The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-7 Episode Tournament

Tripper

Thanks Tripper. I agree none of those episodes are that bad, but then again I don't think any episode is that bad. They all just seem like forgettable episodes to me. I had to look some of them up because I couldn't remember what they were about. I'm happy all the episodes got at least 1 vote. The one I'm most surprised to see so low on the list is the Desperation Emanation because I love the Shamy story line in it, but I guess the other story line with Leonard and Joy is not a fan favorite.

I voted for Staircase, as much as Locomotive was a mile stone ep because of Shamy. Staircase is prob up their in top 5 of my all time fav Big  Bang eps, I think it is stronger as an ensemble then Locomotive, both strong eps though.

• Like 1

Well most likely because it probably possesses arguably the most famous scene in the shows history, Sheldon hugging Penny, then Penny looking back at Leonard and saying "Look Leonard Sheldon's hugging me". As for Leonard moping over Penny, he always did that haha, in this case though I don't think it had to do with Penny not dating him, but who she was dating. Penny said she didn't want to date Leonard because he is too smart for her, but DU was far more smarter (and better looking) then Leonard. So Leonard was more confused them moping, hence why he stormed in her apartment, so it lead to Penny realizing Leonard is not to smart for her, as DU turned out married.

Edited by 3ku11

I don't get why bath item is so great, it has one good scene, the rest is Leonard moping over penny dating a fellow scientist

Great scenes are always remembered, and because of that the entire episode usually wins over other episodes that might even be better overall.

That's why Locomotive will most likely win today's match up.

• Like 2

Great scenes are always remembered, and because of that the entire episode usually wins over other episodes that might even be better

Very true. You could say that Locomotion is one good scene, the rest is Amy moping because Sheldon is dating another train nut. She even yells at him, like Leonard yelled at Penny. Both couples made up, and Sheldon kisses Amy and Penny kisses Leonard(well, not on the lips). It was even a holiday episode in both cases.

• Like 1

I kind of agree with tensor here, Amy's whining and moping on the train was a little annoying, what did she expect Sheldon to do!

But the kiss was epic

Don't want to start a whole discussion about that episode, but I think Amy was justified to "whine" about his behaviour.

What would you do, if your boyfriend called you Gollum, and ignored you most of the time on Vday.

I don't get why bath item is so great, it has one good scene, the rest is Leonard moping over penny dating a fellow scientist

That is an exaggeration of the ratio of Leonard moping scenes to total scenes and saying there is only one good scene is stretching it a lot ( but all opinions allowed!).

In the three scenes ( out of eight) that any Leonard disappointment is evident, one is right at the end of a scene that begins with Leonard actually happily bonding with Dave until he sees Penny, one is putting on a brave face at the uni ( but yes showing his disappointment) and the last actual whiny moping on the couch while getting stirred by the guys. I don't count his final confrontation with Penny as moping behaviour - that was one of those early classic Lenny moments where a fight ends up in adorable togetherness. Hardly the rest of the episode!

Bath Item is my favourite all time episode for a number of reasons. I love episodes with extended scenes rather than chopping and changing from short skit to short skit. It allows for greater development of dialogue and comedic interaction between characters. The opening scene was one of those classic geek culture moments in the show with the boys having an hilarious, extensive argument about Superman sweat! Great dialogue. I found the follow up interaction revolving around Dave Underhill's arrival funny as well, both in physical comedy and the change in Leonard's attitude. But then I like Leonard!

This is followed by more comedy gold that involved no Leonard moping - the Wii bowling, Sheldon's bagging out of Leonard for dumping the team for Dave, followed by his epic description of the problem of gift giving demands. Penny's reactions are priceless. I also found the shopping scene hilarious. As for what I assume you think is the one good scene, the Sheldon Penny hug- well yeah, one of the great moments of the show's seven years. The physical comedy of Jim in that scene is absolutely brilliant.

SO yeah, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I definitely see why Bath Item got 71.5% of the vote. Every scene was funny. Having said that, bad draw for Love Spell copping Bath as its round one opponent. That's a great episode as well. I love episodes when the whole ensemble are together. Would have gone far if it didn't have to compete with Bath Item. 

One thing I find interesting, and I said this earlier in this thread, is the large representation of Shenny centric episodes in this tournament. While like 99.95% of the members of this forum I find the romantic Shenny ship delusional and farcical, I must say I am very much a fan of the comedic Shenny coupling. And it would appear that many voters are of the same opinion. Bath and Adhesive are probably the two great Shenny moments but in the top 16 we also have Work Song ( Shenny teamwork), Piñata ( Shenny showdown), Scavenger ( Shenny team up), Pancake (Shenny bonding and caring). 6 out of 8 rounds have Shenny episodes competing. I just find it interesting that with such a focus on Shamy and Lenny in the Forum, its the Shenny dynamic that is so prevalent in this episode battle.

• Like 1

Staircase is not a Shenny episode, it is a Lenny episode predominantly, Leonard tells Penny the story about how he first met Sheldon, or maybe you guys are referring to another episode. Glad Staircase is winning, one of my fav Big Bang eps.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

Staircase is not a Shenny episode, it is a Lenny episode predominantly, Leonard tells Penny the story about how he first met Sheldon, or maybe you guys are referring to another episode. Glad Staircase is winning, one of my fav Big Bang eps.

Actually it's primarily a Leonard and Sheldon episode, as Leonard tells the story of how they met, while Penny is mostly listening and doing her nails :cheese: as much as I enjoyed the Shamy kiss in Locomotive, Staircase is one of my favorite overall shows in the series  - it's a good moment vs. episode contest

Edited by luke
  • Like 1

I was joking, of course it isn't a Shenny episode ;)

That is an exaggeration of the ratio of Leonard moping scenes to total scenes and saying there is only one good scene is stretching it a lot ( but all opinions allowed!).

In the three scenes ( out of eight) that any Leonard disappointment is evident, one is right at the end of a scene that begins with Leonard actually happily bonding with Dave until he sees Penny, one is putting on a brave face at the uni ( but yes showing his disappointment) and the last actual whiny moping on the couch while getting stirred by the guys. I don't count his final confrontation with Penny as moping behaviour - that was one of those early classic Lenny moments where a fight ends up in adorable togetherness. Hardly the rest of the episode!

Bath Item is my favourite all time episode for a number of reasons. I love episodes with extended scenes rather than chopping and changing from short skit to short skit. It allows for greater development of dialogue and comedic interaction between characters. The opening scene was one of those classic geek culture moments in the show with the boys having an hilarious, extensive argument about Superman sweat! Great dialogue. I found the follow up interaction revolving around Dave Underhill's arrival funny as well, both in physical comedy and the change in Leonard's attitude. But then I like Leonard!

This is followed by more comedy gold that involved no Leonard moping - the Wii bowling, Sheldon's bagging out of Leonard for dumping the team for Dave, followed by his epic description of the problem of gift giving demands. Penny's reactions are priceless. I also found the shopping scene hilarious. As for what I assume you think is the one good scene, the Sheldon Penny hug- well yeah, one of the great moments of the show's seven years. The physical comedy of Jim in that scene is absolutely brilliant.

SO yeah, everyone's entitled to their opinion but I definitely see why Bath Item got 71.5% of the vote. Every scene was funny. Having said that, bad draw for Love Spell copping Bath as its round one opponent. That's a great episode as well. I love episodes when the whole ensemble are together. Would have gone far if it didn't have to compete with Bath Item. 

One thing I find interesting, and I said this earlier in this thread, is the large representation of Shenny centric episodes in this tournament. While like 99.95% of the members of this forum I find the romantic Shenny ship delusional and farcical, I must say I am very much a fan of the comedic Shenny coupling. And it would appear that many voters are of the same opinion. Bath and Adhesive are probably the two great Shenny moments but in the top 16 we also have Work Song ( Shenny teamwork), Piñata ( Shenny showdown), Scavenger ( Shenny team up), Pancake (Shenny bonding and caring). 6 out of 8 rounds have Shenny episodes competing. I just find it interesting that with such a focus on Shamy and Lenny in the Forum, its the Shenny dynamic that is so prevalent in this episode battle.

I don't think the posters in the forums are representative of the fanbase as a whole. They represent the fevered fan as opposed to the casual viewer.

I don't think the posters in the forums are representative of the fanbase as a whole. They represent the fevered fan as opposed to the casual viewer.

Agreed but the tournament is on the same website as the forum and it's not like there are 1000s of votes being cast by Mr and Mrs Casual viewer.

Maybe it's like the US presidential election. Everyone has an opinion about it but half the people can't be bothered getting off their arses to go and vote!!

Still surprised Locomotive lost. Thought the Shamy Campaign office would have mobilized the voters to ensure victory for the SIK

Edited by Itwasdestined

You're quite correct on this.    Somewhere last year I generously used 2000 members as posters on the forums (both here and at Fan Forum).   It's probably closer to 500 active posters, including CBS's TBBT forum.  500 out of 20 million viewers is nothing (it works out to about one-one hundredth  of one per cent.   (.01%)).  The difference is that the 500 is quite a bit more vocal than the the other 19,999,500 causal viewers.   

• Like 1