The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

806 The Expedition Approximation (October 20)

Your Episode Rating  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

There's one minor thing that nags me. Why was Amy transcribing Sheldon's notes? Is it because she's female and therefore automatically put in a secretarial role? Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it jumped out at me.

Aha! Yes it was odd, considering that he has Leonard to do these things generally. And why doesn't he just have the software to transcribe spoken word. LOL. But it put the three of them in the same space at the same time and made another joke possible.

I think the show is in a difficult part of their run, as most of the novelties had had their outings and they are circling back and revisiting old gags. It still nice to see them but they don't have the shock of the new anymore.

I liked the episode overall but don't know why its always funny to rub Leonard's face in the fact that Penny has had a more varied sex life than him. She had the grace to looked apologetic but why the hell didn't she just lie? It is tiresome to see poor Leonard find out again that he is not doing something unique. It makes no sense. Is Penny really that inconsiderate? I know they are getting married and that's special (oh, wait... Zack) but like the show, the girl needs to pull out some new tricks too. I'm not cranky about it, just a bit "meh".

And everything that Lio said (I think)... and brighter days ahead.

• Like 2

I think some people are taking things a little too seriously.

There are a few running gags--like Penny's prior sex life being way more varied than Leonard's, and Leonard's lack of extreme prowess in the bedroom.  I don't think that either of those points indicates any kind of dysfunction in their relationship.  It's simply an underscoring of the opposite corners they come from.  But their desire to work out a non-contentious way to deal with that pile of cash is what's more important.

As for Amy's smaller role, I believe this was one episode that was rehearsed while Mayim was observing a religious holiday, so that may explain why Amy's role was light in this one.  Mayim is a regular, so she appears in every episode, but they may have written her role in a lighter way so that she could have some time off without dropping her from the episode.

That may be why she had that transcribing role at the end, to give her another scene.  At any rate, I don't think she was superfluous.  I think her stuff with the walkie-talkie was still funny.

As for the cold opens in the cafeteria or in 4A, I think opening there helps us to either see multiple storylines sometimes, or to get a good look at how everyone feels about a certain issue.  I like it when the whole gang gets to discuss the issue--in this case, they brought up both lines the episode was going to follow--Penny's job and Raj and Sheldon's dark matter idea, with the whole group getting to weigh in on both points.

I also thought the tags were funny, so maybe I'm just stupid...

• Like 8

There's one minor thing that nags me.  Why was Amy transcribing Sheldon's notes?  Is it because she's female and therefore automatically put in a secretarial role?  Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it jumped out at me.

My 16 year old daughter wondered why he did not type the notes himself.

I had to agree it should be easy for him with his eidetic memory.

I think in reality it was to get Amy into a scene. TBBT is so into role reversal I don't think it was because she is female.

Lio, I noticed the lipstick too and was a bit scared to be honest. Maybe . she was suppose to wear that lipstick at the end of the last episode. I wouldn't of noticed then.

• Like 1

*rant mode on*

I'm watching it right now and can I just say something about the food?

Constantly having them in front of full plates, not eating and talking for several minutes without eating, is really getting on my nerves because it's NOT REALISTIC, and having something that unrealistic is killing it for me.

How many people like eating their food cold?!! And, I mean, it's like that in all the food scenes! How many times are the characters using and re-using their microwave for F sake??!!

And don't talk to me about that being because the actors would have to eat all the time becaus eof the number of takes, I am perfectly aware of how a shooting goes, thank you very much. How hard is it to make the characters talk after having finished eating, or at least with a half-eaten plate just like my family, friends and I normally do? No, they have to have full plates in front of them all the time... And of course, all the characters eat at the exact same rhythm; when one plate is full, everyone's is as well, and noone eats when someone is talking, riiiiight... This makes those scenes look so f*****ing FAKE!

*rant mode off*

Okay now, back to the episode. Sorry, I get angry more easily since I'm pregnant... I guess...

Edited by FrenchBBTfan
  • Like 1

I would like to see more Sheldon/Raj and Sheldon/Howard storylines and see Sheldok becoming better Friends with then and more connected which they have kind of been doing since last season,

I also hope we get a Sheldon/Leonard Storyline soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

I think some people are taking things a little too seriously.

There are a few running gags--like Penny's prior sex life being way more varied than Leonard's, and Leonard's lack of extreme prowess in the bedroom. I don't think that either of those points indicates any kind of dysfunction in their relationship. It's simply an underscoring of the opposite corners they come from. But their desire to work out a non-contentious way to deal with that pile of cash is what's more important....

Snip

I also thought the tags were funny, so maybe I'm just stupid...

No YOU'RE not just stupid. For me it is the show, not working hard enough to be surprising. It would be surprising if Leonard and Penny did something unique and for the first time instead of working through Penny's back catalogue. We know this bit of schtick regarding her history because they run it a lot. I don't think it means a relationship problem but playing from their list of golden hits killed the joke about the cash. It might have been funnier otherwise, and they could have done that by not going that little bit further. Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 7

Last night's Penny and Leonard storyline made me feel like the old Penny had returned in a different context.  One of the original frustrations for some of us was Leonard being a bit of a doormat with Penny.  Seemed like that had changed.  But now it feels like it's back.  Penny offers that she may make more money than Leonard in the future, and, of course, the old Leonard's not that good in the sack reference.  Leonard's a good guy, generous to a fault, has always supported Penny (not just financially), but it does feel like Penny's flexing her muscles again.  Originally it was "I'm hot, he's a geek, he'd never dump ME, blah, blah blah."  I'm all for Penny finding some success and financial independence... I guess I'm not thrilled with how she's handling it, vis a vis Leonard.  He is, by his own admission, full of insecurities, and she knows it, and I'd like to see more sensitivity on her part.

And, yes, I know, it's just a TV show.

• Like 5

One thing I take issue with is the disappearance of Penny's sweetness. Penny in Seasons 1 - 3 (to me anyway) seemed to be a little kinder to Leonard. Not so for the most part since Priya has been out of the picture. She has had moments, but more often than not,the edges have been a little sharper. They now also give credence to Sheldon's intimating her "slutty" (sorry a little harsh word) past....anyway, I just would like to see more sweetness, less put downs of Leonard's intimate performances....making a mountain of a molehill perhaps...

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Edited by hokie3457
  • Like 4

One thing I take issue with is the disappearance of Penny's sweetness. Penny in Seasons 1 - 3 (to me anyway) seemed to be a little kinder to Leonard. Not so for the most part since Priya has been out of the picture. She has had moments, but more often than not,the edges have been a little sharper. They now also give credence to Sheldon's intimating her "slutty" (sorry a little harsh word) past....anyway, I just would like to see more sweetness, less put downs of Leonard's intimate performances....making a mountain of a molehill perhaps...

Tapatalk

Yes! I just watched "Zarnecki Incursion" on TBS and it was so sweet how Penny came to the guys' defense and kicked that hacker guy, showing the contrast between Penny and Priya, who just thought computer games were childish. Penny didn't fully understand the fascination with the games either, but she knew it was important to the guys. Now Penny is dismissing Leonard's love of that game in the one scene (forgot the name of the game, sorry) and she's even wearing PANTSUITS! Which Penny herself said "suck"! She's turning into Priya!

• Like 1

I'm also getting tired of the jokes about Penny's past sex life. She's not one of my favorite characters on this show already and by constantly joking about her past sex life and all the times or guys she's had (including a 75 year old from what she mentioned in 8:02 The Junior Professor Solution), it doesn't help! I look at her every time and think "what a slut." I bet if I watched every episode from beginning to now and counted every reference and guys we know she's slept with, I bet it's more than the 31 that Sheldon & Amy counted on their first date she went with them on.

• Like 3

Yes! I just watched "Zarnecki Incursion" on TBS and it was so sweet how Penny came to the guys' defense and kicked that hacker guy, showing the contrast between Penny and Priya, who just thought computer games were childish. Penny didn't fully understand the fascination with the games either, but she knew it was important to the guys. Now Penny is dismissing Leonard's love of that game in the one scene (forgot the name of the game, sorry) and she's even wearing PANTSUITS! Which Penny herself said "suck"! She's turning into Priya!

it would be pretty funny if priya visited Raj and she and Penny ran into eachother while they were dressed alike
  • Like 2

This was the first episode of the entire 8th season I've seen. I'm usually busy with work, but last night I was finally able to watch one. I was excited. However..

It was bad. It was so so bad. I didn't even laugh. I cringed at the jokes. Dear sweet baby Harry, it was so awful. I hope the preprevious episodes aren't so horrendous

it would be pretty funny if priya visited Raj and she and Penny ran into eachother while they were dressed alike

That would be funny, I love to see them both in pantsuits staring at each other. Maybe they could use it at the end of this new job thing to give Penny the push to go back to acting.

I also always wanted to see Penny fight for Leonard instead of taking him for granted, she never really had to fight for him with Alex, he just assured her. I would like to Priya come back for Leonard, realizing she made a mistake and not caring that they are engaged, so Penny has to stand up to keep her man.

• Like 2

Tapatalk

The talk about Leonard's performance needs not to be discussed. In actuality Leonard is the one that brings it up. In regards to Sheldon calling Penny "slutty" I actually don't think he really means it. IMO he thinks the world of Penny.

I'm also getting tired of the jokes about Penny's past sex life. She's not one of my favorite characters on this show already and by constantly joking about her past sex life and all the times or guys she's had (including a 75 year old from what she mentioned in 8:02 The Junior Professor Solution), it doesn't help! I look at her every time and think "what a slut." I bet if I watched every episode from beginning to now and counted every reference and guys we know she's slept with, I bet it's more than the 31 that Sheldon & Amy counted on their first date she went with them on.

Did she really say that she slept with a 75 year old man? I mean, I know what she said, but... really? A line I never understood.

I am glad I did not read the taping report for this and was not flipping tables like some folks were.

In that context, I liked it.  I liked the L/P scenes, the H/B were funny (of course they were over the top, it's a comedy) and I liked the S/R/A.  I enjoy it when Sheldon is thrown for a loop and has to face his fears a bit, then of course as soon as you think there is a breakthrough - he bails.  Two steps forward, one step back.

I loved the song, Jim's singing makes me smile.

I will admit though, when he mentioned a mining song - I immediately thought of this one:  enjoy

http://youtu.be/AN7nfxx1ulw

• Like 3

I don't think Sheldon thinks Penny is/was a slut, wasn't Amy who posed that question?

Anyway, I don't think Sheldon considers "sleeping around" good or bad, since it not interesting to him, he probably hasn't thought about it.

This wasn't my favorite episode.  I really did like the Sheldon/Raj scenes though.  That was pretty entertaining.  The fighting about money- not so much. That was a little tedious (I know, I know, it's sitcom land - not real!) but still..........  And I agree with Kathy about Penny's "slutty-ness" - getting old.  I'm starting to think that whenever I see her too!

In some ways, I have to chuckle reading the complaints about the show. The complaints I've seen, in this thread, are extremely nitpicky . This is a show that is in it's eighth season, and is still the highest rated entertainment show on broadcast TV. This does not invalidate any of your feelings, and I'm not free of guilt in this either, as I've got my own things that bug me. But if you look at the overall situation, most of these things are on for less than 5 seconds, and are mostly there to provide laughs for the general audience, not a handful of rabid fans that over analyze everything, like we do. :)

• Like 8

This was a snoozefest for me. 2-3 chuckles that's it.

Leonard and Penny have no chemistry. Their scenes are not funny, it could have been ok it those scenes came across as sweet but even that is not there. Penny seems bitchy and Leonard seems like a wimp.The scenes between those felt so rushed. I hardly see any affection between those two. Did they even kiss once this entire season?

Howard, Bernadette was same old same old. Bernie just becomes even horrible.

For the past few seasons there have too many episodes of feel sorry for Sheldon , feel sorry for Sheldon. It has become hard for me to feel sorry for him.

GRADE: BAD

Edited by ATM
  • Like 1

In some ways, I have to chuckle reading the complaints about the show. The complaints I've seen, in this thread, are extremely nitpicky . This is a show that is in it's eighth season, and is still the highest rated entertainment show on broadcast TV. This does not invalidate any of your feelings, and I'm not free of guilt in this either, as I've got my own things that bug me. But if you look at the overall situation, most of these things are on for less than 5 seconds, and are mostly there to provide laughs for the general audience, not a handful of rabid fans that over analyze everything, like we do. :)

You are absolutely correct Tensor! I am among the guilty that take things portrayed in this relationship too seriously. Every once in a while, I can turn a corner and relax about things, but invariably I let myself get taken away....chant commencing: " only a tv show. Only a tv show. Only..."

Tapatalk

• Like 1

That would be funny, I love to see them both in pantsuits staring at each other. Maybe they could use it at the end of this new job thing to give Penny the push to go back to acting.

I also always wanted to see Penny fight for Leonard instead of taking him for granted, she never really had to fight for him with Alex, he just assured her. I would like to Priya come back for Leonard, realizing she made a mistake and not caring that they are engaged, so Penny has to stand up to keep her man.

I love that whole idea for an episode. I don't want Penny to give up entirely on acting either.