Penny And Amy: Should They Reconnect This Season?

Penny And Amy  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Become BFF's or look else where?

• Pamy reconnect
    • Penny finds a new friend
    • Penny bonds with Bernadette

Just wondering as it was clear to anyone Penny and Amy grew apart a bit in S7, and Amy and Bernadette grew closer due to their many commonlarities. Should Penny bond with someone else, maybe Emily? After their initial tension that well most likely fade (Although Emily maybe phased out). I don't know about you but I enjoy Penny and Amy scenes, and enjoy their friendship, although I saw nothing wrong with Penny's indifference to Amy in the finalie, I still want some bestie time lol how lame is that. One of the reasons Penny's perception of failure is so obvious to her, is her closest friends are such scholars. Maybe getting Penny friends like her well give her perspective. 

Edited by 3ku11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't agree with this interpretation of the tag scene.  What exactly was Penny supposed to do, go over and let Amy cry on her shoulder?  First of all, I think one has to always separate what the wri

Reconnect? I don't see where they've ever disconnected. Their friendship has changed and evolved over the years, just as everyone else has changed and evolved (which I know isn't something that a lot

It's not even the fact that they didn't tell Amy where he was. That's honestly irrelevant. It's the fact that Amy was clearly upset and rather than show one ounce of sympathy towards her distressed

Yes they did grow apart a little bit but I think it's because both women grew up and found more interests and enjoyment with their partners. This is natural progression.

And yes Amy and Bernadette got closer. I actually enjoy their friendship more as it's more even leveled and true. The Penny and Amy friendship started with Amy's desire to fill a void in her life of having a social life. This created an environment of her constantly doting over Penny (and I never felt Penny really enjoyed Amy)

With Bernadette close to Amy, it's helped Amy not be so "into" Penny. And the relationship had gotten a little bit more even.

They will however always be in each other's lives as them mates are best friends.

I would enjoy a few girls moments though. They are some of my favorites!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Amy's too good for Penny. I would love to see Amy and Raj become besties.  and Sheldon going nuts over it.  Penny can suck it.  She really upset me on the finale.  I hope they write her less bitchy and drunk because I am really not liking her anymore.  

• Like 4

Amy's too good for Penny. I would love to see Amy and Raj become besties.  and Sheldon going nuts over it.  Penny can suck it.  She really upset me on the finale.  I hope they write her less bitchy and drunk because I am really not liking her anymore.  

Thank you!!! I hope they have Penny get her crap together this season because she is a horrible friend. I can't stand how they have written her character pretty much since the S4 finale. 

I love Penny in the earlier seasons but she honestly just pisses me off now. I hope Amy will ditch her.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 2

I don't get all the fuss about the finale. Penny just got engaged and wanted to spend some time with her husband-to-be Leonard. Basically, whenever Leonard and Penny do something together, someone is there to disturb them. IMO, they have been too nice for a long time. I don't mind Penny telling Amy to leave... just give them a break!

Well my issue with Penny and Amy's relationship goes way further back than the finale. But, in the finale telling her to leave didn't even bother me, the tag scene was what I had an issue with.

What's up with the tag scene? Because Penny didn't join Amy beating Leonard with a pillow? Sheldon made decisions. He decided to not tell anyone about his trip. Leonard and Penny had no right to track his phone. It was Sheldon's problem for not telling Amy about it. Not Penny's, not Leonard's. Sheldon is a grown man and they can't just treat him like a little kid and stop him or call Amy to come over.

Seems the norm their is progress made by Sheldon its all good, if not blame Penny. Amy is too good for Penny? Do you know how disengenious and insulting that is? I am not exactly an intellect or succesfull in the feild of science, but I have friends like Amy and Bernadette relatively speaking, are they too good for me? Considering how isolated and alone Penny must feel being friends with such intellects, and succesfull people. I actually think Penny is too good for Amy, considering the way her and Bernadette treated her in S7, it's funny some convininently forget that. I saw nothing wrong with the finalie, its not all about Amy. IF Amy and Bernadette can act all indifferent to Penny with her problems, then I see no problem with Penny acting the same way. And I fail too see Penny acting bitchy or drunk, her alcahol intake has really decreased over the years. It seems Amy or Berndatte can do any bad thing but get away with it, and seems people here treat Amy like a protected speicies. But Penny is game for attacks. Telling Amy basically to piss off was fair enough, the amount of castrated insults she gets from Amy and Bernadette (Lets be fair they are the bitchy ones here not Penny, they may have not said anything directly, but their general tone towards Penny S7 was really bitchy), is not nice. So she wanted to have some alone time and Amy was not getting the picture. This isin't some run of the mill rom com, it is a pure comedy. Sometimes being sensitive to the characters wants from a writers perspective is not the main priority, then comedy above all. I am not saying Penny has not become increasingly cynical, but do you blame her? But don't think for one second Amy hasen't too just because she's your precious Amy just saying. What was Penny susposed to do be a good friend and beat up her fiance? Some need to take off their centric Amy can't do no wrong glasses (Yes I am about to take off my Penny can't do no wrong glasses too ;)). Regardless of Sheldon's intracieis his social issues his germaphobia issues. People are probably right he shoulden't of been left alone, but the point is he put him self in that position no one else. Sheldon has been for the past 7 years of his adult life and probably more, capable of cleaning himself, feeding himself, and working with people on a daily basis. So he is perfecty capable of going to a train station and deciding not to board or board. Displacing responsiblity and blame, is just selective thinking. Amy's issues and anger was misdirected at Leonard, but it was really a deep seeded issues with Sheldon. It was not Leonard's fault, nor Penny's, nor Amy's but SHELDONS. And I well admit Penny has become increasingly selfish and cynical. But I well not admit that Amy hasen't too nor has Bernadette, considering their indifference to Penny last season. Amy and Penny have both contributed to their distant freindship, not just Penny. Amy intially prob liked Penny because of a social desire, but then found out she had more in common with Bernadette, so they obvousley bonded. For the record Penny becoming bitchy or selfish apparentlly. is a make up of her current identity. Watching Season 7 I did not see any evidence that she was severely selfish, I just see a girl who has become more cynical. To me I see a Chuck Lorre influence, Dark and Cynical. She is not the same perky, optimsitic, blond girl who had dreams of becoming a star. What has been replaced is a battle weary, cynical, on her guard 28 year old Women who has had life put her through the wringer. So she has lost her innocence and has more of an edge, so its a writers thing. I do agree I wish they would stop writing Penny drunk, but its a character trait I don't see it changing any time soon. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

Amy and Bernadette just work better as friends than Amy with Penny. Amy's not scared of Bernie, Bernie knows what Amy's talking about most of the time. They are the true mad scientists of the show. Eventually, they are going to get drunk and make create a plague in Penny's bathroom at a party because THEY CAN!

Penny doesn't add much to that equation except that her bathroom is probably a petrie dish.

Also, Penny doesn't care as much about Amy. It seems like a waste of Amy's energy to pursue "Besties".

And Penny isn't woman enough to handle Bernie one on one for too long.

Edited by Chaliceinnana
  • Like 2

It's not even the fact that they didn't tell Amy where he was. That's honestly irrelevant. It's the fact that Amy was clearly upset and rather than show one ounce of sympathy towards her distressed friend Penny just sat there and stared at her ring or nails etc. A good friend seeing a friend in distress tries to show some empathy whether they agree with the reason for the distress or not. Real girlfriends are supposed to have each other's backs in times of distress. That tag scene though was icing on the cake...the issues I have with Penny stem much further back. She's been written very differently in the last 3 seasons and not for the better.

• Like 5

Penny makes fun of everyone. She insults they guys for trying to get tickets to Comic-con. She makes fun of Amy for dressing frumpy, for her relationship with Sheldon. But God forbid anyone make fun of her for anything! And it isn't in good fun. Penny's pretty mean.

She deserves to get in back in kind. Penny should be able to take if she can dish it out.

What is this, a competition? Amy and Bernie make fun of Penny all the time... and so does Penny with Amy and Bernie. I don't think anyone is the victim here. It's funny how fast the "bestie-illusions" are gone, when there's a minor problem between them. To be honest, I never saw Amy and Penny as best friends. I just think some of us are a little overprotective of Amy, Mayim, I don't know.

I don't blame any of the girls for anything they did/said in the series and I think this whole conversation about "who deserves better friends etc." is pointless.

What is this, a competition? Amy and Bernie make fun of Penny all the time... and so does Penny with Amy and Bernie. I don't think anyone is the victim here. It's funny how fast the "bestie-illusions" are gone, when there's a minor problem between them. To be honest, I never saw Amy and Penny as best friends. I just think some of us are a little overprotective of Amy, Mayim, I don't know.

I don't blame any of the girls for anything they did/said in the series and I think this whole conversation about "who deserves better friends etc." is pointless.

Wholeheartedly agreed. It's pointless and regardless of who likes who's character best I will say that I do enjoy the scenes with all three girls. IMO they tend to be some of the funniest scenes on the show. I mean just look at the scene where Bernie was explaining about the get well card. That whole scene was brilliant!
  • Like 2

If it's a joke for Penny to make fun of Amy's being unattractive and Bernie being short then it is not a hate crime for them to make fun of Penny drinking during the day and reading slow.  Penny actually has more control over those two things.

• Like 1

I see it's hate on Penny's faults and ignore everyone else's day.

Trying to have rational conversations with rabid shippers is exhausting, which is why I don't even try to do it when they're on a roll. I learned my lesson during my years in Daria fandom. I'm still haunted by headdesk debates with rabid Daria/Trent shippers...

It's not even the fact that they didn't tell Amy where he was. That's honestly irrelevant. It's the fact that Amy was clearly upset and rather than show one ounce of sympathy towards her distressed friend Penny just sat there and stared at her ring or nails etc. A good friend seeing a friend in distress tries to show some empathy whether they agree with the reason for the distress or not. Real girlfriends are supposed to have each other's backs in times of distress. That tag scene though was icing on the cake...the issues I have with Penny stem much further back. She's been written very differently in the last 3 seasons and not for the better.

I don't agree with this interpretation of the tag scene.  What exactly was Penny supposed to do, go over and let Amy cry on her shoulder?  First of all, I think one has to always separate what the writers intend to be punchlines and what they intend to be character points.

To me, the tag scene was clearly intended to be a moment of surprise in the way they juxtaposed Amy's calm conversation with Sheldon in one moment, and her explosion in the next.

If Penny had rushed over to console her, it would have ruined the scene, IMO.  In terms of the comedy.  I don't think it was intended to be a "poor Amy!" moment, or even a real weepy moment, or whatever.  If they were trying to establish that Amy was truly hurt, they would have had a very different scene--like the one where Penny was consoling Raj over his break-up with Lucy.  That was a serious scene meant to show Raj's pain in a real way, that finally led to that sweet epiphany (and again, they punctured all that syrup with the tag scene where he wouldn't shut up.)

And I also think that if they meant to portray Amy as truly hurting over it all, they would have had a very different season opener.

If they were trying to show that Penny doesn't care about her purported "bestie" anymore, they also would have written that scene differently.  How people feel about it, or what they wished had happened, is a completely different issue.  Just because Penny didn't rush over and hug Amy doesn't mean that Penny didn't care about Amy.  To me, it looked like one of those, "Well, what can you do?" moments, not a "awww, come cry on my shoulder!" moments.

Anyway, I think that the dynamic of the three girls has changed as each of their characters have grown and changed.  Penny is no longer the only girl hanging out with the geeky guys, Bernie is no longer the only science girl, and Amy is no longer the completely pathetic lonely girl who has to remind her friends that she's also "a girl" in order to get invited to girls night.

As Amy has found her own footing in the group and as a young woman with real friends, she is no longer as needy as she was when she was first clinging to Penny so strongly.  And as Amy has formed her relationship with Sheldon, Penny hasn't had to help them along as much as she did earlier.

And I think Penny has begun to find her own footing in a way, too.  I think she has learned from the other two in many ways--what it means to take an interest in what her boyfriend does, rather than just let him fawn over her, as Leonard (and no doubt other boyfriends) has always done.  She's struggled with her career, her self-esteem, her plans for her future, even her self-identity.  Who is she if she's can't make it as an actress?  What can she do besides acting and waitressing?

And I don't think that she's solely responsible for Amy's happiness, either, nor for getting Amy over every bump in her relationship road.

I don't know.  I just don't have any problems with Penny's behavior.  I do think that she has had doubts about whether or not Bernie or Amy should be with Howard and Sheldon--are they the best guys for them?  I can see how she might think that way.  On the one hand, she's known the guys a lot longer than the girls have, and on the other hand, she also doesn't feel the same way that Bernie and Amy feel.

"They know how we are--but nobody knows how we are."  That's one of my favorite lines from an XF fanfic--your friends and family may know something about your relationship, but they don't really know the way you and your SO know.

• Like 5

Then we can agree to disagree but I will tell you this, I've seen the season premiere (was at the taping) and it only reinforces my interpretation of the tag scene and the overall dynamic they are seemingly reinforcing between Amy and Penny. I'm not saying they're not friends but they certainly aren't besties.

• Like 2

If it's a joke for Penny to make fun of Amy's being unattractive and Bernie being short then it is not a hate crime for them to make fun of Penny drinking during the day and reading slow.  Penny actually has more control over those two things.

But, that's the whole point. Penny was getting bagged on for her actions, while ignoring Amy and Bernadette for doing the same thing.

It's totally reasonable that Penny be, or not be, best friends with the girlfriends of her boyfriend's friends. They are not primary relationships. Not so tightly coupled. But being looser allows more room for slips in behaviour without flat-out betrayal. Once Amy has more social confidence and is more robust I'd expect more conflict from time to time, because is harder to crush her and look mean doing it. Funny stuff, I'd hope. But no funny business, because that ship sailed away in season four I think. The cheesecake scented goddess isn't on a pedestal anymore. So they can give the secondary relationships more tension now, because Leonard and Penny aren't going anywhere, Sheldon and Amy are contractually bound and no one wants to give up the real estate.

• Like 3