Sports Thread

The preacher

Anyone else watching Women's World Cup soccer? If it's anything like the men's tournament last year, it's going to be a wild ride! #GoTeamUSA #GoTeamCanada

Do they take their tops of when they score. then I'll be interested/I mean watch it. Lol.

Will missed today's game but yeah will be watching it. USA got a really good team and they could win it but you got England, Nigeria and China who could be threats.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by Tonstar17

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling really bad because I just realized that I completely forgot about the Women's World Cup. (Football or Soccer, whatever you call it). Really sorry, I think the girls deserve more recognition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Chicago Cubs lost at home to The Philadelphia Phillies today 5-0

The Phillies pitcher, Cole Hammels threw a no-hitter for the win.

The last time The Cubs we no-hit was Sandy Koufax's Dodgers v Cubs perfect game in LA on September 9, 1965

50 years...7920 games ago

Wow!

British Premier League football team Manchester City produced a dominant performance as they trounced the Vietnam National Team in a pre-season friendly, days before they begin their campaign to retake the league title from Chelsea FC.

City were unable to retain their 2013/14 league title last season as Chelsea won the league by eight points. Now, as Chelsea further strengthen their squad with the signing of the Colombian striker Radamel Falcao, widely thought to be one of the best goal scorers in world football, City face an uphill struggle to win back the title they have unsuccessfully defended twice in recent years.

But Chelsea and the title race could wait on Sunday, as City lined up to face Vietnam in what was always going to be a one-sided fixture. City controlled from the start despite not fielding their strongest players, with both top scorer Sergio Aguero and midfield beast Yaya Toure absent from the side. New signing Raheem Sterling, the 20 year old Englishman whom City paid an astonishing £49m to sign from Liverpool, did play however and was instrumental in the convincing win, scoring two of City's goals. The final result was an 8-1 win for City, fuelling the high hopes of fans who believe City will have their revenge over Chelsea this year and snatch the title back.

• 5 weeks later...

Today Pauline Ferrand-Prévot became World Champion Mountain Bike Cross Country.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot is now reigning world champion on the road, in cyclo-cross, and on mountain bike.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot is all sorts of awesome.

pfp-mtb.jpg

pfp-road.jpg

pfp-cross.jpg

pfp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today Pauline Ferrand-Prévot became World Champion Mountain Bike Cross Country.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot is now reigning world champion on the road, in cyclo-cross, and on mountain bike.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot is all sorts of awesome.

Update:

Yesterday in Richmond VA, Elizabeth Armitstead became world champion Road Race Women Elite.

1. Elizabeth Armitstead. http://procyclingstats.com/rider/Elizabeth_Armitstead

2. Anna van der Breggen. http://procyclingstats.com/rider/Anna_Van_Der_Breggen

3. Megan Guarnier. http://procyclingstats.com/rider/Megan_Guarnier

Pauline is now Wold Champion in only two diciplines of cycling.

lizzie1.jpg

Edited by Squonk

• 3 weeks later...

Our Chicago Cubs won against the St Louis Cardinals tonight and advanced to the NLCS for the first time in 12 years.

It's the first time the Cubs have ever clinched a post-season series at Wrigley Field.

Waiting for the outcome of the LA Dodgers v NY Mets series to find out who we play next.

Go Cubs Go.

12096156_10153127570283199_4357520919107

• Like 1

I grew up with the Cubs, coming home to watch their afternoon games on WGN.   I used an Ernie Banks model bat though high school.  I can still remember the lineup from the mid to late '60s.  I'm just friggen excited by this.  Just wish my dad could see it.  He never saw them win a post-season series.  

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 1

It's party time tonight here in Chicago

And, *fingers crossed* it will be party time in Toronto tomorrow night!

This is the first time in 22 years that they've even made the post-season... last time they went on to win the World Series.

I have tickets to tomorrows game, so reallllly hoping for a win!

• Like 1

And, *fingers crossed* it will be party time in Toronto tomorrow night!

This is the first time in 22 years that they've even made the post-season... last time they went on to win the World Series.

I have tickets to tomorrows game, so reallllly hoping for a win!

I'm envious. Go Jays!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...