Jump to content

804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)


Tripper
 Share

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

  1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

    • Excellent
      3
    • Very Good
      9
    • Good
      29
    • Okay
      28
    • Bad
      14
    • Very Bad
      7


Recommended Posts

Those two examples above were used to exaggerate Penny's lack of intelligence.  You might as well use the Raj-Howard gay jokes to "prove" they have feelings for each other.

 

They've shown that Penny has recalled scientific knowledge from the boys before, and that when she's motivated she can memorize things, and perform them in a compelling way (such as her performance in "A streetcar named desire")

 

[snip]

 

You may well be making valid points in your post. It has been a long time since I saw that episode. I was hoping that someone who new something about pharmaceutical reps would speak up so thank you for that.

 

Still regarding the part I highlighted I think you are wrong.

  1. Penny is not written as lacking intelligence. Penny has always been  written as uninterested in science.
  2. As far as Raj-Howard the writers made their relationship somewhat ambiguous for a while for some jokes. There was no ambiguity in Penny's lack of interest in science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You may well be making valid points in your post. It has been a long time since I saw that episode. I was hoping that someone who new something about pharmaceutical reps would speak up so thank you for that.

 

Still regarding the part I highlighted I think you are wrong.

  1. Penny is not written as lacking intelligence. Penny has always been  written as uninterested in science.
  2. As far as Raj-Howard the writers made their relationship somewhat ambiguous for a while for some jokes. There was no ambiguity in Penny's lack of interest in science.

 

 

And I was uninterested in being a cook for a nursing home before it happened, There are other things I want to do with my life beside cook meals for the elderly, but I've found out that I'm not bad at it.  And that it pays the bills in this economy where job guarantees are anything but.  Just because your not interested in something doesn't mean your not capable of using it or understanding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I was uninterested in being a cook for a nursing home before it happened, There are other things I want to do with my life beside cook meals for the elderly, but I've found out that I'm not bad at it.  And that it pays the bills in this economy where job guarantees are anything but.  Just because your not interested in something doesn't mean your not capable of using it or understanding it.

 

I see you have a point.

I believe people tend to excel at something the have a passion for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I was rewatching this episode recently and thinking why is Raj such a douche. He is a character without substance and is not a good friend to Leonard. Why did he have to tell Emily about his night with Penny except to brag about it and then not even tell  her the truth. And I thought Penny should have told Emily the truth when she was questioning her about their dalliance. What harm would it have done at that point as it seemed everyone knew they did not have intercourse. I felt  the writers glossed over this as they never had a scene where Penny tells Leonard the whole story as they were engaged and he deserved to know. I feel when Penny confronts Raj about his telling Emily Leonard should have spoken up and let Raj know to stop bragging about how he bedded Penny as they were engaged and he did not want to hear that story any longer. But Raj always seem to have an underlying motive to cause a rift between Penny and Leonard in the hopes he might try again with her. One other observation I made was when Penny told the girls "so what if Raj and I slept together, everyone has a past" I think if they actually did sleep together I doubt Leonard would have gone back with Penny and their relationship would have dissolved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I was rewatching this episode recently and thinking why is Raj such a douche. He is a character without substance and is not a good friend to Leonard. Why did he have to tell Emily about his night with Penny except to brag about it and then not even tell  her the truth. And I thought Penny should have told Emily the truth when she was questioning her about their dalliance. What harm would it have done at that point as it seemed everyone knew they did not have intercourse. I felt  the writers glossed over this as they never had a scene where Penny tells Leonard the whole story as they were engaged and he deserved to know. I feel when Penny confronts Raj about his telling Emily Leonard should have spoken up and let Raj know to stop bragging about how he bedded Penny as they were engaged and he did not want to hear that story any longer. But Raj always seem to have an underlying motive to cause a rift between Penny and Leonard in the hopes he might try again with her. One other observation I made was when Penny told the girls "so what if Raj and I slept together, everyone has a past" I think if they actually did sleep together I doubt Leonard would have gone back with Penny and their relationship would have dissolved

That episode cemented my opinion that Raj was an ass. I disliked the Penny/Raj drunken hook-up mostly because it served no purpose really  but to learn that Raj was still using that non-event just to brag ( "I tell everybody ") made me mad even more so because we saw Penny and Raj have genuine frienship moments after that hookup and i was thinking it was nice they put that behind them, you know , water under the bridge. 

Regarding your last sentence , I think it would have weirded  him out for a while but he would have moved on . After all, both Penny and Raj were single. My gut tells me he would have resented Raj more than Penny though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mario D. said:

I think if they actually did sleep together I doubt Leonard would have gone back with Penny and their relationship would have dissolved

I totally agree. Raj has been a douche from the beginning. He also caused trouble between Howard and Bernadette, All his creepy dreams about Howard being hurt so he could be with Bernadette.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NeckShotLime said:

That episode cemented my opinion that Raj was an ass. I disliked the Penny/Raj drunken hook-up mostly because it served no purpose really  but to learn that Raj was still using that non-event just to brag ( "I tell everybody ") made me mad even more so because we saw Penny and Raj have genuine frienship moments after that hookup and i was thinking it was nice they put that behind them, you know , water under the bridge. 

Regarding your last sentence , I think it would have weirded  him out for a while but he would have moved on . After all, both Penny and Raj were single. My gut tells me he would have resented Raj more than Penny though. 

Leonard was a very forgiving person but I don't know if his forgiveness would have extended that far. Don't forget Penny admitted that she screwed up in breaking up with Leonard and really missed him. So Raj knew this and still went after Penny and kind of took advantage of her in her intoxicated state.  Also, I agree with you that this episode served no purpose. No one liked it, not even the cast themselves. I have heard that they were going to leave the ending that way so people would speculate if they had intercourse or not. But they got so much flack from fans that they wrote the season five premiere with Raj's explanation to Penny.

9 minutes ago, chucky said:

I totally agree. Raj has been a douche from the beginning. He also caused trouble between Howard and Bernadette, All his creepy dreams about Howard being hurt so he could be with Bernadette.  

True  He only went after his friends girls instead of getting one on his own. A distinct violation of the bro code.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading that Johnny wasn't happy at all with that  story . It doesn't surprise me, I can totally see him being very protective of the Penny character. Did Kaley ever say anything about it ? 

No idea why the writers went there in the first place. 

In a way I liked that we had some sort of explanation of what happended but the fact that Raj had a clearer recollection of the events makes me uncomfortable. Was he more aware of what was happening? Was he more in control? We'll never know. 

And as much as  I loathe that story , I can't totally be mad at Raj  because there was alcohol involved. Truth be told, I was actually more mad at Leonard at the end of season 3 when he slept with a drunk Penny when he was sober. I wish he had said no . Plus it would have been  a nice recall to that Halloween episode in the first season when he stopped her because she had too much to drink. 

Sorry I'm rambling, it's just that these stories of "drunk Penny and sex" don't always sit right with me 

Edited by NeckShotLime
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mario D. said:

He only went after his friends girls instead of getting one on his own.

He could never get the ones he dated. He always screwed up every relationship he was in.

Edited by chucky
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, chucky said:

He could never get the ones dated. He always screwed up every relationship he was in.

He was always living in fantasy land, he never learnt anything from his failed relationships , he never grew.  He brought this onto himself really. it always makes me laugh when i read on social media that it's sad he didn't get his happy ending. he might have got his happy ending if he had changed his attitude towards love and relationships. Howard , Penny and Sheldon  ( of all people !!! ) were able to do it. He was an immature obnoxious ass in season 1 and still was in season 12. Sad, really. He really needed therapy I think. 

  • Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NeckShotLime said:

 Did Kaley ever say anything about it ? 

Except to talk about how upset Johnny and Simon were, I haven't seen anything.

8 hours ago, NeckShotLime said:

No idea why the writers went there in the first place. 

Well, the writers were shipping Priya back to India.  Then,  in the latter half of the season you had Penny crying about Leonard and Priya, telling Sheldon the story about they guy she broke up with and that was even before the coffession to Raj that she screwed up.  It may have been, along with the long distance relationship, a way to keep the from starting to go out again so quickly. 

I mean it was only five episodes from his breakup with Priya, until she accepted his asking her out.  Although, it delayed it by seven episodes, so how effective was it really?  

 

8 hours ago, NeckShotLime said:

And as much as  I loathe that story , I can't totally be mad at Raj  because there was alcohol involved. Truth be told, I was actually more mad at Leonard at the end of season 3 when he slept with a drunk Penny when he was sober. I wish he had said no .  Sorry I'm rambling, it's just that these stories of "drunk Penny and sex" don't always sit right with me 

A lot of us wish he had said no, but, from his reaction the next morning, I really wonder if by mentioning he destroyed dumb guys for her, he thought she was getting back together with him.  I mean if they were back together, Leonard might think it was a normal reaction for her.  With the Halloween episode, her kissing him was definitely not, in Leonard's experience at that time,  normal behavior for her.  All that said, the allusions and demonstrations of a drunk Penny engaging in sex can be a bit creepy now.

  • Like 2
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NeckShotLime said:

He was always living in fantasy land, he never learnt anything from his failed relationships , he never grew.  He brought this onto himself really. it always makes me laugh when i read on social media that it's sad he didn't get his happy ending. he might have got his happy ending if he had changed his attitude towards love and relationships. Howard , Penny and Sheldon  ( of all people !!! ) were able to do it. He was an immature obnoxious ass in season 1 and still was in season 12. Sad, really. He really needed therapy I think. 

Even though Raj was an obnoxious ass-hat I kind of felt sorry for him at the end. The whole season 12 was rushed for Raj and Penny & Leonard arcs because they had  so many episodes focusing on Shamy quest for the Nobel prize. I thought they could have had Raj still communicating with Anu and then asking her to meet him in Sweden for the Nobel ceremony. The trip from London would not be that long. Though at the end people would speculate whether they remain together it would have given Raj some sort of closure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Even though Raj was an obnoxious ass-hat I kind of felt sorry for him at the end.

I have to disagree about feeling sorry for Raj. He has his chances and he blew them. I guess you can say that karma kind of bit him in the rear a few times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chucky said:

I have to disagree about feeling sorry for Raj. He has his chances and he blew them. I guess you can say that karma kind of bit him in the rear a few times.

Yeah  I know I shouldn't feel that way but if only they had kept him with Anu it might have been better for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mario D. said:

Yeah  I know I shouldn't feel that way but if only they had kept him with Anu it might have been better for him

They weren't right for each other. Although both were Indian, they were totally different. Their marriage wouldn't have lasted long. I don't know if any of the women he was with were good for him. The writers must have felt that three couples were enough. Raj was just the odd man out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.