The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Thank God For Amy!! She was the only character I enjoyed this episode!

Loved her expression when Sheldon was handing her the sub after the "he's already dropping his pants line" I'm just really glad Mayim was there to keep this a comedy and not a drama...

I just really don't see why Sheldon would say they don't have a romantic relationship after the Valentine's train trip. They kinda took that special moment away. "If you want romance then lets have romance" and then they added kissing to date nights, and now I'm lost! I thought we gained some ground with Shamy

we did gain ground with Shamy. It is a romantic relationship on their terms but Sheldon is still in denial. He refuses to believe that someone like him could ever feel those kinds of emotions. It has been said before, his actions speak a thousand words.

• Like 1

we did gain ground with Shamy. It is a romantic relationship on their terms but Sheldon is still in denial. He refuses to believe that someone like him could ever feel those kinds of emotions. It has been said before, his actions speak a thousand words.

Oh I am so sick and tired of people use the "Sheldon is in denial" excuse. They have been dating for over four years now, that reason works only for so long. And that so long is NOT four years!

• Like 1

on TV... 4 years is nothing (especially when there is a contract out there for 3 more years!).

I waited to watch 7!!! whole years for a couple to stop denying their feelings. 

Edited by Kelli

I laughed a bit at the angora rabbit gag. I don't believe Sheldon took the probIems far enough. Imagine being the angora rabbit caretaker, maintaining the baskets of rabbits in the privies. Hysterically stupid. I think the Emily/Penny thing was over-cooked. Is it some pending hubristic fate awaiting Raj? It makes no sense now but something has been set in play. Anyway, better days must be ahead.

So, I wasn't offended by any plot, any specific line from any particular character, am not concerned about any hints of stale, old character traits from previous seasons resurfacing (because these writers do occasionally regress temporarily)....BUT....

this episode just lacked any form of energy tonight. Chalk it up to an off week for the writers, an off day for the actors and directors and we'll reset for next week's episode which I'm looking forward to. 

To paraphrase Martin, 'Worst episode.....for a while'. Can't remember ever voting OK for an episode. There was potential in a lot of scenes - just didn't quite deliver for me which is very rare.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 1

I'm with you, Lionne.

The purpose of this episode to me seemed to be an attempt to call back all the creepy and ugly "feels" from the past of TBBT:

1. The much despised Raj-Penny "Hookup" from season 4's finale.

2. Amy's open lusting for Penny with the added touch of her stroking Penny's cheek.

3. Raj, Howard and especially Sheldon's obliviouness about the appearence of child stalking.

4. Sheldon's verbal cruelty to Amy to her face and to his friends. And his warning that she had better not cause him any problems or he would terminate their relationship.

5. The whole Stuart, Howard and his mother dynamic. What are the writers trying to say?

I can expect a few moments of discomfort from the show every now and then, but almost an entire episode?

tumblr_inline_mfzgaovN7V1qcn3a6.gif

• Like 4

Why does she have to meet him where he's at but he does not? I know he gives here and there, but then biotches about it, Critizing comments, degrarding feelings. Yes I agree she is content .... but it ain't funny.

I wonder why you ask when it is Amy but no one was allowed to ask when it was Leonard? Penny was not ready to commit for a long time and Sheldon is not ready for traditional romance. You got to meet the person who is lagging behind where they are at or just move on. No one can force someone along that road.

Perhaps Sheldon would be a jerk if he was willing to have sex but unwilling to be at all romantic. In this regard he is being quite responsible. He is not leading anyone on for his own gratification. Looking at it that way he is more of a man than many.

• Like 1

I did not find much amusing with yesterdays episode at all. 

As a Shamy fan I am about done with this ship.  Almost everything about Sheldon's treatment, interaction and conversations with Amy are offensive - and not just in this episode - and I am finding it very hard to find anything remotely entertaining there anymore. 

• Like 2

So you went from:

Some times you got to take a person where thy are at.

To:

You got to meet the person who is lagging behind where they are at or just move on. No one can force someone along that road.

What is the person ahead (Amy in this case most of the time) to do according to you?

Just wait?

I'm with you, Lionne.

The purpose of this episode to me seemed to be an attempt to call back all the creepy and ugly "feels" from the past of TBBT:

1. The much despised Raj-Penny "Hookup" from season 4's finale.

2. Amy's open lusting for Penny with the added touch of her stroking Penny's cheek.

3. Raj, Howard and especially Sheldon's obliviouness about the appearence of child stalking.

4. Sheldon's warning(Threat?) that Amy had better not say any thing he did not want to hear or he would terminate their relationship.

5. The whole Stuart, Howard and his mother dynamic. What are the writers trying to say?

I can expect a few moments of discomfort from the show every now and then, but almost an entire episode?

1.The Raj/Penny was going to have to be brought up unless Raj never got a steady girlfriend. From the taping report I thought I was going to hate Raj more than I did. I think it safe to assume Emily's list is a lot longer than Raj so I think he may have "talked up" Penny. Sort of back fired when Emily seemed jealous after seeing her. Some mentioned earlier about them all commenting how pretty Penny was. Nothing new  on the show though it seems some blamed Penny for that and having an attitude. I missed that.

2. Amy "lusting" for Penny. Nothing new. I laughed. OOC for Amy. I don't think so.

3. The child stalking seemed to be that they were so focused on the Comic book store. I laughed at the that too but was surprised Howard didn't catch on.

4. Sheldon's warning (threat) has been ongoing for a while. It appears some are mad at Sheldon this episode and some are not on how he treats Amy. It seems typical Sheldon.

5. Since Howard's mother gave Stewart the money for the store hopefully that story is over. It was funny at the beginning but if anything was creepy tonight this was it.

The first episode in a long time I've simply rated pure and utter "bad." The only reason I didn't label it "very bad" was because it turned around from the beginning once the couples started talking about money, and then the scene with Raj/Emily/Penny was interesting, although not very funny, and the tag scene was cute. So about in the middle the episode turned around and seemed more like TBBT, although there wasn't a lot of laughs in that stretch.

Not a lot of laughs in the first stretch either, but for me that first half seemed really off. Both the acting and the script seemed stilted; I could tell that the actors seemed to be having a very hard time making the dialogue work. Amy, Raj, AND Bernadette were all made to inject lines to point out that Penny was pretty, which was completely overkill. And of course no one has ever said to her face that they hate her, because....well, no one would ever say that to dear, sweet Penny. (Yeah. Right.)

Although I think Mayim tried her best with them, the line about how Amy just hung out around Penny until she "wore her down" was seriously cringe-inducing, and I didn't stop cringing through the cheek stroking, which was downright creepy and made me very uncomfortable. I thought that this version of Amy and Penny's friendship had been retired by now when it failed to get jokes, and I was outright upset to see the dynamic back, and the flat out suggestion that the friendship between them was more an act of attrition than any type of genuine friendship or liking each other.

I feel like this episode was written by that "other" team on the writing staff that injects their ugly vision of the show from time to time. Could not have disliked the first half more, and even the cast's chemistry and acting chops, which usually sells a lot of things, was off for me. Hell, didn't even feel like it existed; the dynamic was really rough. Poor Johnny trying to set up the lines about how Sheldon seemed genuinely him but something was off with Howard just to set up Howard's rant....it just felt very rough. And I am not a prude, but Sheldon's "maybe she should have said that more often" joke was an incredibly crass and surprising burn, and not in a good way. My jaw fell open at that one.

This actually was the worst episode I've seen in a long time. It took until half way through for anything to seem to click, and even when it did it felt a little too late.

ETA: Just for the record, I was not expecting to feel this way from the taping report. Somethings, like the chemistry, you just can't tell until you watch it. I was really surprised while watching the first half play out how it felt "mean," unnatural, forced, and self-conscious. Was completely caught off-guard by how much I disliked it.

Ugh, THIS^^  EXACTLY.  This entire episode had me scratching my head.  There were very few times where I laughed, though nothing made me angry.  Sheldon was fine, he was just being typical Sheldon and here we saw more of that two steps forward (last week) one step back (this week) for Shamy.  Whatever on that cause that's their pattern so to me that came across as normal for them (aka normal for Sheldon).  But for the most part the dialogue was all off, the feud between Emily and Penny seemed exagerated and forced, and what the hell is up with how they're writing Penny lately???  She is coming across bitchy since mid last season and it's so much worse so far in season 8.  What the hell?  I don't get how they're writing her so self-centered and mean sometimes.  Where did the sweet Penny go?  I know she's still in there but we hardly get to see her anymore.  And no I do not hate Penny, before anyone gangs up on me, I just hate how they're writing her lately which to me IS NOT PENNY!

Did not like the throwback to creepy Amy this week.  I thought that plot bunny was long buried.... man they are enjoying dredging up past plot points this year, and I'm sorry but not all of them are good ideas.  Creepy Amy needs to stay buried where she belongs, no offense.  And I didn't appreciate the writers adding that bit about how Penny used to not like Amy and how Amy wore her down.  Really??? Was that really necessary?  I'm trying to get back into the mode of loving the besties as besties but the writers didn't help with this piss poor throwback episode.

Those were my only real beefs (which apparently was alot) with the episode.  Was so not expecting to dislike it this much.  

Seriously, what the frack writers.  

You are better than this.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 4

I wonder why you ask when it is Amy but no one was allowed to ask when it was Leonard? Penny was not ready to commit for a long time and Sheldon is not ready for traditional romance. You got to meet the person who is lagging behind where they are at or just move on. No one can force someone along that road.

Perhaps Sheldon would be a jerk if he was willing to have sex but unwilling to be at all romantic. In this regard he is being quite responsible. He is not leading anyone on for his own gratification. Looking at it that way he is more of a man than many.

Its not about sex...where did I say he had to give up the goods? Its about total disregard for the relationship. At least Penny felt bad about it.

I did not find much amusing with yesterdays episode at all. 

As a Shamy fan I am about done with this ship.  Almost everything about Sheldon's treatment, interaction and conversations with Amy are offensive - and not just in this episode - and I am finding it very hard to find anything remotely entertaining there anymore.

That is why a breakup I think would help. Sheldon needs to change and I think he needs to find out that you don't know what you got till its gone. Amy is friends with the girls so she will still be around, but with Leonard and Penny spending all their time together, how will Sheldon like truly being alone, when everyone has something to do, will be like that change?

• Like 4

That is why a breakup I think would help. Sheldon needs to change and I think he needs to find out that you don't know what you got till its gone. Amy is friends with the girls so she will still be around, but with Leonard and Penny spending all their time together, how will Sheldon like truly being alone, when everyone has something to do, will be like that change?

Exactly!

It's not that I want it, but it would actually help them in the long run.

So you went from:

To:

What is the person ahead (Amy in this case most of the time) to do according to you?

Just wait?

I think that is what gets my craw..that is the main message I got from this episode. Amy doesn't like herself. At this point she should!!

Enjoyed the new episode. The taping report seemed to make a bigger deal out of it, but actually it's not.

It's interesting to me that people are willing to excuse Sheldon's behavior with the time-worn "it's just Sheldon being Sheldon" claim. I feel obligated to remind people that just because a character acts a certain way most of the time, it doesn't necessarily mean that such behavior is good. Yes, Sheldon may always be casually dismissive (or outright oblivious) to the feelings of others, especially the girlfriend he supposedly cares for, but that doesn't make it right. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Like 5

I thought the episode was funny and the interaction, to me, felt familiar to earlier seasons.  I liked that.  Sheldon seemed more in character than he has been in a while (more oblivious, rather than mean).  I feel that they are slowly trying to bring Amy back to being funny again, which thrills me, but I agree with the comments above that I don't want to see creepy all-over-penny Amy again.

I enjoyed this one much more than last week (mainly because it was funny, while last week wasn't). Sure, the shamy wasn't as sweet as last week, but I do like that Sheldon is still smiling at Amy in this episode and seeming to enjoy being with her.

I also agree with the comments above that a shamy breakup is needed.  It would be perfect right now, so Sheldon would be forced to be completely and utterly alone (even raj has a girlfriend now).  The breakup should be initiated by Amy, too.  I would love to see Amy take the upper hand and build her self esteem by making this decision.  And I'd love to see Sheldon come to grips with his real feelings because he's forced to  (which is probably the only way it's going to happen).

I think the Penny/Emily thing will be funny. 

• Like 1

It feels like if they were planning to break up Sheldon and Amy, the time to do that would have been when he came back from his little adventure over the summer. So, I don't think they are going to break them up. I don't know how I would feel about a break up; it would depend on how it played out, I suppose.

I also didn't think everyone was going to be so angry about this episode. It wasn't the best, but surely not the worst. I am surprised at how many people want them to break up, actually.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 3

I agree with Bangarmain and SRAM.  I thought last night's episode was very weak.  I gave it an okay vote because it was overall it was really not that funny.  I agree that the Amy/Penny exchange with the cheek touching was weird.  It is like they are trying to relive some things from season 4 and IMO it just does not work anymore.  Amy's character has grown beyond that, and so has Penny's.  As for the Penny/Raj hook-up thing coming up again, I really did not care for it.  I hated it when they used it during the season 4 finale and I still hate it.  The whole Raj/Emily/Penny exchange really just made Raj look like a real jerk.  Especially since in reality he and Penny were never lovers. IMO he took advantage of her when she was drunk.  I really id not like Raj's line about "bedding them both" in reference to Penny and Emily.  I really wonder how long Raj and Emily will last. 

As for Shamy, I agree with SRAM a break up may be in order.

• Like 2