803 The First Pitch Insufficiency (September 29)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
  2. 2. Who has the best relationship?

• Sheldon & Amy
    • Howard & Bernadette
    • Raj & his girlfriend
    • Penny & chardonnay
    • Penny & Leonard

I can only speak for myself but I am in no rush for them to move in together, nor do I think that indicates Sheldon "proving it" (whatever the heck that means). Perhaps, towards the end of the season. I think it would be much more beneficial to have Sheldon live alone for a while in order to realize he wants to live with Amy and doesn't need to live with her.

agree 100%.  I'm in no rush for them to live together or to get to the final frontier in terms of intimacy.  Just become more connected emotionally.

We want Sheldon to "want" her, not "need" her or do something just to please her.....

• Like 2

My original point was Leonard at this stage should be ready to move out and start living with Penny as they are engaged and supposed to be in love.

Him living with Sheldon makes no sense at all.

Sheldon being ready or not ready was not point.

• Like 1

My original point was Leonard at this stage should be ready to move out and start living with Penny as they are engaged and supposed to be in love.

Him living with Sheldon makes no sense at all.

Sheldon being ready or not ready was not point.

But people don't need to live together before they get married. Leonard did mention different living arrangements at the end of last season though. Sheldon, being a jerk towards Leonard as you mentioned, could be the push he needs to move out.

Actually the opposite, he cared what Amy thought about his failure, not what Leonard thought about it.

He went for the sympathy act after she arrived and she believed him.  Sheldon went for the cowardly act and called Leonard. The only reason Amy ended up going was Penny had the interview and didn't want to hear  Sheldon's  comments on her hair.

I rated the episode very good.

Lenny/Shamy/Howardette all appear to be at good points in their relationships:: i.e. in synch in their own ways. 

I enjoyed seeing Bernie, Raj helping Howard on practicing pitching.  Loved all the stretches and various things Howard did to delay that first throw in the gym.  I lol'd.

I love Amy but her brown outfit was hideous.  I understand she is unique but I think she can look unique without looking like she shops at Forever 61 (to quote Penny).  I liked her date night outfit and what she was wearing at the Angels' game.  Sometimes I think they go a little overboard with some of Amy's outfits but that's me. 

Edited by Denise07

Wow. I just read the comments on Facebook about this episode and the majority of people HATE it. I don't think I've ever seen so many critical comments (and it wasn't just about penny's hair)

really, on IG it was mixed.  They said it was better than 8.1 but not as good as 8.2.  But didn't kill it. 

really, on IG it was mixed.  They said it was better than 8.1 but not as good as 8.2.  But didn't kill it. 

I think that's probably a fair assessment. Some on here do the reverse Martin Pollard and think every episode is excellent.

• Like 1

So what were they griping about--that Leonard and Penny weren't "the number one couple" or that they were having issues?  Or the perpetual "I hate Sheldon being mean to Leonard" (which he was not doing, BTW) or what?

I wonder sometimes what it is that people want from the show.  I thought it was very funny and very sweet between L/P. If they're having doubts, or if Penny is a little thrown by the discussion about the relationships, Leonard was able to console and encourage her.  Shamy were happy with each other.  Howard's story was very funny (and how out of character would it have been for him to suddenly become some kind of real athlete?)

So what was the beef?  That the characters were in character?  That no one had sex?  That Penny's hair was short?

• Like 8

Well mainly a general feeling that the shows aren't funny anymore and everything feels forced. Also many people hated the ending and felt it was drawn out for no reason they didn't like how Howard was booed and why couldn't he have built something cool to throw the ball? Also the characters are too mean now and mainly the writing is lazy.

• Like 1

So what were they griping about--that Leonard and Penny weren't "the number one couple" or that they were having issues?  Or the perpetual "I hate Sheldon being mean to Leonard" (which he was not doing, BTW) or what?

I wonder sometimes what it is that people want from the show.  I thought it was very funny and very sweet between L/P. If they're having doubts, or if Penny is a little thrown by the discussion about the relationships, Leonard was able to console and encourage her.  Shamy were happy with each other.  Howard's story was very funny (and how out of character would it have been for him to suddenly become some kind of real athlete?)

So what was the beef?  That the characters were in character?  That no one had sex?  That Penny's hair was short?

It was an okay episode, but these first three episodes have shown us that the writers are running out of jokes, they are actually using several jokes from earlier episodes again.

And yes, Penny's new haircut is the worst thing about this new season (and that says alot).

Well mainly a general feeling that the shows aren't funny anymore and everything feels forced. Also many people hated the ending and felt it was drawn out for no reason they didn't like how Howard was booed and why couldn't he have built something cool to throw the ball? Also the characters are too mean now and mainly the writing is lazy.

Exactly, Howard is suppose to be an smart engineer, but he can't even build a robot that throws a freaking ball?

• Like 1

Also they're searching for justification for $1m salaries.

• Like 1

I loved Howard's story line. I was cracking up when he was practicing in the gym with Bernie and Raj. However, I agree with the majority that the tag was dragged on too long. After Raj And Sheldon heckled him, that should have been it. The joke was done.

As far as anyone being mean, I don't necessarily think that was the case. Sheldon wasn't being mean to Leonard. Leonard decided to embark on a quest to prove that he and Penny are a better couple, while making fun of pretty much everything Shamy does in the process. So, who was being mean here?

In the end, both couples were happy so I don't know what the big deal is.

I think the writers are spying on us and wrote this episode so they could watch us all argue. Sarcasm.

• Like 3

well....I don't consider Facebook users as critics....But, BBT has never been "critically" acclaimed for its writing...(sad, because I do think its amazing).  This is why they rarely win (outside of Jim) awards (aside from People's Choice and such)

Friends experienced the same thing after they got their healthy bump and critics were trying to justify the salaries.  Well ratings don't lie...and if the viewers continue to tune in, then that is plenty of justification for their salaries. 

Also, I personally found season 7 very strong...and they are coming off a more heavy drama filled finale coupled with the raises....so a lot of people are almost looking for reasons to dislike it. (if that makes sense).

Its only the 3rd episode....we will see where it goes...But I don't forsee a ratings decline to be concerned with.

I agree with everything you wrote. I enjoyed the Episode and though it was Very Funny especially the Howard storyline. None of them were out of character I tohught and did not think any of it was forced I thought it was better then 801 but not better then 802.  

Honestly some Peoples are way to picky and the Writers will never be able to win and please everyone because everyone want something different and want it to cater the way they want it too which is not possible. I suggest then they became a writer and get a job on the show which will be very hard to do. Some (Especially on IMDB and Facebook) Are always going to complain. Maybe they should quite watching then. Some are already saying this season suck when only 3 episodes have aired which i find kind of funny. I don't judge whether I like a Season or not when only three Episodes have aired. I save my Judgment for when the season is over. All of them episodes that have aired have been funny and so far  along with the Tapping Reports that been released so far I am enjoying this season . I thought Episode 1 was Fine but maybe could have been a little better but was mostly a solid start I thought, Episode 2 was Great and Episode 3 was very Good. Episode 5 which hasn't aired yet is going to be very Funny from what I read and will be my Favorite so far after it airs.  

Overall I think the show is off to a  good start. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan

Well, if the reasons y'all are mentioning are what people are griping about, then I think they're mostly stupid.

First of all, how does Kaley's haircut even play a part in whether or not the show is still good, or if any particular episode is good?  It's not part of any storyline, it's not doing Kaley's acting for her, it hasn't changed Kaley's acting at all.  It's no more relevant to the quality of the show than the color of anyone's dress or shirt or shoes or whatever.  And if people are saying they're not going to watch until her hair grows back, well, they might as well hold their breath until their faces turn blue because it makes about as much sense.  Are they watching just to see Kaley swing her long hair around?  Unfathomable.

I don't think that Howard being a smart engineer has anything to do with what he decided to do with the pitch.  Since it was a NASA thing, he wanted to use something from NASA--the Mars Rover.  That he didn't think about how slow it was is just like someone wanting to be funny and not knowing how to tell a joke.  He thought he was being cool, but in the end, he was still nerdy Wolowitz.  The audience thought it was cool to see the Mars Rover, until they realized it wasn't like a movie robot.  And that's kind of typical.

While the tag may have been a little longer than it might have been, I don't think that's a big deal in terms of the quality of the episode.  It's little more than a quibble.

And all this crap about their salaries is just crap.  As I've said before, not a single viewer out there is paying a penny for their salaries, no matter how much they're making.  It's about WB making money off of their work.  Would they have liked the first 3 episodes better if none of the actors had gotten a raise?  Would that suddenly make the jokes funnier or the acting better?  People who are looking for some "justification" of the big salaries are just being stupid.

Do they go around justifying their own salaries? 

I don't think the writers are running out of jokes.  I haven't sensed anything stale or rehashed in these episodes.  Yes, we've seen Sheldon in his underwear, yes, we know Penny isn't a genius, yes, Howard isn't athletic.

But these are things that are always going to be true, always going to happen, just in new ways, in different settings and scenarios and for different reasons.

As the writers have said, these characters grow in tiny increments.  They're not going to all of a sudden overcome their nerdiness, their outsider sensibilities, etc..  They are who they are and it's just a matter of seeing how they cope in different situations.

I didn't find these three episodes repetitive or rehashed.

• Like 7

So from reading some of the comments on Facebook and the like, the problem with this episode is that people didn't like that they didn't give Howard a win here in the tag with the Mar's Rover.  I can understand that.  The other problem of course is that Kaley Cuoco's haircut is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to scripted television and people just can't bring themselves to enjoy the show now that she has committed this travesty.  I just don't understand the continued outrage over a freakin haircut.  I think it says a lot about the people who are complaining if they let a haircut ruin the whole show for them.  I am so tired of reading those comments.  I can understand not liking the cut (although I think it's cute) but to let it ruin your enjoyment of the show itself is just ridiculous.  

• Like 3

So from reading some of the comments on Facebook and the like, the problem with this episode is that people didn't like that they didn't give Howard a win here in the tag with the Mar's Rover.  I can understand that.  The other problem of course is that Kaley Cuoco's haircut is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to scripted television and people just can't bring themselves to enjoy the show now that she has committed this travesty.  I just don't understand the continued outrage over a freakin haircut.  I think it says a lot about the people who are complaining if they let a haircut ruin the whole show for them.  I am so tired of reading those comments.  I can understand not liking the cut (although I think it's cute) but to let it ruin your enjoyment of the show itself is just ridiculous.  

People are stupid.

• Like 1