The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

801 The Locomotion Interruption (September 22)

Your Episode Rating  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Scene 1:

We've already seen Sheldon without pants many times before, he has been robbed several times before (even in a trainstation before), so been there, done that.

Scene 2:

Leonards question about not bringing Amy was really disrepectful to Amy.

Scene 3:

That one was okay, it at least told us Emily was still around.

Scene 4:

Nothing special, we have seen frustrated Amy many, many times before.

Scene 5:

Not to bad, but didn't really add anything to the story. If it had been left out, we wouldn't have missed anything.

Scene 6:

First good scene, finally someone told Penny the truth about being a lazy bum.

Scene 7:

Okay scene, good setup for the rest of the Stuart/Howard banter.

Scene 8:

Opening of the scene (before L & A arrive) was just like scene 5. Sheldon was the same jerk, hurting Amy (on purpose or not) by his "What are you doing here" and "Shotgun" remarks.

Scene 9:

Not bad, again good setup for the next scene with Penny.

Scene 10:

Only used to later point out that Amy was upset for a few hours.

Scene 11:

This one was kinda funny thanks to Raj's last line " This is where you talk"

Scene 12:

Shows us what everyone already knows, that Penny has no real skills, and only gets the job because that guy is also scared of Bernadette.

Scene 13:

Wow a cruel sex joke regarding Shamy, we've never had those before...

Only really good part of the episode was the honest conversation that followed, but ruined by the constant need to add a "funny"  end to scenes.

Scene 14:

Other good scene, the banter between S and H was good.

Scene 15:

Of course Sheldon would have problems with Penny's new hair, no surprise there.

Tag scene:

Wasn't funny, told nothing important.

I wonder what exactly it is that you look for.  I'm not an idiot TV viewer or anything like that, but I found it funny from beginning to end.  I wasn't as interested in the Howard/Stuart stuff, but I still thought it was funny stuff--and is a good set-up for further issues.

I didn't find Leonard not wanting to take Amy disrespectful.  Sheldon didn't call Amy.  Leonard didn't know if there was a reason why Sheldon didn't call her, but that could have been a valid reason.  If he didn't want to spend 6 hours driving with her, that's understandable.  If Sheldon had wanted Amy to come and get him, he would have called her.

I think it was nice of him to ask her, because he didn't have to, and clearly didn't really enjoy it.  That's just life.  Amy isn't a goddess, you know.

All in all, I think it was all very funny--even Sheldon in his underpants, having been robbed.

That's one thing that has annoyed me about the show occasionally. Scenes which are emotional and/or dramatic have to be turned into 'funny' scenes.

Somebody needs to tell the writers: 'Yes, you've got a great script and your stuff is really funny, but just have a scene once in a while which doesn't end on a punch line!'

Another such 'funny' end to a dramatic scene was in Season 7 Episode 12 "The Hesitation Ramification" when Sheldon consoles Leonard over Penny falling out with him. Leonard has just turned down a drunk Penny's marriage proposal. Sheldon has an emotional chat with Leonard about the events of the evening and this was going to be one of the best dramatic scenes the show had ever produced. But then the writers had to ruin it by having Sheldon stick a 'kick me' sign on Leonard's back which was totally unnecessary and completely ruined the episode for me.

I don't have a problem at all with the punch lines at the end of dramatic scenes.

This show is not intended to be an "Afternoon Special" or to have any "very special episodes", which were always being done when I was growing up.  Some sitcom, especially if it involved kids, would tackle some serious subject, like someone dying or a kid being abused or someone doing drugs, and everyone would "LEARN A VERY VALUABLE LESSON!" because of the serious episode.

Blech.

I think that some shows can tackle things like that, but TPTB for this show have apparently decided (judging by one of Chuck's vanity cards) that any moment of sentiment is always going to be punctured by a joke.  They're never going to leave that somber mood hanging over the end of a scene.

I think the only time they've ever done it was when the guys left for the arctic and Penny had that moment behind her door.

I have no need for TBBT to give me a serious mood.  They have serious moments, but it's not a comedy for nothing.  If that's the tone they choose to take, then it's their right to pop those sentiment bubbles whenever and however they want to.

I'm glad this show doesn't do sappy sticky stuff.

• Like 6

@phanta, I'd suggest they do do sappy sticky stuff, but they squeeze lemon on it after, to dissolve the sap and relieve the stickiness - but they didn't do that with the Howard, Deb-Deb, Stuart triangular confection. Delightfully tart all the way through. That and the hair was pretty much all the novelty for me. And everyone looked a bit buffer, I thought - and was there a naked male foot or was I just looking at a sock? LOL. :)

@phanta, I'd suggest they do do sappy sticky stuff, but they squeeze lemon on it after, to dissolve the sap and relieve the stickiness - but they didn't do that with the Howard, Deb-Deb, Stuart triangular confection. Delightfully tart all the way through. That and the hair was pretty much all the novelty for me. And everyone looked a bit buffer, I thought - and was there a naked male foot or was I just looking at a sock? LOL. :)

Sheldon only had one sock, in the train station opening.

Oh my...

Lets next see them have naked male feet in the bedroom (fans self). Its a slippery slope... LOL.

Leonard is never taking those socks off. He won't even change that damned dressing gown after 7 years!

• Like 2

i'm sorry but the more i watch Sheldon at the train station in his undies and listen to him explain himself... the more i laugh! it was funny! " why won't anyone help me?!" . he seems quite comfortable parading around in his undies... i mean, he could have pulled down his t-shirts...but he didn't.  :sarcastichand: what a goof ball he is sometimes!

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode and all the actors did a good performance!

The opening scene was funny and Jim amazing as usual, but I'm not so impressed. It sounds like a little bit old.

I loved especially:

-Penny's in "people, people people... people".

-Sweet Shamy's moment in the car: Sheldon's body language when he speaks about his concern (I just adore the Sheldon's tics) and Amy' smile.

-Howard/Stuart's argument and Bernie's bitchy attitude

-And even if he was only to support the others' scenes, Leonard's lines and his facial expressions were priceless.

I found good premises and I'm quite sure we'll see many comic scenes and a growth for the gang.

-Sheldon has admitted some of its weaknesses with Amy and somehow with Leonard when he speak about Sheldon's fear of finding people smarter than him.

-Penny is no longer the blonde girl next door. Now she is engaged and has to take a charge of a new hard job.

-The Stuart/Debbie's stuff maybe will help Howard to cut the umbilical cord with his mother.

• Like 2

Funniest moment for me was penny in the interview, especially the bit about Bernadette. Hilarious.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I definitely agree a lot with what Kerry said. Some things were better live and some were better on screen. I loved watching the banter between Howard and Stuart, even though they had several takes. For instance, there was one where only Stuart's head turned sideways was in the door frame as he said "that's right suckaaa". It was hilarious, and I wish they kept it that way! On the other hand, the taping of the Sheldon confession was done much better than the reenactment. 

Also Penny's scene with Mr. Root had some other great moments during the taping that didn't make it to the show. There was a point where the two of them mimiced Bernie's voice. Yeah sure it's not the first time we've seen someone make fun of her voice, but I think it's hysterical every time.

Anyway, overall I thought it was a great season opener and stronger than last season's. I am sad that some of you didn't like the episode, but that is your opinion and I won't try to change it :)

• Like 2

I definitely agree a lot with what Kerry said. Some things were better live and some were better on screen. I loved watching the banter between Howard and Stuart, even though they had several takes. For instance, there was one where only Stuart's head turned sideways was in the door frame as he said "that's right suckaaa". It was hilarious, and I wish they kept it that way! On the other hand, the taping of the Sheldon confession was done much better than the reenactment.

Also Penny's scene with Mr. Root had some other great moments during the taping that didn't make it to the show. There was a point where the two of them mimiced Bernie's voice. Yeah sure it's not the first time we've seen someone make fun of her voice, but I think it's hysterical every time.

Anyway, overall I thought it was a great season opener and stronger than last season's. I am sad that some of you didn't like the episode, but that is your opinion and I won't try to change it :)

Yes, the voice imitations were SO funny. Usually they have a good instinct for picking the funniest take (IMO). I don't know went they left it out.

Liked the episode a lot. Not one of the best but certainly a solid episode.

Did NOT like Penny's hair. I've seen upstream people saying that she's older now and this is a "proper" cut. Since when? Since when is long(er) hair only for young girls? Kaley is very pretty sometimes, but in her case, her hair augments that.

Also, I've said this for a long time and I don't know if anyone else has noticed, Kaley makes certain mouth expressions that strongly remind me of Drew Barrymore. She could play her sister.

• Like 1

Liked the episode a lot. Not one of the best but certainly a solid episode.

Did NOT like Penny's hair. I've seen upstream people saying that she's older now and this is a "proper" cut. Since when? Since when is long(er) hair only for young girls? Kaley is very pretty sometimes, but in her case, her hair augments that.

Also, I've said this for a long time and I don't know if anyone else has noticed, Kaley makes certain mouth expressions that strongly remind me of Drew Barrymore. She could play her sister.

You might get as many opinions as people. From my point of view it is a significant change. I think that is good because Penny/Kaley is significantly older than in season one. A change in hair style is realistic. Kaley/Penny looks good either way.

Second point if we believe Kaley's interview the change was at her request. I support that. The writers have gone ahead and written it into the story and I think it works well.

I have been married 25 years and my wife has had long hair and short hair and medium hair. Some times people like a change. I have gone form a short dark beard to a long white beard to no beard. When I was young I wanted to look older and now I'm not young and I don't want to look older. My wife happens to like a full beard but I don't want one any more. It is nice when we can let people decide how they want to look themselves. If Kaley wants short hair I support that.

• Like 1

nice start to the season.

love penny hair-cut makes her more matured.

looks like howard/stuart will working a lot

together(what to do with debbie).

poor amy- she let out lot of steam at sheldon

Stewie99 has provided the Ratings for The Locomotion Interruption in the UK:

Season 8 UK Ratings- Episode 1 'The Locomotion Interruption'

The UK ratings for the first episode of Season 8, which first aired at 8.30pm on E4 on Thursday 23rd October 2014.

TBBT pulled impressive ratings for it's UK premiere, with 1.65m tuning in, a 7.7% share. These figures mean that the show came third in it's timeslot, beating Channel 4's 'Amazing Spaces' (1.45m/6.8%) and BBC2's 'The Great British Sewing Bee' (1.66m/7.8%). The show lost out to offerings from BBC1 and ITV; 'Watchdog' (3.04m/14.3%) and 'Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs' (4.20m/19.5%) respectively.

A further 441,000 (2.1%) watched a repeat of the new episode an hour later on E4's time delay channel, E4+1.

However, when looking back at past Premieres, ratings of below 2m do seem a bit disappointing. The show managed 2.32m for the Season 7 Premiere, and a record 2.8m for the Season 6 Premiere. The show still beat the Season 4 and Season 5 Premieres by convincing margins though.

It was a bit of a dud night for UK TV all round, with Sir David Attenborough's new series 'Life Story' winning the night outside of soap operas with just 4.41m/21.2%.

Why else might the Premiere not have done as well as previous years? Well, there's over-exposure for a start, with E4 showing at least 6 episodes of the show every day. Perhaps viewers have grown tired of the show as it has been on TV almost constantly all year round.

Also, I don't think the start of this season was as well promoted as the start of last one. That's not to say E4 didn't promote it at all; I have seen some adverts, but I'm pretty sure the advertising was much more prominent last year.

• Like 1

Thanks Stewie... I am always fascinated with the entire ratings and Media buying situation outside the U.S... I think I have access to a scale that translates ratings in Europe to US NSI info (I have one for Canada and Mexico as we have DMAs with spill).

It also amazes me what does better depending on what part of the world you live in. I know TV viewing is the highest in the US, but England is usually in the top 5 too.

again thanks for sharing, I love this stuff and will share it with my coworkers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks Stewie... I am always fascinated with the entire ratings and Media buying situation outside the U.S... I think I have access to a scale that translates ratings in Europe to US NSI info (I have one for Canada and Mexico as we have DMAs with spill).

It also amazes me what does better depending on what part of the world you live in. I know TV viewing is the highest in the US, but England is usually in the top 5 too.

again thanks for sharing, I love this stuff and will share it with my coworkers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it's fascinating to see what different people watch in different countries. Here in England we are a nation of TV viewers, but on Thursday night the ratings just weren't what they normally are. Next week we'll know if those lower ratings were just an anomaly or whether they will set the pace for this season.

The highest rated shows here at the moment are Strictly Come Dancing (our version of Dancing With The Stars), which usually gets about 10m, The X Factor, which averages about 9m, and the Apprentice, which averages about 6m.

I'm on UK ratings duty for the forum this season so if there's anything you want to ask me about UK TV, feel free!

• Like 1

Review: The Big Bang Theory Season 8 Episode 1: 'The Locomotion Interruption'

An enjoyable episode, but not a classic, in my opinion.

The Premiere didn't get off to the best of starts; I thought the opening bit with Sheldon in the train station was a bit like a scene from a pantomime, but things picked up from there.

The Sheldon stuff was the probably the funniest, especially his remarks to Officer Hernandez in the police station about Sherlock Holmes. The humour in that storyline was subdued a bit when Leonard and Amy arrived to collect Sheldon though- I thought the scenes in the car were trying a bit too hard to be funny. I also thought there wasn't enough Leonard/Sheldon interaction in the storyline.

The Howard/Stuart segments were hit and miss, but I enjoyed the scenes with Howard and Raj in the car, especially when they are listening to Stuart and Debbie's new voicemail message. The argument between Stuart, Howard and Bernadette was funny too, especially when both of the guys were trying to make out like they were each others' fathers.

The Penny stuff was by far the least entertaining storyline of the evening, I just didn't think it worked. Bernadette getting angry was funny when she got stressed with Leonard in The Scavenger Vortex, but it just didn't work as well with Penny this evening, and I can't really work out why.

Best Line: Sheldon: 'There are lots of books called Sherlock Holmes. There aren't any books called Officer Hernandez'.

Performance of The Week: This has got to go to Jim Parsons for this episode- his portrayal of Sheldon was convincing and funny as usual.

Score: 6/10.

Edited by Stewie99