Shenny Fan Fic By Non-Canon Fodder (Aka Atob)

Phantagrae you seem to take great pleasure in disagreeing with almost everything I post on this forum, which I find strange because, in fact we share an awful lot of the same opinions about this program.

In what way do you think I have attacked you?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not a long-standing Shenny/Sheldon-shipper or nostalgic on this site like the many witty people you've met here but I just want you to know that it was a pleasure to actually see a thread mentioni

No thanks.... I'll pass

I think, it's about reader expectation of fanfictions in general. I'm choosing fanfictions mostly based on interesting plot, I prefer Shamy, or OC but I'm not against any possibility. But what is main

Phantagrae you seem to take great pleasure in disagreeing with almost everything I post on this forum, which I find strange because, in fact we share an awful lot of the same opinions about this program.

In what way do you think I have attacked you?

Well your implication that I arrogantly think my opinion is better than anyone else's, your statement, "Yes I'm sure you and your Beta produce the most gloriously in character fanfic ever written."

Such comments sound awfully like personal attacks, especially since I never said or implied anything like that about you or your writing.

I don't know whether or not you use a beta, and I never said anything one way or another about whether or not that was an issue in your writing. As I said, when I was making those points, I was talking to File about fanfic in general and it had nothing to do with your writing specifically. So again, I don't know why you felt compelled to take that tack with me.

Well your implication that I arrogantly think my opinion is better than anyone else's, your statement, "Yes I'm sure you and your Beta produce the most gloriously in character fanfic ever written."

Such comments sound awfully like personal attacks, especially since I never said or implied anything like that about you or your writing.

I don't know whether or not you use a beta, and I never said anything one way or another about whether or not that was an issue in your writing. As I said, when I was making those points, I was talking to File about fanfic in general and it had nothing to do with your writing specifically. So again, I don't know why you felt compelled to take that tack with me.

Because you are unable to leave alone, that's why. You seem to take it upon yourself, as some sort of fan fic crusader, to right the wrongs in others work because your opinion is the only correct one to have.

Why not go read my Halloween fic, then you can come on here and tell me Sheldon isn't really a giant alien bug and once again I'm wrong, Wrong, WRONG!!!

Sheesh!

I think this is just a big misunderstanding and we should try to keep this thread as positive as we can. It's a nice idea indeed, encouraging them to come back.

I said leave it. And side comments from others aren't needed either. So everyone move along, or I'll lock it until it cools down.

Is it weird that I love that you wrote this in pink Tensor?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/068/d/4/PINK_POWER_logo_by_HCMP.jpg

I think this is just a big misunderstanding and we should try to keep this thread as positive as we can. It's a nice idea indeed, encouraging them to come back.

Yeah, I suspect that ain't happening any time soon. Shame :(

• Like 1

I'm not a long-standing Shenny/Sheldon-shipper or nostalgic on this site like the many witty people you've met here but I just want you to know that it was a pleasure to actually see a thread mentioning 'Shenny' that didn't go on to belittle the topic.  There is a serious lack of Shenny stories on the site and I thought that was sad given that Shennys are a part of the fandom and I feel that the site should welcome all who feel affection for The Big Bang Theory.

I read fan fiction of all types: Shennys and Shamys and Shelnards, etc. Humour, drama, romance, et al. What draws me to the story is the strength of the writer. I want my characters to 'ring true' in tone but beyond that the writer can go nuts with it. Sheldon can be a freedom fighter in a terminator world. Amy can cure Raj of his selective mutism. Leonard can marry Leslie. Or date Stephanie. Or Sheldon. I like writers who take chances, who surprise me and make me more than a little green with envy at the strength of their imaginations. I read to be entertained, pure and simple.

What I don't appreciate are the nasty anonymous or dummy account comments I see left on stories just because they are 'Shenny'. Yes, I understand that there are stories out there people might not agree with in terms of character portrayals (and I've seen unflattering portrayals in every 'ship' I've read, Shenny and Shamy included) but when I encounter such a story I do something silly called 'not read it'. Not everything is to my taste, even in my preferred 'ships, but I click and move on. The author doesn't need to know that the story didn't tickle my fancy or that I don't read a particular 'ship because it's 'delusional'.  I like thoughtful comments on plot and dialogue and seeing people praise something I, too, enjoyed  and I make it a point to provide the same. Fan fiction IMO takes guts to write and post. All the writer asks is for the privilege of your time in the hopes of entertaining you and possibly getting a review so she knows she's not alone.  

I write fan fiction and while my stories are of a particular bent I know that I have readers from all tastes and persuasions reading my work. Truly, I appreciate their efforts in reading my stories as I do try my best to entertain. I know that my stories do not please everyone, even those in the 'ship category I write for, but that's okay. Fan fiction fills in niches where canon does not go. It allows us to ask, 'what if?', and that there are so many different categories like Shenny, Shamy, Lenny, Shelnard, Pamy, Raj/Howard, no relationships, etc, says to me that the characters created by Lorre et al are so rich and dynamic that they raise imagination to new heights in terms of the creative output of their fans.

There are those who prefer canon fictions and that's okay. Some like Lennys. Others, however, like Shenny or Rajette or stories without a romantic angle. And still more who follow specific characters through every incarnation.  This is what makes The Big Bang Theory fandom thrive.  And allowing people of all bents and persuasions a forum in which to express their joy for the Big Bang universe would be absolutely wonderful.  After all, the show, itself, celebrates 'differences' , has characters who believe in multiple universes, and discourages bullying. I guess I've bought into this central message, have embraced the 'weirdness', and enjoy seeing it in fan fictions, whether it's a Shamy, Shenny or any other 'ship. If there's a world where Sheldon's made from cotton candy there's one where Shenny exists. Or Leonardette. Or Ramy.

Whether you, as a reader, care to enter these worlds is solely up to you but don't take away another's enjoyment. 'Ships in all forms are celebrations and their diversity is what makes the fandom healthy.

So, ATOB, my thanks for sharing your work. Normally my comments are solely observations of the show so this one is a bit OT for me. Nevertheless, I didn't want you to feel like your attempt was in vain.

Regards, Project Gorilla

• Like 5

Point is being cannon or non cannon. When you write fan fic, you need to be line with the initial purpose of the characters in the show. Bashing Leonard or Amy doesent seem true to that purpose IMO. Obvioiusley its ficiton, so you can make it anyway you want. But obviousley Sheldon is not Penny's type, neither is Penny Sheldon's type. So I am guessing its kind hard to work around that. Would Bridget date Sheldon? Lol prob not. Personally I think the whole concept is hilarous, but I woulden't read Shenny Romantic Fan Fic, I like Platonic Shenny though.  

Edited by 3ku11

I am mostly Lenny and Shamy shipper (and Stucy when it comes to non cannonical pairings, I think that nobody likes it as I do), but I do read Shenny at times, and there are Shenny stories that I like. I usually read Shenny out of curiosity, like when I read that some author writes both Shenny and Shamy. Some authors, I think, can make it work (at least seem believable) despite Sheldon and Penny's angsty relationahip on the show, but that is rare. For example I liked "Sharing the Shenny Sauce" by tx-fictionqueen because it involved zombies and Sheldon's mailman being killed by zombies and Penny somehow managing to find humor in that whole situation and "Oedipus complex" by TheDarkestShinobi (author who writes Shenny and Shamy and Sheslie fics). And "The Fledgling Attachment Quandry" by ShellyStark, but I am not sure is it a romance or friendship fic...

I don't like Shenny stories that bash Leonard and Amy, and it often feels like writer who writes it is more interested in that then making Sheldon and Penny a couple. I don't like character bashing of any kind, actually, but mostly Shenny stories have it the worst (not all of them but most of them).

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1

Point is being cannon or non cannon. When you write fan fic, you need to be line with the initial purpose of the characters in the show. Bashing Leonard or Amy doesent seem true to that purpose IMO. Obvioiusley its ficiton, so you can make it anyway you want. But obviousley Sheldon is not Penny's type, neither is Penny Sheldon's type. So I am guessing its kind hard to work around that. Would Bridget date Sheldon? Lol prob not. Personally I think the whole concept is hilarous, but I woulden't read Shenny Romantic Fan Fic, I like Platonic Shenny though.  

I don't believe that imagination should be limited and given that the writers on the show can have their characters come up with something so lovely as 'secret agent laser obstacle chess' it's a sign to me that imagination is the name of the game. There are no rules to fan fic because fan fic is, by its nature, a celebration of a particular fandom. I'm not telling you how you should express that joy. Really, it's none of my business why you like BBT. It could be for the comic book references or Shamy or Howard. That you can become passionate enough to actually want to create something of your own (and have the courage to post it!) is absolutely wonderful because it says that the show has *engaged* you. As soon as a single word is typed on your processor you've entered into an AU as even canon-like stories are still not the show, itself. That doesn't mean that your particular take from a different character's perspective or a continuation of the scene is invalid. To me it adds to the Big Bang fandom. I mean I think we've all read a particular story where we sit back, sated, and say, 'I'd love for the show to be like this'. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better or worse than canon. It does mean that the story is *different* and that the writer has succeeded in her attempt at expressing her passion for the characters.

Writing fan fiction is an effort. It takes time and imagination. Your statement that 'obviously Sheldon is not Penny's type' is how you choose to align your Big Bang world. Power to you.  I, however, can read stories where not only is Sheldon a viable candidate for Penny but also Leonard, Martha, Ramona or Leslie Winkle. If someone can draw my imagination into their depiction of Sheldon I'd follow him into relations with Wil Wheaton! I guess that's the point for me: if a story captures my imagination then it becomes a part of my own 'personal canon/headspace' and to me that's valid. 

Edited by Project Gorilla
  • Like 1

I am mostly Lenny and Shamy shipper (and Stucy when it comes to non cannonical pairings, I think that nobody likes it as I do), but I do read Shenny at times, and there are Shenny stories that I like. I usually read Shenny out of curiosity, like when I read that some author writes both Shenny and Shamy. Some authors, I think, can make it work (at least seem believable) despite Sheldon and Penny's angsty relationahip on the show, but that is rare. For example I liked "Sharing the Shenny Sauce" by tx-fictionqueen because it involved zombies and Sheldon's mailman being killed by zombies and Penny somehow managing to find humor in that whole situation and "Oedipus complex" by TheDarkestShinobi (author who writes Shenny and Shamy and Sheslie fics). And "The Fledgling Attachment Quandry" by ShellyStark, but I am not sure is it a romance or friendship fic...

I don't like Shenny stories that bash Leonard and Amy, and it often feels like writer who writes it is more interested in that then making Sheldon and Penny a couple. I don't like character bashing of any kind, actually, but mostly Shenny stories have it the worst (not all of them but most of them)

Personally, I like all of the characters through season four mainly because I feel that the quality of the humour on the show was top-notch. The writers took chances and were very inventive with their situations and I loved the playfulness of the dialogue. It's why for me the Scavenger Vortex was such a wonderful throwback as it had unusual pairings and zany situations.

I don't tend to read fictions that mindlessly bash particular characters. If a character in a particular story is a shmuck, show me why s/he is a shmuck. If I find it implausible (for me), I move on to another fic. I don't leave a negative comment because I realize that this isn't my story, my vision. Perhaps the character needed to be a shmuck in order to illustrate the point the author is trying to make. All the writer has done is offer me the opportunity to read her work and after sampling I declined. It's not personal to me; it's just not my taste. 

I'm definitely not advocating reading stories you don't like. I just want it known that there are wonderful stories out there in all sorts of 'ship and friendship scenarios that deserve to be read, or at least made mention of in the Fan Fiction section of the site. This thread is an example. The show is all about diversity and I think it's important to show that, to offer choices to potential readers in the hopes of them becoming as passionate about the show as we are!   

Edited by Project Gorilla
  • Like 2

I think, it's about reader expectation of fanfictions in general. I'm choosing fanfictions mostly based on interesting plot, I prefer Shamy, or OC but I'm not against any possibility. But what is main to me is to have feeling I'm reading BBT fanfiction. If writer just change whole personality and characteristics from the show, and make them Sheldon and Penny (or everybody else), just by naming them that way... what point does it make ? Is it still fiction for this show? I'm all for imagination, they could be enterprise on the moon, and still act in the way, they would based on the show. I would say this forcing the plot, despite all characterization is common more in Shenny, given by their totally different nature, but it's pretty common in Shamy world too. Sometimes I read something, surprisingly discovering Sheldon had "coitus" and that cure all of his deep psychological problems, turning him into loving sweaty hippie.Or making mister Gray from fifty shades ashamed by his (first) encounter. That's out of my comfort zone too. But that's just my opinion (which by the way, isn't related to this fanfiction - only generalization, and answer mostly to Project Gorila post). 

And for the negative feedback. I do that (but mostly I don't have a reason), but always explaining what in particular I found odd and why. I think negative feedback is as important as positive. If anyone will telling me just how awesome I'm, and that I don't have any mistake, what would make me trying to be even better? Nobody's perfect, but sometimes you need to heard for someone else what was wrong, to realize, how next time, maybe do that  better. Of course I'm not talking about comments like "I don't like that" "You're stupid for writing it" and something like that. That just can make writer  smile for himself and overlook. It reminded me of Hazerla's Shrodinger coitus. It have some negative feedback at the beginning, but she take that, and explain herself and her views, without being offensive or upset. People loved that by the end.

So in the end, I appreciate every writer who's trying to write characters from this show truthfully, giving them interesting paths, that couldn't happen  in the show and make me see how they would struggle with that. In Shamy, Lenny, Shenny or Sheldon's cotton candy world... That's magic of fanfiction for me :)

• Like 4

Here is my two cents.  (And remember the value of the US dollar is tanked, so my two cents are worth even less)

As  a Fan fiction writer, I try like the dickens to keep the characters in their voice. I am going to put them in different situations, and plots, and through my story, I might even change their character.  If my goal is to change a character in some way, I have to make it a realistic journey to that change.  For this story, Sheldon is put into a situation that compels a DRASTIC change in him.  IT is the plot that changed the character, not the author, in my opinion.  If it was just another day at the office, and Sheldon and Penny start knocking boots, leave Amy and Leonard behind, then I would say hey, what the hell??  ATOB has told me the plot, and it is viable.  I dont like it, in fact it makes me sad, but it believable, and that is what good fiction is for me: Believable.

Now, as far as what is canon, what isn't canon, sure, we all have plots that seem impossible  I mean, come on, one Fan fic could explore one event in drastically different ways.  One of the most popular ones is Misophonia, the Mendacity Revelation is all about Amy going off about Kripke and Sheldon's lie.  I completely disagree with that premises, I think Amy would be fine with Sheldon lying about their sex life if it kept him as the Alpha.  My opinion, and in my FF she is fine with it, she even boosts it more!  So who's right?  Me or Miso?  Truth is, it doesn't matter, because we both tried to write it with believable motivations.  BTW, I love that fan fic even if i didn't believe in the premise of the plot.  It didn't detract from the story, in fact, i just accepted it.  However, there is a big glaring similarity:  Both stories are Shamy, therefore i will easily believe anything that goes along with that pairing.  As long as jives with what i think to be true, then I hop on the literary train, no questions.

However, I seriously doubt any Shamy shipper would like most Shenny stories and visa versa.  The premise just doesn't filter through our believable factor.  So given that this FF was posted as a Shenny, i think any arguments from Shamy as to non-canon vs. canon are tainted and should be taken with seriously large dose of salt.  Like mountains of salt.  I have no business reviewing a Shenny anymore than I do a Twilight.  Can't believe that Shenny would be viable and I can't believe that anyone would find Kristen Stuart attractive, let alone fight over her. 

That is the basic problem with this FF: IT's believable and it hits us at our core beliefs.   I've tried to read it no less than 5 times.  I can't get past the 3rd chapter. I kick myself every time I start it, and I want to read more, but it is too painful for me. I connect too much with Amy, have had my heart broken like this too many times in my past to read about Sheldon living his life with her.  I wish I could get past it, and read it, but I can't.  NOW that is what i call good Fan Fiction.  Something so powerful, so well written that i can't even read it because  is too real and challenges what i think to be true.

Maybe that's the problem.  

Edited by hazelra7
  • Like 3

I didn't find plot to be unbelievable, If I get myself into 'yes it happened' I can see how it caused these drastic changes in their characters. What I found less believable was their behavior to this situation and mostly for Leonard and Amy, and that was my problem. Even in this plot, I just couldn't see them without serious guilt, or Leonard and Amy really devastated. But ATOB make that clear, that she had problem to write this things for Amy, which I understand, It's not easy if you like the character. 

And I totally get you with this fanfiction. You've tried to read that 5 times, I stopped reading after 5 chapters, and yes, I finally bring myself to read to the end. It's just what you really are going for on the writers side. To even if someone disagree, it's not his thing, still can't stop reading. It's like twilight you've mentioned, I read it and was like...fain...whatever. And when I read Of Mice and Man by Steinbeck I was crying and cursing everything, wishing to put book to the freezer like Joye in Friends did, but I couldn't. This emotional response is  really feature of good writing, this feeling it really left something in us. Prove of it is the fact, we're still talking about it. 

To update ATOB on my views on next chapters... If you care a little...It was heart breaking as much as I expected, but as I said, It really hit me and left some trace in me. I love good drama, and I think you have great timing and kind of ability to shock and turn events in unexpected ways in right time. I really needed to disconnect from my emotional side to read to the end, and I was surprised epilogue left good feeling in me. It was kind of melancholic, but it ended in the way where everything fell into places, and made sense. It was really good written, and totally believable. I felt like you're not trying to "sell" me your point of view, but giving me way, to find my own. It has more different meanings for me, and that is what I took from that for myself. I'm glad I made it to the end, it was worth it.

• Like 3

I think, it's about reader expectation of fanfictions in general. I'm choosing fanfictions mostly based on interesting plot, I prefer Shamy, or OC but I'm not against any possibility. But what is main to me is to have feeling I'm reading BBT fanfiction. If writer just change whole personality and characteristics from the show, and make them Sheldon and Penny (or everybody else), just by naming them that way... what point does it make ? Is it still fiction for this show? I'm all for imagination, they could be enterprise on the moon, and still act in the way, they would based on the show. I would say this forcing the plot, despite all characterization is common more in Shenny, given by their totally different nature, but it's pretty common in Shamy world too. Sometimes I read something, surprisingly discovering Sheldon had "coitus" and that cure all of his deep psychological problems, turning him into loving sweaty hippie.Or making mister Gray from fifty shades ashamed by his (first) encounter. That's out of my comfort zone too. But that's just my opinion (which by the way, isn't related to this fanfiction - only generalization, and answer mostly to Project Gorila post). 

And for the negative feedback. I do that (but mostly I don't have a reason), but always explaining what in particular I found odd and why. I think negative feedback is as important as positive. If anyone will telling me just how awesome I'm, and that I don't have any mistake, what would make me trying to be even better? Nobody's perfect, but sometimes you need to heard for someone else what was wrong, to realize, how next time, maybe do that  better. Of course I'm not talking about comments like "I don't like that" "You're stupid for writing it" and something like that. That just can make writer  smile for himself and overlook. It reminded me of Hazerla's Shrodinger coitus. It have some negative feedback at the beginning, but she take that, and explain herself and her views, without being offensive or upset. People loved that by the end.

So in the end, I appreciate every writer who's trying to write characters from this show truthfully, giving them interesting paths, that couldn't happen  in the show and make me see how they would struggle with that. In Shamy, Lenny, Shenny or Sheldon's cotton candy world... That's magic of fanfiction for me :)

I agree wholeheartedly concerning the emphasis on characterization. When a writer 'nails' the gang in terms of tone, habits, mannerisms, phrases, etc that sets the stage for me to sit back and say, 'ok, I know the cast, lead me to wherever you want to go.' If the voices aren't 'right' (again, very subjective but in this case I'll just say 'to my satisfaction') then I find myself struggling to maintain my belief (and interest tbh). As for stories that are OOC to the point of unfamiliarity I leave that 'to the eye of the beholder' so to speak as all I can firmly say is, 'to me, there's little in common between your characters and the ones on the show.' It could be that I just 'don't get it' and that's very possible. At the end of the day we all write to our own satisfaction and not everyone is going to get how our minds tick!

I don't consider what you're saying to people as being 'negative' feedback. In my fictions I've had many people comment on things that seemed weird in terms of plot or inconsistency in characterization and I'm totally fine with that because, as you said above, if nobody says anything I'll continue to make the same mistakes (if they are mistakes. Sometimes they're intentional and it might be a case of rubbing up against a reader's individual preference, which happens). In one story of mine I had to take a hiatus as a particular reviewer got me really thinking about the direction of the plot. When I say I keep my comments on the positive side I mean that I keep in mind that the writer isn't getting paid for this. She's passionate about the subject and is doing her best. When I'm confused, I ask questions. When I like an idea or line of dialogue I let her know. If the author responds I sometimes engage in pm conversations elaborating on the story. Like you said, I don't believe in 'this is stupid' or 'you're delusional' comments. They really don't help the author in any capacity and can be particularly demoralizing if this is the writer's first attempt (because I'm sure we can all look at our earliest work and cringe).  :icon_redface:   

• Like 2

As  a Fan fiction writer, I try like the dickens to keep the characters in their voice. I am going to put them in different situations, and plots, and through my story, I might even change their character.  If my goal is to change a character in some way, I have to make it a realistic journey to that change.  For this story, Sheldon is put into a situation that compels a DRASTIC change in him.  IT is the plot that changed the character, not the author, in my opinion.  If it was just another day at the office, and Sheldon and Penny start knocking boots, leave Amy and Leonard behind, then I would say hey, what the hell??  ATOB has told me the plot, and it is viable.  I dont like it, in fact it makes me sad, but it believable, and that is what good fiction is for me: Believable.

Now, as far as what is canon, what isn't canon, sure, we all have plots that seem impossible  I mean, come on, one Fan fic could explore one event in drastically different ways.  One of the most popular ones is Misophonia, the Mendacity Revelation is all about Amy going off about Kripke and Sheldon's lie.  I completely disagree with that premises, I think Amy would be fine with Sheldon lying about their sex life if it kept him as the Alpha.  My opinion, and in my FF she is fine with it, she even boosts it more!  So who's right?  Me or Miso?  Truth is, it doesn't matter, because we both tried to write it with believable motivations.  BTW, I love that fan fic even if i didn't believe in the premise of the plot.  It didn't detract from the story, in fact, i just accepted it.  However, there is a big glaring similarity:  Both stories are Shamy, therefore i will easily believe anything that goes along with that pairing.  As long as jives with what i think to be true, then I hop on the literary train, no questions.

However, I seriously doubt any Shamy shipper would like most Shenny stories and visa versa.  The premise just doesn't filter through our believable factor.  So given that this FF was posted as a Shenny, i think any arguments from Shamy as to non-canon vs. canon are tainted and should be taken with seriously large dose of salt.  Like mountains of salt.  I have no business reviewing a Shenny anymore than I do a Twilight.  Can't believe that Shenny would be viable and I can't believe that anyone would find Kristen Stuart attractive, let alone fight over her. 

As to your first thought, I agree. Things have to be plausible within the universe of the story itself to satisfy me. If someone says/does something I consider 'out of whack' I want an explanation and I'm a big believer in 'show, don't tell'.  If the writer presents me with a believable explanation I'm game to go--either to the next chapter or else the next story. After all, even if the plot is consistent and believable doesn't mean that it's necessarily something I want to read.

You're probably right with your analysis that Shamy and Shenny readers are for the most part polar opposites when it comes to their choice of reading material. However, that doesn't mean that the site (imo) shouldn't offer both in its fan fiction section--and a whole lot more! What gets my goat is when a person can read and dislike a story from a particular 'ship and then come up with a sweeping conclusion that *all* the stories in a 'ship suck. I know from reading over hundreds of stories crossing multiple 'ships that there are stories that work for me and some that don't but I can't say that the writers in a particular 'ship are 'right' or 'wrong' in their basic premise whether it is Shenny, Shamy, Leonardette or Shelnard. What counts for me is whether it's well-written and interesting enough to keep my attention. Granted, if you lean towards a specific 'ship you'll be more patient, tolerant and accepting of stories within your 'ship; and it's also probable that having a specific leaning will make you less forgiving if you find things you don't like in stories that aren't of your 'ship. I just want people to remember that regardless of your 'ship we're all, first and foremost, fans of the show and its characters. Sometimes I think that gets lost by the wayside....

• Like 2

Hello to you Project Gorilla (waves). Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, much appreciated. So, what is your 'bent', are you going to tell?

@ 3ku11, who is Bridget? :S

@ Mislav, yes, I love TX's Shenny Sauce entry, a Walking Dead and Big Bang crossover, what's not to like eh? That one made my fav list on the FF site.

I don't believe that imagination should be limited and given that the writers on the show can have their characters come up with something so lovely as 'secret agent laser obstacle chess' it's a sign to me that imagination is the name of the game. There are no rules to fan fic because fan fic is, by its nature, a celebration of a particular fandom. I'm not telling you how you should express that joy. Really, it's none of my business why you like BBT. It could be for the comic book references or Shamy or Howard. That you can become passionate enough to actually want to create something of your own (and have the courage to post it!) is absolutely wonderful because it says that the show has *engaged* you. As soon as a single word is typed on your processor you've entered into an AU as even canon-like stories are still not the show, itself. That doesn't mean that your particular take from a different character's perspective or a continuation of the scene is invalid. To me it adds to the Big Bang fandom. I mean I think we've all read a particular story where we sit back, sated, and say, 'I'd love for the show to be like this'. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better or worse than canon. It does mean that the story is *different* and that the writer has succeeded in her attempt at expressing her passion for the characters.

Writing fan fiction is an effort. It takes time and imagination. Your statement that 'obviously Sheldon is not Penny's type' is how you choose to align your Big Bang world. Power to you.  I, however, can read stories where not only is Sheldon a viable candidate for Penny but also Leonard, Martha, Ramona or Leslie Winkle. If someone can draw my imagination into their depiction of Sheldon I'd follow him into relations with Wil Wheaton! I guess that's the point for me: if a story captures my imagination then it becomes a part of my own 'personal canon/headspace' and to me that's valid. 

Not exactly. It's how I choose to align things based on the evidence the show has given me, I don't just align the stars out of thin air haha. But I agree with everything else you said. 

Hello to you Project Gorilla (waves). Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, much appreciated. So, what is your 'bent', are you going to tell?

@ 3ku11, who is Bridget? :S

@ Mislav, yes, I love TX's Shenny Sauce entry, a Walking Dead and Big Bang crossover, what's not to like eh? That one made my fav list on the FF site.

Bridget off 8 Simple Rules haha. 

• Like 1

That is the basic problem with this FF: IT's believable and it hits us at our core beliefs. I've tried to read it no less than 5 times. I can't get past the 3rd chapter. I kick myself every time I start it, and I want to read more, but it is too painful for me. I connect too much with Amy, have had my heart broken like this too many times in my past to read about Sheldon living his life with her. I wish I could get past it, and read it, but I can't. NOW that is what i call good Fan Fiction. Something so powerful, so well written that i can't even read it because is too real and challenges what i think to be true.

Maybe that's the problem.

I got your reviews, thanks so very much. Honestly, I won't be upset if you never manage the rest, pinky promise!

Remember, the whole reason this fic came about in the first place was the awful nagging 'but how would that ever happen' that turned into a fevered case of cacoethes scribbendi till I'd purged it from my system.

Edited by ATOB
  • Like 1

so this is where you have been. ok. ;)

well, i want to apologize for not reading this story. i know you are a terrific writer ( seriously) but i can't get past the title. i'm a fan of the couples just as they are on the show..no alternate combinations. 

i do hope though that people who read it really enjoyed it. you make things come to life :)

ps. when you are done with this... there are some ideas lingering you know where...  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I didn't find plot to be unbelievable, If I get myself into 'yes it happened' I can see how it caused these drastic changes in their characters. What I found less believable was their behavior to this situation and mostly for Leonard and Amy, and that was my problem. Even in this plot, I just couldn't see them without serious guilt, or Leonard and Amy really devastated. But ATOB make that clear, that she had problem to write this things for Amy, which I understand, It's not easy if you like the character. 

And I totally get you with this fanfiction. You've tried to read that 5 times, I stopped reading after 5 chapters, and yes, I finally bring myself to read to the end. It's just what you really are going for on the writers side. To even if someone disagree, it's not his thing, still can't stop reading. It's like twilight you've mentioned, I read it and was like...fain...whatever. And when I read Of Mice and Man by Steinbeck I was crying and cursing everything, wishing to put book to the freezer like Joye in Friends did, but I couldn't. This emotional response is  really feature of good writing, this feeling it really left something in us. Prove of it is the fact, we're still talking about it. 

To update ATOB on my views on next chapters... If you care a little...It was heart breaking as much as I expected, but as I said, It really hit me and left some trace in me. I love good drama, and I think you have great timing and kind of ability to shock and turn events in unexpected ways in right time. I really needed to disconnect from my emotional side to read to the end, and I was surprised epilogue left good feeling in me. It was kind of melancholic, but it ended in the way where everything fell into places, and made sense. It was really good written, and totally believable. I felt like you're not trying to "sell" me your point of view, but giving me way, to find my own. It has more different meanings for me, and that is what I took from that for myself. I'm glad I made it to the end, it was worth it.

Thanks for taking the time, appreciate it!

Steinbeck's a hard row to hoe, I agree. As a pony mad little girl I read The Red Pony...yee gads, I'm still reeling from it 32 years later. ;)