The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ki22

Why Can't Sheldon And Amy Have An Asexual Relationship?

22 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

They may want or choose to see what they will, but that doesn't mean that the writers are somehow obligated, or "should" portray a certain character in a certain way in order to "represent" anyone.

I didn't say the writers were obligated or should portray a character in a certain way, just that viewers have the right to chose how they interpret what the writers choose to show us.  And are allowed to comment about the show and what is shown.

If it's not the writers' choice to do so, then they're not going to try to do so, and the question of why the character isn't this way or that way is essentially moot.

If you think it's moot, then fine, don't discuss it.  Others may want to discuss it, and they are allowed to do so here, without others telling them their opinions are in some way invalid or shouldn't be expressed. 

Some people wanted JK Rowling to put Harry together with Hermione, rather that Ron and Hermione.  That wasn't the story Rowling was telling, so it didn't happen that way.

And people are allow to voice their displeasure at this.  Just because it is written a certain way, doesn't mean people have to enjoy it, or shouldn't be allowed to express their displeasure with the story.

Whether or not one likes the story, the writer is the one who gets to tell it.

And we, as viewers get to say whether we like it or not.  And here, we are allowed to complain about the story, we are allowed to praise the story, or we are allowed to say it was meh.   What is not allowed, are negative comments about others opinions about the story.  By all means, we want to hear your comments ABOUT THE STORY, not about how others view the story, as unless there is some sort of demonstrable factual error, those who like it have just as valid of an opinion as those that don't like it. 

• Like 2

I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to want what they want and talk about it.

What I'm saying is that though the question may be a valid sort of sociological question in general, as in, "Why can't there be an asexual character portrayed on TV without him/her becoming like everyone else?", but to ask why this particular character can't be portrayed as such is a different question, which then touches on the intentions of the writers.

Of course viewers can choose to interpret things as they wish, but then they should realize that what they want is not necessarily going to be what the writers want, and therefore it may never be satisfying for them.  Dissatisfaction is fine, but then complaining that the writers aren't writing the show/character(s) the way you want them to be seems kind of pointless after a while.

And saying that the discussion is moot doesn't mean people can't continue to discuss the issue.  The part that is moot is the question about "why"--the answer is that it's not the way the writers intend it to be.  So that's the answer to the "why".

Of course people can voice their displeasure, but the discussion going on here is more about "why can't the writers make this character be the way I want him to be?", which is different from saying they don't like a particular story line or the way Sheldon and Amy navigate their romance.

What's being said, going back to the beginning of the discussion, is that the character should somehow be different than he is in order to have him represent a certain segment of society or whatever.

I know that the discussion has evolved somewhat to address how the Shamy relationship is portrayed (who calls the shots, who's getting the short end of the stick, etc.), but that's not what the initial essential discussion has been.

And with all your "you don't get to tell people what to talk about", I'm not doing that at all.

I'm not really saying negative comments about people's opinions on the show.  I'm talking about the practice of trying to force an interpretation onto the show or characters based on personal agenda, not based on the writing of the show.

What I have been talking about is the writing of the show.  The show and characters are written a certain way, and that's what I've been talking about.

4 hours ago, phantagrae said:

I'm not saying that people aren't allowed to want what they want and talk about it.

Good.

What I'm saying is that though the question may be a valid sort of sociological question in general, as in, "Why can't there be an asexual character portrayed on TV without him/her becoming like everyone else?", but to ask why this particular character can't be portrayed as such is a different question, which then touches on the intentions of the writers.

So what if it touches on the intention of the writers? Why can't someone comment on how they see how the character is portrayed or written?  

Of course viewers can choose to interpret things as they wish, but then they should realize that what they want is not necessarily going to be what the writers want, and therefore it may never be satisfying for them. 

Why should they realize that?  Because you think they should?  Why should you care how they see things?

Dissatisfaction is fine, but then complaining that the writers aren't writing the show/character(s) the way you want them to be seems kind of pointless after a while.

So, they shouldn't say anything about how they view they show, because you think it's pointless?  Why can't you just let them have their opinions and if you think differently comment about your opinions on the show, and not comment on other posters see the show? 

And saying that the discussion is moot doesn't mean people can't continue to discuss the issue.  The part that is moot is the question about "why"--the answer is that it's not the way the writers intend it to be.  So that's the answer to the "why".

No one here knows the writers intentions, so others, if they feel like it, should be able to discuss the why.  Why can't you just let other discuss the why?  If you don't see a need to discuss it, then don't let others who wish to discuss it, discuss it.  

Of course people can voice their displeasure, but the discussion going on here is more about "why can't the writers make this character be the way I want him to be?", which is different from saying they don't like a particular story line or the way Sheldon and Amy navigate their romance.

And so?  They are still talking about how they see the show, not commenting on how others see the show.   If people what to voice their opinions on the show, how they think the writers should write it, they are allowed, what is not allowed is voicing your opinion of what is valid to discuss.  That is decided by the rules, which allows comments on the show and frowns on commenting on other posters opinions.

And with all your "you don't get to tell people what to talk about", I'm not doing that at all.

You're telling people what they want to discuss is pointless and moot.  You may not think you aren't telling people what to talk about, but thats the impression you leave.  

I'm not really saying negative comments about people's opinions on the show.  I'm talking about the practice of trying to force an interpretation onto the show or characters based on personal agenda, not based on the writing of the show.

Yes you are.  People are allowed to interpret the show as they want.  Unless you can definitely show they're factually incorrect, which is difficult, there is no reason to imply their interpretation is somehow wrong or they shouldn't be discussing it, like saying it's pointless or moot.   

What I have been talking about is the writing of the show.  The show and characters are written a certain way, and that's what I've been talking about.

Written a certain way, by whose definition and interpretation?  Yours?  Mine?  Another member here?  Why not just let others voice how they see the show, and you voice how you see the show, and if you disagree with others opinions, tell they you disagree with them and state your support for your position and not comment on their opinions?  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2015 at 5:41 PM, Tensor said:

A person's sexuality cannot change. So if she isn't an asexual now, she was never one before.

You have to remember...these are characters...the writers change them....as they see fit.   These are NOT real people.  They changed Her a lot!  She needed to become something different ...for the plot to evolve.

2 minutes ago, Ki22 said:

You have to remember...these are characters...the writers change them....as they see fit.   These are NOT real people.  They changed Her a lot!  She needed to become something different ...for the plot to evolve.

They also changed Him a lot!  He needed to become something different ....for the plot to evolve.

On 1/10/2015 at 3:23 AM, tallin said:

Amy never had anything to do with asexuality, writers explained her "change" in Comic Con, Paley fest and in The Rothman Disintegration - Amy: "I'll let you in on a little secret. Originally, we were painted nude. But I had him add clothes cause I thought it was an unnecessary challenge to our heterosexuality."

Thank you for arguing it is ok to have an opinion!  Based on the writing ...my argument is still stable.

He is in LOVE with Amy  That is not something outside of asexuality!   WE CAN LOVE!  We just are not as interested in the sex part as other people.  PERIOD. WE are capable of love it just takes a lot more to have us show that Physical aspect and A LOT of COMMUNICATION! Relationship agreement paved the way.  Sheldon is not neutered.  He just needs a more intellectual base for any kind of a relationship  since sex is not a Primary Drive for Him...ASEXUAL!

3 hours ago, Ki22 said:

Thank you for arguing it is ok to have an opinion!  Based on the writing ...my argument is still stable.

He is in LOVE with Amy  That is not something outside of asexuality!   WE CAN LOVE!  We just are not as interested in the sex part as other people.  PERIOD. WE are capable of love it just takes a lot more to have us show that Physical aspect and A LOT of COMMUNICATION! Relationship agreement paved the way.  Sheldon is not neutered.  He just needs a more intellectual base for any kind of a relationship  since sex is not a Primary Drive for Him...ASEXUAL!

I think its safe to conclude that Sheldon is not within the average spectrum when it comes to sexuality. He spent the first half of his fictional TV life saying he was "baffled and repulsed" by social relations, over and over. Even the coitus was an act of love, rather than desire and this has not changed his attitude. So it seems the writers are staying with it, for the time being at least. It could be that Sheldon just has a very low sex drive but I don't think its unreasonable to suggest they think of him as asexual, from a creative standpoint. Even if they don't say it within dialogue. Although the 'What's Sheldon's deal?' scene screamed it as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ki22 said:

But that still means she didn't change her sexuality.  They just came up with a reason for it appearing  her sexuality is different now.  It's quite apparent, now, that she is not asexual.   Whether that reason is her social-sexual growth was stunted by her keeping to herself, or she had never been in a situation where her sexuality could or would be actualized, or for some other reason.   With her not being asexual now, she was never asexual, even though she appeared to be at some prior point in time.  

• Like 1

To answer the initial question: Because the majority of people are not asexual and thus they wouldn't want to see this. They may have found it funny and amusing in the beginning, but then the natural instinct they have kicked in and they started to ask: What about sex? It belongs to a relationship!

I completely agree that this is hard to understand for asexual people. They may find the fuss others make about sex exaggerated. It is as natural for them that a relationship doesn't need sex as it is for others (me included) that sex (no matter if hetero, homo, bi) belongs to a relationship. I saw a quote (referring to catholic priests) once saying: Chastity is as much a virtue as malnutrition. Made me laugh and realize: Yes, most people have this urge, no need to deny it.

Opening Night broke records for a reason. The writers may not put in everything the viewers want, but they listen, they know what is needed to keep the ratings up. Of course in online comments you mostly hear the people that are unhappy - that's also natural, people tend to speak up to complain rather than to praise. Often the ratings speak a different language, and they are what shows the writers in which direction they may have to go to keep the ratings up.

To sum up: It is about success, about money. That's show business!

13 hours ago, Radar said:

Opening Night broke records for a reason. The writers may not put in everything the viewers want, but they listen, they know what is needed to keep the ratings up. Of course in online comments you mostly hear the people that are unhappy - that's also natural, people tend to speak up to complain rather than to praise. Often the ratings speak a different language, and they are what shows the writers in which direction they may have to go to keep the ratings up.

Opening night only broke one record, the highest increase in viewers for Live + 7.  It wasn't even the most viewed or highest demo for Live + Same Day  THIS year.  It's no more than 40th for the entire run of the show (as I pointed out, in another thread, all 24 of season 7 were higher than Opening Night)  and even in Live + 7, its not even in the top ten, in either total demo or total viewers.  

That it some how set record"s" is a pernicious myth, seemingly connected to the belief that somehow Shamy coitus was the high point of the show, it wasn't.  

17 hours ago, Tensor said:

But that still means she didn't change her sexuality.  They just came up with a reason for it appearing  her sexuality is different now.  It's quite apparent, now, that she is not asexual.   Whether that reason is her social-sexual growth was stunted by her keeping to herself, or she had never been in a situation where her sexuality could or would be actualized, or for some other reason.   With her not being asexual now, she was never asexual, even though she appeared to be at some prior point in time.  

Totally agree...I think they changed it to see what would happen though.   If you watch the first Amy year...she was not interested, but, then she started to experiment.  So yes I agree they have turned her into a late bloomer...not an asexual...she would have less interest I think.

9 hours ago, Tensor said:

Opening night only broke one record, the highest increase in viewers for Live + 7.  It wasn't even the most viewed or highest demo for Live + Same Day  THIS year.  It's no more than 40th for the entire run of the show (as I pointed out, in another thread, all 24 of season 7 were higher than Opening Night)  and even in Live + 7, its not even in the top ten, in either total demo or total viewers.  

That it some how set record"s" is a pernicious myth, seemingly connected to the belief that somehow Shamy coitus was the high point of the show, it wasn't.  

Thank you for the info. Okay, just delete that one line, I still stand by the rest. :shy:

• Like 2

Shamy coitus wasen't the high point of the show. Just the high point of their relationship. Why can't Shamy have a assexual relationship? Well I can subscribe to that. As it is Shamy have now had sex. But Sheldon doesen't seem to have changed at all. So why can't Shamy be the one couple who don't conform to socieites conventions and rules? Why can't Shamy have a relationship without sex? Well Amy is probaly the most logical awnswer. She has alwways wanted more. And it has always been up to Sheldon to at least meet her half way. 

Opening Night was only high in the ratings because Sheldon finally had sex. This was always going to create a lot of interest because he  swore he'd never partake.

Edited by Tuesday Pajamas
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 0:53 AM, Ki22 said:

If you watch the first Amy year...she was not interested, but, then she started to experiment.

I think several things changed her.

Getting to know Penny and Bernadette (and hearing about their sexual activity), meeting Zack, and kissing Sheldon, when she was drunk.

All those things, made her realize she wanted intimacy.

They don't even have a  same-sex couple on TBBT. I wasn't expecting them to realistically portray an Asexual relationship .  I think the writers are the ones doing the labeling -putting everyone under the label of a "heterosexual romantic relationship" - and no-one outside of it -asexual, homosexual etc exists.  

I agree with you @Ki22 , it would have  been nice for Shamy to have an asexual relationship- romantic love and relationship of the mind would have been so great.

Edited by serena_nyc1995

Why Can't Sheldon And Amy Have An Asexual Relationship?

well ...

cus...

thesex.gif

:rofl:

Sorry.  Not Sorry.

In all seriousness though the way the show is written you can believe that they don't sleep together (and never have) -or- that they are humping like teenage lovers who have somehow managed to get an empty house for the weekend, cus I doubt they will ever show on-screen coitus. The choice is yours!

On 6/27/2016 at 6:17 PM, serena_nyc1995 said:

They don't even have a  same-sex couple on TBBT. I wasn't expecting them to realistically portray an Asexual relationship .  I think the writers are the ones doing the labeling -putting everyone under the label of a "heterosexual romantic relationship" - and no-one outside of it -asexual, homosexual etc exists.  

I agree with you @Ki22 , it would have  been nice for Shamy to have an asexual relationship- romantic love and relationship of the mind would have been so great.

I think people expect too much from big bang. Yes it has always been a unique show about breaking down tropes and sterotypes. But end of the day Sheldon and Amy have desires and needs like anyone else, end of. Not every sitcom needs a same sex couple, or a diverse one. IT is the same when Friends got critisized for having no African American character's. OR Charlie in S9-10 got rid of that. That is why people sasy the Bill Crosby Show is the ebst of all time, for its cultural diversity. Me I watch comedies to laugh, I Don't expect anything more then that. That is just me. In regards to Shamy. I am going to say it, them having coitus was inevtible. Because unles they broke them up, I Don't see how their was going to any other outcome. I mean Amy coulden't drop hints any longer, so unless they consumated their relationship. Something had to give. JMO. 

Edited by 3ku11

I haven't seen this quoted on this site yet, but I think it's relevant to the ongoing "Schroedinger's Sex Life" discussion going on hereabouts.  This is from an article at the A.V Club regarding asexual characters on TV:

More problematic, or at least more complicated, is the case of another prominent asexual character in the TV landscape: Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) of CBS’ mega-popular, long-running The Big Bang Theory. For several seasons, Sheldon appeared to experience no sexual desire whatsoever, and many fans assumed him to be asexual. The writers on Big Bang contradicted that theory, however, by having Sheldon finally sleep with his partner of many years, Amy (Mayim Bialik). Some feel that this points to a widespread belief that asexuality is somehow a problem in need of correction. But Big Bang fans need not despair over the apparent sellout. “Although Sheldon and Amy had sex, his identity doesn’t suddenly change,” Corcione writes. “Just like sexuality, asexuality is also a spectrum.”

I'm not sure I like the sound of this -- it almost seems TBBT creators want to backtrack on the progress Sheldon made last season to keep the asexual fanbase happy.  Perhaps they decided its too hard to wring humor out of a Sheldon who isn't oblivious to all things erotic. But to that I have to say -- too late people.  The cat is out of the box and it's alive.  If you wanted a sexless Sheldon they should never have introduced Amy in the first place, and trying to do a 180 is just going to alienate the Shamy fanbase. 

Edited by GnuHopper

1 hour ago, GnuHopper said:

I haven't seen this quoted on this site yet, but I think it's relevant to the ongoing "Schroedinger's Sex Life" discussion going on hereabouts.  This is from an article at the A.V Club regarding asexual characters on TV:

More problematic, or at least more complicated, is the case of another prominent asexual character in the TV landscape: Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) of CBS’ mega-popular, long-running The Big Bang Theory. For several seasons, Sheldon appeared to experience no sexual desire whatsoever, and many fans assumed him to be asexual. The writers on Big Bang contradicted that theory, however, by having Sheldon finally sleep with his partner of many years, Amy (Mayim Bialik). Some feel that this points to a widespread belief that asexuality is somehow a problem in need of correction. But Big Bang fans need not despair over the apparent sellout. “Although Sheldon and Amy had sex, his identity doesn’t suddenly change,” Corcione writes. “Just like sexuality, asexuality is also a spectrum.”

I'm not sure I like the sound of this -- it almost seems TBBT creators want to backtrack on the progress Sheldon made last season to keep the asexual fanbase happy.  Perhaps they decided its too hard to wring humor out of a Sheldon who isn't oblivious to all things erotic. But to that I have to say -- too late people.  The cat is out of the box and it's alive.  If you wanted a sexless Sheldon they should never have introduced Amy in the first place, and trying to do a 180 is just going to alienate the Shamy fanbase. 

Ala highlights the problem with Shamy going forward imo. 

3 hours ago, GnuHopper said:

[snip]

This is not coming from the writers - it's just some people on the internet trying to fit it into their already made up theory about the character. However, the writers have dropped more than enough hints that Sheldon's lack of interest is a combination of prioritising other things in life but also struggling with a lot of issues that affect his interpersonal relationships. Ever since Amy entered the picture he started to question his priorities and work on his issues. It's been a years long journey for the character and not just something that suddenly popped up with Opening Night.

And personally I'm also not convinced how that would make for positive Ace representation, even if you could probably put him somewhere on the spectrum - but neither the writers nor the character has made any comment about that either way. So if you steadfastly still want to keep him in that specific box the implication here kinda feels like the old "asexuality healed through the power of love" narrative and at the very least the Ace people I'm friends with are pretty tired of that. I think it's probably easier to let go for that particular bone...

What I find perplexing is that some people insist on backing up their argument with the "We're under the impression he has no deal" line (maybe paraphrasing). 

The man has straight up said that he has urges and we also know from other scenes that he wants Amy. So...why do certain people insist on taking as gospel truth the assumption that a character has made about another character's sexuality over an actual statement by the character whose sexuality is in question?

Apart from that, I really don't know what to think about the situation after 9.11. I think that the complete lack of continuation of this plot has done the most damage and has led people to the conclusion that Sheldon isn't interested. Btw, about the whole "He only did it out of love" thing - duh, it was his first time and he has all kinds of mental handiccaps so of course he'd approach it the way he did. Up to 9.11 it's absurd to think that he doesn't want Amy. After 9.11 it's the problem. Even if 9.11 had made some people wonder, a follow-up plot that addressed this new situation (like the train kiss) could have erased most people's doubts. Now it's like...how can they fix this (that is, IF they think it needs to be fixed)?

If they don't think there's a problem that opens a whole other can of worms that I'm going to stay away from for the time being cause this is long enough.

Edited by Judith

1 hour ago, Judith said:

What I find perplexing is that some people insist on backing up their argument with the "We're under the impression he has no deal" line (maybe paraphrasing). 

The man has straight up said that he has urges and we also know from other scenes that he wants Amy. So...why do certain people insist on taking as gospel truth the assumption that a character has made about another character's sexuality over an actual statement by the character whose sexuality is in question?

Apart from that, I really don't know what to think about the situation after 9.11. I think that the complete lack of continuation of this plot has done the most damage and has led people to the conclusion that Sheldon isn't interested. Btw, about the whole "He only did it out of love" thing - duh, it was his first time and he has all kinds of mental handiccaps so of course he'd approach it the way he did. Up to 9.11 it's absurd to think that he doesn't want Amy. After 9.11 it's the problem. Even if 9.11 had made some people wonder, a follow-up plot that addressed this new situation (like the train kiss) could have erased most people's doubts. Now it's like...how can they fix this (that is, IF they think it needs to be fixed)?

If they don't think there's a problem that opens a whole other can of worms that I'm going to stay away from for the time being cause this is long enough.

I've started to wonder if tptb think it's obvious to the fans that they've been sleeping together with the tiniest of hints here and there and that it's no big deal.  I just don't know what to think and I'm getting tired of waiting for some scrap of confirmation either way.  

If they let Amy's birthday pass with no mention or confirmation, then yeah, I'm going to assume they thought their stupid hints here and there were obvious to the fans (IT WASN'T WRITERS!) and that off screen, they were occasionally sleeping together.

But if they stick with Molaro's stupid joke of once a year, I'm going to be massively pissed, disappointed and will soon be joining the other disgruntled Shamy's who have given up on this ship.  Because, IMO, sticking to this joke would frankly, from what we know of these characters up to now, and with all the sex jokes from all the characters, especially Shamy themselves, would be a disservice and ooc.  It would be sad, pathetic and unrealistic for anybody, including someone who said himself, he LIKED IT more than he thought he would, to only do it once a year.  Her eggs have an expiration date, remember writers?  

5 hours ago, Judith said:

I completely agree with you. I've been waiting since the opening night episode aired to see how the writers are going to fix this.

Edited by camelliayao

20 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

I've started to wonder if tptb think it's obvious to the fans that they've been sleeping together with the tiniest of hints here and there and that it's no big deal.  I just don't know what to think and I'm getting tired of waiting for some scrap of confirmation either way.  

If they let Amy's birthday pass with no mention or confirmation, then yeah, I'm going to assume they thought their stupid hints here and there were obvious to the fans (IT WASN'T WRITERS!) and that off screen, they were occasionally sleeping together.

But if they stick with Molaro's stupid joke of once a year, I'm going to be massively pissed, disappointed and will soon be joining the other disgruntled Shamy's who have given up on this ship.  Because, IMO, sticking to this joke would frankly, from what we know of these characters up to now, and with all the sex jokes from all the characters, especially Shamy themselves, would be a disservice and ooc.  It would be sad, pathetic and unrealistic for anybody, including someone who said himself, he LIKED IT more than he thought he would, to only do it once a year.  Her eggs have an expiration date, remember writers?  

Being tbbt I'd expect them to stick to the joke until it does not serve their purpose. 

As for subtle hints. Don't know if that is true but if so the writers are exploiting the fact I really don't care. My theory is that early in the first season they decided there would be no competition between Sheldon and Leonard for Penny or anyone. I think Sheldon just grew out of that and then the writers ran with this aspect of Sheldon in The Psychic Vortex. Amy was not on the radar yet in 3.12.

The writers then threw Shamy shippers a bone in 9.11. Then the once a year joke just jerked the bone father away. Like an sports fisherman landing a big one they keep a big audience on the line. Like a carrot on a string. A cat playing with a mouse. The writers like to toy. 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3