The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

804 The Hook-Up Reverberation (October 6)

Your Episode Rating  

90 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

They aren't different at all. The interview was for said job, which she failed at.

And she is suppose to sell stuff at this job, but she couldn't even sell her self to Dan.

And about the practice on Emily, you do know that is how most of her costumers are going to be like, right?

How will she sell the products?

You can't automatically assume she will fail at her job, too, just because she failed at her interview. She got the job, she's doing it and didn't get fired. And this is not how most of her customers will be like. Read Molaro's interviews and you'll know why I'm so sure about her doing well.

Btw, my job interview was a bummer, but I still got the job and I'm doing pretty well and earn a lot of money.

Edited by FileXxX

Judging Penny's job performance is jumping the gun a bit, imo. Yeah, her interview didn't go very well but she also had not gone through training prior to that. She had very limited Sales experience as a waitress compared to what she's doing now.

Her sales pitch to Emily was going to fail no matter what. Emily didn't like her and you could tell she was annoyed by Penny being there. Also, Penny pretty much already knew Emily didn't like her so I really don't think that scene has anything to do with her job performance.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 5

No the worst episode ever is speckerman

Totally agree 100%

Speckerman horrible.

Next is slutty dr plimpton ep

@Luke, it was never before shown that Leonard knew they just fooled around. This episode should be lauded for putting that problem to bed... so to speak. And yes, there are a number of reasons why Emily will be at most recurrent. I hope she comes back like Janice in "Friends" - only in a more unsettling fashion (think of her fondness for splatterfilms and extrapolate... hehehe).

If Emily sticks around I could see her becoming a bit unhinged and scaring Raj, she is already being over possessive of Raj considering the short time they have been dating, maybe Penny will end up having to go all Nebraska on her.

No the worst episode ever is speckerman

My worst are The Wheaton Recurrence and Itchy Brain.

I actually liked all three of those episodes and I liked this one, I don't think there is any episode that I really hate, but the one I liked the least was probably the Re-entry Minimization, when Howard returned from space and everyone blew him off, I thought that was sad and a little mean, considering all the guy's interest in space travel and how proud everyone was of him when he took off - I discovered this site because I was looking for a place to complain about that episode :)

Totally agree 100%

Speckerman horrible.

Next is slutty dr plimpton ep

Funny I put "The Plimpton Stimulation" in the group of five worst episodes and Speckerman is not in my list.

TBBT fans are diverse and people have different criteria.

I can think of a few reasons that Emily might not like Penny. It is entirely plausible that although she mentioned the hook up with Raj there is a deeper issue. As a professional Emily may not like pharmaceutical reps to begin with. She may particularly dislike reps who don't seem to know what they are talking about. I have known a lot of Engineers who despise sales people who seem to waste their time and in particular reps who don't seem to have an adequate technical background. The fact that Penny had had a hookup with Raj only adds to the notion that she would see Penny as an incompetent who probably tries to use her looks to get sales (or perhaps worse).

So from my perspective Emily's reaction to an incompetent sales rep is quite expected and from that perspective those scenes were very funny. Perhaps some of you have not had to deal with persistent annoying and sometimes incompetent sales reps? The fact that the rep was our beloved Penny in this case is beside the point. From Emily's point of view Penny is some waitress/actor trying to pass herself off as a sales rep.

So her reaction is ugg, and her boyfriend had a hookup with this incompetent -- double ugg.

Edited by djsurrey

I don't think Penny can be judged on her job performance while she's still in training.  She was practicing on Emily and it was made clear that she was still in training.

We haven't yet seen her actually on the job, so it's impossible to know just now.

Whatever they ultimately decide to do with this story arc--whether she'll stick to it, get an acting opportunity she can't refuse, or actually fail at it (once she gets started)--they've BARELY introduced the idea at this point.

As for Emily, here again I don't think we've seen enough to tell how it's going to play out in the long run, but I think that she's already miles ahead of where Lucy was when she was first introduced.

I think that just as Amy and Bernie were kind of polished up after their first few episodes, we'll see that Emily will be filled out and rounded off a bit as she gets integrated into the gang.

I think that TPTB are kind of determined to try to keep her around, since they're working around her schedule with her other show in order to keep her around.

I like her and I think that her little spat with Penny is a good way to keep a little friction in there.  I don't think she'll be hating Penny (and vice versa) for very long, but it's going to be funny to see them try to work it out.  I'm sure they'll end up bonding over something.

Funny I put "The Plimpton Stimulation" in the group of five worst episodes and Speckerman is not in my list.

TBBT fans are diverse and people have different criteria.

I can think of a few reasons that Emily might not like Penny. It is entirely plausible that although she mentioned the hook up with Raj there is a deeper issue. As a professional Emily may not like pharmaceutical reps to begin with. She may particularly dislike reps who don't seem to know what they are talking about. I have known a lot of Engineers who despise sales people who seem to waste their time and in particular reps who don't seem to have an adequate technical background. The fact that Penny had had a hookup with Raj only adds to the notion that she would see Penny as an incompetent who probably tries to use her looks to get sales (or perhaps worse).

So from my perspective Emily's reaction to an incompetent sales rep is quite expected and from that perspective those scenes were very funny. Perhaps some of you have not had to deal with persistent annoying and sometimes incompetent sales reps? The fact that the rep was our beloved Penny in this case is beside the point. From Emily's point of view Penny is some waitress/actor trying to pass herself off as a sales rep.

So her reaction is ugg, and her boyfriend had a hookup with this incompetent -- double ugg.

I don't think Emily disliked Penny based on her skills or knowledge as a sales rep.  She clearly disliked her before she had any way to judge her.  She knew going in that Penny was still in training and was going to be practicing on her, so it's not like she was expecting a polished performance.

She had clearly decided she didn't like Penny before Penny met her and was then determined not to like her when Penny came to her office.  Emily was deliberately ignoring Penny, so Emily would have had to way to judge whether or not Penny was any good--Emily wasn't even paying attention.

I think her dislike was based purely on the thing with Raj.

• Like 6

Totally agree with phantagrae on this. The only thing I would add is that Emily is probably for now going to be like Stuart, occasionally on the show.

• Like 1

I don't think Penny can be judged on her job performance while she's still in training.  She was practicing on Emily and it was made clear that she was still in training.

We haven't yet seen her actually on the job, so it's impossible to know just now.

[snip]

Of course she can be judged. People in this forum did just that in the summer. Penny has no pharmaceutical background. Thats what I am talking about. Technical sales people get judged for a lack of technical background all the time. My guess is that if you want to talk to doctors and be taken seriously you probably need at least a relevant bachelor's degree.

So I have moved my rating up a notch because tbbt dared to use humor that seems to be going over the heads of some viewers. Perhaps we are moving above fat jokes and other low brow humor.

Edited by djsurrey

Of course she can be judged. People in this forum did just that in the summer. Penny has no pharmaceutical background. Thats what I am talking about. Technical sales people get judged for a lack of technical background all the time. My guess is that if you want to talk to doctors and be taken seriously you probably need at least a relevant bachelor's degree.

So I have moved my rating up a notch because tbbt dared to use humor that seems to be going over the heads of some viewers. Perhaps we are moving above fat jokes and other low brow humor.

What I mean is that nobody here on the forum knows yet whether or not the writers will show that she'll be good at her job.  If she takes the training to heart and learns her stuff (which we haven't yet seen the completion of), then applies her charm and people skills, she could make a go of it.

But whether or not she fails at her job is going to depend on the story being told.  If the writers decide that Penny is going to take this opportunity seriously and learn her materials, they may have her succeeding despite her lack of education.

What really matters is not whether or not she has the educational background, but where the writers want to go with this story arc. 

A viewer can't simply say, "well, we know she's going to fail at this, and then..."  Just like no one can say, "well, a pretty girl like her would never fall in love with the nerdy guy across the hall..."  If that's the story that the writers are telling, and if they can find ways to make the story seem plausible, then that's the story they're going to tell.

Just like it's not necessarily realistic that Penny would have gotten the job in the first place, but then she did, then her success at the job may depend on other things that the realistic aspect of needing a degree, etc..

• Like 2

What you say is true. I'm not sure how relevant it is though. For example Leonard and Sheldon share an apartment and Penny lives on her own in the same building. How does Penny afford it? Couldn't Leonard and Sheldon afford a better apartment? Could they each live on their own? Penny's lack of technical background or degree may not work in the real world. But TBBT isn't the real world.

This may be the last time we SEE a Penny pitch. We rarely see anyone actually working - because it's not always funny. If they need her to be good and funny she will be good. If they need bad and funny, the same. I just hope they push harder on the funny. :)

This may be the last time we SEE a Penny pitch. We rarely see anyone actually working - because it's not always funny. If they need her to be good and funny she will be good. If they need bad and funny, the same. I just hope they push harder on the funny. :)

I don't know, there is a lot of potential with this new job of hers to have funny things happen. Wasn't there something about she was going to have problems with the wealthy doctors hitting on her? I could see her doing her pitch with the doctor more interested in her physical assets instead of what she is selling, or worse hinting she is selling the wrong stuff.

• Like 2

..... I could see her doing her pitch with the doctor more interested in her physical assets instead of what she is selling....

Not with that haircut, apparently. As good as donning a nun's habit.

Listen, I happen to like her hair, (my wife's is short, like Kaley's also), so hate away on her, I'll be more than happy to hang around and tell her how lovely she looks. Although from her comments, Ryan's already doing that.

• Like 2

She still is Penny, long or short hair. I could never see anyone replacing her as Penny, and it does look cute in those business suits.

• Like 2

Listen, I happen to like her hair, (my wife's is short, like Kaley's also), so hate away on her, I'll be more than happy to hang around and tell her how lovely she looks. Although from her comments, Ryan's already doing that.

Did I have to put the sarcasm note in bold, fer gosh sakes? :)

She still is Penny, long or short hair. I could never see anyone replacing her as Penny, and it does look cute in those business suits.

Goes without saying. Except that all the L'Oreal ads have destroyed the peoples ability to exercise critical judgement. :)

Edit: Ok I admit it. Its hair envy. Even with her pixie cut her hair is still way better than mine. More of it, better colour and she is still able to do that hair toss thing that I could only attempt when I was seventeen and trying to look like Freddie Mercury.

And don't get me started on the abs.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Did I have to put the sarcasm note in bold, fer gosh sakes? :)

I wasn't referring to your post, just those that don't like her hair. I know your sarcasm by now ;)

My two cents....

Sheldon has never considered his and Amy's relationship to be "romantic", regardless of the hand holding and kissing.  He considers them to be in an intellectual pair bond.  He does the "romantic stuff" to make Amy happy.

Amy, in Season 7 - The Cooper Extraction - they are decorating the tree and Amy is imagining Sheldon and Penny in the laundry room, when Sheldon rejects Penny's advances, he says that he is saving himself for a cute micro-biologist with hair the color of mud.  Sheldon is not there, this is Amy's vision of the scene, she provides the dialog.

Sheldon is the one who suggests that they ask their significant others about the comic book store funding idea, not the married guy or the engaged guy.  Sheldon often asks Amy for her opinion about things and respects that opinion.  The whole "I'm going to ask you a question and if you don't agree with me, I question our relationship" is a ploy all couples use.  I've been married 30 years and (please note, this is broadly stated) I have used the "this is the color I want to paint the kitchen, and if you don't like it, you are not the man I married" ploy more than once to get my way (and I am not ashamed, the man is color blind)

The scene with the "freckles on the butt line"....his sweet smile and then he hands her the sandwich (?) wrapped in foil, was it just me or was that symbolic in some way?  Did he hear her comment or not?

All in all, I like the episode.  I don't sense a breakup, Chuck Lorre at Paley Fest talked about how intrigued the writers are with this relationship.   I will ship them to death.  :) 

• Like 7

@ djsurrey; The point you seem to be missing is that Emily didn't know Penny was a pharma sales rep when they met but already disliked her cuz of the Raj thing. Her attitude during Penny's practice session is directly related to this and not Emily's assumed dislike of supposedly incompetent sales reps, which we don't know that Penny is.

@ djsurrey; The point you seem to be missing is that Emily didn't know Penny was a pharma sales rep when they met but already disliked her cuz of the Raj thing. Her attitude during Penny's practice session is directly related to this and not Emily's assumed dislike of supposedly incompetent sales reps, which we don't know that Penny is.

How do you know that?

What Emily seemed to say to Penny was she thought she could handle it (the past hookup) and then saw how good looking Penny is. From my point of view that is not by itself enough for Emily to hate Penny or give her much of a reason to prejudge Penny. 

I think we know that Penny is incompetent as a sales rep because we know she lacks any relevant education. Being incompetent does not necessarily mean she won't make a pile of money. This is TV land and anything can happen (I'm reminded of Forrest Gump) Perhaps I judge competency differently than some of you do.

It was never explicitly stated what or how much Raj told Emily about Penny. So I ask myself why would Emily really hate her. Well one thing the bugs the #[email protected]% out of me is getting a sales pitch from someone who does not have a clue what they are talking about. The idea that someone would go from waiter/actor to technical sales without an education would be in itself aggravating. If she was smooth and polished (good pitch) but I knew that she did not have the educational background to actually understand what she was saying it would come across to me like a big con and I'd want to pitch her out on her ear.  The thought that Penny could have a propensity to have hook ups with people she is not really dating would make me think she is a con all the more. So I'm saying what Emily admitted to was possibly only the tip of the iceberg (pun).

From this point of view Emily hating Penny makes a lot of sense and the scenes are actually very funny. But by all means go on thinking that Emily had no actual reason to dislike Penny and then like so many others here you can hate the episode.

Edited by djsurrey

How do you know that?

What Emily seemed to say to Penny was she thought she could handle it (the past hookup) and then saw how good looking Penny is. From my point of view that is not by itself enough for Emily to hate Penny or give her much of a reason to prejudge Penny. 

I think we know that Penny is incompetent as a sales rep because we know she lacks any relevant education.

It was never explicitly stated what or how much Raj told Emily about Penny. So I ask myself why would Emily really hate her. Well one thing the bugs the #[email protected]% out of me is getting a sales pitch from someone who does not have a clue what they are talking about. The idea that someone would go from waiter/actor to technical sales without an education would be in itself aggravating. If she was smooth and polished (good pitch) but I knew that she did not have the educational background to actually understand what she was saying it would come across to me like a big con and I'd want to pitch her out on her ear.  The thought that Penny could have a propensity to have hook ups with people she is not really dating would make me think she is a con all the more.

From this point of view Emily hating Penny makes a lot of sense and the scenes are actually very funny. But by all means go on thinking that Emily had no actual reason to dislike Penny and hate the episode.

As you stated We don't know exactly what Raj told Penny. what we do knows is Raj told Emily that he hooked up with Penny and that we saw her act cold toward Penny in the apartment She also said she was okay with Penny until emily saw how pretty she was.. it can't be assumed that Raj mentioned her new job or Penny being a waitress before that.

Did I say I hated the episode? Anyway that's neither here nor there. Emily appeared cool to Penny right from when she was introduced. That would be before she knew Penny was a sales rep. From that and the conversation with Amy and Bernie I conclude that Emily's attitude during the sales pitch had little to do with Penny's qualifications and more personal animosity because Raj "hooked up" with her. And didn't Emily herself say she didn't like Penny because she had fooled around with Raj and she was pretty?

Just so you know, I rated it Good. I thought there were some funny lines, particularly from Amy and I didn't find anything negative towards Lenny.

Edited by gsxdoug

I'd point out she didn't sound incompetent when she was going through her sales pitch.

• Like 4

I'd point out she didn't sound incompetent when she was going through her sales pitch.

Agreed. She sounded confident and well versed in the product she was selling.

Just watched that part again. The comment about acne and contraception? I'd say she was a fish out of water. A waste of the dermatologists time.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1