The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rick71

Newbie From The Uk

Hi everyone

I've just signed up, so I thought I'd say hello. I'm a big fan of the show - it gets shown on E4 over here, usually two or three episodes repeated every night. Season 8 starts this Thursday, which will be a welcome respite from the endless repeats! 

I'm originally from the north west of England, near Manchester, but I've been living in London for the last 14 years. I refuse to let London dilute my northern accent though. I'm having none of that - I pronounce my vowels properly!

I'll be paying my first visit to the US in a couple of weeks - I'll be in Hollywood for a week from November 7th, and the second week isn't really planned yet. However, yesterday I did manage to get a ticket for the show being taped on Tuesday November 18th, which I'm very pleased about. Once I've familiarised myself with the forum I'll post in the appropriate thread - it would be great to meet other fans attending the same taping, as I only managed to get a ticket for myself! So that day I'll be all on my lonesome.

Anyway, hello to you all from my desk in my office just by the Thames. I'd probably better start getting some work done now...

Edited by Rick71
  • Like 3

Welcome Rick71, I hope you enjoy your time here. Don't forget to look at the main site. For your information, there are two threads in the season forum that may be of interest to you. "Infomation for attending a taping" and "Members who will be attending tapings". You can pick up some good information there. Again welcome.

Thanks! I've just posted in the "Information for attending a taping" thread...

I'll add you to the Members attending thread. If you go there you can see who else is going.

I'll add you to the Members attending thread. If you go there you can see who else is going.

Thanks! Ooh, they must all be so excited!  :icon_wink:

Edited by Rick71

Welcome to the forums, Rick71. I hope you like being a member here.

Enjoy the taping. :)

Thanks! You all seem like a nice bunch. And it's nice to be on a forum where people can construct a sentence! Being a bit of a stickler for grammar, I appreciate that. I'm still a little dazed that I managed to get a ticket - I planned it with military precision and it paid off!

Hi everyone

I've just signed up, so I thought I'd say hello. I'm a big fan of the show - it gets shown on E4 over here, usually two or three episodes repeated every night. Season 8 starts this Thursday, which will be a welcome respite from the endless repeats! 

I'm originally from the north west of England, near Manchester, but I've been living in London for the last 14 years. I refuse to let London dilute my northern accent though. I'm having none of that - I pronounce my vowels properly!

I'll be paying my first visit to the US in a couple of weeks - I'll be in Hollywood for a week from November 7th, and the second week isn't really planned yet. However, yesterday I did manage to get a ticket for the show being taped on Tuesday November 18th, which I'm very pleased about. Once I've familiarised myself with the forum I'll post in the appropriate thread - it would be great to meet other fans attending the same taping, as I only managed to get a ticket for myself! So that day I'll be all on my lonesome.

Anyway, hello to you all from my desk in my office just by the Thames. I'd probably better start getting some work done now...

Hi and welcome.  I spent a year living in Trawden in the North West of England, near Manchester, so I know that part of the UK very well.  I am impressed with your skills in gaining a ticket whilst visiting the USA, one day I hope to do that so I might get some pointers from you in the future.  

• Like 1

Hello and thanks! Trawden isn't that far from where I come from - Atherton, near Bolton and Westhoughton. I'm back up that way next week to see family and I'll be spending a few days at my sister's in Delph, near Saddleworth. I find I can't spend too much time in Atherton these days - too depressing and claustrophobic!

There's a very useful guide for obtaining a ticket on the forum, which I followed. This is what I did:

- Visit the TV.com website ticket booking page at just before 4:00pm GMT (8:00am LA time) on Monday, when tickets become available

- Have the same page open in five windows

- Keep pressing the F5 button to refresh each window, observe the site slow down as the traffic builds

- Start getting frustrated as repeated refreshing doesn't show up TBBT tickets in the drop-down menu, keep going anyway

- At around 4:30pm (8:30am LA time) watch the site crash under the weight of traffic with an error message and 'reload' button, keep refreshing/reloading all windows

- Wonder at how quickly everything just seems to grind to a halt and how anyone ever manages to get a ticket like this

- Maintain a hawk-like watch over each window, pouncing on the drop-down menu as soon as it appears

- Gasp when you see the TBBT details in there, click hurriedly on it and hope that your shaking hand hasn't selected Two Broke Girls by mistake

- Reach the booking page, enter your details with shaking hands, make a few typos, correct them, click the 'submit' button

- Yell with frustration as you're greeted with an error message, hit F5

- See the booking page appear in another window, repeat earlier process, sigh with relief as Google Chrome auto-fills the details for you

- See the booking page appear in another window, repeat earlier process, sigh with relief as Google Chrome auto-fills the details for you

- See that the page you refreshed a couple of moments ago has now become a confirmation page with your ticket, which you almost didn't notice due to the aforementioned frustration caused by the other windows crashing

- Yell with sheer joy at having managed it, apologise to elderly neighbour and assure her that a violent incident has not occurred

I've been very lucky this year in that regard. I managed to get tickets for Monty Python and Kate Bush, so this makes it a hat trick! I hope you manage to get tickets.  :icon_razz:

• Like 1

welcome , rick71

we all go through that for tickets.

they hard to get, glad you got one.

• Like 1