The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

806 The Expedition Approximation (October 20)

Your Episode Rating  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

How about you go back and read my posts again, then you'll see how your comments make it look like you didn't understand what you read

But that's like asking if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it still make a noise?

What's like asking?  I never asked a question in that post.  

Just because 15 million+ watched the show doesn't mean they all liked it.

Can you point out where I said they did or did not like it? I said they the nitpicks we discuss or comment on here are not noticed by the general viewer.

There's people who watch CBS from 7 to 10 CDT every night no matter what's on.

Yeah, that was my point. Those type of viewers simply don't watch the show to do any deep thinking or interpretation. Definitely not to nitpick the show. Can we say your comment here is a a bit of hyperbole on your part? Or do you want me to question which poll you got this from?

There's people who watch the show for the last eight years that have never been on a forum.

So they won't be nitpicking the different things (or we won't know about it, same thing) we nitpick here, will they?  They either don't notice or don't care enough about the show to comment on it.

Just because they don't have an opinion on a forum doesn't mean they don't care.

It doesn't mean they noticed. Again, read the actual words of my posts. I didn't say they didn't care, I said the general viewer wouldn't pick up on the nitpicks we do, as they would have to be as involved as we are, and they're not here.

I'm not sure what poll there is out that proves 15,649,800 didn't notice

The same poll that proves some people watch CBS every night from 7-10, no matter what's on. Or, can you just think of this as the same type of hyperbole you used. Here let me explain it to you. Last night's ratings show 15.65 million people watched it. 200 is the number generally used as the number of people who are active on the forums, and thus have demonstrated they are into the show enough to join the forum to pick it apart. 15,650,000-200 is 15,649,800. Are there really 200 seriously active fans in fandom? Who knows, but from the number active here, at Fan Forum, at ShennyHQ (and the overlap), that's a good estimate, hence the 15,549,800. Is it completely accurate, hell no, but as a bit of hyperbole, the number of people who actually watch, vs the number of really active fandom, it pretty good.

or didn't care about the money-bed scene.

Again, you evidently didn't read my comments. I said I (me, Tensor, the one writing this, not anyone else) didn't have a problem with the money-bed scene. I never claimed anyone else didn't care about it. The difference is that there are people who found that scene funny and didn't notice (note the difference between not noticing and not caring) the things that Nograv found (I know five personally). The majority of people who watch this show do not analyze it as much as we do. None of my family or friends(except those here) analyze it, and they pretty much represent the general viewer. They watch it to get a few laughs and when it goes off, they don't think about it until it's on again. 

I'm also getting tired of the jokes about Penny's past sex life. She's not one of my favorite characters on this show already and by constantly joking about her past sex life and all the times or guys she's had (including a 75 year old from what she mentioned in 8:02 The Junior Professor Solution), it doesn't help! I look at her every time and think "what a slut." I bet if I watched every episode from beginning to now and counted every reference and guys we know she's slept with, I bet it's more than the 31 that Sheldon & Amy counted on their first date she went with them on.

And never mind about her adult sex life - it just wasn't funny. For me they could be as suggestive/ rude/ disrespectful as they like as long as it serves the joke. Comics can make jokes about pitchforking babies if it's funny in context, and the 75 year old guy gag was funny as joke in isolation (no way that was the character's experience) but here they took the potential of a comic novelty and trumped it with a washed up idea. It looked like they wanted to get a rhythm for the three tags to close out each story in the same way - because symmetry is pleasing. But Howard's defining boyishness is intrinsically funny and Sheldon's self-absorption is intrinsically funny, but there is nothing intrinsically funny about Penny having had a few more roots than others in the past. And in this context she just looked stupid - and abashed - for mentioning it.

I'm not even upset for the characters, I'm upset for the art of joke telling. It's a comedy - they know what funny is. They got one out of three right in the tags... though Howard's bit wasn't too bad. But they also couldn't quite persuade the two actors that the sexual history gag was funny - just look at their reactions. Both characters were shown to be unhappy. Where is the joke in that? Or maybe this the show's way of being portentous and it's a setup for drama.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 5

I really liked this episode and I voted "very good".

In that season 8, I think every part has its importance for the future developement of each character.
I'm delighted to see how they are all growing up, by themselves, in their couple, in their group of friends.

I had good moments where I laughed during that episode, I haven't enjoyed each scene the same way but I have felt that they (the writers) wants to give a "real" dimension to the show.

That moment between Sheldon and Raj for example, was perfect.

I've seen people frustrated here and there about the fact they cut the "Shamy hug" but as we can see on the promo picture, it wasn't a real hug.
Sheldon didn't seem to be "happy" about it and I think they were right to cut this part (for the rythm of this scene - I guess).
Also, after the third episode, I don't think I would have enjoyed this hug that much since it wasn't shared by the both sides.

My comment may surprise some of you since I'm a huge Shamy shipper, but as I already said before, I'm a fan of BBT above all else.

I think writers are always making their possible to do wise choices for the show and we have no right to interfer or worse, be insulting because we don't agree about one thing or another.
We're a fandom, we're on the same boat, we're watching the show, we're not doing it. 

Edited by Chrystalie
  • Like 6

I don't get your beef here. Just because they haven't been shown in bed together doesn't mean they haven't been in bed together. In fact there have been plenty of indications that they have been sleeping together on a fairly regular basis. Maybe there just hasn't been a need to show them in bed together. As for the level of affection being shown, no offense to the Shamy fans here either, but I don't see Amy and Sheldon holding hands, hugging, or having a fair amount of physical contact, or the aforementioned sleeping together.

All depends on your definition of noise, which has nothing to do with your point, but I always thought that was a dumb question.

Last night show with the money on the bed IMO was the time for that scene after a two year visual absence. Instead as nograv put it Leonsrd wad "deflated" and Penny was "apologetic" by the end of the scene. Not an upbeat scene. Comparing Lenny and Shamy is like comparing an 18 year old in high school and a three year old in s geometry class. of course the three year old can't do geometry but the 18 year can't be excited he did better on the test. At this point Lenny should be further along in their relationship.

In regards to the tree in the forest comment. You assumed that Lenny has been sleeping together. I agree. But I also assume that some people outside this forum didn't like money bed scene. it was suggested that only people on this forum noticed that and didn't like it. I find hard to believe a percentage of the 15 million non forum people didn't like the scene either. Do I have actual proof? No

I am glad I did not read the taping report for this and was not flipping tables like some folks were.

In that context, I liked it.  I liked the L/P scenes, the H/B were funny (of course they were over the top, it's a comedy) and I liked the S/R/A.  I enjoy it when Sheldon is thrown for a loop and has to face his fears a bit, then of course as soon as you think there is a breakthrough - he bails.  Two steps forward, one step back.

I loved the song, Jim's singing makes me smile.

I will admit though, when he mentioned a mining song - I immediately thought of this one:  enjoy

http://youtu.be/AN7nfxx1ulw

The mining song and Miley Cyrus conversation is up on TBBT You Tube Channel:

• Like 6

Last night show with the money on the bed IMO was the time for that scene after a two year visual absence. Instead as nograv put it Leonsrd wad "deflated" and Penny was "apologetic" by the end of the scene. Not an upbeat scene. Comparing Lenny and Shamy is like comparing an 18 year old in high school and a three year old in s geometry class. of course the three year old can't do geometry but the 18 year can't be excited he did better on the test. At this point Lenny should be further along in their relationship.

In regards to the tree in the forest comment. You assumed that Lenny has been sleeping together. I agree. But I also assume that some people outside this forum didn't like money bed scene. it was suggested that only people on this forum noticed that and didn't like it. I find hard to believe a percentage of the 15 million non forum people didn't like the scene either. Do I have actual proof? No

Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. Engaged to be married is pretty far along in a relationship.

In regards to my comment about the tree falling in the forest. I wasn't commenting on your point, but the question itself. Like the chicken/egg thing, its supposed to be some great enigma, but it really isn't if you apply a bit of logic.

Edited by gsxdoug

Funny I think theirs more evidence Penny is much sweeter to Leonard and nicer then 1-3. She was kinda horrible to Leonard 1-3 JMO. 

• Like 1

In regards to the tree in the forest comment. You assumed that Lenny has been sleeping together. I agree.

It would be considerate to address the specific person when speaking about their comments, not hide it in a post to someone else.

But I also assume that some people outside this forum didn't like money bed scene.

As did I. If you go back and actually read my statement, I said I didn't have a problem with it, but could see where others might have a problem.

it was suggested that only people on this forum noticed that and didn't like it.

Again, you are misrepresenting my comments. I suggested that, the GENERAL VIEWER, didn't notice. You are the one that turned it into only people on the forum noticed.

I find hard to believe a percentage of the 15 million non forum people didn't like the scene either. Do I have actual proof? No

Well, I find it hard to believe also, BUT I NEVER SAID THAT.   You are the one that is claiming I said that.

You have great skill at building strawmen. How about you actually quote my statements, instead of making up statements and then attributing them to me.

And I explained it before, but you seem to have missed it. The claim of 15 million was hyperbole, the same thing you used to say some people watch CBS from 7-10, no matter what is on. There is no proof of either and they were both used to make a point. So if you want to keep bringing up the 15 million, you should be bringing up the "no matter what is on".

The only thing actually bothering me while I was watching this episode was that the commercials seemed to be never ending. Was the episode any shorter than normal?

Again, my point was that there are quite a few different things that different people nitpick. I'm not above that, but, the general viewer will not even notice. I had no problem with the whole money-bed scene, but I understand why others may. But of the 15,650,000 (based on overnights) who watched it last night, 15,649,800 probably didn't even notice or care. It's the vocal 200 on the forums(or the critics) who are doing the nitpicking. That's what I find humorous. I didn't specify anyone's nitpick, as there are quite a few different ones. Everyone, feel free to nitpick to your hearts content, I'll still find it humorous, even if I agree with the problem your nitpick points out.

I answered Doug first because he replied first..Based on what was said above I concluded that all but 200 probably didn't noticed or cared about the money- bed scene. Apparently that's not what you meant. I apologize for misinterpreting what you meant. Edited by Chrismo

The only thing actually bothering me while I was watching this episode was that the commercials seemed to be never ending. Was the episode any shorter than normal?

Actually longer at 21min approx

Good episode, not great but good. Better than the Penny/Raj/Emily fiasco, with good energy, some jokes not doing it for me but enough to keep me amused rather than laugh out loud moments. Liked the Lenny dinner table money passing , the Hannah Montana bit, Sheldon's good old days awareness and Raj's reactions to the mining song.

Agree with nograv that the money bed scene could have been better, not so much because of some deep Lenny regret that it wasn't the golden moment hoped for , but more because it could have been funny or sweet but was neither because of the overused "Penny has achieved everything possible in sex" connotations. But not losing sleep over it or cancelling my I Like Lenny Fan Cub membership.

One thing that comes to mind when I watch episodes like this one is how difficult it is sometimes to consistently write good relationship based episodes. It seems to be very easy for an episode centring on the relationships to offend hard core shippers when something seemingly fleeting and innocuous to others occurs. A missing 1 second hug, a one liner and look about money sex and all hell breaks loose ( each to their own, not deny your right to your response just find it interesting.) Saw the photo, read the taping report but was completely oblivious to the missing hug because didn't seem necessary to the scene. Only notice Penny's reaction in the money bed scene because I was looking forward to how it panned out but not exactly devastated by it ( explain that more in Lenny thread). I think the writers tend to do the big relationship milestones brilliantly - the SIK, the Howardette/Lenny proposals ( debatable for some but I loved them ) the D&D Shamy moment, the Lenny ILY and the upcoming prom episode moments - but the run of the mill relationship stuff they have been hit and miss over the years. That can be hard when it wasn't originally meant to be a romantic relationship sitcom originally and it's hard to always get that right with all the character flaws these characters have IMHO.

I also tend to compare these types of episodes as opposed to the more vintage gang based eps like last week to the development of one of my early favourite comedies, MASH ( hopefully you younger folk know of it )

MASH started out as a LOL a minute comedy full of jokes and pranks and put downs and visual comedy gold. Later on it took on a more serious subtle tone while still being entertaining, amusing and interesting in plot development. Last week was early MASH - funny as. This episode ( late MASH style) was interesting ( for me) with Sheldon's poignant admission of career insecurity, the Lenny money and relationship challenge and Howardette's power struggle. Not always funny but interesting and occasionally I'm happy to take that as long as I know there's a Focus or Scavenger around the corner to split my sides again. I get the overwhelming emotional attachment many here bring to every viewing but I just generally go along with the ride hoping to get some laughs, some sweetness, a touch of snark and some overdone jokes that disappear in the distance without causing me real stress.

And yeah, it's a few pages back but I think it was Lionne who brought up two points I agree with. The tags have been real hit and miss this year. They have killed my overall mood at the end of a couple of eps because they have been flat. I liked Raj's rant but Lenny and Howardette tags were a bit "meh". And boy, that lipstick on Penny! Whoa! Not the first makeup malfunction with lipstick for the gorgeous Kaley this season. Superficial reaction for me but I'm not a fan of the "lippy" - avoiding lipstick and electric blankets are in the Destined's relationship agreement

• Like 2

I really liked this one,  I found the scenes with Penny and Leonard really good, real chemistry between them. 

• Like 2

I really liked this one,  I found the scenes with Penny and Leonard really good, real chemistry between them.

I have to agree the Lenny storyline was excellent! :)

I thought though Howard and Bernie's lines seemed a bit forced.

But in my estimation leaving Raj down alone with the rats was pure gold! Just loved it! :)

• Like 2

I thought this episode overall was okay. I liked Lenny the most and the interactions between Raj/Sheldon/Amy and Raj/Sheldon were meh for me. I didn't care so much for Howardette. I really like them as a pairing and individually but the cattiness can be a bit too much for me but I guess that's their schtick.

I thought this episode overall was okay. I liked Lenny the most and the interactions between Raj/Sheldon/Amy and Raj/Sheldon were meh for me. I didn't care so much for Howardette. I really like them as a pairing and individually but the cattiness can be a bit too much for me but I guess that's their schtick.

I 100% agree with what you said regarding Howardette, and I pine for "old" Howard to return, sorry but Bernadette's constant "one-up manship"  in regards to who makes more money is just not funny anymore. 

The one sided relationship thing with Howard and Bernadette is getting a little old. Unlike Lenny, Bernadette jumped at marrying Howard so there has to be some deep attraction there.

There were some really funny scenes in this episode, but overall I was not overly impressed.  I loved the part with Sheldon and Raj in the tunnel.  I thought it was interesting how they had Sheldon expressing his doubts and concerns over his career.  The part with the rats and his abandoning Raj was hilarious, classic Sheldon.  The rest of the episode was just not that funny, especially Lenny.  The argument over the money got old quick and was not funny, especially after Leonard had come up with a good solution of putting it in a joint account.  They both thought it was a good idea so it seemed like the problem was solved at that point.  The part with the money on the bed was not funny in my opinion, it just seemed like they could not come up with anything else. 

I really do not like what they have done with Penny so far this year.  She is not as funny and her hair style makes her look old IMO. 

• Like 1

But she does not look old!

She is older.  I think it would be ridiculous to attempt to make it look as though she were still 21.

It seems so funny to me that if nothing changes someone will say it is stale but if anything does change someone else will complain it is not the same.

• Like 2

enjoyed it.

nice to see s/r working together again.

poor raj left by sheldon to the RATS.

l/p working on there money issues,

that was a hurdle they cleared moving

forward.

h/b not so well for them, but howard knew that

bernie was going to make more money at end of

#4. plus he got a rolex watch from her. bernie

is not that sweet little girl any more.

sorry about the hug shamy fans ,you will get

some thing big to come up. 

She is older.  I think it would be ridiculous to attempt to make it look as though she were still 21.

It seems so funny to me that if nothing changes someone will say it is stale but if anything does change someone else will complain it is not the same.

Exactly. They can't win for losing, and never will, because no matter what they do, it's going to piss someone off. Best to just move forward and put out the best product they can.

I really do not like what they have done with Penny so far this year.  She is not as funny and her hair style makes her look old IMO.

Here is a tip, never dare to say anything bad (even if it's true) about Penny's hair. You'll get skinned alive...

Is Penny untouchable then? Just so I know for future reference. I really don't fancy argument s, especially over hair haha.... I mean wow her hair looks SO good... ahem.

I think the poster who mentioned she looked older did not compare her look from season 1 or 2 when she was around 21.

He/She seems to be comparing her look from season 7 last episode to this season.(how much - 4-5 months).