The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Season 8 Ratings Thread

OK, 8.03, The First Pitch Insufficiency had a 4.7 with 16.80 million and the repeat at 8:30 The Romance Resonance had a 3.1 with 12.32. The repeat at 3.1 was ranked third for the night, behind TBBT and The Voice. A full report along with comparisons to other shows will be put up later this afternoon, when all the adjustments have been made. Traditionally, TBBT gets adjusted up by a tenth or two and about a 200-300k viewers in the finals.

yea, after reviewing all my markets, and now doing my calculations for posting....they did win the TP and night, but there was a drop-off for the 2nd episode (repeat--as expected)

yea, after reviewing all my markets, and now doing my calculations for posting....they did win the TP and night, but there was a drop-off for the 2nd episode (repeat--as expected)

. While there may have been a drop off, a repeat finishing third, with a 3.1 in demo is still impressive.

. While there may have been a drop off, a repeat finishing third, with a 3.1 in demo is still impressive.

Yea, what is more shocking....Gotham in most of my markets tied or beat The Voice....And DWTS was 2nd at 8PM....Seems a lot of folks DVR'd Gotham last week, enjoyed it, and choose to watch it live!!  Based off my estimates, you should see a BIG dropoff on The Voice from last week to this week (and vs. historical levels).  I'm still stunned with DWTS numbers (I was so sure that was going to tank).  I knew BBT & Gotham would do well. 

Yea, what is more shocking....Gotham in most of my markets tied or beat The Voice....And DWTS was 2nd at 8PM....Seems a lot of folks DVR'd Gotham last week, enjoyed it, and choose to watch it live!! Based off my estimates, you should see a BIG dropoff on The Voice from last week to this week (and vs. historical levels). I'm still stunned with DWTS numbers (I was so sure that was going to tank). I knew BBT & Gotham would do well.

Hold off on DWTS and Castle rating until finals. Both ABC affiliates, in KC and Boston carried the Monday Night Football game. I suspect that those two shows will seriously drop, when the football numbers are pulled out.

Hold off on DWTS rating until finals. Both ABC affiliates, in KC and Boston carried the Monday Night Football game. I suspect that those two shows will seriously drop, when the football numbers are pulled out.

I was looking market by market.  We have to post our schedules based off airings (so for me its the Florida mkts we've discussed, NY mkts, TN mkts, etc). 

Last Monday when the Giants were playing in MNF...didn't really affect the numbers to much in NY (and our CW carried the game too....but not as strong as an ABC).

Final Ratigns For Monday, September 29, 2014 broadcasts

TBBT's Season (8.03, The First Pitch insuficiency), brought in a 4.8 , with 16.38 million people. At 8:30 a repeat of (7.06, The Romance Resonance) garnered a 3.1 demo and 12.26 Million . This is down six tenths from last week, for the original.

Even down, TBBT was first with 4.7 demos. In second was The Voice at 4.0 and third was tie between the 8:30 TBBT and Gotham with 3.1. In total viewers, the 8:00 PM TBBT was number one with 16.38 million viewers. Scorpion was second with 13.36 million and The Voice was third at 12.94 million viewers.

For the half hour splits, TBBT, at 8:00 PM had a 4.7, #2 was The Voice with a 3.2 and third was the 8:30 TBBT with a 3.1. In terms of viewers, at 8:00 PM, TBBT was first with 16.18 million, second was Dancing With the Stars with 11.92 Million and in third was The Voice at 11.07 Million. At 8:30, for demo, in first was The Voice with a 4.0, #2 was the repeat of TBBT with a 3.1 and third was Gotham with a 2.7. The Voice climbed to first in viewers at 12.96 million, Dancing With the Stars was second at 12.75 million, and the repeat of TBBT at 12.32. The half hour splits are based on the overnights.

It worth noting that The Voice rose by eight tenths of a point and almost two million viewers, after the original TBBT ended. After the repeat ended, it climbed to over 13 million viewers and a 4.2 demo. It appears that TBBT is taking some viewers away from The Voice.

I was wondering if Scorpion was going to do as well as last week with the rerun lead in. While it dropped a bit, it was actually able to grow out of TBBT repeat.

Tensor

• Like 3

From Vulture: http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/network-tv-ratings-good-news-bad-news-fall-2014.html

Early Fall Network TV Ratings Report: The Good, The Bad and The Utopia Level

CBS
The good news: Viewers checked out its new dramas.
For broadcasters, premiere week is all about convincing viewers to sample new wares, with the hope that at least a couple freshmen will end up long-term players. By this yardstick, CBS couldn’t have had a better opening to the season: All three of its new dramas drew more than 10 million viewers and did decently among key demo groups. Not surprisingly, NCIS: New Orleans got off to the fastest start, with over 20 million viewers checking out the latest iteration of a franchise. But positioning Madam Secretary and Scorpion behind, respectively, a big NFL game and the debut of The Big Bang Theory helped those shows score impressive openings, too. And second-week numbers for the newbies have also been solid, with Scorpion looking particularly good (in part because of CBS’s wise decision to keep reruns of Big Bang at 8:30 p.m. for a few more weeks). It’s a far cry from this time last fall, when the Eye was looking at burning wreckage of two new show on Mondays (Hostages and We Are Men). Big openings aren’t a guarantee of long-term success, of course, as The Michael J. Fox Show and The Crazy Ones demonstrated last season. But none of the Eye’s newcomers are in immediate crisis right now, which means they all have a shot to thrive if producers come through with good episodes in coming weeks and months. CBS can also be happy that The Big Bang Theory didn’t skip a beat with its temporary transition to Mondays, that Survivor remains a solid Wednesday anchor, and that Thursday football is providing the expected audience boost to that night.

• Like 2

Wednesday, October 01, 2014; Weekly Rankings Week 02

Ratings based on Week One numbers

This was officially premiere week and TBBT ran two new shows,  8.01 The Locomotion Interuption and 8.02 The Junior Professor Solution.

The top ten in demo follows. (Repeats are designated by a R, Specials or Special Times are designated by a S, P indicates series Premiere )

Show                                                18-49 demo              18-49 viewers

Sunday Night Football                            7.8                         11,007,000

TBBT                                             P       5.4                            6,917,000

TBBT                                             S       5.4                            6,876,000

Football Night In America                       4.6                            5,806,000

Family Guy                                   PS      4.5                            5,759,000

Thursday Night Football                         4.5*                            

The Voice (Tue)                                P     4.1                            5,216,000

How to get Away with Murder         p     3.9                            4,995,000

The Voice (Mon)                               P     3.9                            4,969,000

Scandal                                            P     4.9                            4,959,000

*Thursday Night Football's final numbers include both the broadcast and the cable ratings.  Since I am only considering broadcast, I will not include the cable portion of the ratings.

Family Guy had it highest rating since 2011.  This was due to the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover hour long show.  

Show                                                      Total viewers

Sunday Night Football                               19,660,000                           

TBBT                                                 S      18,240,000

NCIS                                                  P      18,230,000

TBBT                                                 P      18,030,000
NCIS:NO                                           P       17,220,000

How to get Away with Murder           P      14,340,000

Scorpion                                            P      13,830,000

The Voice (Tue)                                  P      13,180,000

The Voice (Tue)                                  P      12,950,000

Dancing with the Stars                              12,760,000

Just a reminder that Thursday Night Football ratings are only for broadcast portion of the ratings.

My normal source for total viewers was unavailable.  The numbers I get here are from an article Kerry passed along to me.  So give a shout out and thank Kerry.  

Tensor

• Like 3

Posted on 03 October, 2014, Syndication for Week 02.

There will be no syndicated ratings this week. There is a two week delay on syndication ratings, so the week one numbers will come out next week.

Tensor

• Like 1

04 October, 2014. News and Notes.

The Big Bang Theory's Monday, 29 September episode (The First Pitch Inconsistency) Picked up 4.07 Million and 1.7 points in demo in it's three day lift.  In viewers it rose from 16.38 million to 20.45 million, in the demo it went from a 4.8 to a 6.5.  It had the highest increase in demo for the three day lift and remained the #1 program in viewers and demo.  

• Like 3

The fast Nationals for 8.04 The Hook-up Reverberation. In Households, it pulled in 10.3 household rating with an 16 share (10.8/16 last week) and the repeat at 8:30) 7.16, The Table Polarization)had a 7.5/11(7.8/11 last week). I'll have the overnights up around, 11:30 AM eastern time.

• Like 1

OK, 8.04 The Hook-up Reverberation, had a 4.4 with 15.54 million and the repeat at 8:30 The Table Polarization had a 2.9 with 11.87. The repeat at at 8:30 was ranked third for the night, behind TBBT and The Voice. A full report along with comparisons to other shows will be put up later this afternoon, when all the adjustments have been made. Traditionally, TBBT gets adjusted up by a tenth or two and about a 200-300k viewers in the finals.

• Like 2

Final Ratigns For Monday, October 06, 2014 broadcasts

TBBT's Season (8.04, The Hook-Up Reverberation), brought in a 4.5 , with 15.75 million people. At 8:30 a repeat of (7.16, The Table Polarization) garnered a 2.9 demo and 11.72 Million . This is down three tenths from last week, for the original.

Even down, TBBT was first for the night with that 4.5 demo. In second was The Voice at 3.7 and third was the 8:30 repeat of (7.16, The Table Polarization) with a 2.9  For viewers, the new TBBT was number one with 15.75 million viewers. Dancing with the Stars was second with 12.74 million and The Voice was third at 12.41 million viewers.

For the half hour splits, TBBT, at 8:00 PM had a 4.4, #2 was The Voice with a 3.2 and third was the 8:30 Gotham with a 2.5. In terms of viewers, at 8:00 PM, TBBT was first with 15.54 million, second was Dancing With the Stars with 11.46 Million and in third was The Voice at 11.09 Million. At 8:30, for demo, in first was The Voice with a 3.5, #2 was the repeat of TBBT with a 2.9 and third was Gotham with a 2.4. The Voice climbed to first in viewers at 12.19 million, Dancing With the Stars was second at 12.17 million, and in third was TBBT repeat at 12.41. The half hour splits are based on the overnights.

The Voice rose did not rise as much this week, against TBBT.  After the original at 8:30,  it rose by only three tenths, {eight tenths of a point last week)  and it was up by a million viewers (vs almost two million viewers, last week). After the repeat ended, it climbed another four tenths, for a total of seven tenths (up one full point last week).  Total demo at 3.9 vs a 4.2 last week). In viewers, it went up another 600,000 viewers up a total of 1.6 million viewers, vs a total of almost  2.5 Million last week (12.79 vs 13.24 last week).

While Scorpion slid to a 2.5 demo, still good enough for fifth for the night and a good demo in this day and age.  It was not able to grow out of the TBBT repeat this week.  It was four tenths below in demo, but virtually the same in total viewers.

Tensor

Wednesday, October 08, 2014; Weekly Rankings Week 03

Ratings based on Week Two numbers

This week TBBT ran  8.03 The First Pitch Insufficiency.  

The top ten in demo follows. (Repeats are designated by a R, Specials or Special Times are designated by a S, P indicates series Premiere )

Show                                                18-49 demo              18-49 viewers

Sunday Night Football                             7.4                            9,350,000
TBBT                                                       4.8                            6,068,000

Thursday Night Football                          4.4*                          *5,573,000 

The Voice (Mon)                                      4.1                            5,220,000

The Voice (Tue)                                       4.0                            5,025,000

Football Night In America                        3.9                            4,954,000

Modern Family                                        3.7                            4,758,000

Scandal                                                   3.4                            4,296,000

How to get Away with Murder                  3.3                             4,220,000

Once Upon A Time                                  3.3                             4,174,000

*Thursday Night Football's final numbers include both the broadcast and the cable ratings.  Since I am only considering broadcast, I will not include the cable portion of the ratings.
Last week I mentioned that Family Guy had it highest rating since 2011, a 4.6, for the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover hour long show.  This week, it's ratings fell to a 1.9  

Show                                                      Total viewers

Sunday Night Football                               19,386,000                           

NCIS                                                          18,838,000

NCIS:NO                                                    16,574,000

TBBT                                                          16,383,000
60 Minutes                                                  14,232,000

The Voice (Tue)                                          13,374,000

Scorpion                                                     13,359,000

The Voice (Tue)                                          12,950,000

Thursday Night Football                             12,941,000

Dancing with the Stars                               12,502,000

Just a reminder that Thursday Night Football ratings are only for broadcast portion of the ratings.

Tensor

Last week I mentioned that Family Guy had it highest rating since 2011, a 4.6, for the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover hour long show.  This week, it's ratings fell to a 1.9

That's the thing with Family Guy; they rely on gimmicks these days to get decent ratings. Last season they killed off Brian Griffin. The first two episodes after Brian had died were the highest rated ones of that season, yet as soon as they brought him back, the ratings took a hit again. It's the same this year; the crossover was a good show but it's still a one-off gimmick and they can't do that every week.

How many more seasons has Family Guy got left in it?

That's the thing with Family Guy; they rely on gimmicks these days to get decent ratings. Last season they killed off Brian Griffin. The first two episodes after Brian had died were the highest rated ones of that season, yet as soon as they brought him back, the ratings took a hit again. It's the same this year; the crossover was a good show but it's still a one-off gimmick and they can't do that every week.

How many more seasons has Family Guy got left in it?

The thing about Animated Sitcoms like Family Guy, King Of the Hill and Simpsons is that they can go on forever. It not like Live Action Sitcom like BBT, TAAHM, Seinfeld, MF, etc,. Although I think it about time Family Guy got taken off the Air. It was cancelled once already. It really nasty. 

See, the problem is the ratings we see (I should say, have access to for free), don't tell the whole story.  Networks are increasing looking at the 18-34 demo.  Younger audiences are increasingly harder to reach.  Those who are 18-34 do the most time shifting, streaming, etc.  As a result, they watch less and less of live broadcast TV (live in this case means as it is broadcast).    Those shows that can capture such an audience, at the time of broadcast, are worth more to the networks, even if their total viewers, and yes, even the 18-49 demo are high.   I found some averages for the year (obviously not very many episodes)  for the 18-34 demo.  I will be writing an article about this for Friday.   I'll list the top ten for 18-34, 18-49, and total viewers, and you should be able to see why some shows, a lot of people think should be cancelled, are still one).   For those wondering, TBBT is huge in 18-34 (it's #1), it's lead over second  (and even fourth) isn't as large as the lead in the 18-49 demo.

• Like 1

From 09 October, 2014, Syndication for Week 3.

Based on Week One ratings

I'm going to do the syndication ratings a bit different this year. I'm going to list the the Household Rating and number of viewers for the top ten in syndication. They will be ranked based on Household ratings:

Show                                       Household Rating                         Viewers

Judge Judy                                         6.7                                    9,439,000

Wheel of Fortune                                6.3                                  10,004,000

Jeopardy                                             6.1                                   9,389,000

TBBT (Mon-Fri)                                   5.4                                   8,028,000

Family Feud                                        5.1                                   7,270,000

TBBT (Weekend)                                 4.0                                   6,250,000

Modern Family (Mon-Fri)                    3.7                                   5,473,000

Dr Phil                                                 3.2                                   4,339,000

Entertainment Tonight                         3.2                                   4,538,000

Inside Edition                                      2.9                                   4,058,000    

A couple of notes.   During the fall, Monday Night Football ratings are collected and listed under syndication, although it's not considered a syndicated program.  This program is pulled out of the syndicated ratings.  There is also a program called "Weekend Adventure".    This is a collection of nature programs, broadcast on ABC during the day on weekends.  I've pulled it out, as it's not late afternoon/evening syndicated programing.                          

• Like 1

18-34 Demo.  Posted 10 October, 2014

I want to start by giving credit for the 18-34 data to the poster omabin at Spoiler TV .  

I said something yesterday about the 18-34 demo. The current standard is the 18-49 demo. In the late 1990s, early 2000s, the networks switched from using total viewers, to using the 18-49 demo. This basically due to those over 49 watching more TV than those who were under 49.  Thus, those over 49 were easier to reach on television. If that group didn’t see an ad on one channel or show, they would probably see it on another channel or show. While those under 49, may miss an ad, and not see it on another channel or show, as they didn’t watch those other shows. The way to get most of those 18-49 to see an ad, would be to get the ad on a show that had a lot of 18-49 year old viewers.

With the proliferation of Live Streaming, sites that show broadcast shows, Time Shifting, etc, it is the 18-34 group that has changed the way they view television. They watch when they want, and pick and choose what they watch. As a result, they are now the hardest to reach, on live broadcast television. The networks, while not abandoning the 18-49 demo, are looking closer at the 18-34 demo.

Prior to, say, around 2003, total viewers were the measure for broadcast shows. Which ever show had the most viewers, was the number one show. With that in mind, here are the top ten non-sports shows, of this year, by viewers:

Show Viewers                                       (in millions).
NCIS                                                        18.11
TBBT                                                        17.10
NCIS:NO                                                  16.39
The Voice (Tue)                                         13.46
How to Get Away With Murder                 13.25
Scorpion                                                   13.22
The Voice (Mon)                                        12.77
Dancing With the Stars                             12.59
Criminal Minds                                          11.65
Scandal                                                     11.43

The perception is that CBS has an audience that is generally older than the other networks. Just keep in mind that, in viewers, CBS has five of the top ten shows, NBC has two (the two Voices), and ABC has three (Scandal, …Murder, DWTS).

Now, lets look at the 18-49 demo.

Show                                                         Demo Rating
TBBT                                                               5.03
The Voice (Tue)                                                4.10
The Voice (Mon)                                              3.87
Modern Family                                                3.80
Scandal                                                           3.65
How to Get Away With Murder                       3.60
Once Upon a Time                                          3.50
Black-ish                                                         2.95
The Simpsons                                                 2.95
Scorpion                                                          2.93

Remember those five CBS show’s?  It’s down to two. TBBT and Scorpion sneaks in at #10. ABC has jumped to five, NBC has two (both Voices), and Fox has one (The Simpsons)

Now were going to look at the 18-34. I have one caveat, which I’ll explain after the list.

Show                                                                   18-34 Rating

TBBT                                                                         3.58
The Simpsons                                                           3.15
Once Upon A Time                                                    3.15
Scandal                                                                     3.15
The Voice                                                                  2.92
How to Get Away With Murder                                 2.90
Modern Family                                                          2.83
Grey’s Anatomy                                                        2.55
Gotham                                                                     2.33
Brooklyn Nine-nine                                                   2.25

As I pointed out, while it is still in first place, it’s lead is less than a half a ratings point and it’s lead on fifth place goes from 1.4 to 0.6, less than half.

We now have only one show on both CBS (TBBT) and NBC (The Voice) on the list. ABC has five, and Fox is up to three (Brooklyn, Gotham, and The Simpsons (I’ll give them Family Guy too).
You can get an idea of how young a networks skews, by looking at this list. ABC, has more shows in the 18-34 demo, while CBS has the most viewers. Which indicate, that CBSs viewers are on the older side. Because of this, advertisers are willing to pay for more those younger viewers, who are harder to reach.

Now for the caveat. Family Guy had a huge season premiere with their Simpsons crossover episode. This has caused a large skew in their average. For example, the premiere had a 4.5 18-49, which dropped to a 1.9 for the second week. In the 18-34 demo, it’s average (I don’t have the breakouts) was a 4.20. Since it’s average is so skewed by the premiere, I’ve pull it from the list, for now.

Those interested in more details on the 18-34 ratings and how they may possibly correlate to ad rates, can find the first of a  series of articles by Spot, over at Spotted Ratings

• Like 2

For the week One Live + 7 demo, TBBT was second and third in lift and first and second in total demo. The premiere earned at 2.6 demo lift (going from 5.4 to 8.0) while the 8:30 show had a 2.4 lift, (going from 5.5 to 7.9) The only other show to get a total of 6.5 or above was the Simpsons/Family Guy Crossover, which brought in a 6.5.

I'll have the full demo and viewer tables tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 October, 2014; Live +7 for Week 4 

Based on week one numbers.

As with syndication, I'm going to be doing the Live + 7 a bit differently this year. I'll be given the top 10 in Lift and Total for both Demo and Total Viewers.  Lift is the amount of increase from Live + SD and the Live + 7.   Sunday Night Football lift for both demo and viewers isn't always available, as the average of both is around 1%.  As I can't always get the numbers, I will be estimating the totals this year.   As these are estimates, I won't include them in the list, but with the 1% lift, Sunday Night Football would have about a 7.9 demo and about 19,850,000 viewers.    TBBT ran 8.01 The Locomotion Interruption, at 8:00 PM and 8.02 The Junior Professor Solution, at 8:30.

DEMO

Show                                              Live + 7 Lift                                                              Show                                            Live + 7 Total

Gotham                                                  2.7                                                                    TBBT (8:30)                                         8.0

TBBT (8:30 PM)                                     2.6                                                                     TBBT (8:00 PM)                                  7.9

TBBT (8:00 PM)                                     2.4                                                                     Family Guy                                          6.5

How To Get Away with Murder              2.3                                                                     How to Get Away with Murder              6.1

Modern Family                                       2.2                                                                     Gotham                                                6.0

The Blacklist                                           2.0                                                                     Modern Family                                     6.0

Family Guy                                             1.9                                                                     Scandal                                                5.5

Scorpion                                                1.8                                                                      The Blacklist                                         5.5

Scandal                                                  1.7                                                                      The Voice                                            5.4

Marvel: Agents of SHEILD                     1.6                                                                      The Voice (Tues)                                 5.3

VIEWERS

Show                                               Live + 7 viewer Lift                                                     Show                                             Live + 7 Total

How To Get Away with Murder            6,953,000                                                              TBBT (8:30)                                    24,180,000

The Blacklist                                        6,782,000                                                              TBBT (8:00 PM)                              23,746,000

TBBT (8:30 PM)                                   5,880,000                                                               NCIS                                              22,473,000

Gotham                                                5,839,000                                                              NCIS:NO                                        21,078,000

TBBT (8:00 PM)                                    5,669,000                                                              How to Get Away with Murder      21,076,000

Scorpion                                               5,320,000                                                              The Blacklist                                  19,334,000

Modern Family                                      4,802,000                                                              Scorpion                                        19,217,000

Person of Interest                                 4,743,000                                                               Scandal                                         15,973,000

NCIS                                                     4,135,000                                                               Modern Family                              15,870,000

Scandal                                                 4,017,000                                                              Person of Interest                          15,448,000

As you can see, a large increase, does not necessarily translate into totals.  Note that Agents of SHEILD had the tenth highest demo lift, but didn't make the Top Ten total list.  As a matter of fact, it finished 16th, and didn't even break a 4.0 demo.  One the viewer side, while NCIS was almost (200,000 viewers) three million viewers below How to get Away with Murder, NCIS was 1.5 million total viewers ahead of How to get Away with Murder.   Also note that TBBT was the only series to go over a 7.0 (and one of them hit 8.0) and was almost two full points ahead of every other show (excepting the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover special)

Tensor

• Like 1

Ten this may be impossible to answer. And I am sure their is no specific reason. But i find it remarkable particularly Big Bangs Live Demo is still so high after so many years. I guess I mean in this day in age of Streaming. Its not just week or two, these are consistent numbers for Three Seasons now, and no signs of slowing down. How is this comparable to say sitcoms of the 90's like Friends, Seinfield e.t.c? Clearly different times, but hard to tell, but interested in the relative numbers. 

Ten this may be impossible to answer. And I am sure their is no specific reason. But i find it remarkable particularly Big Bangs Live Demo is still so high after so many years. I guess I mean in this day in age of Streaming. Its not just week or two, these are consistent numbers for Three Seasons now, and no signs of slowing down. How is this comparable to say sitcoms of the 90's like Friends, Seinfield e.t.c? Clearly different times, but hard to tell, but interested in the relative numbers. 

I did a couple of articles on it last year and a couple of years ago.   It is very tough to compare the years prior to 2000 and now as in the late nineties, because of the serious loss of viewers.   You also have streaming, DVR, the proliferation of channels, etc.    Since we don't have the 18-49 demo for the 90 and early 2000 (the data isn't complete and/or reliable prior to 2004) we won't use it.  We can look at shows as a percentage of all viewers in that timeslot.  From what I can find, Friends  was around 33-38% of those watching broadcast television in their timeslot (8 PM Thursdays).  In general, there were 60-66 million viewers watching TV on Thursday's, when Friends aired.   Last year, I was doing some comparison and TBBT was bringing in 18 million viewers, out of 42 million who were watching Broadcast TV in the timeslot(Interestingly, at 8 PM on Thursday).   That's around 42%.    Think of it this way.  With about 20 million less viewers available, TBBT had only 2 million less viewers than Friends .

With the decline of the viewers, the rise of DVR viewers somewhat offsets the loss of viewers.  For Friends' last year in 2003-04, they averaged 22.8 million viewers,(it had 20.2 million in 2000-01)  Amercain  Idol was #1 with 25.7 Million viewers.  This was before DVR (or TIVO) really took off.     Last year, TBBT for Live + 7 was pulling in 23.5 Million viewers.  These two bits of information suggests that TBBT would have been more than capable of pulling in equivalent numbers as those hit sitcoms of the nineties.  

• Like 2