Penny ~ Leonard relationship is bunch of ****

kaj1n3k

Would Penny~Leonard relationship work in real life?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would Penny~Leonard relationship work in real life?

• Yes
    • No

Ok. I know this is a tv show. I know this is not real life. But we ususaly likes tv shows becouse it is mirror of real life stories.

To the point. I see no single reason why Penny should stay with Leonard, in terms of attrations. He has all the beta male characteristics, he is needy, he is seeking for approval, he has no willpower. I can't imagine hot blonde surrounded by cool guys going out with this looser. Even in the show, there's no suggestion why Penny did choose him. All we saw was Penny out of the blue making out with leonard. Episode after episode, all we see are reasons why Penny should not be with Leonard, but there's not single one that suggest she would love him for something.

I am not a huge, obsessed fan of tv shows nor BBT, i know they are not based on logic - usualy - but this really hit me in the eye.

Any suggestion?

I don't usually watch TV shows, especially sit coms, but I adore TBBT and I got addicted to it, because it's fun, the actors are great and becasue I can relate a little bit to each character in a way.

I am a huge supporter of the Penny - Leonard relationship and I think it really could work, for many reasons.

First of all, Penny is not your average empty minded, party goer. She looks like this at first, but her character evolves a lot as the show goes on and we get to know her better.

She's a sweet, smart girl that needs much more that the "alpha male" you described.

Leonard might not be physically strong and he certainly is needy, but he is also sweet, intelligent, understanding and ready to do anything to make her happy.

I wouldn't say he doesn't have willpower, as he puts himself in many difficult situations to help Penny.

Also, I don't think that there's no clue of why Penny decided to go out with Leonard: we see her realising, episode after episode, that he has all the qualities that her previous boyfriend don't have. It's clear in the show how she starts to consider him thanks to his intelligence and sweetness and that she starts to have a soft spot for him.

I see this relationship as possible and working well: Penny's presence would help Leonard with his sometimes poor social skills, while Leonard will help Penny being less influenced by the superficial people she surrounds herself with.

I also really like the Penny Leonard relationship, they are really sweet together! Penny realised that Leonard is way much better than those ''Alpha Male'' you speak of. He's more intelligent, sweet, caring and honest than all the guys Penny been with before.

Then again, would it work in real life? Maybe not, but not because of what you said, but really the opposite! Remember the first episode of second season, in which Penny builded up some insecurity about dating a smart guy? She was afraind he'd be bored with her after a while. I think indeed that would be a problem! She'd to build up some geekiness before being ''worthy'' of Leonard! Althought she did build some while hanging with the guys, so to me that makes this relationship working correctly!

Well,

I really like the characters of Leonard and Penny,

BUT

I haven't seen why EITHER of them is attracted to the other one.

Penny works as the neighbour, but as a girlfriend for Leonard? What does she offer besides her looks and being sweet - she shares none of his interests?! We've seen they enjoy having sex, but what else?? In real life, I think Leonard would be much better of with a girlfriend from his university, somebody with similar intellect and interests...

Nevertheless,

As for your comment on Leonard being the beta-male and a loser - although I'd wish he had more self confidence cos he has every reason to have it, I wouldn't call him a loser at all, he's stood up for things he believed in in the past, he's smart, he's caring.

Who in this world wants what you call alpha-male - the tall-muscular-handsome-macho-jerks (â„¢Irvine)??? *The horror*

I am a great fand of the Penny/Leonard Realtionship.

And I really don't see why everyone seems to think Leonard and Penny are not the same Level of attraction.

He's just dressed in geeky shirts (and as a girl I can't say I havn't notices that what's underneath it doesn't seem to be as skinny and untrained as you would expect from a genius physicist ;)) and wears these thickly rimmed glasses...

I think Johnny Gaelecki ist pretty cute and they can't hide it all under his leonard-costume.

And I'm very short, so I can overlook the fact that he isn't tall either. ;))

Also, you're right, FemaleNerd: No macho-alpha-male for me either, thanks.

I do however think, that kaj1n3k has a point in saying that Penny and Leonard share no interests. But askig this question, you could also wonder why she's been hanging around with the guys so much in the first place?

I do however think, that kaj1n3k has a point in saying that Penny and Leonard share no interests. But askig this question, you could also wonder why she's been hanging around with the guys so much in the first place?

Actually, this is a point I wanna give to Penny in this show! Althought she doesn't really belong in the group, she managed to get included in it and enjoy their geekiness! She's more open-minded than the average hot-normal girl. I guess that's why she might work with Leonard!

But I agree with FemaleNerd that a more scientific/geeky/nerdy/gaming/fantasy-novel reading/etc. girl would be more fiting for Leonard! He'd had more fun with such a girl!

My guess would be that both are learning from each other's world, and that's why it still works.

Penny works as the neighbour, but as a girlfriend for Leonard? What does she offer besides her looks and being sweet - she shares none of his interests?! We've seen they enjoy having sex, but what else?? In real life, I think Leonard would be much better of with a girlfriend from his university, somebody with similar intellect and interests...

Well, Leonard's friends and interest are only university-oriented, so i can see he choose Penny, becouse she is nice(and hot) getaway to the "outer world". He really can forget about all the science stuff(although he has difficulties with it, as shown in episodes) when he's with her, and enjoy the mindless moments(in positive meaning).

I really don't view alpha male as tall, muscular man, lol. But i view him as a man with strong sense of reality, capable of snap decisions, living in abudance, and dont caring what oters think. Just watch some Sean Stephenson videos and you'll get the point. So alpha man does not mean douche, it means someone who a girl like Penny can be with, and feel like princess, becouse she subconciously/consciously knows everything will be alright, becouse a man like that can handle all situations that will occur.

Well, Leonard sometimes reveals the "man" side of him, and everytime he does i really appreciate it. But still, in their relationship, the one who looks(in terms of behaviour) like more manly is Penny. And that's why it would never work irl.

You know, analysing both of our arguments, I came to the conclusion that we're both right in some way, and also a little bit wrong. Let me explain!

You're right to say that, basically, Leonard is not really good enought for Penny.

I'm also right that, basically, Penny is not really good enought for Leonard.

Here's what I noticed: Even them, as characters, came to that conclusion before in the show! Leonard does feel somewhat insecure in himself toward his relationship with Penny, and Penny did express such insecurity before, too. I guess we saw it most with Leonard, but the first episode of second season, along with the Christmas episode, point that out!

HOWEVER, and this is where we were both wrong IMO, in their case it still works, now that we're in season 3! After two years of friendship between the 4 geeks and the girl's next door, Penny learned to appreciate their geekiness. Leonard, on his side, is of 4 guys the most open to learning Penny's world (well... except maybe Howard, but he's another story! :p). They learned to appreciate each other's world, but still remaining in their own. That's why, in the end, I think this specific case works!

There is also some things significantly wrong about your analysis, when you state:

Well, Leonard's friends and interest are only university-oriented, so i can see he choose Penny, becouse she is nice(and hot) getaway to the "outer world". He really can forget about all the science stuff(although he has difficulties with it, as shown in episodes) when he's with her, and enjoy the mindless moments(in positive meaning).

Here's the thing: We geek's interest ARE University-oriented and sci-fi/fantasy oriented and, overall, geeky-oriented! To a guy like Leonard, to ''forget about all the science stuff'' is actually a negative point in her relationship with Penny. Sure, he likes Penny's world, but that doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy his own world better, or else he wouldn't be in it in the first place!

Oh, and also, in the world of technologies and informations, guys like Leonard and Sheldon are the Alpha-Male! Haven't you seen S1's Halloween episode? ^_^

Also, Alpha male, in their accepted meaning, do represents the the tall-muscular-handsome-macho-jerks (â„¢myself) type of guys. Not that they don't have qualities (confidence, for exemple), but they lack major important ones that geeks like Leonard haves, such as intelligence, sweetness, care, self-awareness and honesty.

Now that I think of it, it's still the intelligent man (geek or not) that do represents the Alpha Male. The actual description of it would be the leaders of a group! In prehistoric time, yeah, that would be the strongest, confident man. Nowadays, it's the one with the most intelligence and ingeniosity that makes the best leaders.

Although I'm quite a Penny/Sheldon shipper or, as it was discussed earlier, a Jim/Kaley shipper, I do see the cuteness in the Penny-Leonard relationship. Plus, I think that Penny is a really beautiful character in the show because she clearly cares about these guys even though there is nothing geeky about her. And she is great with Leonard.

He's just dressed in geeky shirts (and as a girl I can't say I havn't notices that what's underneath it doesn't seem to be as skinny and untrained as you would expect from a genius physicist ;)) and wears these thickly rimmed glasses...

I think Johnny Gaelecki ist pretty cute and they can't hide it all under his leonard-costume.

And I'm very short, so I can overlook the fact that he isn't tall either. ;))

Hello, fellow Leonard/Johnny fangirl ;)

Nice to see I am not alone!:icon_cheesygrin:

Anyway, back to the original subject, I think that Penny is part of the group! She's not a scientist and she wasn't geeky at all when they met her, but she catched up pretty soon on some of the interests of "her" boys: Halo or paintball among other things.

(And I have to say, I am very happy of how her character evolved: I wouldn't have liked the show that much if she stayed as she was in the pilot).

I wouldn't say that Penny and Leonard are completely opposites, I think that they are opposites enpugh to attract each others, but that they really complete each other very well, and that their relationship can be part of their personal growth.

Oh, speaking about Penny catching up - one of my favourite scenes with her is when she's talking to the dead-h.ker-new-bee-queen about the guys and starts to explain the Star Trek shield. It's priceless. :D

I wouldn't say that Penny and Leonard are completely opposites, I think that they are opposites enpugh to attract each others, but that they really complete each other very well, and that their relationship can be part of their personal growth.

Besides that, I think you can never really predict if a relationship is going to work out just judging by the cahracters of the people involved. Characters can change because of the relationships or stay the same, or just one person changes. (Wow, what an incisive observation. :icon_frown::icon_cheesygrin:)

As well, it's a question ofhow you define a successfull relationship. They're still yound and we're probably many, many seasons from seeing them talk about marriage. ;) So, as long as they don't have to stay together their whole life, it can wok out without being perfect for each other.

And I still can't believe how much thought I'm giving to this TV show. Don't I have serious work to do? :icon_eek:

lol, when we enjoy a show, we can talk about it for hours, right? That's kinda why we're on this kind of forum!

That being said, I want to add something to this comment:

Besides that, I think you can never really predict if a relationship is going to work out just judging by the cahracters of the people involved. Characters can change because of the relationships or stay the same, or just one person changes. (Wow, what an incisive observation.)

That's very true, and no matter what happen with character's personality, in doesn't change their feeling. I find it funny that one would base feelings on personality. It's not about physical appearance, of course, but it's not personality either. It's just about how you feel, and how the other person makes you feel. If you're happy with this other person, even if this other person is a tall-muscular-handsome-macho-jerk (â„¢myself) or a tall-beautiful-sexy-closeminded-bitch (

â„¢myself again, and sorry for using the "b" word but couldn't find another one! :p), well, that's just how you feel!

As different and in "different worlds" as Leonard and Penny are, they are just happy together, and that's reason enought for them to work! :)

I like this thread, the intention of it seems to have been covered by the several replies that thinks and shows that penny and leonard do actually work, of course implying that the **** is a word that is to censored OOOR...that the title actually reads: "Penny ~ Leonard relationship is bunch of **** " (a bunch of four stars) hehehehehe yeeeah!!...not a 5 start relationship but 4 stars yes...and the replies and examples show it. :D

Not forgetting that when it comes to relationships, no matter if sides are of opposite worlds, universes, galaxies, blocks,backgrounds, etc etc etc whatever metaphore anyone wants to use, if the attraction exist between those two the effort to make it work is worth it, and any relationship has to pass through a development and growth.

So far, I do like what I'm seeing on the show very much, afterall, I'm a lenny shipper (that's what is called right?) and...I looove Kaley (not that any one would care its just that I like saying it lol)

I think that there is a lot of material to go with for this season and the next.

*meeting her friends: check

*meeting her relatives:________

*sleeping together: check (3rd time was the charm thanks to google)

*(ideas?)

I think Penny and Leonard has a lot of chance to be happy together obviously they need grown up as couple and forget their insecurities, in the real life is possible that can be , I mean Leonard isn't so nerd and Penny is not so stupid.

Other ideas

*Leonard being scaning for her Female Friends( women can be cruel):_____

*Penny in University Meeting :_______

*Leonard in a Discotheque dancing:_______

*Their relatives meeting each other:_______