The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

803 The First Pitch Insufficiency (September 29)

Your Episode Rating  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
  2. 2. Who has the best relationship?

• Sheldon & Amy
    • Howard & Bernadette
    • Raj & his girlfriend
    • Penny & chardonnay
    • Penny & Leonard

I don't think the writers are running out of jokes.  I haven't sensed anything stale or rehashed in these episodes.  Yes, we've seen Sheldon in his underwear, yes, we know Penny isn't a genius, yes, Howard isn't athletic.

But these are things that are always going to be true, always going to happen, just in new ways, in different settings and scenarios and for different reasons.

They are actually using the same jokes/comments, word for word.

They have been doing this for a while now.

Last season (don't know which episode from heart) we hear Leonard say: I think we are zeroing in on your problem. He has used that precise phrase before, at least once.

This episode, we hear Penny say "That's hot" regarding Shamy, which she has done before as well.

Maybe it's just me, but things like that bother me.

• Like 1

I liked this show. It reconfirmed my biases and ended cleverly, not with a truckload of sugar. A palpable risk. Yay. And for all my admitted nostalgia for physicality in the relationships (the absence strikes me as so inorganic) the L/P issue was genuine and it's resolution was heartening. I enjoyed the sentiments expressed about sport. Sheldon made good suggestions for an entertaining alternative. I like the hair too, but how it is an problem escapes me. They are doing ok by me, considering the show is now in late middle age, except for one issue that I don't understand (the physicality) and two characters (Sheldon and Raj) that are integral to the show as they are and that aren't going to change. I do hope for more spikes of joy as we move forward and I'm sure they will be there - between the other bits.

• Like 1

So from reading some of the comments on Facebook and the like, the problem with this episode is that people didn't like that they didn't give Howard a win here in the tag with the Mar's Rover.  I can understand that.  The other problem of course is that Kaley Cuoco's haircut is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to scripted television and people just can't bring themselves to enjoy the show now that she has committed this travesty.  I just don't understand the continued outrage over a freakin haircut.  I think it says a lot about the people who are complaining if they let a haircut ruin the whole show for them.  I am so tired of reading those comments.  I can understand not liking the cut (although I think it's cute) but to let it ruin your enjoyment of the show itself is just ridiculous.  

My mom and stepfather watch casually. When my they came over this weekend, they would not shut up about Kaley's hair. My mom can be quite a snob so naturally she's not watching anymore because she "can't look at it"

I agree, it's stupid. But I think a lot of casual viewers who aren't "invested" consider it a dealbreaker.

• Like 2

I actually agree some with the criticisms. The ending last night was lazy; I will give them that. Also what was the point of sending Sheldon on the train trip? All of that build up for nothing. I feel they have missed so many opportunities for funny, creative story lines with these characters. They were sitting on a goldmine back in seasons 4 and 5 with the shamy. But we are still waiting and wondering. Sometimes they do something good but end up being inconsistent with the storylines and characters. I still like the show but not like I used to. I agree with the "stupid" people on Facebook that the laughs arent there anymore. Sorry If I'm Being Too Negative. It's just a shame that they haven't done more with what they have.

• Like 2

So from reading some of the comments on Facebook and the like, the problem with this episode is that people didn't like that they didn't give Howard a win here in the tag with the Mar's Rover.  I can understand that.  The other problem of course is that Kaley Cuoco's haircut is apparently the worst thing to ever happen to scripted television and people just can't bring themselves to enjoy the show now that she has committed this travesty.  I just don't understand the continued outrage over a freakin haircut.  I think it says a lot about the people who are complaining if they let a haircut ruin the whole show for them.  I am so tired of reading those comments.  I can understand not liking the cut (although I think it's cute) but to let it ruin your enjoyment of the show itself is just ridiculous.  

It's amusing to think people were watching TBBT just for Penny's hair :icon_rolleyes: I liked the long hair better, but Penny's new cut works well for her new business job.

Edited by luke

Well...I heard somebody on a youtube review say they hope the hair doesn't do what happened to Felicity....I personally don't mind the hair, but it does change the character a little bit....But general viewers might be more uncomfortable with it.  Plus, it wasn't a gradual change like the "rachel" on Friends. It was a drastic change...

but we'll see... I don't think it will make the show go downhill...that would be silly

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 2

It's weird these reactions. Can you imagine, for example, in the "real life" people tell their friends/wife/husband/boyfriends/girlfriend who changed haircut "I don't like your haircut, I don't want to see you anymore" :D
Unthinkable. So why stop watching a show just for that ?

But I could understand people who might not like the evolution of the show and evolution of the characters in the stories, not physically. if they find that is less funny, too romantic relationships, etc... (even if it is not my opinion)
Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 2

Well...I heard somebody on a youtube review say they hope the hair doesn't do what happened to Felicity....I personally don't mind the hair, but it does change the character a little bit....But general viewers might be more uncomfortable with it.  Plus, it wasn't a gradual change like the "rachel" on Friends. It was a drastic change...

but we'll see... I don't think it will make the show go downhill...that would be silly

It was good timing for the new look though, as Penny has left the life of a waitress/struggling actress to start a job where she will have more money and responsibilities and she is engaged now, which settles down her personal life - the cut is a new look for a more 'grown up' Penny, so it does works for me.

• Like 1

Some are even calling her a dude & there jokes like who leonard new boyfriend & Where's penny. Sad.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Some are even calling her a dude & there jokes like who leonard new boyfriend & Where's penny. Sad.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes, they know they are being superficial and mean. It's unlikely anything substantial will come of this. Wait... I hear the towers of civilisation toppling. ....No, that was something else. The slow hiss of escaping CO2 and methane. LOL

• Like 2

They are actually using the same jokes/comments, word for word.

They have been doing this for a while now.

Last season (don't know which episode from heart) we hear Leonard say: I think we are zeroing in on your problem. He has used that precise phrase before, at least once.

This episode, we hear Penny say "That's hot" regarding Shamy, which she has done before as well.

Maybe it's just me, but things like that bother me.

Penny's "That's so hot" reaction isn't repetitive, it's her way of poking fun at what Sheldon and Amy find romantic.  Yeah, she's said it before, but a lot of people have words or phrases that they use often as a reaction to something like that.  Do you never repeat anything you've said, especially as a punchline?

It's similar to how Sheldon used to use "Bazinga".  In his case, to say "gotcha!" and in this case, Penny is using that sarcasm to poke fun.  How is it repetitive?

To me, that's not repetitive, that's kind of like her trademark reaction to the Shamy's nerdy brand of romance.

I think that in real life, people have certain phrases or words they use as common reactions to certain kinds of situations or comments or whatever.  To me, that's all Penny's comment, and really Leonard's phrase, too, are--a matter of typical or trademark reactions to what they see as absurd.

You must live in a magical kingdom if no one around you ever says something more than once.

• Like 7

People are stupid.

You are people right?? Or are you from another planet.

Calling people stupid because they have trouble with some aspects of a fictional TV show tells a lot more about you than the people who you are labelling as stupid.

Penny's hair is a drastic change, and considering she was often referred to as the hot blonde across the hall, it might be odd for some people to see her with her new hair do. And they might stop seeing the show because of that , but that does not make people stupid.

• Like 1

You are people right?? Or are you from another planet.

Calling people stupid because they have trouble with some aspects of a fictional TV show tells a lot more about you than the people who you are labelling as stupid.

Penny's hair is a drastic change, and considering she was often referred to as the hot blonde across the hall, it might be odd for some people to see her with her new hair do. And they might stop seeing the show because of that , but that does not make people stupid.

Obviously I mean the "great unwashed".  It's a common phrase of disdain for the masses of people who are so shallow that they're thrown off by someone cutting their hair.  As someone said above, do they do the same thing with their friends and neighbors?

It's like on Bonanza and other old westerns where they apparently thought that if each of the Cartwrights wore a different costume that the viewers wouldn't know which was which...

It is stupid to assume that a change in haircut would suddenly make Kaley Cuocco-Sweeting somehow less hot or make her character different than she was before.  Was her long hair the only measure of her hotness?  If so, that is indeed stupid.

So, if Leonard stops wearing his hoodie jackets are they going to quit watching?  Or if Howard cuts his hair or Raj stops wearing sweater vests?

It's stupid to measure the quality of the show by saying that since Kaley/Penny cut her hair, she's no longer the "hot blonde across the hall" and therefore the whole premise and quality of the show is going to come tumbling down.

The show is much more than the length of Penny's hair and the show is much more than simply the nerdy guys with the hot blonde across the hall.  That may have been how it started in the pilot, but ever since the pilot the show has become more than just that.  Penny has much more going on than just being the "hot blonde" and if people can only see her as some girl with long hair and boobs, then they are indeed stupid.

• Like 3

Obviously I mean the "great unwashed".  It's a common phrase of disdain for the masses of people who are so shallow that they're thrown off by someone cutting their hair.  As someone said above, do they do the same thing with their friends and neighbors?

It's like on Bonanza and other old westerns where they apparently thought that if each of the Cartwrights wore a different costume that the viewers wouldn't know which was which...

It is stupid to assume that a change in haircut would suddenly make Kaley Cuocco-Sweeting somehow less hot or make her character different than she was before.  Was her long hair the only measure of her hotness?  If so, that is indeed stupid.

So, if Leonard stops wearing his hoodie jackets are they going to quit watching?  Or if Howard cuts his hair or Raj stops wearing sweater vests?

It's stupid to measure the quality of the show by saying that since Kaley/Penny cut her hair, she's no longer the "hot blonde across the hall" and therefore the whole premise and quality of the show is going to come tumbling down.

The show is much more than the length of Penny's hair and the show is much more than simply the nerdy guys with the hot blonde across the hall.  That may have been how it started in the pilot, but ever since the pilot the show has become more than just that.  Penny has much more going on than just being the "hot blonde" and if people can only see her as some girl with long hair and boobs, then they are indeed stupid.

Its their wish and their opinions on a tv show. But calling people stupid for having an opinion which you don't agree with is frankly idiotic.

Edited by ATM
  • Like 2

Its their wish and their opinions. But calling people stupid is frankly idiotic.

No it's not.  One can look at something that people do or say and declare it stupid, even if it's their "opinion" or preference.  There is such a thing as stupidity that is applied in many areas.  Judging a TV show by the length of a character/actor's hair is stupid.  Try applying that judgement to any other show.  Does it ruin a show if a character changes their hair or their style of clothing?  If it doesn't change their personality--and it hasn't changed Penny's personality--then how does it affect the show?

If it doesn't affect the show, or the quality of the writing or acting, then claiming that the show is ruined because Kaley cut her hair is indeed stupid.

Whether or not they like the length of her hair is a separate issue from saying that the show is ruined because of her haircut.  That's the issue I was addressing, not whether or not someone likes long or short hair.  But to judge the quality of a show based on someone's hair (and to say you're not going to watch until it grows back) is not opinion, it's simply stupid behavior.

• Like 1

No it's not.  One can look at something that people do or say and declare it stupid, even if it's their "opinion" or preference.  There is such a thing as stupidity that is applied in many areas.  Judging a TV show by the length of a character/actor's hair is stupid.  Try applying that judgement to any other show.  Does it ruin a show if a character changes their hair or their style of clothing?  If it doesn't change their personality--and it hasn't changed Penny's personality--then how does it affect the show?

If it doesn't affect the show, or the quality of the writing or acting, then claiming that the show is ruined because Kaley cut her hair is indeed stupid.

Whether or not they like the length of her hair is a separate issue from saying that the show is ruined because of her haircut.  That's the issue I was addressing, not whether or not someone likes long or short hair.  But to judge the quality of a show based on someone's hair (and to say you're not going to watch until it grows back) is not opinion, it's simply stupid behavior.

And judging people based on their reactions a fictional tv show is great. Bravo , putting you on my ignore list.

You are people right?? Or are you from another planet.Calling people stupid because they have trouble with some aspects of a fictional TV show tells a lot more about you than the people who you are labelling as stupid.Penny's hair is a drastic change, and considering she was often referred to as the hot blonde across the hall, it might be odd for some people to see her with her new hair do. And they might stop seeing the show because of that , but that does not make people stupid.

Its their wish and their opinions on a tv show. But calling people stupid for having an opinion which you don't agree with is frankly idiotic.

Don't you know at this point some people's opinions are more important than others? it seems to me you and people on facebook can't have opinions. if I had called people stupid on here I would be accused of bashing. Oh I forgot I'm not a Shamy worshiper.

Don't you know at this point some people's opinions are more important than others?

Do you have specific example of this?

it seems to me you and people on facebook can't have opinions.

and it seems you don't want allow people here to have opinions about other people's opinions. State your opinions all you want, but others have the right to disagree with your opinions.

if I had called people stupid on here I would be accused of bashing. Oh I forgot I'm not a Shamy worshiper.

I'm not a Shamy shipper either, what's your point?  Phantagrae did not bash a specific group or a specific individual.  If you had called specific groups or individuals stupid, that would be bashing.

• Like 4

Don't you know at this point some people's opinions are more important than others? it seems to me you and people on facebook can't have opinions. if I had called people stupid on here I would be accused of bashing. Oh I forgot I'm not a Shamy worshiper.

What does calling out people who judge the show based on Kaley's haircut have to do with being a Shamy shipper?

And it also doesn't have to do with anyone's opinions being more important than others.  If ATM thinks that the show is ruined because Kaley cut her hair, ATM never said that.

I said that people who can only see something like a haircut as the way to judge whether or not a show is still good are stupid.  Foolish, shallow, knuckleheaded, whatever.

Having an opinion on whether or not Kaley looks good with short hair is a SEPARATE ISSUE from whether or not her haircut ruins the show.

Surely you don't think that her haircut has destroyed the show.  I mean, really.  Of all the things you complain about, is her haircut really a quality criteria?

I wasn't calling anyone here stupid--unless someone here wants to admit that they only thing they judge the show by is her hair.

We were talking about all these people out there who were not going to watch the show until she grows her hair out again, or who were saying the show is going to tank and isn't funny BECAUSE OF HER HAIR.

If anyone wants to put on that particular shoe, that's not my fault.

• Like 3

I blame the writers ( and possibly Kaley's hairdresser - not sure yet) for this threads current mess. If they did a better job with this episode we would be commenting on the episode instead of spending the last two pages complaining about the complaining about complaining. Time out?

• Like 1

Since this is a fictonal TELEVISION show, I think that we can all assume that the presonal appearance of the actors is a large factor in the show's success.   If because of a change in the "hot girls" hair, some people no longer find her looks "hot", then it is a matter of taste and has nothing to do with intelligence.   Frankly atacking people's intellect over a common network comedy is asinine.   If any of us were geniuses we wouldn't be watching this show.

• Like 1