The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-7 Episode Tournament

Continue to be fascinated by the results of this. Scavenger is still the only post Season 3 episode through to round 2. Piñata already building a handy lead over 43 and Status quo is last chance next match. Not a Shamy (or a Lenny) to be seen. The purists must have mobilised their forces? Is the forum just a vocal minority? Or are the best laugh out loud episodes actually from the early years?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a look at the voting so far:   So far 154/159 episodes have been nominated at least once.

Great scenes are always remembered, and because of that the entire episode usually wins over other episodes that might even be better overall.   That's why Locomotive will most likely win today's ma

Wow that was hard, I mean it made me realize the consistent quality over the years of Big Bang. Other shows it would be a struggle to even name 16 quality episodes, with Big Bang its hard to name 16 b

Posted Images

Penny wasent wrong Sheldon was, he was being unreasonsble. Penny shouldent be held accountable, for Sheldons stupid food rules, no normal person would.

Well that depends. Surprisingly I was with Sheldon in that one. I think people should absolutely always ask before they touch other people's food.

About the tournament. I think most of the people watch the show because it's funny not about the romance tho it's one of the biggest aspects of it. I think the funniest will always beat the best couple episodes. I don't know how this will turn out or if from now on people will be more interested about the romance of course. It could happen I just don't think so

• Like 1

Penny wasent wrong Sheldon was, he was being unreasonsble. Penny shouldent be held accountable, for Sheldons stupid food rules, no normal person would.

It was in Sheldon's apartment and it was Sheldon's food. So either way, his rules applied. Ergo Penny was wrong.

Sheldon also gave her a chance to avoid the final strike, but she took a stand (while sitting down).

Even Leonard adviced her against it, but she was too stubborn to listen all of them.

• Like 1

Skull, occasionally you need to accept our lovely Penny makes mistakes ( yes that's only an opinion- free speech, free will, democracy etc etc
  • Like 2

Agree with the humour over relationship. What stands out for me about the winning episodes to date are how much they rely on the ensemble for humour as opposed to 'couples humour' (with The Scavenger Vortex being an exception at the beginning although I'd argue that the humorous parts occurred when the couples were separated and 'on their own' so to speak.).

There's a balance with characters taking turns as supporting and lead roles; for instance while Leonard has a lead in Bath Item and Staircase he plays a very effective supporting role in Panty Pinata (Johnny delivers my favorite line in the episode when Penny storms out of the room with her 'It's junior rodeo on!' and he gives that whiny 'Not the junior rodeo.' Cracks me up every time!). There's more interplay between the characters, even introducing new characters such as Mary Cooper and Dave Underhill as needed to keep the jokes flowing as opposed to being the joke themselves.  

What also works for me is that Howard and Raj's parts are stronger. They are awesome in Bath Item taking Sheldon to the mall, their hippy 'trip' in Adhesive Duck and (IMO) the show stealers in Panty Pinata as in syndication I find watching their plotting to find the next 'Mrs. Wolowitz' just gut-busting as they show the tenacity of Wile E Coyote's 'genius' at work. 

Scavenger Vortex is a throwback episode to the time when the writers took chances and mixed up characters to generate new punch lines and avenues of humour. I mean who would have thought Amy and Howard would get along as well as they did to the point that they ditched the scavenger hunt to spend more time together?

Thanksgiving Decoupling didn't work for me as the humour was couple-based and while the entire cast was there (even throwing in Zack) there wasn't a free-flow that was seen in Vortex and the other winning episodes. 

For me, the next round of voting will be difficult. This round has been a series of 'no-brainers'. 

• Like 2

You make good points, Gorilla. I think sometimes the roles Howard and Raj play in the comedy of the show is sold short. It is interesting that the winning episodes so far include some golden bromance moments. I like Bernadette but her introduction does water down the Howard/Raj dynamic that I enjoy in the earlier seasons ( I do so love their teamwork in find the top model house). And I've always loved the whole gang together episodes, not just for the interplay but because it makes for less plots to write for so the scenes just work better because there is less chop and change.

But the die is cast. The show is now about the relationships developing . Doesn't mean we can't have more eps with them all together, though.

Continue to be fascinated by the results of this. Scavenger is still the only post Season 3 episode through to round 2. Piñata already building a handy lead over 43 and Status quo is last chance next match. Not a Shamy (or a Lenny) to be seen. The purists must have mobilised their forces? Is the forum just a vocal minority? Or are the best laugh out loud episodes actually from the early years?

"The purists must have mobilised their forces?" - somewhat, but not to the point of dressing alike. :icon_wink:

"Is the forum just a vocal minority?" - I'd say yes. Most of the previous posters who disagreed with the direction the show has taken the past three seasons, (ie couples humor, emphasis on romantic relationships),  have either left and/or stopped posting. Unlike the posters who remain, I don't think most viewers really care whether Amy finally gets Sheldon to have sex with her or if everyone lives happily ever after in fictionland. They just want the show to be funny.

"Or are the best laugh out loud episodes actually from the early years?" - Yes. And it was a different type of humor then. It was fresh and unique. Much more LOL-centric than awwwww-centric. But almost all sitcoms have problems remaining fresh AND funny. TBBT is no different. .

• Like 1

I agre that the humour in 1-3 was alot more freah and unique early on, more laugh out loud too. But thats the case with all sitcoms. After so many years a show just cannot have the same impact it used too. The same jokes, situations, characterizations, storylines etc. While fresh and unique first three seasons. On that same logic would be stale in 4-7. So in a way the humor in 4-7 is also fresh and unique. The comedy early on was alot more geeeky and less relationship driven like it is now. It played off the friendship dynamics more, and the odd parings, like Sheldon and Penny were played off as Friends /Antagonists. Male and Female equivalent of Jerry and Kramer (altho Leonard would be Jerry overall ). Scavenger was an exception to the relationship based centric jokes, used thewhole ensemble. Because thats what it is now, used to feel like the odd couple or threes company lol. As for Panty, main issue with that, was yes Penny had been eating with them for two years but she clearly did not know about that one food rule or whistling, Leonard Just told her. And if you look back at previous eps, Leonard is the one who mediates and trys to interpret Sheldons quips, intracicies, incessant behaviour. And Pennys response was generally "oh ok shrugs ". She cleary diddnt think much of it, and seeing she doesent live with them and altho she was becoming less of an outsider and more of one of us, one of us haha. No one should expect her to know every single one of Sheldons rules. And even if She did thats no reason to kick her out when She whistled lol. Like i said Sheldon was being unreasonable, and wouldent even consider compromising, he was being a tyrant. So Penny was well in her rights to rage an all out war. This was an e.g. of Sheldon getting away with his behaviour because hes an innocent, and his friends let him get away with it. Pennys point to Leonard was you need to stand up for your self. He'll never change his behaviour if he thinks he can get away with it, thats all obviousley Sheldon has gotten gradually over better over the years. I voted for Work song over Status quo, one of my fav big bang eps.

No one should expect her to know every single one of Sheldons rules. And even if She did thats no reason to kick her out when She whistled lol. Like i said Sheldon was being unreasonable, and wouldent even consider compromising, he was being a tyrant. So Penny was well in her rights to rage an all out war. This was an e.g. of Sheldon getting away with his behaviour because hes an innocent, and his friends let him get away with it. Pennys point to Leonard was you need to stand up for your self. He'll never change his behaviour if he thinks he can get away with it, thats all obviousley Sheldon has gotten gradually over better over the years. I voted for Work song over Status quo, one of my fav big bang eps.

You really need to take of your "Penny can't do anything wrong" glasses ;)

• Like 2

Just noticed this tournament. Great idea. Glad to see Work Song Nanocluster with a first round win. Excellent episode. I'm not a big fan of either episode currently up for vote, but I foresee a blowout coming.

I voted for Bath item, prob still the shows most famous ep .

You really need to take of your "Penny can't do anything wrong" glasses ;)

well based on that logic you really need to take off your "Sheldon cant do anything wrong glasses ". Clearly their are tons of instances where Penny was wrong and has many flaws, as do all the characters. But defending Penny in this instance is not wearing tinted glasses, when theirs fact and evidence to back it up. Im sorry i find it hard how anyone could justify in this specific scene and ep, that Penny was wrong. Any normal person in the same circumstances would of reacted the way Penny did. Hanging out with a group of ppl for two years is one thing. But expecting to kno ones likes or dislikes even if it is Sheldon, and apart from the fact Penny clearly did not know about his food rule is unreasonable. Thats not being biast to Penny, I mean it was completly Pennys fault when she dated du she was being really hypcritical. Its just funny in this instance Sheldon was being unfair, but apparrently despite all corresponding evidence, i can never see when Pennys wrong lol thats logic for ya . Edited by 3ku11

I voted for Bath item, prob still the shows most famous ep .

well based on that logic you really need to take off your "Sheldon cant do anything wrong glasses ". Clearly their are tons of instances where Penny was wrong and has many flaws, as do all the characters. But defending Penny in this instance is not wearing tinted glasses, when theirs fact and evidence to back it up. Im sorry i find it hard how anyone could justify in this specific scene and ep, that Penny was wrong. Any normal person in the same circumstances would of reacted the way Penny did. Hanging out with a group of ppl for two years is one thing. But expecting to kno ones likes or dislikes even if it is Sheldon, and apart from the fact Penny clearly did not know about his food rule is unreasonable. Thats not being biast to Penny, I mean it was completly Pennys fault when she dated du she was being really hypcritical. Its just funny in this instance Sheldon was being unfair, but apparrently despite all corresponding evidence, i can never see when Pennys wrong lol thats logic for ya .

Which facts are you referring too?

Do you have proof to back up your claims? If so, please provide them.

• Like 1

Wow... Staircase was leading for most of the voting by anywhere between 20 to 30 votes. 

But Work Song came on strong at the end to pull it out, 267 - 252.

Edited by jayd

Whoops. There was a technical problem affecting voting for today's match. If you've been trying to vote for the Pancake Batter Anomaly, please try again now.

Voting was still at an early stage so will continue as normal now. It wouldn't be possible to nullify the votes already cast and let those people vote again, so all votes for the Scavenger Vortex so far still stand.

Wow Pancake just pipped Scavenger. Unfortunate as Scavenger is one of my fav Bbt eps . And it would have been good a 4-7 ep vs those 1-3 eps. Scavenger overall is way better then Pancake, although pancake is an early fav of mine.

So Seasons 1-3 rule the tournament. Traditional Big Bang ( sans the ratings success at the time) wins over super rating Seasons 4-7. The final four leaves us with Penny in Sheldon's bedroom rubbing vaporub on his chest, Sheldon dressing a naked Penny and later putting her to bed, Sheldon giving Penny a full scale, freely offered hug and Penny and Sheldon sitting side by side on her couch happily singing and working together. Barely a Lenny ( other than sharing lactose free egg nog and a cute moment or two in Bath Item) and Shamy nowhere to be seen. It's like ShennyHQ have permanently camped at the tournament address to prove their point! Of course does it prove anything? No more than the debates in Shipping Lanes about who is more important or popular. 400 people voting in an online poll vs 20 shippers arguing. But its still fun to see the results. The final four are all great episodes. Are they the best of all time? Enough said yes in the poll.

• Like 1

Bath Item has always been considered a Shenny ep for the famous hug. But storyline wise its predominantly Lenny. Most of Story A deals with Penny dating DU and seeing Leonards jealousy and pining after her, and moping, Story B deals with Sheldon trying to overcompensate for the gify Penny gave, for the gift giving convention. Story A culminates when Leonard storms into Pennys apt. Then when Sheldon hugging Penny, and Pennys like "Look Leonard Sheldons hugging me". So its a Leonard/Penny/Sheldon ep. Your right it doesent proove anything, Sheldon and Pennys comedic chemistry made the show the mega hit it is today, and of course Lenny. If anything it reflects the predominant Shenny centric eps, and the balance of Lenny. I agree these are prob the best eps.

The seedings for the "final four" based on votes received in the last round would be as follows:

#1  Bath Item Gift

#2  Work Song

#3  Adhesive Duck

#4  Pancake Batter

Voted for Work Song over Bath Item which as expected is dominating. Bath item is known for a big moment Sheldon hugging Penny, and of course Penny saying "Look Leonard Sheldons hugging me" haha which had more to do with Leonard and Pennys surprise then anything. But work song is not centric anyone, it starts with Penny making her petals, then Sheldon joins in, then Leonard, Raj, Howard join in. So its an ensemble ep, so this is great ep vs great moment.

Edited by 3ku11

Voted for Work Song over Bath Item which as expected is dominating. Bath item is known for a big moment Sheldon hugging Penny, and of course Penny saying "Look Leonard Sheldons hugging me" haha which had more to do with Leonard and Pennys surprise then anything. But work song is not centric anyone, it starts with Penny making her petals, then Sheldon joins in, then Leonard, Raj, Howard join in. So its an ensemble ep, so this is great ep vs great moment.

Wow, total destruction.  257-67 at this point.  It's a testament to just how brilliant that great moment was, because the main story of the episode was just average, in my opinion.