804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I don't think something huge has to happen, but I do expect later on during the season they will begin to get into the more difficult topics which will kinda force Sheldon to consider what Amy is for his future....and this is why I think an ILY will come.

Like what kind of topics? And why would that forcing be okay, but a break-up wouldn't?

This was definitely the worst episode so far, I gave a 'very bad' and I think it's actually the first time. 

The Penny x Emily thing was even worse than I thought and Raj managed to make me angry, the only time I laughed in this episode was when Amy delivered that perfect line (thank you mayim)' we having been living different lives.'

I'm tired of Stuart and Howard fighting, seriously it's getting ridiculous how he treats Howard in his own mother's house. It was funny at first but it's getting too forced now.

Is anyone else tired of Lenny getting made fun of in every episode this season? 

I will not even start on Sheldon and how he can never think of nice things to say to Amy, but bad thing are at the tip of his tongue. I'm in favor of a person keeping their trap shut when they haven't got anything nice to say. Sheldon should stick to that from now on.

And no, please do not bring back sexually-starved Amy and attracted-to-Penny Amy. We were doing mighty fine without them.

Oh god, I was thinking the same thing about Amy!  Enough with the references to her being attracted to Penny!! It belittles her relationship with Sheldon (Which let's be honest, doesn't need anymore slams from the writers, thank you)  And it's just uncomfortable. I equate it to references to Raj being homosexual.   It seemsl ike the same  tired old jokes.  Amy's character can be so much more. So can Bernies.  

Edited by hazelra7
  • Like 4

Just throwing this out there about the romance line...

I think Sheldon doesn't think they "need" romance because they know how they feel about each other and they aren't in a "physical relationship."  Sheldon may feel that  romance is for those who need validation, like wine or gazing in each other's eyes, or kissing.  It's validation of their feelings, but he may feel they don't need it.  He knows how he feels about Amy and he certainly knows how she feels about him.  ('My girlfriend loves me so much she wants to move in with me..." And that sort of thing...)

Now... Does it want it? Ah!! That is the stuff of Fan fic...

Also, the idea that Shamy would break up makes me throw up in my mouth a little....

I had no problem with the line about shamy romance. Sheldon can say what he wants, but we know Shamy are in love with each other. I just wish they would stop with the ridiculous name calling. Gollum, oily duck, these are just awful

• Like 4

Like what kind of topics? And why would that forcing be okay, but a break-up wouldn't?

well the topics are intimacy, their future, verbalizing what they mean to each other, etc. ....eventually living together.

Forcing not in someone strong arming him, but him realizing in some way that Amy needs to hear what he feels.  And admit that yea, I love her and she's it for me.  How this is done is up to the writers, and I have full confidence they'll surprise us and succeed with this.

break-up I've said is a total BS stragedy that has been so many times on shows.....They are beyond that. 

• Like 3

I do not see a Shamy Breakup.

Neither do I but I DO see an Amy emotional breakdown at some point.  Like it will all come spewing out of her out of frustration, how she feels about every little slight, every off color comment, how she felt about him leaving like he did, how to her he's still a flight risk, how she's been with him for 4 yrs and she STILL doesn't know what place she actually occupies in his heart cause he's never vocalized it.  We saw a bit of that in the car in episode 1 of this season and I think that may just have been the tip of the iceberg.  I think that more than anything is what will finally get to Sheldon.  Seeing her voice any emotional hurt.  Deep down, I don't think he realizes the effect his every word and action has on her at this point and I sincerely think once it's out in the open, he'll put all of this thoughts and emotions out in the open as well.  I would much rather their breakthrough come from this than a break-up.

• Like 7

Neither do I but I DO see an Amy emotional breakdown at some point.  Like it will all come spewing out of her out of frustration, how she feels about every little slight, every off color comment, how she felt about him leaving like he did, how to her he's still a flight risk, how she's been with him for 4 yrs and she STILL doesn't know what place she actually occupies in his heart cause he's never vocalized it.  We saw a bit of that in the car in episode 1 of this season and I think that may just have been the tip of the iceberg.  I think that more than anything is what will finally get to Sheldon.  Seeing her voice any emotional hurt.  Deep down, I don't think he realizes the effect his every word and action has on her at this point and I sincerely think once it's out in the open, he'll put all of this thoughts and emotions out in the open as well.  I would much rather their breakthrough come from this than a break-up.

Literal goosebumps.

I won't accept anything else now.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I really hope this will happen!

It will break my heart to see Amy break down (yeah yeah I know she's fictional), but as Amy already voiced her frustration about him leaving, I doubt we will see it brought up again.

I just fear the joke the writers will add in ...

• Like 1

I would LOVE this!!!!   Almost a more amp'd up version of her meltdown in spoiler alert!!!  And that would make him react IC without a break-up plot

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I really hope this will happen!

It will break my heart to see Amy break down (yeah yeah I know she's fictional), but as Amy already voiced her frustration about him leaving, I doubt we will see it brought up again.

I just fear the joke the writers will add in ...

Here's the thing that people need to accept.  It's a comedy.  There will always be a joke, but sometimes as we've seen, it doesn't ruin the moment (like with Locomotive and the D&D scene) it just diffuses the tension.  And I'm ok with that.  So keeping that in mind, an Amy emotional breakdown could happen and still be sweet in the end and funny and touching.  But we have to accept that it will always be punctuated with humour in the end.  That's the whole premise and reason for being of the show.

Edited by CaffeineBuzz
  • Like 3

I gave it a good.  I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it.  I didn't feel motivated to turn it off.  Overall, IMO, the epi felt off kilter this week.

I said what I needed to re: Shamy in that thread but I have to say here I was not happy with how their storyline played out this week.  The push-pull Shamy is status quo and not at all combusted when you have storyline like that for this couple. They are not traditional...I know that.  I think there is a lot of potential for growth to showcase why these two stay together and work as a couple.  I think the writers need to toss the push pull crap out of the window.  

Raj/Penny/Emily:  I think that played out in a way that made sense.  I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.  I like the Emily character. If she should return, it could be interesting to see how they play Penny/Emily interactions play out.  Are they nice to each others faces as they were in the apartment or is there tension as was shown when the they shut the door?

The comic book storyline: I have to say I am enjoying Stuart this season.  He seems happy for once.  I think there is potential in this storyline.

Oh and IMO the most cringe worthy moment of this episode for this fan was Amy stroking Penny's face. 

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 3

Too much drama, I don't really think you'll see this happen on the show, it is not funny, just sad.

That wasn't good sorry. I feel like writers are like Sheldon now, they made huge changes, but are too scare to accept them and move with them. Sorry but bringing up this lesbian affection from Amy? Why after three years?  Sheldon being jerk to her... I don't have to even comment that. Leonard feeling insecure about Penny? I believed they're pass this. It's that same jokes all over again. They all made big progress, why not to show something new, instead of bring up 4 years old hook up ? They have great ground for it. I don't know, lately, this jokes just seems forced to me and totally odd. And yes, Amy meltdown would be perfect interesting storyline. I'm all for it! 

• Like 3

Raj/Penny/Emily:  I think that played out in a way that made sense.  I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.  I like the Emily character. If she should return, it could be interesting to see how they play Penny/Emily interactions play out.  Are they nice to each others faces as they were in the apartment or is there tension as was shown when the they shut the door?

I want to see this thing play out with Emily too. If they are not planning to keep her for Raj, I would like her to make a play for Leonard, because I want Raj to feel how it is to have the girl you want go after your best friend. But I would like to see Emily more to see how she works with the girls, she would give the girls three doctors like the guys. Emily is still an interesting character that I think needs to be fleshed out some more.

The progress would be for Amy AND Sheldon. Of course they would have to create a believable storyline to make a breakup possible, and once it happened, Sheldon would be forced to come to grip with his feelings. The only way it's going to happen is if Amy gets a backbone and finally comes back to herself (remember how self assured she was when he first met her?). I feel the combination of being alone and seeing Amy in a confident, more dominate role will drive him mad and make him want her even more. Right now she is just an enabler. Did you see how quickly she changed her answer to him last night to make him happy? She is just as much a part of this dynamic as he is. It IS possible for Sheldon to like, even love, a person with self confidence that doesn't always agree with him. Penny and his mother are perfect examples.

Your scenario works for me. Sheldon asking her opinion about investing in the comic book store served no purpose. While his idea suggesting Leonard and Howard needed to talk to their women was a great point it really was nothing he needed to do. All it did was make Amy look bad IMO. The problem with her answer to his question was fine until push came to shove so to speak and she gave him an out.. To me if that was going to be the point in the end I think 30 seconds on something else may have been better. I think your examples of Penny and his mother are spot on. Obviously not in a romantic sense but two women that don't always agree with him but whose opinions he still values. There's been numerous examples of this throughout the years of the show.

Wow.

So much drama and hair pulling.

First of all, Sheldon didn't say ANYTHING to Amy, that I recall, that was negative, apart from loading the deck when he wanted her to approve of his investment idea.  But he also didn't try to make up a story about his father taking him to the comic book store, like Howard did.

I've been thinking about the oily duck comment and it made me think--why would he think Amy's hair looks like an oily duck?

What do we know about how oil looks--dark, shiny, sleek.  Perhaps the oily duck was the only analogy he could come up with in trying to describe her hair--dark, shiny and sleek.  That she would misunderstand his intent and get upset at the reference is understandable, but why else would he come up with it?  Did he think her hair was actually oily (like she hadn't washed it)?  I don't see why--it's not like Amy goes around unbathed.

And the thing about the freckles on his butt--we know that he doesn't think about the possible sexual aspects of such a thing.  To him, Emily is simply another doctor whose skills he can use for his long list of hypochondriacal obsessions, just like Dr. Stephanie--he wanted her to give him a prostate exam.

If he dropped his pants for Amy, that would be a whole different thing.

And as I said before, of course he doesn't value "romance", especially as others think of it.  To him, the relationship is stronger because it's not based on romance, but on shared interests and compatibility.

And I don't think Amy still really liking Penny takes anything away from Amy's affection for Sheldon.  What does one have to do with the other?  She'll always think Penny is beautiful or an ideal woman (at least physically), so she's always going to have that odd connection to her.

And I don't think Raj was as big a jerk as some people think.  Yeah, he still tries to make himself look good, but he did admit that he probably overstated his fling with Penny, and he also knew when he said, "I love both of you" that maybe that was not quite what he should have said--though I think it was the truth: he loves Penny as his good friend and he's already in love with Emily as his girlfriend.

Even though it was dredging up an uncomfortable moment from the past, if they can actually resolve things and clear the air, then it can finally be put on the shelf and never be brought up again.

And I'm sure Emily and Penny will end up being friends.  I think the "I hate her" ending was partly punchline and partly set up for future stories as Emily gets integrated into the group.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 8

As Sheldon said himself, he and Amy dont need to categorize their relationship, they are doing pretty well

Jmo

How does Amy feel? When she "confronted" him in ep 3 I wish you said something like that to me, what was Sheldon's response? Telling her how she felt.

Kind of like Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy.

Probably a stupid question, but who?

How does Amy feel? When she "confronted" him in ep 3 I wish you said something like that to me, what was Sheldon's response? Telling her how she felt.

Probably a stupid question, but who?

Edgar Bergen was a ventriloquist and Charlie McCarthy was his sidekick.

Your scenario works for me. Sheldon asking her opinion about investing in the comic book store served no purpose. While his idea suggesting Leonard and Howard needed to talk to their women was a great point it really was nothing he needed to do. All it did was make Amy look bad IMO. The problem with her answer to his question was fine until push came to shove so to speak and she gave him an out.. To me if that was going to be the point in the end I think 30 seconds on something else may have been better. I think your examples of Penny and his mother are spot on. Obviously not in a romantic sense but two women that don't always agree with him but whose opinions he still values. There's been numerous examples of this throughout the years of the show.

There is a post on Tumblr about that scene and that is one angry Shamy shipper lol