The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ki22

Why Can't Sheldon And Amy Have An Asexual Relationship?

What I posted was "Why can't Sheldon and Amy have an asexual relationship?"  What is the problem with that...why shouldn't it be the "Story Line"?

Why is that a no go?

Why is that a problem?

I understand that it is up to the creators and the writers of the show.

Such offense...this idea...

Usually people don't have a problem with people "not" having sex.

ki

Edited by Ki22

And all I said "within the context of the show" This is the closest to us...it will currently be.   I am ok when the writers do anything different.  This is nice and I like it.

The Writers can do what ever they like...It is their show...I know this.  I was just saying this relationship is nice while it lasts.

That is it.

I did not say it was necessary...and again you are calling us asexual s "Unnatural"  not true...we are Natural.

No where in that sentence does he say that asexuals are unnatural. You are putting words into his mouth by putting your own spin on the meaning of his comment "Sex is a natural part of human nature, and human relationship construct. Not for you and that's fine,"

Just to clarify, sex is a natural part of human nature. Some want it more than others and whether it's wanting it or not, either way it's a natural part. Homo Sapiens Sapiens exists because sex is a part of their nature. He also, if you will note, said it's fine if you don't want it. If you are unsure of what he actually meant, why don't you ask for a clarification before putting words in his mouth?

What I posted was "Why can't Sheldon and Amy have an asexual relationship?"  What is the problem with that...why shouldn't it be the "Story Line"?

Why is that a no go?

Why is that a problem?

I understand that it is up to the creators and the writers of the show.

It doesn't appear that you do understand that, as you accused the writers in Post 30:

Side note...Sheldon is Asexual until the writers choose to change Him...(find Him unnatural)

You put your own spin on what the writers wrote, and accused the writers of finding him unnatural, with no support whatsoever. As ATOB pointed out, if Sheldon was demi-sexual, he would have had no interest in sex, until he met Amy and the writers wouldn't be changing him, despite your accusation they found him unnatural. Yes, a few posters and a few comments have mentioned asexuality being unnatural, but that doesn't mean that every comment is claiming asexuality is unnatural. So how about you take offense at comments that actually call it unnatural and don't try to twist other poster's comments to claim they said it was unnatural. If you don't understand the comment or it appears to be ambiguous, ask a few more questions before claiming something.

Look, it's a no-brainer really.

If you would be equally happy making the same statement swapping the word 'asexual' for 'homosexual' (Ki used heterosexual in her example, but I'm going to be different) then it's more than likely that what you're saying is not going to be taken in offence.

Try it.  

However, if it now sounds like something you wouldn't ever say, then perhaps you should ask yourself the question: why is it okay to say one thing about asexuals but not the same thing for any other sexual orientation?

Again, always nice to be permitted your own sexuality (you know, the intrinsic one that you were born with).  Reminds me of the people who tell homosexual couples that they are "so cute together" and "oh, I like totally support you."  Can you imagine anyone ever saying this to a heterosexual couple?

post-9820-0-93790800-1417193153_thumb.gi

• Like 1

No where in that sentence does he say that asexuals are unnatural. You are putting words into his mouth by putting your own spin on the meaning of his comment "Sex is a natural part of human nature, and human relationship construct. Not for you and that's fine,"

Just to clarify, sex is a natural part of human nature. Some want it more than others and whether it's wanting it or not, either way it's a natural part. Homo Sapiens Sapiens exists because sex is a part of their nature. He also, if you will note, said it's fine if you don't want it. If you are unsure of what he actually meant, why don't you ask for a clarification before putting words in his mouth?

It doesn't appear that you do understand that, as you accused the writers in Post 30:

You put your own spin on what the writers wrote, and accused the writers of finding him unnatural, with no support whatsoever. As ATOB pointed out, if Sheldon was demi-sexual, he would have had no interest in sex, until he met Amy and the writers wouldn't be changing him, despite your accusation they found him unnatural. Yes, a few posters and a few comments have mentioned asexuality being unnatural, but that doesn't mean that every comment is claiming asexuality is unnatural. So how about you take offense at comments that actually call it unnatural and don't try to twist other poster's comments to claim they said it was unnatural. If you don't understand the comment or it appears to be ambiguous, ask a few more questions before claiming something.

Not sure why you quoted me, with no reply.

"Sex is a part of Human Nature and Human relationship constructs."  Global statement. Not true of all Humans...(asex). It may not have been a direct argument..but still paints those of US who are Asex as unnatural or inhuman, because we don't have that.

"And Human relationship construct."  Asex has Human relationships...they just may not include sex.

I don't have a problem with "it may not be for you." ( I think the word "want" is tripping you up)  Take "want" out.  There is no need, desire, or interest.

I did say that the Writers are going to do their own thing and that is fine.  The (Until they find Him unnatural ) comment was for the "poster" not the "writers".  Having said that...it is still true...they would not have the Show they have without being "with the viewers". They need to keep the show going.  They need to cater to the Majority.

Sorry if I angered you...But I am not going to stop arguing for my peeps...It is ok if you disagree or think I am wrong...Just don't dismiss us as a people. All I am saying.

I have to stand up and be a presence.  We do not have many people to speak for US. 

Ki

Edited by Ki22

"Sex is a part of Human Nature and Human relationship constructs." Global statement. Not true of all Humans...(asex). It may not have been a direct argument..but still paints those of US who are Asex as unnatural or inhuman, because we don't have that.

"And Human relationship construct." Asex has Human relationships...they just may not include sex.

I don't have a problem with "it may not be for you." ( I think the word "want" is tripping you up) Take "want" out. There is no need, desire, or interest.

I did say that the Writers are going to do their own thing and that is fine. The (Until they find Him unnatural ) comment was for the "poster" not the "writers". Having said that...it is still true...they would not have the Show they have without being "with the viewers". They need to keep the show going. They need to cater to the Majority.

Sorry if I angered you...But I am not going to stop arguing for my peeps...It is ok if you disagree or think I am wrong...Just don't dismiss us as a people. All I am saying.

I have to stand up and be a presence. We do not have many people to speak for US.

Ki

Problem is you are looking for recognition in the wrong forum. This is a fansite for a tv show what were u expecting. Stop being so inwardly focused. Your taking things to personally. Sex is a natural part of human relationships. Tensor is right you were putting words in my mouth. I never said that with Asex ppl in mind. I was speaking generally. You took it personally thats not my problem.

I disagree... you took it the same way...why should I not take it the same way? This is the right FORUM...there are forward thinking people here...I am also a fan...

I do not have a problem with with you, but, with this whole relationship issue.  Sheldon has always treated the relationship as an alien encounter...He is outside of that....He is ASEX.   Until it changes on the screen.  Now He has told Amy he LOVEs Her this is a "BIG" thing for an ASEX of any type.  ASEX people can LOVE and not be interested in sex...The two are not inclusive.

just saying.

Ki

You are going to have to define exactly what you mean by asexual. Do you mean no interest in sex? Very little interest in sex? Some interest, depending on who they are interested in? As ATOB has pointed out repeatedly, Sheldon's behavior prior to meeting Amy and after meeting Amy, can be explained as his being demi-sexual. No interest in a physical relationship, until he met the person who stirred up those feelings.

ASEX people can LOVE and not be interested in sex...The two are not inclusive.

just saying.

They can also love and be interested in sex, with a particular person. The two are not exclusive. That's why you have to define your terms.

I disagree... you took it the same way...why should I not take it the same way? This is the right FORUM...there are forward thinking people here...I am also a fan...

I do not have a problem with with you, but, with this whole relationship issue.  Sheldon has always treated the relationship as an alien encounter...He is outside of that....He is ASEX.   Until it changes on the screen.  Now He has told Amy he LOVEs Her this is a "BIG" thing for an ASEX of any type.  ASEX people can LOVE and not be interested in sex...The two are not inclusive.

just saying.

Ki

just saying.

Ki

Look maybe you should have prefaced your OP better. You asked why can't Shamy have a assexual relationship. You never made it clear you were Assexual your self. So it's not really my fault or anyone elses. Sheldon is on the spectrum of Assexual that is it. 

Edited by 3ku11

"Sex is a part of Human Nature and Human relationship constructs."  Global statement. Not true of all Humans...(asex). It may not have been a direct argument..but still paints those of US who are Asex as unnatural or inhuman, because we don't have that.

"And Human relationship construct."  Asex has Human relationships...they just may not include sex.

I don't have a problem with "it may not be for you." ( I think the word "want" is tripping you up)  Take "want" out.  There is no need, desire, or interest.

I did say that the Writers are going to do their own thing and that is fine.  The (Until they find Him unnatural ) comment was for the "poster" not the "writers".  Having said that...it is still true...they would not have the Show they have without being "with the viewers". They need to keep the show going.  They need to cater to the Majority.

I have to stand up and be a presence.  We do not have many people to speak for US. 

Ki

I wrote "this" not the following...that was not from me.

FRAMED.  Hacked...at the least.  Not even my language.

I would never say...(forward thinking people) or (alien encounter).

Ki

Edited by Ki22

Look maybe you should have prefaced your OP better. You asked why can't Shamy have a assexual relationship. You never made it clear you were Assexual your self. So it's not really my fault or anyone elses. Sheldon is on the spectrum of Assexual that is it. 

Yes I did say I was Asexual. (Neutral).

Ki

I think the core problem with your POV is that you assume that the writers were thinking of him as being asexual in the first place.  You assume that they were even thinking that.

What if they never had that in mind in the first place.  As a matter of fact, in the unaired pilot Leonard described him as an ass-man, as a semi-pro at masturbating (to pictures of women's posteriors) and he had even had sex with that Glenda character.  So in that early version, there was not an inkling that he was asexual.

And even in the second pilot, they had some minor layers of Sheldon flirting with Penny--when he's showing off his white board, when he and the other guys come out to the doorway to kind of glom onto Leonard's conversation with her.  Sheldon is smiling at her along with the other guys.

I think that then they kind of dialled him back a bit to set him apart from the other guys, but I don't think that means that they decided he was asexual.

They had said in interviews that Sheldon had kind of opted out, or decided that it was a waste of energy, like his comment to Leonard about how since he (Leonard) had been having regular intercourse his mind had lost its keen edge and that if Einstein hadn't been such a horndog, etc., etc..

I don't think implies that Sheldon had no natural sex drive, but simply that he'd kind of set it aside.  If one assumes that one is born with no desire for sex (rather than it being a conscious decision, like celibacy), then there's no real indication that that's what the writers were going for.  And that is pretty much what the writers have said in interviews regarding Sheldon, in those early years.

And as others have said, in Sheldon's case, it was a matter of the right person coming along.  He wasn't really affected by the usual stimuli--scantily clad women, big boobs, etc.--but ultimately it was someone who met him on his intellectual plane who was able to unlock his slumbering libido.  And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

If he was never intended to be the poster child for asexual equality, then having him develop desires for Amy does not violate anything in regard to his original conception as a character.  And it doesn't mean that the writers are bending him or changing his original concept to fit popular opinion.

IMO, he was never intended to be the poster child for anything--asexuality, Aspbergers, geekiness--he is simply who he is, with his own version of hang-ups, turn-ons, fears, hobbies, desires, values.

The writers have said again and again that these characters are not intended to represent any one group or class of people, but only to be their individual selves.

• Like 2

If Amy and Sheldon were both asexual, I don't believe their relationship would progress very far beyond a mutual understanding of the various topics within the scientific domain.

I think the core problem with your POV is that you assume that the writers were thinking of him as being asexual in the first place.  You assume that they were even thinking that.

What if they never had that in mind in the first place.  As a matter of fact, in the unaired pilot Leonard described him as an ass-man, as a semi-pro at masturbating (to pictures of women's posteriors) and he had even had sex with that Glenda character.  So in that early version, there was not an inkling that he was asexual.

And even in the second pilot, they had some minor layers of Sheldon flirting with Penny--when he's showing off his white board, when he and the other guys come out to the doorway to kind of glom onto Leonard's conversation with her.  Sheldon is smiling at her along with the other guys.

I think that then they kind of dialled him back a bit to set him apart from the other guys, but I don't think that means that they decided he was asexual.

They had said in interviews that Sheldon had kind of opted out, or decided that it was a waste of energy, like his comment to Leonard about how since he (Leonard) had been having regular intercourse his mind had lost its keen edge and that if Einstein hadn't been such a horndog, etc., etc..

I don't think implies that Sheldon had no natural sex drive, but simply that he'd kind of set it aside.  If one assumes that one is born with no desire for sex (rather than it being a conscious decision, like celibacy), then there's no real indication that that's what the writers were going for.  And that is pretty much what the writers have said in interviews regarding Sheldon, in those early years.

And as others have said, in Sheldon's case, it was a matter of the right person coming along.  He wasn't really affected by the usual stimuli--scantily clad women, big boobs, etc.--but ultimately it was someone who met him on his intellectual plane who was able to unlock his slumbering libido.  And there's nothing wrong with that, either.

If he was never intended to be the poster child for asexual equality, then having him develop desires for Amy does not violate anything in regard to his original conception as a character.  And it doesn't mean that the writers are bending him or changing his original concept to fit popular opinion.

IMO, he was never intended to be the poster child for anything--asexuality, Aspbergers, geekiness--he is simply who he is, with his own version of hang-ups, turn-ons, fears, hobbies, desires, values.

The writers have said again and again that these characters are not intended to represent any one group or class of people, but only to be their individual selves.

I did not say he was written asexual in the beginning. The Sheldon character has been an asexual since then...it may be as you say "to set him apart".  But, he is recognizable as having "those" traits to some of us who are.  I don't have a problem with that changing in the story...when the Writers do.  I said it was nice to have someone "like" us.

Is there a problem with that? 

None of the characters were intended to be "poster child s"  ?  Those are a specific breed of genius....they are poster child s for that.

If Amy and Sheldon were both asexual, I don't believe their relationship would progress very far beyond a mutual understanding of the various topics within the scientific domain.

Not true.  There is more to a relationship than that.

All of you out there who have relationships....married or dating.... If sex did not exist....would you still be with that person?  Would you still love them?

Edited by Ki22

I did not say he was written asexual in the beginning. The Sheldon character has been an asexual since then...it may be as you say "to set him apart".  But, he is recognizable as having "those" traits to some of us who are.  I don't have a problem with that changing in the story...when the Writers do.  I said it was nice to have someone "like" us.

Is there a problem with that? 

None of the characters were intended to be "poster child s"  ?  Those are a specific breed of genius....they are poster child s for that.

Not true.  There is more to a relationship than that.

All of you out there who have relationships....married or dating.... If sex did not exist....would you still be with that person?  Would you still love them?

Just because he wasn't having sex or seeking sex doesn't make him asexual, does it?  I'm not sexually active and I don't chase men or try to find hook-ups, but I don't consider myself asexual.

You say that you "don't have a problem with that changing in the story...when the Writers do."  I'm not sure what you mean by that last bit about the writers.  Who says anything changed?  What I'm saying is that if they did not conceive of him as being asexual, then he was not asexual.  He was not sexually active, but that's not the same thing, is it?

So, if he was not being thought of by the people who created him and were writing his story as being asexual, then he was never "like" you in the first place, even if you thought he was or wanted him to be.

And they aren't poster children--representatives--for anything.  They are geniuses, but they are unique unto themselves.  Not every physicist is necessarily considered a genius, and not every genius is a socially awkward nerd, or a sci-fi/comic book/cosplay enthusiast.  They are individuals who don't represent anything more than themselves.

They may have traits in common with others, but if they "violate" what someone thinks they should be, it's only because they were never what someone else thinks they should be in the first place.

In the early seasons there were complaints from some people in the science field because the guys were so nerdy and these real-life people were saying, "We're not like that!"

So, though you may have felt that Sheldon seemed to have something in common with asexuals in general, that still doesn't mean that he was being thought of or conceived of as an asexual until audience pressure changed that concept, which is what you have been claiming.

I think Sheldon's reticence has been more about intellectual compatibility and his OCD issues with germs and touching, but not with whether or not he might have latent desires for sex.  He's more like an innocent, pre-adolescent than anything else.  I think just like it takes years for children to go from innocence to desire, it has taken Sheldon years also, especially since he was very sheltered as a child and didn't grow up with the same adolescent stimuli that most kids experience.  So his innocent phase lasted much longer.

But all of that does not mean that he was asexual to begin with.

"What's Sheldon's deal?"

"We were kind of working on the basis he doesn't have one."

Or words to that effect (there's something about sock puppets in there somewhere).

"Before you I wasn't interested in being intimate with anyone."

Sheldon doesn't notice Penny's breasts, nor the appeal of the house full of beautiful models. Why? Because Sheldon is not sexually attracted to people (of either gender). He knows what's considered attractive, but he doesn't experience it. Until he meets Amy.

People who are not sexually attracted to other people are known by the term asexual (they may still experience urges to masturbate).

Some asexuals can feel sexual attraction to those with whom they have a close bond; i.e. demisexual.

You are not asexual because, correct me if I'm wrong, you do experience sexual attraction (coughs 'Jim Parsons and then exits).

Edited by ATOB

"What's Sheldon's deal?"

"We were kind of working on the basis he doesn't have one."

Or words to that effect (there's something about sock puppets in there somewhere).

"Before you I wasn't interested in being intimate with anyone."

Sheldon doesn't notice Penny's breasts, nor the appeal of the house full of beautiful models. Why? Because Sheldon is not sexually attracted to people (of either gender). He knows what's considered attractive, but he doesn't experience it. Until he meets Amy.

People who are not sexually attracted to other people are known by the term asexual (they may still experience urges to masturbate).

Some asexuals can feel sexual attraction to those with whom they have a close bond; i.e. demisexual.

You are not asexual because, correct me if I'm wrong, you do experience sexual attraction (coughs 'Jim Parsons and then exits).

Unless the writers weigh in specifically, we don't know that they had Sheldon in mind as being asexual or demisexual or sockpuppetsexual.

I think that the issue is mostly about labelling and claiming.  Just as people who are or who know people on the autism spectrum want Sheldon to be representative of them, in this case it seems that Ki22 wants Sheldon to represent herself or other asexual people, as some kind of representative.

But in both cases, people are assuming intent where there is none.  Though he may share characteristics with people of either group, that doesn't mean that he was intended to represent either group.

Even if Sheldon may be considered "demisexual", the argument is whether or not the writers started out essentially "declaring" him to be asexual and then bowing to "convention", or if they were simply holding his sexuality in abeyance by not spelling out the nature of his level of desire until they came up with the perfect character for him to fall in love with (and be sexually attracted to.)

The conversation between Penny and the guys about Sheldon's "deal" is based on their knowledge, not on any real declaration from Sheldon.  Was he not attracted to others because he was simply not attracted to anyone, or was he not attracted to conventional sexual ideas because his personal trigger is something else?

If we go by the idea of his stunted social development and his still being somewhat caught in that innocent child-like state (not understanding sexual innuendo, having to read "that book" in order to know these things, apart from basic human anatomy), along with his touch/germ phobias, then his "awakening" with Amy is more like the way an adolescent progresses from the innocence of childhood to the awakening of puberty.

They made lots of jokes about Sheldon not yet hitting puberty--is that supposed to be taken at face value, also, to mean that he has been physically prepubescent?

Is it preference, inexperience, upbringing, lack of desire, or delayed onset?

Whatever it is, I don't think it's a matter of the writers creating him one way and then changing their minds in order to bow to convention.

I've said before that I find the idea of Sheldon having a late puberty similar to those that think others are going "through a phase", the idea's quite offensive.

This is a fictional character with an IQ in the high 180s no? Yes, you often see a correlation between social ineptitude and high IQ but I can't think of one example of stunted puberty, is it even a thing? For someone in their 30s? Can you find an example to support what you say? Delayed puberty happens to teens perhaps early 20s, but I seem to remember Sheldon bragging about his full pubis in his teens and fully functioning genitals.

Also, if this 'puberty' was kicking in, why would he only notice Amy's attributes? If he was indeed going through 'puberty' would his 'ears' not prick up at the sexual stimuli of others he finds attractive (whatever the writers decide that stimulus is going to be.....I still stand by the idea that Sheldon's deal is Amy, which fits with demisexuality)?

Edited by ATOB

I've said before that I find the idea of Sheldon having a late puberty similar to those that think others are going "through a phase", the idea's quite offensive.

This is a fictional character with an IQ in the high 180s no? Yes, you often see a correlation between social ineptitude and high IQ but I can't think of one example of stunted puberty, is it even a thing? For someone in their 30s? Can you find an example to support what you say? Delayed puberty happens to teens perhaps early 20s, but I seem to remember Sheldon bragging about his full pubis in his teens and fully functioning genitals.

Also, if this 'puberty' was kicking in, why would he only notice Amy's attributes? If he was indeed going through 'puberty' would his 'ears' not prick up at the sexual stimuli of others he finds attractive (whatever the writers decide that stimulus is going to be.....I still stand by the idea that Sheldon's deal is Amy, which fits with demisexuality)?

I don't know of examples, I'm simply going by the way they have treated him on the show.  And the fact that they have refused to label him.

They've obviously exaggerated a lot of his issues for comedy, including his naivete, etc., and they bend that here and there for effect, so they joke about his "delayed puberty" and so forth.  Whether or not it exists, he is finally finding his desire in Amy.

And I'm not saying he isn't a demisexual, whose sexual attraction is triggered only by the one he loves.

All I'm saying is that the writers didn't create him one way and then change their minds, which is what Ki22 has been contending all along.

Um no... not exactly.

The writers have said they did not know where they were going with "Sheldon" in the beginning of the show.  They did not have him fleshed out yet.

I said it was nice to have a character on T.V. " kind of like US."  I did say that the current incarnation is "like" a relationship between an asexual and a demisex or hedrosex person.  It is. 

Following the majority rule is going to make them "tbbt" popular and money...how the world works.

Also, on a different note...again just said it was "nice to see a similar relationship."  I do not need a representative...or a poster boy.  I know me, I am my own representative and I am fine.

What would people do if the writers "did" decide to go that way...actually make them some kind of asex couple, come out and say it?  Would everybody quit watching?

I  just wondered why that can't happen....Now I am wondering what would happen if the writers did choose to do that?

Would there be this kind of uproar?

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ki

p.s. I don't mean to offend you or your position.

I  just wondered why that can't happen....

Why should it happen?

Now I am wondering what would happen if the writers did choose to do that?

Would there be this kind of uproar?

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ki

Since Amy definitely wants a sexual relationship and Sheldon seemingly no longer objects to it. We'll never know, will we?

Well in S6 Sheldon revealed to Leonard and Penny he hasen't ruled out Coitus with Amy. I'll say it is very possible ;).

Well in S6 Sheldon revealed to Leonard and Penny he hasen't ruled out Coitus with Amy. I'll say it is very possible ;).

He has not ruled out a "physical" relationship.

Sleep with Amy could actually mean sleep.

That would be "sweet".

Why should it happen?

Since Amy definitely wants a sexual relationship and Sheldon seemingly no longer objects to it. We'll never know, will we?

Why can't it happen was my Q.

If it was written like that...would people be turned off by the show?

He kinda does at this point, objects to some of it...He has expressed that he loves her.  Asexual people do love.  But he is not at the same point she is.  It is the same with some asex peeps.  Demi people...feel that more.  I am neutral and cannot speak for them.   I am just relating the t.v.show on my own experience...that is what everyone does.

I am in fan fiction section....right?

ki

I get where you're coming from Ki.  Yes, so far the relationship hasn't moved beyond demi-romantic and the only indication we've been given of his sexual attraction to her was in the train kiss (which seemed to take him unawares and knock him for six).  The kisses shown since then have been guarded (I love Leonard's quote about how he's seen them kiss and it's not romantic).

I would imagine there are a great many people who would be just as happy if the Shamy never had sex; of course there's going to also be a fair few who would be bitterly disappointed (with me being one of them).

The storylines do seem to be building to something and I suspect (and very much hope) it will go down the sex route.  It's impossible to predict what they'll dream up for them.  I hope it's weird, wonderful and totally off the wall but then you're going to have those who want it sweet and romantic, someone's always going to be disappointed with the outcome.

Even though I can't wait to see it, if it never happens it won't be a deal breaker for me.  I watch the show because it's funny.  When it stops being funny then I'll stop watching.