The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tonstar17

Best Jokes You Know

Parallel lines have so much in common. It’s a shame they’ll never meet.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

On 9/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, Tonstar17 said:

Parallel lines have so much in common. It’s a shame they’ll never meet.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Perpendicular lines have only one point in common, and they'll never meet.

Your comment reflects 2 dimensional thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

A Genius and a Savant walk into a bar,

They're the same thing more or less. I don't get the joke.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I suppose it depends on context. I think of a genius as a young person and a savant as an old, worldly-wise type. 

They go into a bar and Rosie the barmaid says, 'Good evening gentlemen, what can I get you ?'

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I suppose it depends on context. I think of a genius as a young person and a savant as an old, worldly-wise type. 

They go into a bar and Rosie the barmaid says, 'Good evening gentlemen, what can I get you ?'

When people think Savant, they usually think of "idiot savants" who are people with extraordinarily gifted kills in a particular area while their general skills are at or below average. They are, in some cases, algorithmic machines who can, for example, tell you the day of the week of a particular date. Their gifts are organic in that they are the result of Nature, not Nurture.

A Genius chooses their area of specialization. They're general purpose machines. They can bore you to death on a wide variety of subjects, and they can tell you, or deduce, the algorithm for determining the day of the week from the date.

A  Savant can easily be stumped, a Genius conceals their ignorance better.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

When people think Savant, they usually think of "idiot savants"

I wonder why they'd do that ? Naughty people. Idiots.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I wonder why they'd do that ? Naughty people. Idiots.

No. That's what makes the Savants notable. The reports on TV focus on the remarkable accomplishments of people who would be marginalized based solely on their apparent disability.

Imagine Penny's boyfriend Zack being able to discuss nuances of Theoretical Physics with Sheldon, but only within very narrow bounds. Change the subject, and Zack's lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

No. That's what makes the Savants notable. The reports on TV focus on the remarkable accomplishments of people who would be marginalized based solely on their apparent disability.

Imagine Penny's boyfriend Zack being able to discuss nuances of Theoretical Physics with Sheldon, but only within very narrow bounds. Change the subject, and Zack's lost.

I wouldn't call Zack a savant by any stretch of the imagination. Zack isn't even an idiot-savant. He doesn't have any discernible disability. To me he seems to be written as though his IQ may perhaps be just below average but within normal limits. He came up with the suggestion of using the giroscope design for a weapon. He made a living and eventually made money. Leonard I would say possibly, when he's older, given his high intelligence all round could become seen as a savant. He has the most potential for wisdom. Dr Koothrapolli Senior fits the description more nearly. Perhaps it's a British vs American vocabulary thing. 

Since they're going into a bar rather than a pub, let's go with the American version : a genius and a savant go into a bar and the bartender says, ' Hey guys, what can I get you ?' The genius says, 'Can we get two beers, please ?' and the savant says, 'Weren't you listening ? We tell him what we want and he'll get it.'

• Haha 1

Here in the UK, there's a TV show called Virgin Diaries.

I haven't seen it, but I can imagine what it's like - "No entries this month."

When I was at school, my Gym teacher used to try to motivate us, with sayings like "There's no I in team."

How would he know? If he could spell, he wouldn't be a Gym teacher.

• Haha 2

Money saving tip - Don't buy Christmas presents for your elderly relatives, too soon.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

I've just installed a new voice on my Satnav. It's George Michael.

It said "You haven't reached your destination, but hurl yourself out of the car anyway."

It's funny how Americans and Brits have different words for the same thing.

For instance, Americans say "gas", and we Brits say "sorry about that" :blush:

Likewise, Americans say "ladybug", and we Brits say "chlamydia".

• Haha 1