Pennys Character Has Changed, Saddens Me

chas

No I agree with some of the stuff, Penny is no longer the hot party girl with big dreams and a big heart across the hall, she is now the pretty woman who is trying to make something of her life, job wise and relationship wise.

Which has everything to do with the writers and nothing to do with her cutting her hair.   

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JUST in the same way as people got used to Sheldon deciding that he might actually want to use his wedding tackle at some time, people will grow accustomed to Penny's change in appearance. It will be interesting if they revert to the camisole tops and shorts to counter the assertions of a decrease in the characters ability to play "hot". Look at BigBangSheldon's avatar (I think, I have to check) if you want the counter-argument. A pixie cut never harmed Audrey Hepburn's career, though Penny is not the gamine waif either...

I have a couple of half-arsed arguments about why this should not be an issue. Politically, she should be getting support for making her own choices, comedically, if the writing is good and her performance on song, it should make no difference and personally this was a real persons choice and its not actually an absurd one to make. It works for the character and story. The enemy is our expectation of the format, where no real acknowledgement exists of the passage of time and change. One blond gets substituted for another, as in Roseanne, and no real mention of the change is made. We might like a fantasy and unchanging world, but shouldn't WE be robust enough to cope with a tiny thing like this. Look into the abyss, folks. Its not Penny's problem, its ours. LOL

(Going for the pompous award this time. Hehehe)

JUST in the same way as people got used to Sheldon deciding that he might actually want to use his wedding tackle at some time, people will grow accustomed to Penny's change in appearance. It will be interesting if they revert to the camisole tops and shorts to counter the assertions of a decrease in the characters ability to play "hot". Look at BigBangSheldon's avatar (I think, I have to check) if you want the counter-argument. A pixie cut never harmed Audrey Hepburn's career, though Penny is not the gamine waif either...

I have a couple of half-arsed arguments about why this should not be an issue. Politically, she should be getting support for making her own choices, comedically, if the writing is good and her performance on song, it should make no difference and personally this was a real persons choice and its not actually an absurd one to make. It works for the character and story. The enemy is our expectation of the format, where no real acknowledgement exists of the passage of time and change. One blond gets substituted for another, as in Roseanne, and no real mention of the change is made. We might like a fantasy and unchanging world, but shouldn't WE be robust enough to cope with a tiny thing like this. Look into the abyss, folks. Its not Penny's problem, its ours. LOL

(Going for the pompous award this time. Hehehe)

Pompous award given!  Loved your post! Let me be just as eloquent.  

Ditto.

Edited by hazelra7

Which has everything to do with the writers and nothing to do with her cutting her hair.   

Appearance has allot to do with a persons character, just as ur avatar, if thats u, shows me about your character. How one presents themselves says allot about their person. So yes, cutting her hair has changed her look which has changed her character "funniness". Which in my opinion no matter what the writers give her to say or do, she will not be as funny as before.

Let me try to explain it a little different. When she had long hair, when she talked, I focused on her eyes/nose/mouth and her expressions. The long hair involuntarily made us focus on those points(tunnel vision). With that hair now gone it shows her full face including full cheeks/ears/jaws.With her hair cut I personally loose that effect which makes her less funny because those "tunnel vision" facial expressions fade into her whole face, more or less deluting her expressions.

I received several personal messages from peoples about my thread. I picked one out to post here and the guy hit the nail right on the head. I guess he didn't want any retaliation so he sent me a PM instead of posting it here. He said, " This forum is hostile and the moderator is incapable. He's too busy pushing his own narrow minded opinions and all the bullies have taken over. "

Edited: just incase someone wanted to find out who sent me PM's, I deleted all them.

Edited by chas

I am going to throw in my two cents here, but I will probably regret it, but here we go...

I think the nut meat of the argument is the assumption that Penny was cast for her appearance. That appearance has now changed.  If she all of a sudden gained 300 pounds, or got a bunch of tattoo's then would the discussion be different?  I think not.  Most men find long hair sexy. (Yes I can back up my statement, before you ask: http://www.relationshippsychology.com/flirting/attracting-men) 

Penny was cast as the sex symbol.  When she changed her appearance, she changed her status in that regard.

However, she is part of comedic troop, not just the sex symbol.  She is supposed to be funny, charismatic, and the interpretation of these geeky guys for the audience. But let's be honest, Leonard wasn't looking at how funny she was when he saw her across the hall.  He didn't say, "Our children will be smart and funny..."

So the elephant in the room is: Did Penny lose her status as the eye candy of the show? Yes she did.  

Agree, some in here just don't believe that appearances can change a person. When you look at the old penny and compare with the new penny. If you don't think the new pennys appearance is LESS funny, then you are blind. And I'm not talking about what the D?? writers give her to say either. I am talking about her with her mouth closed and not talking. Old pennys appearance is funnier.

Wow now who is being judgmental

So because we/some of us don't share your opinion we are all blind?

Some of us don't always use a persons appearance to critique somebody's character

This is the season that tptb are using for Penny to have a grown up job and they are using the opportunity that Kaley has given them with her haircut, she is still funny, nothing has changed there from what I can see

Edited by rachelshamyfan

whether you like it our not, 99% of the people judge by appearance.

If you meet a smelly dirty unshaved man on the street begging for a $5 handout, whats your opinion? Take that same man, shave, bath, and give him a $500 suit and ask you for $5 cause he lost him wallet, what's your opinion. The people who deny judging people by their appearance, they are the liars.

Yes that's what I said, they are the liars!  

No matter if it intensional or just automatic. When anyone sees anyone else they involuntarily form an opinion of that persons character. SO!. In my opinion Penny appears/looks funny with longer hair compared to now. Take Chelsea Handler, shes very funny/sexy/attractive. Cut her hair off short where her ears stick out and she wouldn't look as funny.

BTW, as I said before I CAN"T STAND THE NEW Miley Cyrus(never cared much for the old one either). And Penny's new haircut reminds me of allot of M.Cyrus haircut. Maybe that is part of why I hate Pennys new haircut, plus she looks less funny.

Edited by chas

If you meet a smelly dirty unshaved man on the street begging for a $5 handout, whats your opinion? Take that same man, shave, bath, and give him a $500 suit and ask you for $5 cause he lost him wallet, what's your opinion. The people who deny judging people by their appearance, they are the liars.

That's not really a good analogy for the issue of whether or not Penny's haircut has changed her character.

If you'd never seen her with long hair and had only seen her with short hair, then how would you know whether or not she was funnier one way or the other, or whether or not her personality was different?

The analogy of the dirty man/cleaned up man would hinge on judging him without having seen the other version of him.

If Kaley had cut her hair to an above the shoulder, but below the jaw length, rather than as short as she did, have also changed Penny's character? If she were to grow her hair back, would Penny suddenly be funnier?

I think that's ridiculous because you're assuming that somehow that one change in her appearance is do or die for her character.

If she had left her hair long and they had out her in the same clothes and given her the same lines, would you have found her funnier?

I think it's also ridiculous to imagine that any of the actors would be somehow funnier or less funny simply by changing their appearance. Is Sheldon funnier in his double t-shirts than he is when he puts on a suit? I don't think so. Or is it just hair that determines comedic value? Or does it just apply to women?

I think it's a matter of individuals getting caught up on something, but not some kind of universal truth, or even a truth that applies only to Kaley/Penny.

Agree, some in here just don't believe that appearances can change a person. When you look at the old penny and compare with the new penny. If you don't think the new pennys appearance is LESS funny, then you are blind. And I'm not talking about what the D?? writers give her to say either. I am talking about her with her mouth closed and not talking. Old pennys appearance is funnier.

Penny's long hair is funnier to look at?

So because we/some of us don't share your opinion we are all blind?

When a ACTOR changes their hair appearance drastically and u don't think it can changes how more or less funny they LOOK, then yes U R blind. If someone looks funny and they tell a joke, you LURAO. If someone who does not look funny tells a joke, you are most likely to not laugh as hard.

That's not really a good analogy for the issue of whether or not Penny's haircut has changed her character.

If you'd never seen her with long hair and had only seen her with short hair, then how would you know whether or not she was funnier one way or the other, or whether or not her personality was different?

The analogy of the dirty man/cleaned up man would hinge on judging him without having seen the other version of him.

If Kaley had cut her hair to an above the shoulder, but below the jaw length, rather than as short as she did, have also changed Penny's character? If she were to grow her hair back, would Penny suddenly be funnier?

I think that's ridiculous because you're assuming that somehow that one change in her appearance is do or die for her character.

If she had left her hair long and they had out her in the same clothes and given her the same lines, would you have found her funnier?

I think it's also ridiculous to imagine that any of the actors would be somehow funnier or less funny simply by changing their appearance. Is Sheldon funnier in his double t-shirts than he is when he puts on a suit? I don't think so. Or is it just hair that determines comedic value? Or does it just apply to women?

I think it's a matter of individuals getting caught up on something, but not some kind of universal truth, or even a truth that applies only to Kaley/Penny.

Penny's long hair is funnier to look at?

You don't have a clue the explanation I am talking about or trying to parrellel with. Most in here just love to disaggree to get a arguement so I'll just not waste my time explaning it.

When a ACTOR changes their hair appearance drastically and u don't think it can changes how more or less funny they LOOK, then yes U R blind. If someone looks funny and they tell a joke, you LURAO. If someone who does not look funny tells a joke, you are most likely to not laugh as hard.

Well that kills all radio comedy since Marconi - but never mind. Maybe it's true for you, but its a very broad claim. I think many stand-up comedians would disagree. Especially those who aren't particularly funny looking. But this is moving past the point. If Penny's new do upsets you and it's a general effect shared by many then lets wait for the metrics to come in. Ratings are probably the most likely to show any result - but it will be difficult to extract the effect of s hair cut from other factors. In the meantime - relax. Watch something else that is less irritating. OR keep watching closely and see if she grows her hair back. :)

Well Chas far as i can see the only one being hostile and judgemental here is you. You have your views ppl hv theirs. Neither makes it fact, just varying and differring perceptions. I never thought Penny was funny was because of her apperence, just like i wouldent find Leonard any less funnier if he started wearing a Superman Cape haha. And having a tantrum because most disagree with you, or dont share your take doesent your views does not make the site hostile either. And dictating how ppl can feel, and determining what they find funny just because your stance is change of apperence equates to less funny Penny. Fine your entitled to your opinion. But insulting ppl in the process is just pointless. The change of haircut was never meant to alter her funniness either way. Kaley made the change, and she deserves privacy and respect for being so brave. Point is no one should be shocked Pennys characters changed, because she has. But it has zero to do with her new hair, or her apperence. The hot party girl was her initial premise, but most of that was her dating dumb gym guys and being an struggling actress and a waitress. But the character of Penny changed by Season 4. Example being last dumb guy she dated, which was a big part of her charactrr was Zac. She has been dating and is now engaged to Leonard for Four Years now. All those changes were subtle. If she statted the show with same body, now hair. I dont see the point of difference. Its the writing of her character that has changed. The change in apperence has been subtle up to now. Said this before but maybe shows gotten to real for you. Maybe you prefer Penny as hot dumb blonde girl, because its funny. But that does not mean her apperence has radically changed. Or you thought that was her whole character. Their was always more to Penny then just sex symbol. Maybe you saw Bbt as easily digestible, now the shows dealing with real world issues its all too complex. Pennys apperence has changed, but its a change that occured years ago, prib ever since Barb Sublim. The haircut just supplements her growing up.

Wow

We are talking about Kaley and her hair not a homeless person

And as i am somebody that has been judged on their appeaeance for a lot of my life, I tend not to judge so harshly on others but CHAS if it makes you happy to do so then you carry on with your bullying

I believe that you just want to stir up controvosy where its not needed

Edited by rachelshamyfan

When a ACTOR changes their hair appearance drastically and u don't think it can changes how more or less funny they LOOK, then yes U R blind. If someone looks funny and they tell a joke, you LURAO. If someone who does not look funny tells a joke, you are most likely to not laugh as hard.

You don't have a clue the explanation I am talking about or trying to parrellel with. Most in here just love to disaggree to get a arguement so I'll just not waste my time explaning it.

Your "explanations" don't make sense because there's no logic behind them, and because your premise is flawed.

And just because many people here disagree with your opinion (especially when it is stated as if it were objective fact) doesn't mean that "most in here just love to disagree to get an argument".

If you came in here and said that chocolate was obviously the best flavor of ice cream, as if that opinion were fact, you'd likely get disagreement because opinions are not facts, just like your opinion about Penny's hair and humor is not fact.

As for your PMs saying that the bullies have taken over--don't believe everything you read in that regard. Believe it or not, there are some people here who like to feel sorry for themselves when other people disagree with them, therefore any disagreement is deemed "bullying". That doesn't mean it's true.

Not to point fingers but this whole Kaley hair bashing is really Shallow and Superficial. Its just an example of this sexualized society. So Penny has to always be the hot girl, i just dont agree with that. If course she was more funnier earlier. But it had zero to do with the length of her hair. And more to do with the freshness and premuse of her character. Seeing Penny grow up is not funny, i get it. But its not because if a hair cut lol.

Not to point fingers but this whole Kaley hair bashing is really Shallow and Superficial. Its just an example of this sexualized society. So Penny has to always be the hot girl, i just dont agree with that. If course she was more funnier earlier. But it had zero to do with the length of her hair. And more to do with the freshness and premuse of her character. Seeing Penny grow up is not funny, i get it. But its not because if a hair cut lol.

I don't think she's any less funny than she was before, growing up or not.

I think it's simply the idea that long hair is the only thing that makes a woman "hot" or funny that is at the core of all this ridiculous sophistry.

You'd think Kaley's hair was the star of the show.

I think it's simply the idea that long hair is the only thing that makes a woman "hot" or funny that is at the core of all this ridiculous sophistry.

That's basically what I said. I meant I was just trying to make the point her change in apperence subtle or not. Is not the only reason one may perceive her to be more or less funny or not.Your right its the very idea is why I said its Shallow and Superficial. My point was Penny growing up, or suddenlly being shocked by her new hair cut, oh wow shes growing up kinda reaction, shes not the hot girl anymore e.t.c. Sort of thing is strange too me, the hair is small compared to her other changes but anyway. 

For some, the hair is apparently as integral to the characterisation as say Spock's ears in Star Trek or Jane's three piece suits in The Mentalist. Maybe that's the affront. But (luckily) cutting her hair makes sense for the character. She has made big changes to her life and those changes are being reflected in her appearance. If people aren't getting that then they aren't paying attention to the story. I don't know where blame lies there. TBBT is a sitcom - and I think most of those are episodic and have little regard for story development. So people don't have the training to manage such a change.

But if people prefer to look at women with long hair on TV I suppose one can't be surprised they mention it. And aesthetically it is an adjustment.

If you meet a smelly dirty unshaved man on the street begging for a $5 handout, whats your opinion? Take that same man, shave, bath, and give him a $500 suit and ask you for $5 cause he lost him wallet, what's your opinion. The people who deny judging people by their appearance, they are the liars.

Yes that's what I said, they are the liars!

No matter if it intensional or just automatic. When anyone sees anyone else they involuntarily form an opinion of that persons character. SO!. In my opinion Penny appears/looks funny with longer hair compared to now. Take Chelsea Handler, shes very funny/sexy/attractive. Cut her hair off short where her ears stick out and she wouldn't look as funny.

BTW, as I said before I CAN"T STAND THE NEW Miley Cyrus(never cared much for the old one either). And Penny's new haircut reminds me of allot of M.Cyrus haircut. Maybe that is part of why I hate Pennys new haircut, plus she looks less funny.

If you hate her haircut, that's fine. But do not try to tell me I'm blind or a liar. Your explanations don't make any sense and you're acting like a little kid. It appears that you don't even know what you actually want.

Thats my point. Considering the amount of life choice changes. The amount of changes that have altered and deconstructed her self actulization. You would think something as small and subtle as short hair would pale in comparison. But like some said it is a sitcom. So ppl like reliability when it comes to sitcoms. So i understand that. But point is Penny aint suddenlly all of sudden any less funny because of her hair. She was an actress and she was 20. So it reflected in her apperence. Hence the long hair and tops and shorts. Shes now 28, and growing up. Hence the suits, and new haircut. I think the core idea is a women on tv or in society in general can only be funny or likeable if they are hot. Apart from the idea that even in tv land life moves on. I think some here and elsewhere dont follow the story development. Penny hasent been hot party girl, with that prefered role since S4. Kaley got a hair cut and show decided to incorporate it into her role. This aint nothing like Felicity, Pennys one of many main characters. But whats the point of difference here. Penny walk in with skimpy shorts like its S1 and shes dating Kurt? Haha. Penny normally blends in as she doesent stand out, she now does and its got ppl talking.

I received several personal messages from peoples about my thread. I picked one out to post here and the guy hit the nail right on the head. I guess he didn't want any retaliation so he sent me a PM instead of posting it here. He said, " This forum is hostile and the moderator is incapable. He's too busy pushing his own narrow minded opinions and all the bullies have taken over. "

Ya know, normally this would be deleted as an attack on a member. But, for various reasons, I believe I know who sent it. I'll go ahead and leave it up, I don't have a problem with it. It can be used as an example.

Appearance has allot to do with a persons character, just as ur avatar, if thats u, shows me about your character. How one presents themselves says allot about their person.

Actually a costume I wore for a party, and put up because other posters wanted to see it(I've done the same for plays I've been in, pictures of me in costume), says nothing about my character. Other than I like to act and wear costumes, and am willing to share that with other posters, on their request.

Edited: just incase someone wanted to find out who sent me PM's, I deleted all them.

We can determine who has sent and who has received PMs.

Are you ever going to explain how you, as someone who claims to have watched quite a bit of the show, came up with Penny's haircut affects her going out with dumb guys, when she hasn't had a date, other than with Leonard for four years? Or for that matter why she would be dating dumb guys, when she's engaged to Leonard?

So, chas, is this really the only thing you're interested in talking about? You've been here for 5 days and your only contribution to discussing a show you say you love has been hammering home one argument then following that up complaining about people disagreeing with you. Come check out other threads where you'll see how other people deal with differing opinions on different topics if you are actually interested in being on this forum. But if this is it for you, you've made your point, disagreement has been registered, the fight has been had so maybe it's time for you to return to the website comment sections where the sole purpose is talking about Pennys haircut being the ruination of the show. Or maybe you can register at change.org and start a petition to force Kaley to wear a wig. Come back when you have 1 million signatures!

What the hell show are you watching? Did you miss the last couple of seasons? She hasn't dated anyone but Leonard in ages and just engaged. And she doesn't have to be a "dumb blonde" in order to be funny, and she doesn't have to have long hair to be funny.

Her hair wasn't doing the acting.

And there's nothing that says she's never going to try acting again. She's only just barely started trying something different. We don't know how long it will last or if she may end up doing something different.

I still can't believe that people are so hung up on her hair. It's just hair, not a character in the show. Penny is more than just a "dumb blonde". Characters are allowed to grow.

Howard is no longer a pathetic lounge lizard ladies man wannabe. He went to space, he got married, he's learning how to be a husband.

Even Sheldon has grown, in his slow increments, to the point that he not only has a girlfriend, but he has learned how to kiss her.

Penny shouldn't be forced to stay the dumb blonde actress/waitress just because some people are afraid of a haircut.

Hallelujah! ITA. People who are disillusioned about her character because she changed her hair need to get a life. Ones who are annoyed about the developments over the last few years need to get real. People, evolve, even the great Sheldon Cooper, who I think once he is ready is going to be a major hornball with his Glendale vixen. It's called growing up. Things change.

Edited by Tensor