sheldon the same asshole has before and Amy the "doormat" she is often described as, no I don't. While things didn't completely 360 for Sheldon since the end of last season, from seeing eps 2 & 3 I personally did notice a more mature air about him. He still has his tendencies sure and I don't expect the writers to get rid of then ever, but a lot of his interpersonal interactions this season just seemed different in a good way so far this season.

I thought the two couples comparing their relationships was perfect because it gave both an opportunity to shine. They are both very proud of their respective relationships which I really enjoyed seeing.

Personally I don't think any ship should be disappointed by this episode. It was objectively very good on all fronts.

I totally agree with this.. we know that Sheldon must still grow but this growth must be gradual.. at the end the main point is the run, to the destination Sheldon and Amy will surely arrive  :)

Edited by Shamyyy^-^
  • Like 1

Interestingly to me is why does Penny smile when she realizes where she is, but not who she is with? Considering her feelings on cheaters? .

I would like to believe that she realized she was in Leonard's bed and she thought it was maybe Leonard in bed with her for a moment, that is why she smiled. She did seem to be missing him and wanting him that night, so the immediate thought of being in his bed in the morning must have been comforting to her. If that was really the case, I don't think anyone would have been real hard on Leonard and Penny cheating.

• Like 1