The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes - Season 8

Starting the Season 8 Shipping Lanes thread.  This is the only thread  where members can debate the merits of different ships civilly.  

• Like 1

Starting the Season 8 Shipping Lanes thread. This is the only thread where members can debate the merits of different ships civilly.

Ok...so for uncivil shipping debate we'll stick to the other threads? :)

I'm joking, I'm joking! (I cope with adversity thru humour). In all seriousness, thanks for opening this here so those wanting to keep the S8 threads about S8 can do so! And those wanting to debate--have at it!

• Like 6

Where's skulk

Would of thought he would be over here filling the thread with exactly why Lenny are better than everything...

Lol

Where's skulk

Would of thought he would be over here filling the thread with exactly why Lenny are better than everything...

But they are, if you look at the whole original purpose of the show was them interacting. Since when has the Alpha relationship not been the best of any TV show or movie. So let the anti comments begin.

• Like 1

But they are, if you look at the whole original purpose of the show was them interacting. Since when has the Alpha relationship not been the best of any TV show or movie. So let the anti comments begin.

Original purpose and intent sure, I'll give you that one. Is that still the case? Nope. Lenny is more or less figured out at this point, no real drama left so they've become stale interest wise. I know Lenny shippers still have a vested interest in all the minutia of their domestic lives (yep I do read the Lenny threads so I know the dominant hopes you all have for what you want to see on-screen). But no offence, focusing the show on showing that minutia would shift this from quirky comedy to bland rom-com at best. And that's not the essence of the show. Would I tune in for that show? Hell no cause I signed up for a show about socially awkward weirdos navigating their way through life. Maybe that's why Shamy grabs me more...cause they still have that weirdness. At the same time, do I want all Shamy all the time? Nope cause there is such a thing as too much weird.
  • Like 6

Original purpose and intent sure, I'll give you that one. Is that still the case? Nope. Lenny is more or less figured out at this point, no real drama left so they've become stale interest wise. I know Lenny shippers still have a vested interest in all the minutia of their domestic lives (yep I do read the Lenny threads so I know the dominant hopes you all have for what you want to see on-screen). But no offence, focusing the show on showing that minutia would shift this from quirky comedy to bland rom-com at best. And that's not the essence of the show. Would I tune in for that show? Hell no cause I signed up for a show about socially awkward weirdos navigating their way through life. Maybe that's why Shamy grabs me more...cause they still have that weirdness. At the same time, do I want all Shamy all the time? Nope cause there is such a thing as too much weird.

I can't agree with you because Kaley and Johnny just got huge salaries per episode so I doubt that Lenny is being put on the back burner or Johnny and Kaley are going to be just support actors for Jim. They were, are and will be the primary couple of the show. If you seriously think the other relationships are somehow going to equal or surpass the Lenny relationship you just have to look at what the other two female regulars are being paid to set your mind straight.

Rach just cant get enough of me huh, even when im offline wheres Skull? Haha. Based on that logic Rach you should be here telling everyone how Shamy are so much better then everyone else ;).I mean your alot more vocal about it. Ive never said for the record Lenny are better then anyone else, better at what, make out sessions lol then yeah they are better haha. As for Lenny being marginlized, well just because they have entered endgame phase early does not mean they are a stale rom com relationship. I have never seen any aspect of the show as rom com, even now its become more relationship driven.

Its still about four nerdy guys, its just they all have girlfriends now, even Sheldon. So obviousley the experiement of a hot girl on four eggheads has ended. Shamy are like male and female equuvalent of each other, where as Lenny bring a bit more normality as you could argue Leonard aint as nerdy as the other three, and is a mackdaddy compared to the other three, the "cool" one. And Penny is clearly the archtypical blonde, sporty, outgoing etc. So clearly they all bring those universal traits to their relationship. Where like some said Shamy are unique as they arw both weirdos, i say that in the most affectionate way. But when weird is too much you got a nice balance with Lenny. Obviousley theirs more potential for storyline with Shamy, simply because theirs tons of room for improvement. Where as Lenny well be mostly domestic. But i think alot of the focus too, well if Emily stays well be on Raj and Emily.

Edited by 3ku11

I can't agree with you because Kaley and Johnny just got huge salaries per episode so I doubt that Lenny is being put on the back burner or Johnny and Kaley are going to be just support actors for Jim. They were, are and will be the primary couple of the show. If you seriously think the other relationships are somehow going to equal or surpass the Lenny relationship you just have to look at what the other two female regulars are being paid to set your mind straight.

Salary is indicative of nothing more than seniority. It means squat when it comes to storytelling. And I don't think Lenny is doomed to become the second fiddle to Sheldon or Shamy. But do I think that the compelling storylines currently lie with Lenny or are likely to lie with Lenny in the future? Nope, sorry but I don't. There are far more compelling stories to tell with any and all of the other character combinations at this point than there are with Lenny. And one of those more compelling stories is Shamy and their progression, along with Raj in general, the Leonard and Sheldon dynamic (which is the true heart of the show I think), and to a lesser extent Howardette. You have to admit that with the agonisingly slow progression of Shamy, that there is a goldmine of comedic stories to tell that can easily fuel the next three seasons. What stories of comedic value really are left for Lenny that would make them so dominantly important that the writers should drop everything and focus solely on them? Look, I like Lenny too, even if my priority is Shamy, but you have to admit that with the show's stance on no babies, once Lenny is married off, the storylines will dwindle drastically cause this isn't a rom-com. Probably not as bad as what seems to have happened with Howardette (which I still weep over cause Simon and Melissa are brilliant and could do so much more but whatevs), but its bound to happen eventually. Fact of the matter is, the original premise of the show has evolved a lot in 7 years and though Lenny is totally end game, there are now other pairings, like Shamy which are at the very least equal in significance and importance to the show. Its not the Lenny show...its The Big Bang Theory.

But please, if you have any compelling reasons/arguements that would help clarify why I should change my mind, I am more than willing to listen. As a pround INTJ, there's nothing I like more than a good analytical arguement :)

And apologies for any typos but I'm currently polishing off a really good bottle of red wine and well, I stop caring about typos when i'm tipsy ;p

• Like 2

Well its not the Shamy show either its The Big Bang Theory lol. As for Lenny they are still endgame, but they have evolved so much over the past seven seasons. Storyline wise theirs more potential partic comedic potential with Shamy. I do agree re Howardette Simon and Mellisa could be so much better. Thats not to say Leonard and Penny well be marginilized. Individually as characters theirs still potential. They could deal with family and career related issues, and bring It back to their relationship. They could also do a remissence montage ep, through Pennys new haircut, could do lime kiss scene again. What Lenny have even now is that genuine friendship and physical chemistry, even now that could be explored this season. Just because the initial premise has evolved and changed clearly with other couples, and every story line exhausted. Does not mean Lenny or anyone really needs to dwindle, or turn into a rom com. But even if it does, is it really that bad? Big Bang has always been relationship driven, just more so now as their are more couples.

Not saying Big Bangs a rom com, because tradationally its not. But because this show is known for geek culture, and the premise being four physicists and the hot girl experiement. Theirs a misconception imo, that the geekiness outweighs the relationship components of the show, which was always their it was just less subtle. It was really the show about four eggheads becoming socially aware. And human and relationship construct. So 4-7 is not surprising. You only have to look at Monica and Chandler my all time fav couple from any tv show ever. Even when they got married they were still the most interesting couple on the show, they put many challenges and hurdles ahead of them, storylines never dwindled for them. If writers were smart they would take a page out of Friends book and make it unqiue to Big Bang.

Edited by 3ku11

If salary is based on seniority Kunal and Simon should be the same. Ashton Kutcher came to TAAHM and got more money than Jon Cryer. just like sports you are paid based on your importance. the sole purpose of Shamy was to bring female viewers to the show. if you think differently your only kidding yourself. I'm sure there will be many story lines with all the couples involved and even more individual stories. Sheldon is going to be involved in more stories but that really has nothing to do with Amy. the dilemma with Shamy is that the snails pace is so boring but if they have sex that is sort of end game. for now it appears that Penny's and Sheldon's jobs are I what's on tap for now. Raj's relationship which am sure will be discussed and Howdette's marriage which will be discussed will never outshine Shamy or Lenny. while you may be right about the original premise has changed Lenny IMO will always be the number one couple to the true fans of the show from episode 1 on. You mentioned that you got into the Shamy because they were"weirdos" but IMO some of us just think theiir a freak show.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

I don't think that the reason that gave Sheldon a girlfriend was to bring more women to the show.  I think that might have been a happy accident, byproduct of it, however.  A lot of women like the idea of romance and I don't think before they put Sheldon in a romantic relationship that he was the poster child for that.  And it's not like having Sheldon be in a relationship with Amy was set from the very beginning.  If I remember correctly they weren't sure how long the relationship was gonna last, if even past the first episode of Amy's appearance.  

BTW, you're not anymore of a true fan from day one, episode one just because you are a fan of Lenny and not Shamy.  I really don't understand what a lot of Lenny fans seem to have against Shamy fans.  It has been one of the things I have found so strange since I joined this board.

• Like 5

Dont want to start an argument, but i have seen no attack personally againgst Shamy or Lenny fans. Most of it has been towards the relationship component of the show, its just vicarousley by association Shamy fans or Lenny get ******** just an observation. So anyone who likes Shamy, Lenny etc. Cant really play the victim as its two sided.

I agree to a certain extent Amy was brought into bring the female audience. As their were alot of Female Sheldon fans to begin with, and the female demographic seem to be more into the relationship side of the show then guys. But Big Bang has such a broad auidence, thats generalizing things a bit. Their are several male Shamy fans, aye Chiany lol. But i do agree because Shamy is set at such a slow pace, to me its not very compelling, but like Ten said it depends on your definition of compelling. As a guy i invested in the character of Leonard, then Lenny in s3 because i could relate to the nerdy guy pining after the hot girl next door, but thats just me. So i kinda agree when Shamy have coitus it well be end game, but considering how slow paced the show is and how Shamy have been at glacier speed, i can see them dragging it out through out the next three seasons. But i guess the question is how well ppl's lvl of investment fair after waiting for progress for so long.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

I can tell you I loved the show from day 1. I still remember seeing it at the CBS upfronts and was blown away. It was cute and quirky.

That being said I do not think the Amy character was brought on to increase female viewership. The show always had a fair mix of male and female viewers. In fact it's always ranked high for its equal skew for different demos (young/old and male/female). It was never more male skewing (say like a Brooklyn 9-9 that is off balance by 75/25 male/female hence moving it to Sunday nights).

I think introducing Sheldon to dating/relationships was hinted in season 2-3. The writers knew curiosity was out there.

I am just completely fascinated with the Shamy relationship. It's cute, innocent, different.... Like nothing I have ever seen before on tv. This does not mean Lenny is generic, but it's more the standard boy meets girl story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 3

Thats the beauty of opinions, i dont see Shamy as unique, its just the two ppl in the relationship happen to be bringing their unique characteristics to the relationship. Techniquley though Shamy is boy meets girl haha. For the record Shamy are not a precedence, their have been couples like Shamy well before Shamy. In Cheers i was watching over here one night, Fraiser and some chick, i thought were so Shamy. They demonatrated every single trait, characteristic, behaviour, personality trait etc. That Shamy do. So Shamy are one of the most unique couples on tv ever but not the first. I still think Monica and Chandler are the most uniqiue and best couple on tv ever, and you could argue set the precedence for that type of relationship. I do agree compared to Shamy Lenny are standard. But then again compare to another couple seeing premise is still nerd gets girl, its unique in its own way.

If salary is based on seniority Kunal and Simon should be the same. Ashton Kutcher came to TAAHM and got more money than Jon Cryer. just like sports you are paid based on your importance. the sole purpose of Shamy was to bring female viewers to the show. if you think differently your only kidding yourself. I'm sure there will be many story lines with all the couples involved and even more individual stories. Sheldon is going to be involved in more stories but that really has nothing to do with Amy. the dilemma with Shamy is that the snails pace is so boring but if they have sex that is sort of end game. for now it appears that Penny's and Sheldon's jobs are I what's on tap for now. Raj's relationship which am sure will be discussed and Howdette's marriage which will be discussed will never outshine Shamy or Lenny. while you may be right about the original premise has changed Lenny IMO will always be the number one couple to the true fans of the show from episode 1 on. You mentioned that you got into the Shamy because they were"weirdos" but IMO some of us just think theiir a freak show.

So because I don't ship Lenny I'm not a true fan? Is that supposed to be my understanding of your point here? You know, at least with Tensor, his rebuttal of my argument was well intentioned, well thought out and respectful. I love the show as a whole and would not remove ANY of the characters or components of the show and I was watching it since the beginning (aka before Shamy). Isn't that the actual defining criteria of a true fan? Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 1

So because I don't ship Lenny I'm not a true fan? Is that supposed to be my understanding of your point here? You know, at least with Tensor, his rebuttal of my argument was well intentioned, well thought out and respectful. I love the show as a whole and would not remove ANY of the characters or components of the show and I was watching it since the beginning (aka before Shamy). Isn't that the actual defining criteria of a true fan?

I think what Chrismo was trying to say is. Not that a true fan is defined by who they ship. But that the masses, mainstream media, or casual fans who are conciousley or unconciousley aware of the show. Know the show for the Sheldon and Penny dynamic, Leonard/Sheldon, and the Lenny relationship. Obviousley Shamy have become very popular since S4 to certain portions of the Big Bang audience. But its just a proportion of the audience . Its audience is so broad it skews to many demographics. End of day all the characters contribute to the show, and a true fan is realizing that were all on the same team lol. So how about a change of subject, and talk about the positives each ships individually and collectively bring to the show.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

You know, at least with Tensor, his rebuttal of my argument was well intentioned, well thought out and respectful.

My apologies, I will make the changes needed so that is corrected in my next post. :p

• Like 3

My apologies, I will make the changes needed so that is corrected in my next post. :p

Lol that's more like it, I mean sheesh if you're going to label yourself as a PITA I expect PITA behaviour *lol*

BTW, you're not anymore of a true fan from day one, episode one just because you are a fan of Lenny and not Shamy.  I really don't understand what a lot of Lenny fans seem to have against Shamy fans.  It has been one of the things I have found so strange since I joined this board.

Because Sheldon always seems to get in the way of Lenny moments. An example is at the airport when Leonard was going to the North Sea. Was Sheldon's presence there necessary? Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if H/B had interrupted the SIK on the train? I think Lenny fans would have felt bad about the SIK moment being interrupted but did Shamy fans agree that Sheldon shouldn't have been at the airport?

• Like 2

Because Sheldon always seems to get in the way of Lenny moments. An example is at the airport when Leonard was going to the North Sea. Was Sheldon's presence there necessary? Could you imagine the uproar on this forum if H/B had interrupted the SIK on the train? I think Lenny fans would have felt bad about the SIK moment being interrupted but did Shamy fans agree that Sheldon shouldn't have been at the airport?

I'm a Shamy fan (a Lenny fan too but more of a Shamy) and yes, I agree Sheldon didn't need to be there. For once I would love for the writers to add just a little bit of tender moments over a good laugh. And that would've been keeping Sheldon's selfish ass at home during that scene!!

• Like 3

Dont want to start an argument, but i have seen no attack personally againgst Shamy or Lenny fans. Most of it has been towards the relationship component of the show, its just vicarousley by association Shamy fans or Lenny get ******** just an observation. So anyone who likes Shamy, Lenny etc. Cant really play the victim as its two sided.

I agree to a certain extent Amy was brought into bring the female audience. As their were alot of Female Sheldon fans to begin with, and the female demographic seem to be more into the relationship side of the show then guys. But Big Bang has such a broad auidence, thats generalizing things a bit. Their are several male Shamy fans, aye Chiany lol. But i do agree because Shamy is set at such a slow pace, to me its not very compelling, but like Ten said it depends on your definition of compelling. As a guy i invested in the character of Leonard, then Lenny in s3 because i could relate to the nerdy guy pining after the hot girl next door, but thats just me. So i kinda agree when Shamy have coitus it well be end game, but considering how slow paced the show is and how Shamy have been at glacier speed, i can see them dragging it out through out the next three seasons. But i guess the question is how well ppl's lvl of investment fair after waiting for progress for so long.

I do think the relationship part of the show may be more with the women but in regards mostly to Shamy. I thinks guys do relate more to the hot girl nerdy guy relationship part of the story and that relates to Lenny. IMO the Shamy are meant for each other since no other woman would ever put up with Sheldon. So their story at least to me is sort of boring. I know I will get the hate by saying and I have said it before  this but a Shamy break up would bring some excitement to their relationship. With the ups and downs of the Lenny they should be end game but a lot of us will wait till it really is. In some ways it should of been end game already.