The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

806 The Expedition Approximation (October 20)

Your Episode Rating  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

This was a snoozefest for me. 2-3 chuckles that's it.

Leonard and Penny have no chemistry. Their scenes are not funny, it could have been ok it those scenes came across as sweet but even that is not there. Penny seems bitchy and Leonard seems like a wimp.The scenes between those felt so rushed. I hardly see any affection between those two. Did they even kiss once this entire season?

Howard, Bernadette was same old same old. Bernie just becomes even horrible.

For the past few seasons there have too many episodes of feel sorry for Sheldon , feel sorry for Sheldon. It has become hard for me to feel sorry for him.

GRADE: BAD

With only two storylines it did seem that the Lenny scenes were a bit rushed. I mentioned in the Lenny thread when was the last time they've been in bed together? No offense to Shamy fans but the Lenny has reached the affection level of Shamy. It's bad when my fellow Lenny shippers don't care if they kiss or not.

In regards to Howdette I'm convinced Howard's mother needs to keel over until their relationship improves.

While I understand the overabundance of feeling sorry for Sheldon episodes the Sheldon/Raj scene last night was the highlight of the show last night. Though I can understand why you thought the episode was bad.

All I have to say is, good for Raj!!  He was a good friend to Sheldon in this episode in many ways, and especially for speaking the truth.  

• Like 1

I actually would have rather watched Leonard and Penny go down to the bank and open their joint checking account then watch what happened at Howard and Bernadette's. Think it would have actually had a lot more comedic potential.

The Howard and Bernadette scene was distasteful. I don't enjoy that side of either of them. But then again, I love isn't a daisy farm for the rest of the group, so why should they get off easy?

I didn't actually enjoy the Sheldon and Raj scene because sewer scenes make me nervous because... OMFG RATS!!!!

• Like 1

A little off topic with regards to this particular episode but I have this fictional storyline in my head where Penny refuses to tell anyone her last name because it is something embarrassing like Penny Lane. And then when she goes to get her marriage license with Leonard everyone has to find out about it!

@MsTeller, the problem with that is the guys have been picking up her mail and packages for years. So they would have seen her last name.

Penny Ante:      Frivolous, low stakes, or "for fun" only; A game where no significant stake is likely to change hands

In some ways, I have to chuckle reading the complaints about the show. The complaints I've seen, in this thread, are extremely nitpicky . This is a show that is in it's eighth season, and is still the highest rated entertainment show on broadcast TV. This does not invalidate any of your feelings, and I'm not free of guilt in this either, as I've got my own things that bug me. But if you look at the overall situation, most of these things are on for less than 5 seconds, and are mostly there to provide laughs for the general audience, not a handful of rabid fans that over analyze everything, like we do. :)

You know this is my favorite show on TV and the best sitcom I have seen in a long time, but if professional critics are allowed to question a shows way of presenting a storyline, why can't we. It doesn't make us haters of the show, we would just like it to reach its full potential. I'm not trying to start a back and forth here, I am just trying to put out another reason some of us criticize.

• Like 2

Last night, I was very distracted so I wasn't able to watch with my usual focus.  I have to say maybe I should watch this way more often.

It wasn't a ROFLMAO kind of epi but I did chuckle a few times. 

I was impressed with the Lenny scenes.  Super impressed by Penny's maturity in bringing up a sensitive issue and I thought the scene was very well handled overall.  Also, that she knows Leonard so well to have given him that framed photo.  I also loved Leonard's suggestion about a joint account to use for their wedding, etc.   I will probably post in Lenny re: a few other observations.

I loved the Sheldon/Raj storyline.  I also noticed considerable growth and maturity from Sheldon as well.  I really liked the scene when Raj showed up at his office and they talked about trying the simulated environment expedition. 

Since it is a comedy the writers tend to push jokes to that brink of is it funny or creepy...I think they danced that line here with Howardette based on some of the comments.  However, I guess it didn't bother me.  I didn't really see it as Bernie being his mother but trying to deal with a husband who in fact lived with his mom for years and could spend his money on his hobbies pastimes without having to think about the bills.   Really the only part I would quibble about in the Howardette story line is the fact they do hammer home how Bernie is the breadwinner.  Overall, I think it reflects real life in an exaggerated way for a young married couple as they work out how to handle their finances. 

As I said, I was multi tasking so I may have missed a lot of the nuances but viewing this way it felt like a solid TBBT epi to me.  Not a top 10 but enjoyable all the same.

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 1

You know this is my favorite show on TV and the best sitcom I have seen in a long time, but if professional critics are allowed to question a shows way of presenting a storyline, why can't we. It doesn't make us haters of the show, we would just like it to reach its full potential. I'm not trying to start a back and forth here, I am just trying to put out another reason some of us criticize.

What part of this statement: "This does not invalidate any of your feelings, and I'm not free of guilt in this either, as I've got my own things that bug me." are you having trouble with?

I don't recall saying anyone being nitpicky was a hater of the show, can you point out the specific phrase that you think showed I think the nitpicks make anyone a hater? I also don't recall never said you couldn't criticize, perhaps you can point out that phrase also.

Better yet, how about you make your own statements and QUOTE mine, not paraphrase, my words. All I said was it was humorous to me that there were so many different things that we here on the forums nitpick, that the majority of regular viewers pay no attention too. How the hell you got haters and limiting criticism is beyond me.

• Like 1

My bad Tensor, I only wanted to quote a couple lines on your statement, but on my phone it is hard to do, so I just included the whole thing. I wanted to only reference the part about it being a popular show, which I strongly agree, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism and does not make us bad people (or some kind of haters) if we are the critics. I never meant to infur that you called us haters. If I was home on my computer it would have been quoted better.

It was a good episode for me. Sheldon opening up to Howard really shows how much he's grown, I'm gonna ignore the part where he left him with rats because that was done just to break the dark mood that his confession brought.

Leonard and Penny are surprising me with their 'no fights' policy. They've come a long way from the last season where everything turned into a fight or a proposal lol. It's adorable to see how they're dealing with the new challenges their relationship is bringing. I hope the writers don't put them through too much crap this season, they're doing great so far.

It was a good episode for me. Sheldon opening up to Howard really shows how much he's grown, I'm gonna ignore the part where he left him with rats because that was done just to break the dark mood that his confession brought.

Leonard and Penny are surprising me with their 'no fights' policy. They've come a long way from the last season where everything turned into a fight or a proposal lol. It's adorable to see how they're dealing with the new challenges their relationship is bringing. I hope the writers don't put them through too much crap this season, they're doing great so far.

You mean Raj instead of Howard ;)

• Like 1

What part of this statement: "This does not invalidate any of your feelings, and I'm not free of guilt in this either, as I've got my own things that bug me." are you having trouble with?I don't recall saying anyone being nitpicky was a hater of the show, can you point out the specific phrase that you think showed I think the nitpicks make anyone a hater? I also don't recall never said you couldn't criticize, perhaps you can point out that phrase also.Better yet, how about you make your own statements and QUOTE mine, not paraphrase, my words. All I said was it was humorous to me that there were so many different things that we here on the forums nitpick, that the majority of regular viewers pay no attention too. How the hell you got haters and limiting criticism is beyond me.

My point was not that they trod on the emotional moment, but that they walked all over the joke. The idea of having sex on the cash was funny as a standalone thing. Trying to top the joke with the historical reference was to my mind a mistake because it changed the focus from the novelty of "what a good way to take the heat out of the issue" back to the old "Penny had a life before Leonard" thing. And the performances were sincere. Leonard looked "deflated" and Penny looked apologetic. Alternatively they could have gone for "yes, but this time it's better". Still the history reference, but not the joy suck. Or reversed the order. It might have been funnier. Think about Raj and Leonard's Valentine''s Day trip to Switzerland. Down, then up.

• Like 2

Good episode over all since I have long since made peace with "Big Bang-onomics".

We know that the writers play fast and loose with the earnings of Leonard and Howard in order to keep the setup premise going. Leonard, a now renowned research Physicist who worked with Steven Hawkings, most likely near tenure, is a long way away financially from being out earned by a rookie pharma rep without a degree. Howard is not just any aerospace engineer but one who is world class, NASA's go to tech for space probes and International Space station engineering challenges. He's been to the ISS once and they wanted to send him again. Bernadette is making good money as a PH.D at Big Pharma but she is not likely out earning Howard in her first two years on the job. Leonard would be around 90K and would be over 175K at tenure. Howard is easily over 100K. But that's the real world and that's no fun.

Glad to see the self awareness of Sheldon in expressing his feelings on the state of his career to Raj. Did not expect that. Yes it was stepped on by a joke, but that was noteworthy.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

I was just thinking, the reason Bernadette and Howard probably are tight with their money is their still paying off student loans. I know it's sad.

• Like 1

My point was not that they trod on the emotional moment, but that they walked all over the joke. The idea of having sex on the cash was funny as a standalone thing. Trying to top the joke with the historical reference was to my mind a mistake because it changed the focus from the novelty of "what a good way to take the heat out of the issue" back to the old "Penny had a life before Leonard" thing. And the performances were sincere. Leonard looked "deflated" and Penny looked apologetic. Alternatively they could have gone for "yes, but this time it's better". Still the history reference, but not the joy suck. Or reversed the order. It might have been funnier. Think about Raj and Leonard's Valentine''s Day trip to Switzerland. Down, then up.

Again, my point was that there are quite a few different things that different people nitpick. I'm not above that, but, the general viewer will not even notice. I had no problem with the whole money-bed scene, but I understand why others may. But of the 15,650,000 (based on overnights) who watched it last night, 15,649,800 probably didn't even notice or care. It's the vocal 200 on the forums(or the critics) who are doing the nitpicking. That's what I find humorous. I didn't specify anyone's nitpick, as there are quite a few different ones. Everyone, feel free to nitpick to your hearts content, I'll still find it humorous, even if I agree with the problem your nitpick points out.

You mean Raj instead of Howard ;)

LMAO!! Yes, I'm not gonna edit it, otherwise your post will look weird lol thanks!!

Again, my point was that there are quite a few different things that different people nitpick. I'm not above that, but, the general viewer will not even notice. I had no problem with the whole money-bed scene, but I understand why others may. But of the 15,650,000 (based on overnights) who watched it last night, 15,649,800 probably didn't even notice or care. It's the vocal 200 on the forums(or the critics) who are doing the nitpicking. That's what I find humorous. I didn't specify anyone's nitpick, as there are quite a few different ones. Everyone, feel free to nitpick to your hearts content, I'll still find it humorous, even if I agree with the problem your nitpick points out.

Well, I guess if we didn't care we wouldn't notice. And I like to dissect - but not cut. LOL.

But that's like asking if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it still make a noise? Just because 15 million+ watched the show doesn't mean they all liked it. There's people who watch CBS from 7 to 10 CDT every night no matter what's on. There's people who watch the show for the last eight years that have never been on a forum. Just because they don't have an opinion on a forum doesn't mean they don't care. I'm not sure what poll there is out that proves 15,649,800 didn't notice or didn't care about the money-bed scene.

I mentioned in the Lenny thread when was the last time they've been in bed together? No offense to Shamy fans but the Lenny has reached the affection level of Shamy. It's bad when my fellow Lenny shippers don't care if they kiss or not.

I don't get your beef here. Just because they haven't been shown in bed together doesn't mean they haven't been in bed together. In fact there have been plenty of indications that they have been sleeping together on a fairly regular basis. Maybe there just hasn't been a need to show them in bed together. As for the level of affection being shown, no offense to the Shamy fans here either, but I don't see Amy and Sheldon holding hands, hugging, or having a fair amount of physical contact, or the aforementioned sleeping together.

But that's like asking if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it still make a noise?

All depends on your definition of noise, which has nothing to do with your point, but I always thought that was a dumb question.