810 The Champagne Reflection (November 20)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

This may happen in other episodes but time really confused me in this episode. While the guys were at work looking over Roger Abbot's belongings, Shamy was doing FWF and Penny/Bernadette were at a work party. Was this all during the day or night? If this was during the day why wasn't Sheldon and Amy at work? If this was at night why were the guys at work? If P/B's work party at night why weren't Leonard and Howard there? How did Sheldon get to Levar Burton's house?

Those questions are way to logical... :)

I really liked this episode. The FWF segment was hilarious!! Jim and Mayim really nailed it! Their comedic timing was perfect. One of the reasons I love the Shamy. And when did Johnny get so buff!! Hello!

• Like 3

This may happen in other episodes but time really confused me in this episode. While the guys were at work looking over Roger Abbot's belongings, Shamy was doing FWF and Penny/Bernadette were at a work party. Was this all during the day or night? If this was during the day why wasn't Sheldon and Amy at work? If this was at night why were the guys at work? If P/B's work party at night why weren't Leonard and Howard there? How did Sheldon get to Levar Burton's house?

The word "Saturday" seems to be floating to the top of my brain... ;)

• Like 2

Was Sheldon in blackface during the Black History Month segment of "Fun with Flags"? Because why else would LeVar Burton look at the video and say, "Oh hell no"? Ugh. It was funny in a previous episode when Sheldon said "Leonard said it was wildly racist" (air quotes) without elaborating. I can definitely appreciate non-politically correct humor, but it better be damn funny. That part and the swastika line at the end fell flat for me. 

• Like 1

The word "Saturday" seems to be floating to the top of my brain... ;)

I guess that's possible. That works for P/B and Shamy but it seems strange that the guys were there all day on Saturday cleaning Abbott's office and then went to visit the other physics guy at his apartment.

Enjoyed the episode overall. Loved the FWF stuff--so good to see The Shamy in all their quirky, bantering glory. Amy screaming "I pressed it!" had me in stitches. Loved Jim in the Betsy Ross dress. Is there ANY clothing that man does not look good in?

The Penny/Bernie storyline, while less funny, was also strong and addressed some character development for both: Penny's work success and Bernie's mean streak. I liked that Penny raised the issue to Bernie. It was IC--she's stood up to bullies before--and tactfully done.

The boys' storyline was the weakest IMO. I have a hard time when plot lines are just radically unbelievable--and I'm pretty darn generous in interpretation! 230-odd FWF episodes? Sure, could exist. Howard going into space? Seems unlikely, but I can run with it. Penny, sans college degree, a pharma sales rep? Pretty unlikely, but sometimes life is about who you know, so ok. But the boys clearing out the office of a dead prof they didn't know??? Just no. That's a task that falls to the professor's family, friends, work colleagues/head of dept or janitorial staff. That three CalTech researchers who didn't know the man would have this in their job description kind of ruined the plot line for me.

I did enjoy Johnny in a t-shirt though. Let's hope he and Jim are working out because we are gonna get some Lenny or Shamy bedroom scenes later this year. Heck, given the lack of affection on the show lately, I'd take a Shelnard scene. ;)

• Like 2

I guess that's possible. That works for P/B and Shamy but it seems strange that the guys were there all day on Saturday cleaning Abbott's office and then went to visit the other physics guy at his apartment.

Not to me, actually.  They could have volunteered to do it (or Leonard did and enlisted Raj and Howard's help) since they had nothing going on that day, what with Shamy involved with FWF and Pennydette attending the company party.  Not hard to believe at all, IMO.

• Like 3

Not to me, actually.  They could have volunteered to do it (or Leonard did and enlisted Raj and Howard's help) since they had nothing going on that day, what with Shamy involved with FWF and Pennydette attending the company party.  Not hard to believe at all, IMO.

Yes this is definitely not part of their jobs. They must have been doing it as a favor to someone or because Leonard did not think it would be fitting if the facilities department to just got rid of all the stuff without considering if there might not be things of historical value. Given the bit about the numbers in the book I am betting it was the latter.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the episode overall. Loved the FWF stuff--so good to see The Shamy in all their quirky, bantering glory. Amy screaming "I pressed it!" had me in stitches. Loved Jim in the Betsy Ross dress. Is there ANY clothing that man does not look good in?

The Penny/Bernie storyline, while less funny, was also strong and addressed some character development for both: Penny's work success and Bernie's mean streak. I liked that Penny raised the issue to Bernie. It was IC--she's stood up to bullies before--and tactfully done.

The boys' storyline was the weakest IMO. I have a hard time when plot lines are just radically unbelievable--and I'm pretty darn generous in interpretation! 230-odd FWF episodes? Sure, could exist. Howard going into space? Seems unlikely, but I can run with it. Penny, sans college degree, a pharma sales rep? Pretty unlikely, but sometimes life is about who you know, so ok. But the boys clearing out the office of a dead prof they didn't know??? Just no. That's a task that falls to the professor's family, friends, work colleagues/head of dept or janitorial staff. That three CalTech researchers who didn't know the man would have this in their job description kind of ruined the plot line for me.

I did enjoy Johnny in a t-shirt though. Let's hope he and Jim are working out because we are gonna get some Lenny or Shamy bedroom scenes later this year. Heck, given the lack of affection on the show lately, I'd take a Shelnard scene. ;)

Irere regularly watches the show. Seems highly unlikely lol

Good episode. Not that funny but not bad :)

Edited by ATM

Well actually that was probably a lot more believable than other things you have mentioned. Of course it would not be a job requirement. Leonard seemed to be in a philosophical head-space. I imagine he might have thought something of this mans life work should be preserved. I don't think this was a weak storyline at all it just was not a funny one. It was serious. I don't mind them getting serious on occasion. Particularly given that a cast member has died.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Really loved the FWF segments and I'm happy to hear that Penny is doing so well in her job!  :icon_redface:  :icon_redface:  :icon_redface:

Seeing that Penny and Dan get along so well made me happy :)

the fwf are great and did sheldon give amy credit

for doing the show.

penny is good at her job, the third best seller.

making dan very happy. nice to see the talk

with bernie.

l/h/r are great together. will leonard go after tenure

now, 50 years of work did not show any think four it.

• Like 1

Seeing that Penny and Dan get along so well made me happy :)

But she did get a little jab in. Not sure of the exact quote, but "and there's my boss who didn't want to hire me..."

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Edited by hokie3457

But she did get a little jab in. Not sure of the exact quote, but "and there's my boss who didn't want to hire me..."

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

That's not bothering me. He did hire her after all and the episode speaks for itself. I mean, she's his rookie of the year already :D

I think that each of the story lines had their merits and served a purpose in their own way.

Of course, I loved the FWF stuff.  That's always been Sheldon's hobby and since he has a warped sense of what's important and how to express it, and what people might want or like, I think that it all makes sense--even the Black History segment and the swastika line.  It's not like he was proposing a return to slavery or rooting for the Nazis, you know.  He was trying to represent certain historical things drawing on the resources of his overly literal way of thinking and his limited resources when it comes to people to help him with these segments.  He's lucky he's been able to rope a few others in for the occasional segment.

At any rate, like I said, it's not as if he's doing these things with any sense of guile.  Although he's not a child, he is in many ways socially naive and very absolute.  So, his idea for Black History month, birthed in his feverish imagination, is a portrayal of GWC.  Since he doesn't have anyone to draw on but himself for that portrayal, it makes sense that he would don blackface, which he would not see as racist, but see as a literal interpretation of GWC.  Likewise, with the thought to do a segment on the flags of Germany, he would address the Nazi flag, and just like he had Amy dress as a pretzel for a segment on Bavaria, he wants a visual aid, so...

And I think Burton's reaction helps to underscore the moments as absurd, not disrespectful.  Just like he was clueless about giving the Roots videos to Mrs. Davis--making the simple equation that a black person would enjoy a video about slavery--he doesn't get the whole cultural sensitivity/political incorrectness of it all.

And can I say that I love that in his Betsy Ross portrayal, he actually put a stitch in that flag?!  Somehow that tiny detail totally cracked me up.

As for Penny and Bernie, I do think that it was appropriate for them to address Bernie's harshness and for Penny to be the one to talk to her about it.  I haven't been bothered by Bernie and her sharp tongue, but I can see where they decided to make an issue of it.  She does seem less patient in some ways that she was some time ago, but I think that seems to be the pattern that the writers fall into with some of the characters--setting up some aspect of their personality and then letting it get exaggerated a little too much.

I do think that the Wheelchair Cathey line was kind of harsh, and Bernie is normally more sensitive than that, IMO, but it could also be seen as part of maybe a sense of impatience or whatever with the people around her.  And though she appreciates the free coffee and the private bathroom, it doesn't seem that she had asked for or demanded these things.  Maybe if she is seen as harsh or mean, the person who gets her coffee is afraid to ask her for the money, and the others are afraid to use the same bathroom as her, so they avoid it, and all this makes her believe that the coffee is free and the bathroom are private.

I do think that her tears were genuine at first.  I think she was really hurt to realize what the others really thought of her.  However, it was Dan that tried to make her feel better by offering her the coffeemaker or espresso machine or whatever.  She didn't start crying in order to ask for it.  But when he did offer her the coffee machine, she realized that he was making concessions.  And of course, the line about the private bathroom was the punchline to the scene.

I think that Penny does usually have the best kind of objective ear kind of ability to play "Dutch Uncle" to each of the characters when needed.  And of course, some of the others have played that role when Penny is the one off-balance.

As for the guys, their story line was definitely more low-key, but still had its funny moments.  I do wonder if Saltzberg was drawing on his own experiences with colleagues for that story idea.  It wasn't as sharply funny, but I don't think it was supposed to be a funny subject.  I like that Leonard seemed interested in trying to find something of meaning in the guy's life's work.

And I loved that Sheldon popped the cork on the bottle... :p

"Fwag.  Not Fwag"

• Like 4

Well actually that was probably a lot more believable than other things you have mentioned. Of course it would not be a job requirement. Leonard seemed to be in a philosophical head-space. I imagine he might have thought something of this mans life work should be preserved. I don't think this was a weak storyline at all it just was not a funny one. It was serious. I don't mind them getting serious on occasion. Particularly given that a cast member has died.

My views are based on personal experience. The dept I did my grad work in has had 4 prof deaths over 20-odd years. Not once was an office cleared by other university profs/researchers who didn't know him/her.

I also can't imagine the boys not having something better to do with a Saturday. And Howard who needs a chore chart at home volunteering his time to clean an office? Sorry--just not buying it.

But I'm good agreeing to disagree.

My views are based on personal experience. The dept I did my grad work in has had 4 prof deaths over 20-odd years. Not once was an office cleared by other university profs/researchers who didn't know him/her.

I also can't imagine the boys not having something better to do with a Saturday. And Howard who needs a chore chart at home volunteering his time to clean an office? Sorry--just not buying it.

But I'm good agreeing to disagree.

Maybe with Jim and Johnny's new guns they could have Sheldon and Leonard arm wrestle, my moneys on Sheldon!

• Like 3

FWF was charming. Maym and Jim were just delightful.

The office cleaning was little contrived, but it was nice to see the boys working together.

Bernadette and Penny seemed like it was written by drunk people, but Stephen Root was there, so yay! It didn't really address Bernadette's issues, except she now knows people have noticed. drat.

My problem. Penny has barely been a sales rep for a month and she is number 3 in the company? Suspension of disbelief in process. If their sales has been waiting for Penny all these years to finally pick up, I am surprised they are still in business. I'd believe she's at the top of her sales class. This is a sales job. She's not even at the point where they pay you your first commission. That's at the end of the first quarter. Right now, she's probably living on her draw.

What I am talking about. I am sure Penny gets her commission paid daily and it's half of her sales amount.

My problem. Penny has barely been a sales rep for a month and she is number 3 in the company? Suspension of disbelief in process. If their sales has been waiting for Penny all these years to finally pick up, I am surprised they are still in business. I'd believe she's at the top of her sales class. This is a sales job. She's not even at the point where they pay you your first commission. That's at the end of the first quarter. Right now, she's probably living on her draw.

I know, but apparently good looks and flirting are more important in that company than actual knowledge.

Guess that's why it's a TV show.

• Like 1

I know, but apparently good looks and flirting are more important in that company than actual knowledge.

Guess that's why it's a TV show.

Just as Sheldon would have been fired for pulling out a STD book to show his employee and mentioning to HR woman it must be that time of the month for her. Apparently you can have an IQ of 287 without a brain.
  • Like 1

Just as Sheldon would have been fired for pulling out a STD book to show his employee and mentioning to HR woman it must be that time of the month for her. Apparently you can have an IQ of 287 without a brain.

What has Sheldon got do with this?

What has Sheldon got do with this?

Just pointing out that you think it is unbelievable that Penny has a sales job. I'm just saying that Sheldon's lack of common sense in regards to etiquette would have cost him his job. Of course his mother could have gotten his job back like she did in season 1. So what's more unbelievable?
  • Like 1