804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I don't think there is anything wrong with Amy liking Penny or holding their relationship in high regard.  That's fine but the cheek touching scene was weird...l cringed and felt uncomfortable watching it. 

I Shamy.  I Lenny.  I Howardette.  

I also see a lot of different theories going re: Sheldon's comments about Amy's hair or romance.  I am happy for all my fellow shippers that can see it as Shamy just being Shamy.  I do not.  It is my belief that Shamy are firmly entrenched in push/pull at this time.  My S8 hope was that we would see a more unified front. I am not expecting flowers, cards, sappy romance from Shamy AT ALL.  These two are so unique.  I think there are many ways to develop the couple in a slow quirky way that can show a unified front.  I didn't see that last night.   By no means am I jumping ship or think they need to break up.  But yeah I feel the need to vent about it because I didn't like it. 

At Sram, interesting perspective about Emily making a play at Leonard if it goes south with Raj.  I really do think the writers left the door wide open for interesting plots to develop out of that story line.

Watched the Amy scene. While it didn't bother me as much as some I think it was made worse because Amy using her left hand to touch her face. it made it look awkward.

I see your point of view of Shamy. There's a certain point of IMO that there should be consequences for some of his actions.

The Emily making a play for Leonard has been mentioned on another thread and I like the idea if things go badly with Raj. Even if things don't the rest of the group seems to like her. I don't necessarily think they would all side with Penny in a feud between the two. I could see Leonard not siding with Penny and that could make things interesting.

Watched the Amy scene. While it didn't bother me as much as some I think it was made worse because Amy using her left hand to touch her face. it made it look awkward.

I see your point of view of Shamy. There's a certain point of IMO that there should be consequences for some of his actions.

The Emily making a play for Leonard has been mentioned on another thread and I like the idea if things go badly with Raj. Even if things don't the rest of the group seems to like her. I don't necessarily think they would all side with Penny in a feud between the two. I could see Leonard not siding with Penny and that could make things interesting.

I hope for external strife, not internecine conflict. Unreasonable Emily, Penny standing her ground and conflicted Raj. I hope they don't drag Leonard into it. It would be a bit vengeful. And if Penny and Leonard square off over a girl... LOL.

• Like 1

Its not about sex...where did I say he had to give up the goods? Its about total disregard for the relationship. At least Penny felt bad about it.

I did not say you said that.

I agree Penny has a caring character.

Sheldon does not disregard the relationship. He has unique/peculiar beliefs and no real empathy.

Just saw the episode. It's OK to me.

I read the comments there yesterday and I expected much worse.

I am a Shamy shipper, and I don't see what's wrong with them.

Sheldon denying they are in a romatic Relationship => that's partly true, and I don't expect Sheldon to be romantic anyway, so that's fine.

The duck line => Typical Sheldon, and what he says about the scrabble game shows he couldn't finish it, so Amy probably got mad and just went, it's OK because he got what he deserved

Their dialogue => probably the worst part, asking her to be honest but in the same time telling her she'd better be as enthusiastic about it as he is... Fortunately, this is Amy, she knows how to " handle " him, and tells him her mind. He doesn't understand, or feigns not to understand, so why bother telling him " no "?

And at the very beginning, the old " frustrated Amy " running gag, oh I'm so tired of that, but since the writers seem to love that there is nothing left for us but to endure that I guess.

There are times when I really don't understand my fellow shippers, i think they keep their expectations too high and finally have to be disappointed because we will never get a romantic Sheldon who refrains from telling horrible things to his girlfriend ( or anybody else by the way )

• Like 2

@Bangermain - Sounds like you and I had almost the exact same thought. While watching the episode I was like...."Wow, every creepy or uncomfortable thing that has maybe been here or there over the past 3 seasons just got jam packed into this one!" I'm grateful you mentioned the Stuart/Mrs. Wolowitz stuff on your list of "WTF" stuff from this episode, because I'm surprised by the general love of the Mrs. Wolowitz/Stuart stuff. It was kinda cute and could have been funny, but the situation there has taken a slightly darker turn for me in this episode.

When Stuart was being paid by Howard and Bernie to caretake Mrs. Wolowitz, and that the two of them really enjoyed each other's company, that was delightful. But this episode highlighted a problem that was been out there since Mrs. Wolowitz's leg healed and Howardette stopped paying Stuart, which is that Stuart has defaulted into being a mooch in this situation. And that mooching really took a giant and unpleasant leap forward in the way that Stuart made a deliberate stance to make Howard feel unwelcome in the house, and to suggest he had to call first before dropping by, while at the same time admitting that Mrs. Wolowitz was both at the point of buying him clothing and had made a huge financial investment in him.

I find it very discomforting that Stuart is willing to allow Mrs. Wolowitz to pamper him, feed him, clothe him, house him, and etc all for the joy of his company, which makes him a mild mooch in many respects, but being willing to take a massive amount of money from her while at the same time trying to edge out her son and make him less welcome in her home sends up massive red flags. Stuart has always been so poor that his mooching was sort of understandable, and we've seen him willingly allow Raj to indulge him, or haggle money out of Sheldon and the boys in the comic book store, but let's be honest, Mrs. Wolowitz is an older woman and this whole situation has suddenly taken a weird turn where it looks a lot like Stuart is mildly preying on a woman who is lonely and vulnerable.

Now, I do think that Stuart seems to genuinely care about Mrs. Wolowitz, and if he's going to reopen the comic book store he is - hopefully - going to get himself back on his feet. Except it's hard for me to understand why Stuart wants to go back into a business in which he was so desperately unhappy before. Just because...well....after so bravely combusting that status quo it's important to rebuild it even if it doesn't really make sense? No other ideas of what to do with this show? Stuart just has to have a comic book store because, er, he just does?

I hope that if there is a new comic book tore it's successful and if Stuart is going to continue to live with Mrs. Wolowitz he's going to bring something into her home and her life instead of just someone to be there for her to dote on. I guess we'll see how it goes, but I'm really not comfortable with the idea of several more months or years of Stuart mooching off of her.

Is it so hard to believe two sad lonely people can't find happiness in each others company? Stewart was able to look after Mrs Woloitz when even her on family found it too much of a chore.  The Mrs Woloitz story has been kind of creepy many times in the past. What about the time she got Sheldon to help stuff her in her dress. I'd say this story line has been relatively benign.

Just saw the episode. It's OK to me.

I read the comments there yesterday and I expected much worse.

I am a Shamy shipper, and I don't see what's wrong with them.

Sheldon denying they are in a romatic Relationship => that's partly true, and I don't expect Sheldon to be romantic anyway, so that's fine.

The duck line => Typical Sheldon, and what he says about the scrabble game shows he couldn't finish it, so Amy probably got mad and just went, it's OK because he got what he deserved

Their dialogue => probably the worst part, asking her to be honest but in the same time telling her she'd better be as enthusiastic about it as he is... Fortunately, this is Amy, she knows how to " handle " him, and tells him her mind. He doesn't understand, or feigns not to understand, so why bother telling him " no "?

And at the very beginning, the old " frustrated Amy " running gag, oh I'm so tired of that, but since the writers seem to love that there is nothing left for us but to endure that I guess.

There are times when I really don't understand my fellow shippers, i think they keep their expectations too high and finally have to be disappointed because we will never get a romantic Sheldon who refrains from telling horrible things to his girlfriend ( or anybody else by the way )

Hasn't everyone blundered into saying the wrong thing at times? Sheldon is just an extreme case of foot in mouth.

Not a lot of love for this episode I see, I can't remember the last time an episode got only two excellent ratings - while I didn't love it, I liked it well enough to give it a good rating - My favorite part was the guys thinking about buying Stuart's comic book store, that was a great idea and would have been fun to see, which is why it was a little disappointing that Howard's mother ended up giving him the money - not sure where she found the income to give Stuart that much money, or have seven HBO channels for that matter - I also agree with those wondering why Stuart would want to re-open the comic book store when it made him so depressed and miserable, you would think he would be glad to be rid of it  - I think the comic store the guys visited was cool, maybe they could buy that one at some point and compete with Stuart's, so Howard can get some payback for Stuart using his mother the way he is.

With the conflict between Penny and Emily - I don't see Emily lasting as Raj's girlfriend very long, as character that don't like Penny don't stay around to long,  plus I don't see much interesting or humorous about Emily - I don't really see why she had such a problem with Penny, as Raj should have also told her about Penny's whole history with Leonard, so she should know Penny is no threat to her relationship with Raj, plus she had no problem with Raj dating two women at the same time, so why should she have a problem with Raj's one night drunken hookup with a good friend he has known for years? - if anybody should be upset about that incident being brought up again it should be Leonard, speaking of which I was surprised to hear Penny say in front of Leonard that everyone knew Raj and Penny didn't have sex that night, I was unaware that everyone knew that. - Emily hating Penny reminds me of the problems that Priya had with Penny and how she resented her relationship with Leonard, and I think it will resolve the same way - with Emily leaving.

Edited by luke
  • Like 1

@Luke, it was never before shown that Leonard knew they just fooled around. This episode should be lauded for putting that problem to bed... so to speak. And yes, there are a number of reasons why Emily will be at most recurrent. I hope she comes back like Janice in "Friends" - only in a more unsettling fashion (think of her fondness for splatterfilms and extrapolate... hehehe).

• Like 1

I don't remember laughing at anything during this episode.   Not exactly something you want to say when discussing a "comedy".  

With you Rick Have no idea where I was supposed to laugh, Raj was hard to take (as usual). Penny/Emily made me cringe. Shamy was just awful. The whole Howard/Stuart was so not funny. Has to be a genuine candidate for  WORST EPISODE EVER>

• Like 2

I don't think this was the worst episode, because it didn't make me cringe like some previous episodes have done. There was some good stuff in it too, like I think Bernadette came off as supportive to Howard, she was actually going to talk about the investment with Stuart before he told them Debbie gave him the money. Sheldon acted better than normal, almost like season 1 Sheldon, offering some good advice in the comic book store before going off the deep end with the van idea later. Penny didn't take her problems out on Leonard and told Emily her and Leonard were a thing. I know this episode wasn't as funny as we are use to, but a just okay episode of TBBT is still better than the other Sitcom crap out there now.

• Like 4

I still feel like the show has lost its comedic edge following Season 6.  When I watch the earlier episodes - pick anything from 1- 6 - in re-runs, I just laugh more than I did for Season 7 and, so far, Season 8 episodes.  Hard to put my finger on the exact reason or what's missing for me, but it's my feeling.  Like the writers have kind of run out of the energy that propelled the show along for the first 6 seasons.  I thought we'd see more of Penny's life as a pharma rep, but I guess to do that would have her off on her own without the group interplay.  But this new career seems like it might provide some new story lines, but so far, not much.  Sometimes it just feels like the original premise and character development has kind of been played out.

And I know it's only my opinion and others will feel quite differently.

I thought we'd see more of Penny's life as a pharma rep, but I guess to do that would have her off on her own without the group interplay.  But this new career seems like it might provide some new story lines, but so far, not much.

Um, we're only four episodes into this season, and we have two more seasons to go (at least). How about giving this arc a little more time to play out?

I thought we'd see more of Penny's life as a pharma rep, but I guess to do that would have her off on her own without the group interplay.  But this new career seems like it might provide some new story lines, but so far, not much.  

There might be some storylines in it, but I doubt it will include seeing Penny actually working.

They've already at least twice showed us she sucks at her job.

Not much possibilities in there storywise.

There might be some storylines in it, but I doubt it will include seeing Penny actually working.

They've already at least twice showed us she sucks at her job.

Not much possibilities in there storywise.

She sucks at her job? Why? I think she's doing a great job!

She sucks at her job? Why? I think she's doing a great job!

Have you already forgotten how well her job interview went, and what the only reason is she actually got the job?

And her salespitch to Emily went really well...but that was obviously all Emily's fault.

actually I don't think Penny sucks at her job.  We haven't even seen her really "work" yet and her pitch to Emily was ok for a trial run.  I think some are judging it too soon.  I feel Penny is diving into this with new found passion. 

• Like 6

Have you already forgotten how well her job interview went, and what the only reason is she actually got the job?

And her salespitch to Emily went really well...but that was obviously all Emily's fault.

But you said she sucks at her job, not at her interview.

Interview = Interview

Job = Job

Two different things, you know? Also, she's still practicing and, yes, it's Emily's fault. If your client is ignoring you, there's nothing you can do about it.

On the note of Penny's job, I think it's too soon to tell.  I did enjoy the scene at Emily's office.  It didn't go well but in this case Emily was the issue. Penny tried.  There is a lot of season left so I really hope to see more of Penny's job play out on screen.  

• Like 1

But you said she sucks at her job, not at her interview.

Interview = Interview

Job = Job

Two different things, you know? Also, she's still practicing and, yes, it's Emily's fault. If your client is ignoring you, there's nothing you can do about it.

They aren't different at all. The interview was for said job, which she failed at.

And she is suppose to sell stuff at this job, but she couldn't even sell her self to Dan.

And about the practice on Emily, you do know that is how most of her costumers are going to be like, right?

How will she sell the products?

I doubt most of her potential customers are going to hate her already going into the meeting.  Emily was blowing her off on purpose.  It is too earlier to know how she is gonna be at this job and she has already put more effort in it than she has the whole time she worked at the Cheesecake Factory.

• Like 3