The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

806 The Expedition Approximation (October 20)

Your Episode Rating  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

:shy:Hello. First post!

This one had both high and low points for me. I loved the Sheldon/Raj storyline but the others were kind of meh for me tonight. I am thinking (and maybe hoping) that we will get to see more of Sheldon's emotional progress in coming episodes. :icon_rolleyes:Especially since I am concerned they will run low on material for Penny and Leonard.

I think they are definitely moving toward Bernadette becoming a bit more Mrs. Wollowitz-like!

On a shallow note, Jim is gorgeous and I am liking how much healthier he seems to look now compared to when they started. And wow what beautiful eyes he has!

• Like 6

I like the Episode thought, It was Good i Thought, I like the argument between Penny and Leonard in he apartment and them passing the money back and forth  lol, that was my favorite scene. I like the storyline with Sheldon and Raj and the ending sat the end of the episode. Overall it was a Good Episode.

The AV Club gave them a B-  http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/big-bang-theory-expedition-approximation-210735

Everyone has insecurities. Whether in regards to our careers, our relationships, our sexual performance, our media consumption or any other number of things, we all have certain sore spots that, when mentioned or exploited, leave us feeling terrible about ourselves. Few feelings are as human as being self-aware of our failures. “The Expedition Approximation” builds around the exploration of various insecurities, and while the overall effect isn’t overly profound, it’s a welcome change of pace in a season that’s had its own fair share of shortcomings.

• Like 4

The episode was okay and I think that might be generous. The Lenny part of the story was okay. The money issues were funny but the leonard bad in bed innuendo and Penny doing it with prior guys killed the bedroom scene. Howard needs to get a spine and Bernadette mentioning how much money she makes is getting old. Her talking down to howard was totally inappropriate in front of Lenny. Sheldon and Raj underground was the best part of the show when discussing Sheldon's career. Amy was totally unnecessary for this episode. She took the Raj part as the third wheel.

I voted "Okay". Usually the episodes turn out to be way better than the taping report, but I have to disagree on that one. I have issues mostly with the Leonard and Penny scenes. The first 2 (?) in Penny's apartment felt a little rushed and robotic. They tried to make it look sweet, but to me, it didn't.

The episode was okay and I think that might be generous. The Lenny part of the story was okay. The money issues were funny but the leonard bad in bed innuendo and Penny doing it with prior guys killed the bedroom scene. Howard needs to get a spine and Bernadette mentioning how much money she makes is getting old. Her talking down to howard was totally inappropriate in front of Lenny. Sheldon and Raj underground was the best part of the show when discussing Sheldon's career. Amy was totally unnecessary for this episode. She took the Raj part as the third wheel.

I agree completely with this, although I did give it a bad.

The only good thing in this episode to me was Sheldon being honest about his feelings regarding his career.

And sadly yes, Amy could just as have been left out of this episode :(

And about Penny's money, did suddenly pay off alls thise creditcard debts she mentioned last episode?

Great episode! Sheldon/Raj were the best part for me. Jim stole the show tonight. Loved Sheldon's confession to Raj (and the singing!) And Amy made me laugh with the walkie-talkie.

The Lenny story wasn't that good or funny. Sheldon and Raj were the best of the episode. Bernie is getting on my nerves.

Overall good episode. The writers are clearly setting up Leonard/Penny for another crisis. She being preoccupied with the new job, income divergence (you can smell she will be landing something big in the future), maybe an Alex-like situation with a client, not fully content with her sex life, they still do not share a common hobby, selling the car Leonard gave her without discussing it upfront, etc.

Sheldon's inner turmoil stemming from his switch from string theory to dark matter ("back to square one" in his 30s) is speaking to every viewer 30+ years old. Leaving your own zone of comfort vs. starting something entirely new. Good writing to add this to the character's depth.

As an aside note, the character that is really hardest to understand sometimes for a non-native speaker is Bernadette. Quite the challenge. Same with all the references to products unknown outside of the United States. Getting there...  :icon_arrowu:

And about Penny's money, did suddenly pay off alls thise creditcard debts she mentioned last episode?

One would assume she will use the money she'll be earning, not the money she sees as Leonard's so I don't think this is an issue.

Like many of you, I loved the moment between Sheldon and Raj.  Sheldon admitted the insecurity he feels about his career change, which is in contrast to the bravado he expressed earlier.  It's true in math so it's probably true in physics too that a lot of geniuses are considered past their prime by the time they're 35--or even earlier.  With that pressure already, the change in field of study is especially scary.  Raj's story about Voyager was really poignant and meaningful in response.

For me, this show is at its best when it shows why these people are friends--when they're getting along and enjoying each other rather than fighting.

• Like 6

I didn't have high expectations for this episode from reading the taping report, but it turned out better than I thought - first I have a real phobia about rats, they completely skeeve me out - I could barely sit through Ratatouille - so the rats appearing behind Raj made me cringe, and as much as I love Sheldon, his fleeing to let Raj fend off the rats by himself was definitely not cool,  I did like the tag scene though with an enraged Raj ripping Sheldon a new one, I can't blame Raj for being angry about that - I also liked the scenes between Raj and Sheldon in the steam tunnel before that rats appeared - Sheldon's mining song and discussing Hannah Montana's disguise vs Clark Kent's was funny and Sheldon admitting his fear about starting over in a new career in his 30's showed his vulnerability vs the outside arrogance he shows to the world and despite his brilliance, he has the same type of fears that we all do.

I enjoyed the Lenny argument about money, and loved the Penny made a framed photo of the car Leonard bought her, although since she has only had the job I few weeks, I don't know if she should have been so confident that the company car is going to last or that she will end up making more money than Leonard - I also like how they were passing the money from the car back and fourth at the dinner table trying to decide what to do with it, I thought they came up with a great solution to use the money for their wedding, the argument really should have ended there and I wish it had because I didn't like the scenes when they went to Howard and Bernadette for advise - I am tired of Bernadette rubbing it in to Howard about how much more money she makes than him and the allowance and chore chart were demeaning, and bringing it all up in front of Lenny made it worse - I don't know how much an aerospace engineer at a major university makes, but I am sure it isn't peanuts, and it is certainly enough for Howard to buy a Star Trek collectable pate with his own money, but I am glad that Howaerdette made up in the end and I liked Penny's comment to Leonard that it was a good lesson in what not to do once they are married - so while there were a few parts of the episode I didn't like, over all I enjoyed it and ranked it as good - just please, no more rats.

Edited by luke

Enjoyed the episode.  Glad Penny and Leonard worked out their differences without Penny getting too bitchy or Leonard getting too whiny.  Though I do think he was making too big a deal over the money and should have just kept it and put in an account to use like he said for the wedding without trying to keeping giving it back to her.  I do like that Penny was nice enough to get that Best Fiance ever frame and surprise Leonard, I like it when she surprises him like that!   Reminds me of time she got Leonard and Sheldon the Star Trek Transporter toys and surprised Leonard.

Now as for Howard and Bernadette, they are always fighting over money because Howard keeps acting like Bernie is his mom and not his wife and she keeps acting like his mom.  She should just keep all her own money and let him keep his pay check to do what he wants with it and when he runs out of money he's not allowed to ask her for anything until he learns how to be more responsible.  But I got to admit the chore chart thing with the gold stars was hilarious.

The best story of the evening for me was Sheldon and Raj, loved watching them bond down in the tunnel and Sheldon looks surprisingly good all sweaty lol  he glistens and sparkles, I wonder if the make up people used glitter mist spray cause he looked like he had glitter on his face when he was down there lol.  Love how Amy stayed up top to look out for him and tried to get them snacks.  She is so good to Sheldon.  I did feel bad for Raj that he got left down there with the rats, but i couldn't stop laughing either.  I got be honest if I was in a cave or tunnel like that and saw big huge rats like that I'd run away too and save myself cause Rats bite lol.  But I do love that Sheldon was so willing to open up to Raj and wow he actually brought up his age sort of seems like its been forever since anyone mentioned how old they might be.  I figured mid thirties, but really wish they just tell us the characters fake ages why is that a secret like Penny's last name?  :p  

Overall, it was a enjoyable episode.  Also in case y'all were wondering Raj's girlfriend Emily was on Sleepy Hollow tonight playing a character named Caroline it was funny seeing her on a totally different show than TBBT.  But i'm sure she'll come back to Raj very soon lol

I believe through a few references we have determined that Sheldon was born in 1980 and would therefore be 34.  The one that comes immediately to mind is when he is telling Amy about his mortal enemies list and how he started it when he was 9, and then he complained about Verbatim corporation in 1989.

I gave it a merely okay; the episode didn't make me laugh much and all 3 closing jokes in the tag were total duds. One thing I remember from rewatching season 5 was appreciating how almost every single episode closed on a laugh-out-loud funny joke, and that left you with a happy feeling about the episode. That Penny had had sex on money before and that irked Leonard, that Howard got all childishly happy about the thought of his birthday party and dropped the snuggle with Bernie, that Raj came in yelling at Sheldon and the "repeating the obvious" line, which hasn't been funny since Leonard's Mom used it about "look Mommy, a butterfly" and now we got it twice in one episode.....no, none of that was funny.

The best scene was actually the heartfelt one with Raj and Sheldon down in the tunnel. Seeing Sheldon confess about that was interesting and touching - a real moment in an episode which otherwise felt rather manufactured and done by rote than with a lot of feeling. The other good moment was Penny bringing out the framed picture; they were cute for a moment there.

The idea to put the money into a joint account for the wedding was the best one and I wish they had FINISHED on that, after sex on the money did not pan out first. But apparently that had to get sidetracked as Leonard and Penny dug at each other over insecurity/control issues, which feels really flat at this stage in the game in their relationship. Totally time for them to move on from those things that make it feel like it's hard to understand why this relationship works to those things which show why it does, which they can also show when they want to.

I was not shocked or offended that Howard has a chore chart. In all honesty, I came down on Bernie's side in part of this; as she said, she was going for honesty about their financial situation, and she was sympathetic about the male-model of usually being the provider and how that was hard on Howard. I might be more sympathetic to Bernadette because I just rewatched an episode from season 5 were Howard sulks because no one cut up his pancakes for him. Remembering that this guy came from the point of being so spoiled when he and Bernie got engaged that he was used to his mother still cutting up his food for him, and that he was petulant when Bernie left to get him butter without cutting up the pancakes for him, reminded me just how far Howard has come but still has to go, and I could not imagine Bernie's annoyance at having to push him along that particular path. If I was dealing with a guy like Howard, I'd probably have dumped him long ago, or be bashing him over the head with a sauce pan, not trying to keep my patience while speaking between gritted teeth trying to coax a straight and honest answer out of him about how much he spent on a hideous collectible item.

Also, they really need to find a new way, or try something else, with their cold opens. How many episodes this season have already opened on 1) the guys sitting around eating in the cafeteria, and the exposition in that scene sets up the episode or 2) the gang sits around eating in S/L's apartment and the exposition in that conversation sets up the episode? That seems to be the standard set up over and over again; other than Sheldon opening the season in his underpants.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Penny's lipstick in the cold open was so awful I could think or notice nothing else. Orange lipstick? I was shuddering every time the camera panned to her. Horrible horrible horrible.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 6

I gave it a merely okay; the episode didn't make me laugh much and all 3 closing jokes in the tag were total duds. One thing I remember from rewatching season 5 was appreciating how almost every single episode closed on a laugh-out-loud funny joke, and that left you with a happy feeling about the episode. That Penny had had sex on money before and that irked Leonard, that Howard got all childishly happy about the thought of his birthday party and dropped the snuggle with Bernie, that Raj came in yelling at Sheldon and the "repeating the obvious" line, which hasn't been funny since Leonard's Mom used it about "look Mommy, a butterfly" and now we got it twice in one episode.....no, none of that was funny.

The best scene was actually the heartfelt one with Raj and Sheldon down in the tunnel. Seeing Sheldon confess about that was interesting and touching - a real moment in an episode which otherwise felt rather manufactured and done by rote than with a lot of feeling. The other good moment was Penny bringing out the framed picture; they were cute for a moment there.

The idea to put the money into a joint account for the wedding was the best one and I wish they had FINISHED on that, after sex on the money did not pan out first. But apparently that had to get sidetracked as Leonard and Penny dug at each other over insecurity/control issues, which feels really flat at this stage in the game in their relationship. Totally time for them to move on from those things that make it feel like it's hard to understand why this relationship works to those things which show why it does, which they can also show when they want to.

The show does have an unfortunate habit of stepping on moments with a joke instead of letting the moment be - in this episode there was the touching Voyager story Raj told to ease Sheldon's clautrophobia stepped on by Sheldon bailing on Raj after seeing the rats, there was Howardette's make up sex after a particularly nasty argument (Bernie late pays on a credit card and that was Howard's fault?) stepped on by Howard's childish birthday comment and then Lenny were about to have sex rolling  on a bed full of money, and it was stepped on by Penny inferring it wasn't the first time she had done it - TBBT is one of the funniest shows ever and has countless great lines, but not every scene has to end with a joke - sometimes they need to let a moment be.

Edited by luke
  • Like 3

There's one minor thing that nags me.  Why was Amy transcribing Sheldon's notes?  Is it because she's female and therefore automatically put in a secretarial role?  Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it jumped out at me.

• Like 1

I think in future some need to lower your expectations. Even in the greats, after a while consistency is not as good. Like said ep should of ended with a LOL joke, but some reason the writers choose not to. But things as they were, dont significantly change at the end, so why does it matter, they fight to live another day.

There's one minor thing that nags me. Why was Amy transcribing Sheldon's notes? Is it because she's female and therefore automatically put in a secretarial role? Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it jumped out at me.

Yeah i think your being to sensitive lol.

• Like 2

Lio. Couldn't agree more with what you said. it seems the writers forgot this is season 8 with Lenny not season 6 with regards to insecurities. I'm just happy someone else saw the same episode I did.

• Like 1

The show does have an unfortunate habit of stepping on moments with a joke instead of letting the moment be - in this episode there was the touching Voyager story Raj told to ease Sheldon's clautrophobia stepped on by Sheldon bailing on Raj after seeing the rats, there was Howardette's make up sex after a particularly nasty argument (Bernie late pays on a credit card and that was Howard's fault?) stepped on by Howard's childish birthday comment and then Lenny were about to have sex rolling on a bed full of money, and it was stepped on by Penny inferring it wasn't the first time she had done it - TBBT is one of the funniest shows ever and has countless great lines, but not every scene has to end with a joke - sometimes they need to let a moment be.

Well its like Friends they rarley left a moment be without a joke. Same with Big Bang. Should it be different? Maybe but its a comedy, not a romcom a pure comedy.

I think in future some need to lower your expectations. Even in the greats, after a while consistency is not as good. Like said ep should of ended with a LOL joke, but some reason the writers choose not to. But things as they were, dont significantly change at the end, so why does it matter, they fight to live another day.

I think it goes both ways. I think people should have higher expectations.I don't buy the idea since nothing significantly changed at the end it doesn't matter. Just because there is an episode next week doesn't excuse a mediocre one this week.
  • Like 1

I think it goes both ways. I think people should have higher expectations.I don't buy the idea since nothing significantly changed at the end it doesn't matter. Just because there is an episode next week doesn't excuse a mediocre one this week.

Well until were in their posistion as writers. We dont kno how hard it is to delever consistently quality eps every week. And please everyone just saying.

For me the most interesting part of this episode was when Raj started to talk about Voyager. Raj pointed out that it launched before he was born.

I was actually 16 when they launched. I had read a book that discuss the mission years before that. I remember because I was on summer vacation with my cousins. One was reading Lord of the Rings and the other was reading the Hobbit. I needed a book to read so I picked up The Cosmic Connection: An Extraterrestrial Perspective by Carl Sagan. One of the things I still remember was him writing about voyager. I am not sure what year it was that I was reading that book  but I think it was closer to 1973 (publish date) than to 1977 (the launch year and also the year that Star Wars was released).

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/timeline.html

• Like 1

Well until were in their posistion as writers. We dont kno how hard it is to delever consistently quality eps every week. And please everyone just saying.

i think Luke sort of saiid this but I think at times they overthink a scene instead of letting it be. more isn't always better.
  • Like 1