The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

Carol Ann Susi

A friend of mine in Texas had what she thought was a lingering flu and went to the doctor.  By the time the tests came back diagnosing her with Leiomyosarcoma (cancer of the smooth muscle); she was in a coma.  A week after that she was dead.  She was 38 and had 2 young kids.

From feeling a little off to dying in 2 weeks can happen with very aggressive cancers.

I have also seen it with a co-workers wife that had ovarian cancer and a friends father with pancreatic cancer.  

I doubt TPTB and even Susi herself could have predicted the swift devastation of certain cancers.

That's similar to what happened to my Aunt Eva.  She had had a persistent cough and kind of an ache in her back.  I believe she was first diagnosed with bronchitis.  By the time they figured out it was lung cancer, she had about a week or two to live.  I remember that it was a very short time from when she found out until she died.

I think I was maybe in middle school, so this was probably 1973 or so.  I remember my mom said that the doctor asked my aunt how long she'd been a smoker and she said, "Never."  Her ex-husband had been a smoker and she was a teacher and in those days the teachers would smoke in the teachers' lounge, so she was exposed to 2nd-hand smoke quite a bit.

Anyway, I think the articles have said that Carol was battling cancer, so she might have been holding her own for a while only to have the floor drop out under her in the last few days.

Such sad news.  Prayers to her family and friends.  Yes cancer is an unpredictable and as Sheldon said of gravity "a heartless b!tch".

My kid's father battled colon cancer.  We thought he beat it but it found a way to sneak back in.  

I was so shocked and saddened to read this!

Even though on TBBT viewers only heard her voice; she was beautiful and from the sounds of it a very sweet lady!  Ugh!!  So sad :(

Edited by Denise07

And even though this is slightly off topic, I believe it was David Spade that joined the cast of 8 Simple Rules following the death of John Ritter 11 years ago.

David Spade and James Garner both joined the cast.

Carol Ann with the cast (she is standing between Mayim and Melissa)

From The Russian Rocket Reaction (Season 5, Ep 5)

carolo_big_bang.jpg

I had also forgotten that Carol Ann introduced the cast and writers at Comic con 2011

• Like 8

Cancer is such a horrible and scary disease,  my condolences to The Big Bang Theory family, It couldn't have been easy to develop a character that is never seen, but Carol Ann Susi did it, Mrs Wolowitz was an unforgettable character and the relationship between her and Howard was comedy gold - RIP Carol Ann, you will be missed, but thanks for the laughter and the memories.

Edited by luke
  • Like 2

According to an article I just read, Carol had been diagnosed just a week and a half ago, and she deteriorated rapidly. Sad. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

According to an article I just read, Carol had been diagnosed just a week and a half ago, and she deteriorated rapidly. Sad. :(

Wow, that's pretty sudden. I hope everyone who loves Carol got the chance to say goodbye in such a short time span. When my father in law died two years ago, we got the call in the morning from the nursing home to rush in and he died that afternoon. But we got to spend time together as a family with him even though he didn't even know we were there. It made a difference. Except my wife's brother who lived overseas. It was hard for him when he arrived the next day. I just hope Carols family ( and the cast) had that chance to see her and reflect on what she meant to them. Death is hardest for those left behind to grieve. So sad a life ended so suddenly.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's kind of what happened to my aunt years ago.

And my grandmother, also.  She was 99 years old and my aunt who lived with her thought she looked a little jaundiced, so she took her in to the doctor.  I think my grandmother had just had a check-up shortly before.  Anyway, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and put into hospice that day, I believe.

My mom was visiting me and rushed home.  I had a concert weekend and went out there a few days later.  I think it was about 10 days from the time she was diagnosed until she passed away.

Yeah, that's kind of what happened to my aunt years ago.

And my grandmother, also.  She was 99 years old and my aunt who lived with her thought she looked a little jaundiced, so she took her in to the doctor.  I think my grandmother had just had a check-up shortly before.  Anyway, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and put into hospice that day, I believe.

My mom was visiting me and rushed home.  I had a concert weekend and went out there a few days later.  I think it was about 10 days from the time she was diagnosed until she passed away.

Yup, anything can bring you down quickly. Back in '92, my grandmother had been feeling ill for most of the day, and finally went to the ER, thinking that she may be coming down with pneumonia. Three hours later, she was dead of a dissecting aortic aneurysm (the same thing that took the lives of John Ritter and Lucille Ball). By the time they were able to identify the problem, it was too late; she was gone in minutes. At the time, her brothers and sisters were on "death watch" for a sister that was in Florida. Nobody was expecting my grandmother to pass away, and it was a complete shock to everyone.

A week and a half is extremely fast for cancer.  If there's a bright side, it's that at least she didn't suffer for too long.

Just as I thought.  :(  terrible.

With the unfortunate death of Carol Ann Susi, there are several different threads discussing it.  I have created this thread to consolidate the discussion.  

Thank you, Tensor.  That was very thoughtful of you, not to mention, very efficient, too.  Appreciate it.   :)

Carol Ann with the cast (she is standing between Mayim and Melissa)

From The Russian Rocket Reaction (Season 5, Ep 5)

carolo_big_bang.jpg

I had also forgotten that Carol Ann introduced the cast and writers at Comic con 2011

Thank you for posting these.  That is a wonderful, very special photo, and yes, now I remember her introducing the cast at the Comic Con.  I don't know how I could ever forget it.  So wonderful.

Simon will be on Craig Ferguson tonight, I'm hoping he mentions her.  

I was hoping he would, too, Tensor, but nothing.  I wonder how far ahead those late night talk shows are taped.  I know Conan tapes the same day but around 5 or 6 West Coast time.  I'm not sure when Craig tapes, but I thought for certain either he would bring up the subject or that Simon would say something.  It seems strange that they didn't, unless it was taped before her passing.

I'm sure they'll dedicate the episode to her.

And they did.  Very touching.  It was good that at the WB logo, the sound was silence, and then the dedication.  Very moving.

Thank you to you all who posted links to articles on here.  I have spent much of tonight trying to catch up on the reading of them.  I wanted to post to thank each one of you personally, but with a spotty internet connection and limited internet time, it's impossible.  At any rate, I appreciate it.   :)

Tweet from John Ross Bowie

Photo: Over the next few days, you’re gonna hear a lot about what a sweet, kind, funny woman Carol Ann Susi...

tumblr_newq89T8dD1r34971o1_1280.jpg

It was beautiful how each paid tribute to her in his or her own way.  It was a lovely tweet of John's as was Kunal's.  I loved Kaley, Mayim, Johnny, and Melissa's remembrances as well on their instagram accounts.  Very touching indeed.

RIP Carol, you will be missed.

As for Mrs Wolowitz, I personally think the best thing to do is write her out.

For one I never liked to see (or hear in this case) someone else play a character that has been portrayed by someone else for so long.

But more importantly, to me it is a sign of respect to Carol. That way she will always be Mrs Wolowitz for us.

So I think they will "kill her off" this season. Maybe not in the next few episodes that are going to be taped.

It will "solve"  the Stuart/Howard/Debbie fighting, but probably not in the way they wanted to.

I agree.  I can’t imagine them continuing with another actress playing the character, even if it is off screen.  It will make for a very sad episode though if they do decide to go that route.  

I'm watching TBBT on tbs right now and mrs Wolowitz was just on (Pancake Batter).

:(

I was watching that one that night and thinking of her, too.  Plus, I was re-watching the prom episode from last week, and there she was again.  I can’t imagine the show without her presence.  I use to picture her off camera/off screen doing her lines in that voice, and I imagined her trying hard not to crack up while she did them.  What an amazing, talented actress!  It's just heart-breaking that she's gone.

Sorry, everybody, for all the many replies I piled on one after another in this thread, but I've had three days worth of your posts to catch up on reading, and there were just too many thoughts I felt compelled to share in response to all the many moving tributes paid here and elsewhere to Carol Ann.

Edited by Deb Ranquist
  • Like 1

Completely lost it at this part: 

She was too ill to come into the studio to record her lines for the episode that was to be her last. She recorded them at the hospital and sent them in along with a promise that she would be back at work soon — "bettah than evah."

Carol Ann Susi — forever of Brooklyn, New York — died early Tuesday morning. She was 62.

Damn you, Bill. Making me cry in public.

Edited by Denyy
  • Like 1

Completely lost it at this part: 

Damn you, Bill. Making me cry in public.

Sort of reminds me of that old saying "the show must go on", seems Carol felt the same way when she recorded her lines in the hospital. Wow, just wow.l

• Like 3