Your Episode Rating  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad

"...grow a deal..."    ?  even google is not helping me with that one.

Interesting that our genius team were all so hopeless as getting focus. Also, seemed kind of dumb that these guys would look to back to the future for ideas. How could I complain about the writing when this episode is getting so much praise.

Their love of sci-fi movies is a big part of who the guys are - so I think it was only natural that it would occur to them to invent something from Back to the Future II, especially since 2015 is only a couple months away - I am actually a bit disappointed that we don't have hover boards, self drying cloths or flying cars yet, although the movie did correctly predict I-pads, skyping and 3-D televisions.

Edited by luke
  • Like 1

I just think our brilliant physics and engineering team would realize we are not going to have hover boards any more than we are going to have Speckerman's far fetched idea. There is no physics principle that would allow a hover board to work as depicted in the movie.

Science fiction movies are really bad at predictions of future technologies.

http://io9.com/5989200/20-lies-back-to-the-future-ii-told-us-besides-the-hoverboard

( that story from 2013 missed that hovering camera's would be a reality in 2014 -- setting that aside the story did other things right)

At last the guys did not decide to invent a time machine over the weekend.

Their love of sci-fi movies is a big part of who the guys are - so I think it was only natural that it would occur to them to invent something from Back to the Future II, especially since 2015 is only a couple months away - I am actually a bit disappointed that we don't have hover boards, self drying cloths or flying cars yet, although the movie did correctly predict I-pads, skyping and 3-D televisions.

Every time I watch Back to the Future I always giggle that hover boards are still not here :p.

I just think our brilliant physics and engineering team would realize we are not going to have hover boards any more than we are going to have Speckerman's far fetched idea. There is no physics principle that would allow a hover board to work as depicted in the movie.

Science fiction movies are really bad at predictions of future technologies.

http://io9.com/5989200/20-lies-back-to-the-future-ii-told-us-besides-the-hoverboard

( that story from 2013 missed that hovering camera's would be a reality in 2014 -- setting that aside the story did other things right)

At last the guys did not decide to invent a time machine over the weekend.

I haven't yet seen the episode, but I did read the taping report.

I think the point of the guys' storyline is that even though they are all brilliant scientists, that when it comes to a situation like this, their hobbies and love of sci-fi, no matter how far-fetched, is going to distract them from making any progress.

These are guys who spend time debating how superman keeps his superman clothes clean, the energy storage capacity of kryptonian skin cells, where Aquaman goes to pee or poop, etc.. Their preoccupation with sci-fi, comic book characters and other "fun" stuff is always going to influence their thinking.

The fact that they hold these things up to real science and try to work out the logic of them adds to their level of distraction.

And of course they're not going to invent anything extraordinary on the show. That would be like having Sheldon actually discover a real element or whatever. If it doesn't really exist in science, the show's not going to pretend it does.

I think the closest they came was when the guys were working on that app. It supposedly worked, but it also disappeared from the narrative after that one episode.

Edited by phantagrae

Good vocabulary word, anviliciously. Interesting, though, it wasn't on dictionary.com. I had to google it.

Not mine. Wowbagger stumped me with it earlier in Shipping Lanes. LOL. urban dictionary (?) referenced it. I liked it too. Meep meep.

I love using the word anvilicious, but I never thought of turning it into an adverb. Well done, Wowbag. Well admired, NoGav. Techniquilly that would be my new favorite word if techniqualliliy I did not already have one which I will not mention to protect those who are techaniquelly innocent. El-o-el.

As for the episode, that was just pure fun and definitely picks my spirits back up after I wanted to throw rotten tomatoes at the last episode. Sometimes I scratch my head when almost the same writers manage to pull out something I loathe and then something I love back-to-back, but c'est la vie. I thought this episode was frothy and fun, and probably inconsequential to the big picture, but what does that matter? It reminded me of Scavenger Hunt last year - not important as far as the big picture was concerned, but still highlighted everyone at their best and showed off the cast's talent and the fun dynamics and chemistry.

Bernadette stole the episode for me, I thought she was hilarious, and I loved Amy's yellow shoes making a comeback. I think that this new side of Penny is really great, I love to see her growth. She was very likeable in this episode, what with her smiling over her friends drunk antics, studying hard even in the strip club, and torturing her friends just a bit the morning after and loving every minute of it. Amy's final roll off the bed, leaving one lone yellow shoe behind, was just hilarious.

But as much as I loved the girls, the boys were my favorite. Of all the things on the show which may have grown a little stale for me, the chemistry of the 4 boys together just never grows old. They were one of the few highlights last week, and they were one of my favorite things about the episode this week. The scene at the whiteboard dissecting Back to the Future II and struggling with word tenses was just brilliant. I also loved watching them rip tape off each others arms.

But one change which I find really interesting this week is a carry over from last week, in which I have noticed it has changed from Sheldon looking at his 3 lust-filled friends and shaking his head over their lack of focus on science to Leonard looking at his 3 friends and wondering how the hell to rein in the geeksanity just a tad bit. Last week, Leonard tried to lead them towards understanding why picking up kids in a van with candy wasn't an el primo idea, this week he struggles to keep them focused on their task. It's a funny change from Sheldon being the outsider to Leonard being the outsider, or at least struggling in his position as leader, and I'm enjoying that as something a little new and different in the boy's dynamic without it being radically out of line.

• Like 7

I haven't laughed like this for a while and I was very pleased to have the experience, especially today. Thw wonders of the large hadron colliders. Marvellous. LOL. The gaffer/duct tape bit was inspired. I so love to see stupid man stuff done by smart people who should know better. This show was of what they should do more. And the timeline patter was just glorious. Raj with the late "yes, he's right". This was about men in their shed. Pretty happy about this one.

And I'm sorry, but the Penny/hair/appeal question - answered for me (sure that was no accident). Thumbs up. :)

• Like 4

the girls stole the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was hilarious...i laughed out loud... literally! my husband thought i was crazy! :)

and the boys thought the girls distracted them... HA! they are easily distracted by anything goofy :p

i have to download the episode and show it to my students. ( just' the back to the future' grammar stuff.) it's a perfect example of what not to do! (because believe me, they've tried!  :icon_cheesygrin: ) 

Edited by Kelli
  • Like 3

This one moved up quickly into one of my all time favourite episodes. Non stop laughs from start to finish for me - and I haven't heard my son laugh this much for a long time. I remember in the Season 8 Wishlist thread one of my wishes was for the boys to return to their geek nature for some vintage BBT laugh out loud humour and they all went back to their roots tonight, especially Sheldon. No nastiness, no Shamy angst ( not to imply I'm against the Shamy, but nice to get a break from the "how will Sheldon treat Amy this week?" dilemma - plenty of episodes left for that), no superiority competition just good old fashioned long winded monologues, trivial tidbits from the dark recesses of his mind, endless references to his secret love affair with TV and movies and he was so happy just being with the boys. Howard was free from the stress of worrying about "Stubbie" ( too soon for Stuart/Debbie Wolowitz match up name?!?) Raj was just being funny silly instead of douche silly and yeah, like Lionne said I liked Leonard's tortured leader role. I love all of their relationship twists and dramas but I'm hoping the writers occasionally put aside episodes dedicated to celebrating what these 4 originally were. It was just fun to watch, and it looked like they as actors enjoyed going back to their characters' old days. Such a contrast to the complete lack of fun and energy last week's episode exuded.

I say this a lot but my favourite episodes are always the ones that have one of two plots, whether it's all 7 together or separate boy/girl plots. Longer scenes, less scenes, extended interactions just does it for me so much more than constant chop and change.

The girls were great from start to finish as well from their instant dismissal of Leonard's need to seek permission as if they had nothing better to do through to the Bernie/Amy show. For a change they were front and centre tonight with Penny in support and I liked that as a change up. And they interacted as friends, not as the girlfriends who spent all their time whinging about their husband/fiancé/boyfriend and the stresses of their relationships. Like the boys' story, it was just a joyous episode full of physical comedy as well as some funny lines. and yeah, nograv, Penny's hair didn't matter by the end of the episode tonight!

I'm sure there will be some who didn't like something about the show - I noticed a couple of bad ratings in the votes - but for me it was just brilliant and the laughs were needed so I couldn't fault it. The show needs episodes like this to serve no other purpose other than to be funny - no dramas, no angst, no relationship issues, just a bunch of friends having a laugh and us enjoying the ride. Back to the serious relationship stuff next week.

• Like 7

OK - I just had a minor head canon explosion.

I watched a clip from last night and this jumped at me:

Leonard:  We sent the girls away so we could focus

Sheldon: I don't think it worked

Sheldon always resisted the notion of a "true" romantic relationship because he thought it was (and would be) a distraction.

Is this the clue stick whapping him on the head??

*CALLBACK*  Season 7 - Psychic: He should give himself to this relationship. Once he does, all his other pursuits will come into focus

• Like 7

If she had studied in the earlier episode when Bernadette asked, I would have bought it.

But this is just as IC as Sheldon suddenly bringing Amy serenades etc.

Oh, please. 3ku11 nailed it: if Penny studies in a situation where she'd previously want to party, she's OOC, but if she doesn't, she's lazy. She can't win with some people.

Edited by Martin Pollard

Oh, please. 3ku11 nailed it: if Penny studies in a situation where she'd previously want to party, she's OOC, but if she doesn't, she's lazy. She can't win with some people.

Wow over reacting much?

Guess I hit a nerve with some ppl.

Edit: lol you quickly removed the BS.

Edited by Chiany

If she had studied in the earlier episode when Bernadette asked, I would have bought it.

But this is just as IC as Sheldon suddenly bringing Amy serenades etc.

How is anybody over reacting when you wrote this? Penny DID study in previous episodes. And this is coming from a fellow Shamy shipper and someone who's not a big fan of Penny for the most part but on this, I have to defend her.

I think she found something in this job that sparked her interest and she's wanting to give it her best shot. And on that, i say good for her!

• Like 2

Pe

Wow over reacting much?

I hit a nerve with some when I call Amy a doormat. I couldn't call her that tonight since she had no interaction with Sheldon. I noticed you didn't refute what @tensor said earlier.

Wow over reacting much?

Yes, I did. It's called "regretting going over the top." But no, I'm not overreacting in my opinion that some people stupidly slam Penny no matter what she does (and I'd say that about anyone who does that to ANY of the characters). If pushing back again that behavior makes some people uncomfortable, then so be it; I never claimed to be a subtle person.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

I think the problem some people were having was that penny got left out of the fun and didn't get a chance to be funny (being the smug sober person doesn't count.). Character growth and being serious about something is fine and everything, but IRL and in fiction it has no place on your girls' weekend Vegas, baby. Since Penny hasn't been having a lot of fun these first few episodes while Amy and Bernadette are on this weird comic Renaissance... I can see people wishing she'd had cut loose a little. Being partially unclothed was a good start, but didn't address the fact that she didn't get any really great lines or physical comedy bits.

• Like 1

I am stunned there is anything to debate about with this episode. It was perfect Ensemble comedy!! Thought every camp would love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Since Penny hasn't been having a lot of fun these first few episodes while Amy and Bernadette are on this weird comic Renaissance... I can see people wishing she'd had cut loose a little. Being partially unclothed was a good start, but didn't address the fact that she didn't get any really great lines or physical comedy bits.

Talking about clothing. What the he_l was Amy wearing? That outfit had no business in Vegas. Nome Alaska maybe. The costume department seemed to play a cruel joke on Amy/Mayim in this one.

I think the problem some people were having was that penny got left out of the fun and didn't get a chance to be funny (being the smug sober person doesn't count.). Character growth and being serious about something is fine and everything, but IRL and in fiction it has no place on your girls' weekend Vegas, baby. Since Penny hasn't been having a lot of fun these first few episodes while Amy and Bernadette are on this weird comic Renaissance... I can see people wishing she'd had cut loose a little. Being partially unclothed was a good start, but didn't address the fact that she didn't get any really great lines or physical comedy bits.

I disagree. Penny has had plenty of great lines and physical comedy bits over the past seven years; I don't believe we need to see it in every single episode. Remember, too, that she was more than ready and willing to cut it up with the girls before she got that email. In previous years, we might have seen her blow off her work commitments with some lame excuse in order to go partying; now, we see her making a serious effort to do well, even more than we saw during her "college renaissance" phase (and she did get to relax and have fun the next day). I also disagree about the "smug, sober person" part, as I really enjoyed seeing how amused she was at her friends' drunken antics... and part of that amusement probably stems from the fact that it's normally her in that position. I'd be amused at the irony, too! :)

Talking about clothing. What the he_l was Amy wearing? That outfit had no business in Vegas. Nome Alaska maybe. The costume department seemed to play a cruel joke on Amy/Mayim in this one.

Amy bows to no fashion sense! :) Besides, dressing her up as a slut bunny with her "Large Hadron Colliders" on full display would have been extremely OOC for her (and we know that Mayim herself would never go for it).

• Like 6

PeI hit a nerve with some when I call Amy a doormat. I couldn't call her that tonight since she had no interaction with Sheldon. I noticed you didn't refute what @tensor said earlier.

You mean where he pointed out that eventually did study?

Okay, he was right there, but it took all episode for her to "give in" and study.

But I guess it's just me that has troubles understanding where this Penny is coming from.

Nail on head Martin! Add to that the fact that she is working her rear-end off to start her life with Leonard....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Okay, he was right there, but it took all episode for her to "give in" and study.

This is what's called moving the goalpost. The original contention gets refuted, so the contention is changed. This one has gone from "if she studied I'd believe her changing." To "OK, she studied, but it took all episode, so I still don't believe it.

• Like 4

But I guess it's just me that has troubles understanding where this Penny is coming from.

It's probably overdo for Penny to really put effort into studying. Maybe it's the realization that's she engaged now and her no worry days are behind her. In reality giving in to studying within the episode was probably advancement. In this episode she got done what she needed to do and was ready to go to the pool. At that point Amy and Bernadette were out cold. The viewer just didn't  see Penny's fun part of the trip.(I myself wouldn't of minded seeing Penny laying at the pool. LOL)

I have to agree she wasn't funny in this episode. I rarely laugh at any of Penny's lines, but I will give her credit when she's funny; this was not one of those episodes, she was just blah for me. Pretty sure the writers had the same feeling, so naturally they put her in a bikini at the end of the episode to make up for her lack of comedy. ;)

I liked the BTTF scene but apart from that, the guys storyline wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be either.

Edited by denajeanx

Perhaps Penny learned last night that you don't need to get stinking drunk to enjoy herself. She was generally amused watching the antics of her friends and didn't seem to be completely dejected that she wasn't joining in....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 2