The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
melyanna

Episode 3.11 - The Maternal Congruence

Also an ok episode for me. I missed Raj and Howard^^ but their scene was funny though :D

Drunk Beverly was awesome! :icon_lol:

Yikes. lol

An okay episode. Yeah, that about sums it up.

I was hoping for a lot more heart, not just slapstick humour with variations on the same jokes over and over.

Steve

''An ok episode''? It was EPIC!

Ok, everyone's opinion, really! But I laught more to the kiss than to anything else in the show! But I've heard there were spoilers of this already? Had you read them, maybe you actually saw it coming. But I didn't, so I was like: WTF!!!!!!! And laught like crazy! Good thing there were a commercial right after that or I would have missed the whole rest of the episode! :p

The part about Howard and Raj also made me laught hard! And the fact that Leonard decided not to help (still has a grudge about what happened during his mother's last visit? ^_^). ''He ''has'' a ''girlfriend''''! ^_^

Anyway, everyone enjoy things differently, but to me this one's on my top 5! :p

La-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la! :p

P.S.: I remember Leonard saying ''Here we go'' at the beginning of the episode, right? When they talk about Christmas and Isaac Newton... Is it just me or we hadn't heard that for a while? I like when someone says that just before one of Sheldon's rant! As if they see it coming miles away! ^_^

I had tried to lower my expectations prior to this episode because I thought nothing will ever top "The Maternal Capacitancy" for me... and I was right, but I laughed a lot through this episode, so I'm happy with it. I think we're all getting a bit spoiled with past excellent episodes....some things can't get better and better, they just stay good and we have to watch out not to take them for granted.

But I laught more to the kiss than to anything else in the show! But I've heard there were spoilers of this already? Had you read them, maybe you actually saw it coming. But I didn't, so I was like: WTF!!!!!!! And laught like crazy! Good thing there were a commercial right after that or I would have missed the whole rest of the episode! :p

Me too!!! I started to avoid spoilers, promos etc, so I didn't know what was coming. As soon as drunk Beverly returned to the apartment I KNEW that something was about to happen with Sheldon... but I would have never guessed they would go SO FAR. It was priceless, Jim Parsons' reaction was excellent.. I laughed so much. :icon_cheesygrin:

Also loved the Howard-Raj scene and Leonard's reaction...

So yes, some jokes were repeated from last time, but I'm still very happy with this one. Now we'll just have to get over the three weeks break :/

Probably a little off-topic, but welcome back FemaleNerd! ^_^ We don't see much of you anymore! lol

Yeah, this three week break will feel long without TBBT. I wonder what's in stock for after Christmas, however? Will Sheldon get lucky yet again? ^_^ Or maybe Raj? I just like Raj, I feel bad for him not being able to speak to girls... He should get a girl that wouldn't mind that, that would be cool! :p

Just curious about future character developments... But again, we'll have to wait a few weeks for that. Too bad...

Oh, welcome again miss Nerd! :)

This episode was alright. The problem is that this show is not old and they are already falling back on past material.

For a Leonard-centric episode he's hardly in there. In fact he's hardly on this show anymore in general. The resolution between him and his mother wasn't very satisfying. Beverly is a very cold and unfeeling woman and on the whole she's a failure as a parent. I wanted Leonard to lay into her a bit and express his anger at her. This is something that she needs to be told and its something that Leonard needs to get off his chest.

I thought the kiss between Beverly and Sheldon was handled just fine. Sheldon wasn't turned on or grossed out by it, more like mystified which is what his reaction would be given his character.

Leonard and Penny didn't get a lot of moments in this episode but what was there was sweet.

By far the funniest moments in the show came from Penny and Beverly in the car and at the bar.

Probably a little off-topic, but welcome back FemaleNerd! ^_^ We don't see much of you anymore! lol

Thanks :shy: I'm around, just didn't have much to say recently, since I'm not shipping anyone and I started avoiding the episode threads before the episode aired to avoid spoilers...

Yeah, this three week break will feel long without TBBT. I wonder what's in stock for after Christmas, however? Will Sheldon get lucky yet again? ^_^ Or maybe Raj? I just like Raj, I feel bad for him not being able to speak to girls... He should get a girl that wouldn't mind that, that would be cool! :p

Just curious about future character developments... But again, we'll have to wait a few weeks for that. Too bad...

Number 1 wish on my list for next year is: More geeky, science scenes, PLEASE! I've come to cope with the relationship scenes, but I really miss the moments when the guys are all together doing nerdy things...

As for Raj - maybe he could get a mute girl and he would have to learn the sign language to communicate with her :icon_confused: ?

Number 1 wish on my list for next year is: More geeky, science scenes, PLEASE! I've come to cope with the relationship scenes, but I really miss the moments when the guys are all together doing nerdy things...

I totally agree! miss that, too.

As for Raj - maybe he could get a mute girl and he would have to learn the sign language to communicate with her :icon_confused: ?

It´s an idea but it sounds so..... quiet :/

Oh and I forgot that. Unfortunately I saw the spoiler with the kiss, so I saw it coming. I was laughing though but I wish I didn´t know before >.<

Try to avoid any spoilers next time!!!^^

But we have to wait so long -.- already miss it. Have to rewatch season 3 already :D

Well, we did had some geekiness, right? There were the whole ''foamy'' vengence Sheldon planned, for one. Or the arguments Raj and Sheldon had about science stuff, when he started working with him (meaning ''for him''). The episode before this one there were a lot of geekiness with Sheldon trying to teach Penny physics, Bernadette going to see Leonard's experiment and Sheldon sucking at Mario Kart! There were also the Wil Wheaton episode, which at least half of it is based on a geeky card game! :p Even today, there were a big Isaac Newton reference at the beginning! :p

But I guess we can never get enought geeky stuff, anyway! ^_^ And it's true they don't seem to start much of the episodes with geeky games anymore, like Klingon Boogle and Secret-Agent-Laser-Chess (or whatever how it's named! lol), like they used to... Too bad...

Although I read/watched the spoilers (cuz I'm a spoiler-freak, yeah), I LOVED this episode. Not the best, of course, but I just lóaughed my ass off. I love (drunk) Beverly. :D

Oh, and the way Penny said "I'm adorable" was sooo cute! :)

I actually liked the episode quite a bit, I do also wish there was a bit more science in the episodes recently...but I can see there not being as much in a christmas episode. So this time it didn't really bother me. I absolutely loved Leonard's Mom drunk, and the fact that Sheldon seemed more baffled by the kiss than anything else. Though not my favorite so far this season, I still thought it was pretty good. :icon_cheesygrin:

I've wondered about that too. Not sure if it would work out in the long run for Raj, but the thought has crossed my mind.

I had a lot of expectation about the episode and I have to say that was better that I waited for.

Since the opening I could stop to laugh, the way as Sheldon was again the heroes of the Christmas movies or the message was great, just I expected from him.

Penny and Leonard surprised me, I mean they show that can be funny together, I feel they chemestry is getting better, Leonard reactions were perfect.

Dr. Beverly there are not words for her, great when she was sober, greater when she was drunk, the interaction with Penny was perfect and natural, I don't know you guys but I see a great future for their Mother and Daugther in Law's Dynamic.

I see some doors are open which ones? well maybe we will know Leonard Father and his new girlfriend, if he comes to a conference in Pasadena, we would know Leonard's siblings if the producers decide to make one episode about Mike Hofstadter's Wedding .. or if he and his bride come to visit Leonard, what do you think?

I quite like the episode. I saw all spoilers before watching it, but my expectations weren't high, as I was fearing that the kiss would be the only "funny" moment the writers focused on. On the contrary, the episode was funny overall and I really liked my Leonard. :)

Did anyone catch the German word Sheldon used? Loved the concept it described. (Or am I confusing this witn previous episode?)

I hear ya and I for sure would like more subtle nerdy humor and scenes too but I think we really have to give props to the writers for they also have to get a bigger audience (heck that's why they're paid for) which means they have to keep their stories and lines the least obfuscated possible. They're prolly torn between having nice subtle nerdy lines and the ratings CBS wants.

I don't think it's a question of language. IMHO, it's more like he's way to shy to communicate, even with sign language.

I'm rather sorry he and howard somewhat had hardly any line in this one. I'm still waiting for a big episode where Raj would surprise us all.

this was supposed to be a christmas episode??

If so, the this is the worst christmas episode in the history of sitcoms like ever!

i mean there are thousand cool things you could have the nerds do on holidays. and the writers decide to bring out Leonards obnoxiously repulsive mother. and to make matters worse, they make her drunk.

does it getter any cheaper and low brow than this? it certainly does not.

this is an episode i shall never watch again.

Originally Christine Baranski's reappearance was going to air in January 2010. I'm not certain but it does seem like the Christmas scenes were written around the episode they already had planned.

I once again thought the writers picked up a good story...but executed it poorly...and this was pretty poor

First of all , Christine Baranski does an awesome job as Beverly , her drunk acting was pure genuis. Beverly is a pretty interesting character and the jokes surrounding the Raj/Howard homosexuality were pretty good. I also liked the idea the Beverly being cold and logical and so Sheldon is like a surrogate parent to Leonard . It's as if Leonard wants to fit in the real world , but cannot and instead finds comfort with a best-friend which is some what similar to his family experiences. And Beverly kissing Sheldon was also quite funny.

But there was so much the writers could have done in a better way.

- Sheldon and Beverly are pretty mean to Leonard through out the episode.... All the revelations about her divorce and the death of his dog are made in-front of every-one.

- Then Sheldon rubs it in by not making him tea and of course by actually not telling him about all this previously.

-  I can still understand him not understanding proper social behavior (the conversation starter) , I can understand Sheldon failing to "Comfort" Leonard  ,  but what I cannot understand is why they had Sheldon not happy for being Leonard's surrogate family , because things like that come from heart . So , that was mean , which makes Sheldon unlikable and Leonard a wimp for remaining his friend

- So Sheldon "Comforting" Leonard and Beverly hugging Leonard both fell flat as they looked insincere...it looked like they did those because they had not but not because they wanted to....

- Also , this was one time I wanted to see Penny comforting Leonard , as she clearly saw how Beverly treated Leonard and how disappointed he was..and it would clearly suit her warm character and showed progress in their relationship

- A very good and obvious ending would have been Sheldon saying he likes being Leonard's surrogate family , Penny comforting him or hugging him and Beverly at-least trying to apologize to Leonard ...nothing has to change much from what actually happened in the episode , just small simple changes.....which would deliver a happy ending......  Why I don't episodes like this is... this clearly is an one-off episode...there will no consequences in the next episodes...so I don't find any reason to not have a happy ending.... if the writers is to put a small part of effort that they put to write jokes and great lines in writing some scenes which some genuine affection between the characters , it would be so much better

Edited by vasu

I once again thought the writers picked up a good story...but executed it poorly...and this was pretty poor

First of all , Christine Baranski does an awesome job as Beverly , her drunk acting was pure genuis. Beverly is a pretty interesting character and the jokes surrounding the Raj/Howard homosexuality were pretty good. I also liked the idea the Beverly being cold and logical and so Sheldon is like a surrogate parent to Leonard . It's as if Leonard wants to fit in the real world , but cannot and instead finds comfort with a best-friend which is some what similar to his family experiences. And Beverly kissing Sheldon was also quite funny.

But there was so much the writers could have done in a better way.

- Sheldon and Beverly are pretty mean to Leonard through out the episode.... All the revelations about her divorce and the death of his dog are made in-front of every-one.

- Then Sheldon rubs it in by not making him tea and of course by actually not telling him about all this previously.

-  I can still understand him not understanding proper social behavior (the conversation starter) , I can understand Sheldon failing to "Comfort" Leonard  ,  but what I cannot understand is why they had Sheldon not happy for being Leonard's surrogate family , because things like that come from heart . So , that was mean , which makes Sheldon unlikable and Leonard a wimp for remaining his friend

- So Sheldon "Comforting" Leonard and Beverly hugging Leonard both fell flat as they looked insincere...it looked like they did those because they had not but not because they wanted to....

- Also , this was one time I wanted to see Penny comforting Leonard , as she clearly saw how Beverly treated Leonard and how disappointed he was..and it would clearly suit her warm character and showed progress in their relationship

- A very good and obvious ending would have been Sheldon saying he likes being Leonard's surrogate family , Penny comforting him or hugging him and Beverly at-least trying to apologize to Leonard ...nothing has to change much from what actually happened in the episode , just small simple changes.....which would deliver a happy ending......  Why I don't episodes like this is... this clearly is an one-off episode...there will no consequences in the next episodes...so I don't find any reason to not have a happy ending.... if the writers is to put a small part of effort that they put to write jokes and great lines in writing some scenes which some genuine affection between the characters , it would be so much better

I believe it fits in with Sheldon's character. In any case, I don't think Leonard would have particularly liked Sheldon being his surrogate family either. Sheldon saw this and explained to him that he felt the same way. There have been many episodes where Sheldon doesn't seem too bothered about his friendship with Leonard, which, again, fits in with his character. For example, he said in The Dumpling Paradox, that if he had enough money to pay the rent he'd ask Leonard to leave.  Penny could have comforted him, yes.

This was the best show to date.

It's the episode where Sheldon explains to Leonard the meaning of WELTSCHMERZ !!

I'm weak. :D But I knew that it was going to be what it eventually was. And my response is:HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER!!!!!! :D

Sort of what I thought..! :D

After seeing this in rerun again I noticed it appeared Penny must have been driving drunk (from the bar back to Lenard's apartment). Don't think I noticed before.