The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I think the tag scene was supposed to be the irony of the guys lamenting loosing out on owning a comic store where they could peacefully read their comic books, while they were peacefully reading their comic books in the apartment - I think it would be more that they would have a place to enjoy their comic books peacefully without having to hear their partners saying how childish they are :wink: - I hope they do get to own the comic book store some day.

I agree about the meaning/tone of the tag--it wasn't supposed to be a "big" punchline, but simply a moment of irony.

But I don't think the guys were ever going to actually own the comic book store.  Just like they were never going to win the robot battle against Kripke.

It was something to consider, sort of a dream, but if they had become owners, there would be too much involved in that ongoing issue.

I do wonder how they're going to bring it back and what it's going to look like, etc.

I think the tag scene was supposed to be the irony of the guys lamenting loosing out on owning a comic store where they could peacefully read their comic books, while they were peacefully reading their comic books in the apartment - I think it would be more that they would have a place to enjoy their comic books peacefully without having to hear their partners saying how childish they are :wink: - I hope they do get to own the comic book store some day.

I understood the scene, Luke. I just found it really flat.

djsurrey, Tensor, I'm amazed that you guys are still picking the flesh off of this poor, dead horse.

I personally don't think that Emily's dislike for Penny had anything at all to do with any kind of assessment of Penny's job skills.  Nowhere in the episode is it ever implied or suggested that that was why Emily had a problem with her.  Emily didn't mention Penny's job performance AT ALL when explaining why she had a problem with Penny.

If the writers wanted to have that be part of the reason, then they would have put those words in Emily's mouth at some point.  Since the characters don't think or feel anything other than what the writers put in the script, then I don't think one can argue, education and job experiences aside, that Emily was judging Penny on her presentation.

The subtext made it clear--to me, anyway--that Emily had only agreed to let Penny come and do her spiel out of courtesy, but then by the time Penny came by the office, Emily was pointedly ignoring her.

Now, we might find out further down the road that Penny's charm might only get her so far down the road as a sales rep, but that was not at all the issue in the episode.

Emily's issue was solely the Raj thing--made worse once she realized how pretty Penny is in "real life", making her feel a little threatened.

To me, that's the only thing going on between them.  It has ZERO to do with job performance.

IMO

• Like 2

I guess Emily was supposed to say she hated Penny in front of the whole group, in her office, or in front of Raj in Penny's apartment. IMO her job qualifications for sales rep means nothing. Emily couldn't of cared less what Penny had to say about the product in her office. Again I have to agree with phanta here.

I think Emily stated she had a problem with Penny because of the hook-up. It was only after meeting Penny three times that Emily actually said she hated Penny.

Splitting hairs.

• Like 1

Phanta, I agree with you. Emily was obviously less than enthusiastic meeting Penny at the apartment, she all but ignored Penny at her office, before Penny even started. She then specifically stated she had a problem with her because of the hookup. Not sure how it could be anything else.

• Like 2

That is why a breakup I think would help. Sheldon needs to change and I think he needs to find out that you don't know what you got till its gone. Amy is friends with the girls so she will still be around, but with Leonard and Penny spending all their time together, how will Sheldon like truly being alone, when everyone has something to do, will be like that change?

I have to wonder if they are setting up where Amy does get fed up and send a termination for the relationship agreement.  I don't think it will be a long breakup, maybe long enough to where something happens with Amy (i.e. car accident or something that makes Sheldon scared to death he will lose her permanently) and he works to get her back and show he really cares.  I like the slow ride, but I have a feeling this is where the storyline is going.

The only way we will find out if Penny is successful is when we find out how many drugs she sells.   This was a "practice".    We have no idea how much training she has already had, and we have no idea how much practice she has had.   It could very well be that because of her looks she does well with male Doctors.   If that be the case, SO WHAT?   Her job will be to sell drugs, if  she does that well because of her looks I doubt if the company she works for will be upset.  This whole disagreement seems a bit ludicrous to me.   Wait and see what happens...... By the way, Raj's girlfriend didn't like Penny before she walked into her office.  Penny was screwed from the get go.

• Like 4

The only way we will find out if Penny is successful is when we find out how many drugs she sells.   This was a "practice".    We have no idea how much training she has already had, and we have no idea how much practice she has had.   It could very well be that because of her looks she does well with male Doctors.   If that be the case, SO WHAT?   Her job will be to sell drugs, if  she does that well because of her looks I doubt if the company she works for will be upset.  This whole disagreement seems a bit ludicrous to me.   Wait and see what happens...... By the way, Raj's girlfriend didn't like Penny before she walked into her office.  Penny was screwed from the get go.

But wasn't this career move also something to show that she has grown as a person? If she can live with the fact that she really is a dumb blond, skating by only on her looks, she might as well stayed at the cheesecake factory.

I'm just really hoping that this new job wont interfere with her acting dream. Penny's dream this whole time is to be an actress. I think it would be sad if new job is used to show her growth, by giving  up her dream.  Now if within the new job her acting is used to sell stuff, I would be OK with. She is still using her training and what she loves within this new job. Yes it is slightly deceitful, but that is the sales profession really. You have to sell what your selling.

Edited by EvilStewie

like that the guys would be part owners of

the comic book store, o'well.

bernie was going to give up saving for a house

to give money to stuart. but debbie gave him the

money ,was great to see howard run up stairs to stop 

the check from cashing it.

do not mine penny vs. emily for a while.

if raj was a dick, sheldon as to be ass the way

he used amy in ra to gets his away, he back

her into a corner to say ok. is that why we got

a little creepy amy from season#5 move on

penny

The Big Bang Theory Season 8 Episode 4: 'The Hook-Up Reverberation' Review

A classic Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj story made for an enjoyable outing but the Penny/Emily storyline let the episode down.

The episode just felt like it was trying to cram a little too much in for me- we could have done with more time at the beginning to see Emily a little more hostile towards Penny on their first meeting, and the bits with the guys towards the start felt a little rushed too.

As usual, it was the Sheldon storyline which provided most of the laughs, but it did seem a little strange to me to have Howard complaining about Stuart and Debbie one minute and then contemplating going into business with Stuart the next minute. That aside, this was a funny storyline with plenty of clever and humourous character beats.

The Penny/Emily storyline was a little weaker, perhaps due to the lack of time it was given or perhaps due to Emily not being that likeable a character. I don't know if we're meant to be on the fence when Penny and Emily are having a fight, but I'm totally with Penny on this one, and I'm not sure if that was the way it was meant to come across. It's made me sure that Raj and Emily are definitely not the endgame- I can't see Emily lasting beyond this season, actually.

Johnny Galecki once again had very little to do in this episode- I think he must have had the least lines out of any of the main cast- and I don't think this supporting character role particularly suits him. He needs to be the star or one of the leads to really shine as an actor. Still, he is part of what is becoming increasingly an ensemble cast, so I suppose we'll have to get used to seeing him side-lined in favour of other characters and other plots.

Best Line: Amy: 'I'm with him three years, nothing. She's with him two minutes and he's taking his pants off.'

Performance of the Week: Mayim Bialik. Her comic timing was exceptional in this episode.

Score: 7/10.

Edited by Stewie99
  • Like 1

Emily hates Penny because Raj boasted of having had an affair with Penny to make himself seem a stud. What bothers me is that Penny didn't try to punish Raj. This often happens - she's unbelievably kind and forgiving to her friends however shitty they are. OK, she's the heroine, she's meant to be lovable, I love her, but she shouldn't be a sexy saint. In this case instead of almost apologising to Emily she could have told everyone that one evening she was sad and drunk in her own home and confided in Raj who she thought was her friend. Raj tried to take advantage to have sex with her, even though she was too drunk to consent. (What do they call that in California, btw?). Nothing happened because Raj failed physically. Actually, was Raj's behaviour in 4/24 supposed to be funny?

I'd also like to see Penny go incredible hulk on creepy Amy, who is not her friend but just wants to possess Penny as a trophy best friend.

Wrt Penny as sales rep, she spent the first 7 season's failing to sell a product she believed in passionately, namely herself as an actress. But if the writers make her successful I won't mind.

• Like 2

Jeez man... I don't even know what are you talking about... They were both drunk, this happens, no one took advantage of anyone. She's not some  saint, you can love her big time, but that doesn't change the fact, she has her faults too, as everyone on this show. No one here is saint. And Penny and Amy are friends, it's mutual. They have fun together, sharing their problems, I don't see anything weird about their friendship. Maybe in early seasons, but now, they are just good friends along with Bernie. And she had some success even in her acting. You can be good in a bad movie too. She was amazing in the play, Shamy and Leonard came to see. And she can still be great actress, we still have three years, but I think this job fits her better.

Just an opinion 

Penny would be a more enjoyable character if she went junior rodeo on the guys when they deserve it as Raj did here. It was great in 2/12 when she made Howard crawl home and stay in bed. Also the writers have been too kind to Raj - we need to see him made to wet himself again.

Amy is not a real friend - didn't you see 8/2 where she tried to turn Bernadette against Penny and vice versa? She's poison. I suppose it's supposed to be funny a 30-something professional woman behaving like a nasty schoolgirl but I don't laugh.

Penny would be a more enjoyable character if she went junior rodeo on the guys when they deserve it as Raj did here. It was great in 2/12 when she made Howard crawl home and stay in bed. Also the writers have been too kind to Raj - we need to see him made to wet himself again.

Amy is not a real friend - didn't you see 8/2 where she tried to turn Bernadette against Penny and vice versa? She's poison. I suppose it's supposed to be funny a 30-something professional woman behaving like a nasty schoolgirl but I don't laugh.

I predict that you're going to be really unhappy with the rest of the series, then. You might as well stop watching now because it's only going to make you miserable.

Johnny Galecki once again had very little to do in this episode- I think he must have had the least lines out of any of the main cast- and I don't think this supporting character role particularly suits him. He needs to be the star or one of the leads to really shine as an actor. Still, he is part of what is becoming increasingly an ensemble cast, so I suppose we'll have to get used to seeing him side-lined in favour of other characters and other plots.

Leonard clearly just has become a supporting character in the past few seasons. The last episode which I can think of that focussed on him as a character was back in season 5 ,if I remember correctly.

Which episode was that?

I don't remember the name properly. It was the one where he asks out Penny again .

Which episode was that?

Recombination episode which is Leonard dreaming the whole episode

Yeah that one..

The last leoanrd plot  lol....

he is just a boring dull supporting character these days....lol

Edited by ATM

We have had seven seasons of Penny demonstrating she has no science foundation. The first Proton episode perhaps even overstated it.

I recall Penny's remarks in Leonard's lab

"high techy techy".

You think a course from the pharmaceutical company is going to give Penny an "in-depth understanding of complex health sciences like biotechnology". I don't think that is plausible.

I think some memorization would be important but you really are missing the point. In a one on one situation one needs to think on their feet and have a conversation far more than make a presentation. One would need to be able to tailor what is presented to the specific needs of who you are talking to.

Those two examples above were used to exaggerate Penny's lack of intelligence.  You might as well use the Raj-Howard gay jokes to "prove" they have feelings for each other.

They've shown that Penny has recalled scientific knowledge from the boys before, and that when she's motivated she can memorize things, and perform them in a compelling way (such as her performance in "A streetcar named desire")

Actually as the son of a director of nursing to a nursing home who deals with this daily, my mother can assure you getting into thinking on your feet rarely happens.  Most of the times all they usually ask for is information as it pertains to the product.

Also most Pharmaceutical companies look for job seekers with a degree for two reasons, 1.) They would have a safety net of knowledge to fall back on, in case of said situations.  2.) To maintain a professional image.  With more emphasis on #2.  Getting a degree, is not a requirement to understand what a product is supposed to do, majority of the time it is up to the company to make sure it provides it's sales reps with the information for possible contingency's.

Though to be fair my mother DOES find it suspect that Penny would be #3 in sales (even though we don't know HOW MANY sales reps there are)

Interesting point.I did not find her so cold at the apartment. She was less enthusiastic than when she said hello to Leonard. We did not hear the word hate until after the talk at Emilie's office. That was after Penny had said they had not hooked up and then on more questioning admitted they had. Also in the office Penny failed to ask any relevant questions about what Emily needed pharmaceutically as a dermatologist. I think it quit fair to believe Emily would think that Penny was just waisting her time. I can't prove she believed that but it seems plausible to me.

It would be plausible IF Emily had exhibited anything resembling that as a character, all your doing is applying your own subtext to a character.  Also Penny made clear that Emily had been giving her the cold shoulder ever since at the apartment.  That was BEFORE the practice run with Emily was setup or that she knew Penny was a sales rep.

As far as the episode goes it's not terribly funny nor was it compelling.  I'm surprised alot of people here hated Penny's characterization here.  I actually sided with her on this, whatever Penny did with Raj is in the past.  And that whatever she found out about her FROM Raj, is on Raj himself.  Penny has nothing to do with him glamorizing his past flings or "flings".

Unless something comes up later where we could understand why Emily would act like this towards Penny, this episode made me think of Emily as a judgemental bitch, and made me want to see less of her.