The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

810 The Champagne Reflection (November 20)

Your Episode Rating  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

And Howard would never have gone to space...etc., etc., etc..

Why are some people determined to suck the fun out of everything?

It all started in post #71. I guess you had to wait for a non Shamy fan to comment.
  • Like 2

And can I say that I love that in his Betsy Ross portrayal, he actually put a stitch in that flag?!  Somehow that tiny detail totally cracked me up.

We actually know that Sheldon sews from a previous episode:

Still cracks me up too, though. :laugh:

Edited by BespectacledBrunette

It all started in post #71. I guess you had to wait for a non Shamy fan to comment.

No, I just got back to the thread and read the whole exchange.

I don't care who says it, it's still eye-roll inducing.

• Like 1

I know, but apparently good looks and flirting are more important in that company than actual knowledge.

Guess that's why it's a TV show.

But it's not just flirting is it? Penny has real charisma and warmth. And underneath the lack of education is a street smart girl who is not as stupid as people like to think (pretty doesn't equal stupid!). Given the right start, she could have gone far and now she has another chance.

• Like 8

Well actually that was probably a lot more believable than other things you have mentioned. Of course it would not be a job requirement. Leonard seemed to be in a philosophical head-space. I imagine he might have thought something of this mans life work should be preserved. I don't think this was a weak storyline at all it just was not a funny one. It was serious. I don't mind them getting serious on occasion. Particularly given that a cast member has died.

My views are based on personal experience. The dept I did my grad work in has had 4 prof deaths over 20-odd years. Not once was an office cleared by other university profs/researchers who didn't know him/her.

I also can't imagine the boys not having something better to do with a Saturday. And Howard who needs a chore chart at home volunteering his time to clean an office? Sorry--just not buying it.

But I'm good agreeing to disagree.

We can do that but I actually was just saying the other things you meantioned were less likely rather than more likely (things like Howard going to the International Space Station).

The episode actually did not offer an explination for why Leonard and friends were doing it.

They were not actually cleaning they were just boxing some stuff up and possibly salvaging a few things.

Finally the implication is this guy had no friends or family able to box his stuff up. Either they did not exist, lived too far away, did not care or were not well. What ever the circumstance it was sad and for some reason Leonard cared. I assume Howard and Raj wanted to hang with Leonard and they did not care all that much what they were doing.

What is really unlikely is that they would find a book with a bunch of numbers with no expliation and that it would turn out to be a diary of callories. What scientest would keep a books of numbers with no descriptions? ...but that's not so important.

• Like 3

On Sheldon's George Washington Carver/ Raceism bit, from LaVar's reaction I'd guess that Sheldon was in blackface. That's the only way I can see his 'Hell No!' coming that fast.

Pleased Penny powered past pundits postulating poor plausibility plus predicting poorer performance per pushing pharmaceuticals. Phwoar.

How (al)literate of you.

I think Penny would be great in Sales because of her personality and likability. Yes, she is attractive but she's very friendly and approachable. Plus I'm certain she takes this job very seriously and wants to do her best. I'm glad she's doing so well because it's nice to see her blossoming in her career. It's very possible for a rookie sales person to be a top performer in a very short period of time. Some people are just naturals.

Also, I work in HR and you would be surprised the crazy things people do or say at work and don't get fired.

• Like 4

What is really unlikely is that they would find a book with a bunch of numbers with no expliation and that it would turn out to be a diary of callories. What scientest would keep a books of numbers with no descriptions?

Knock-knock-knock, who knows... knock-knock-knock, who knows... knock-knock-knock, who knows...

• Like 1

Chainy .. do you know what a sales person really does ... sell product ...

Penny can do this she has the type of personality that engages people can TALK to them and convince them to SAY YES ...

Don't short change her ... SHE can do this and was give kudos from her boss .... 3rd in sales and NEW to the JOB .... 

it appears she has found her calling .

e

ALSO she is not as stupid as you make her out to be .... just because she is beautiful doesn't make her stupid ...

Granted she is NOT a genius but she did learn about the products she is selling ...

she did study while in Vegas for the test so that the company administered that would allow her SELL their product ....

Edited by fixitmr
  • Like 3

If people are talking about realism (which is a rabbit hole), how about the implication that Penny and Bernie work in close proximity?  Apparently it's close enough that Penny contributes to the swear jar for Bernadette.  However, Bernie is in research & development and Penny is in sales, which would almost certainly be in different parts of the company, both organizationally and physically.

• Like 4

Did anyone else notice that Amy was once again mouthing the words Sheldon said during FWF?

She also did that the first time, at least for a few lines.

I love things like that.

Does anyone thinks it's odd that penny made number 3 in her first year as drug rep.? Is she selling stuff because she good or because she young and hot and may turn the headlights on when needed?

Does anyone know a drug rep that only have a high school degree? I don't.

Edited by gwhh

Does anyone thinks it's odd that penny made number 3 in her first year as drug rep.?

Actually, it's more like her first month. This is mid November. She got the job at the end of September, then had a few weeks of training.

Is she selling stuff because she good or because she young and hot and may turn the headlights on when needed?

Can't be because she's young and hot. She lost all her hotness when she cut her hair, and started dressing conservatively. That is, if you believe half of what the internet says.

• Like 3

Does anyone thinks it's odd that penny made number 3 in her first year as drug rep.? Is she selling stuff because she good or because she young and hot and may turn the headlights on when needed?

Does anyone know a drug rep that only have a high school degree? I don't.

Being cute and flirty is one thing. Knowing about the products you sell is the other thing. Penny has both and I don't know why you're surprised. She's putting a lot of effort into this job after all. So, to put it in a way you'll understand: Yes, she is good, but also "young and hot and may turn the headlights on when needed".

Why would you need more than a high school degree for this job?

Edited by FileXxX

Being cute and flirty is one thing. Knowing about the products you sell is the other thing. Penny has both and I don't know why you're surprised. She's putting a lot of effort into this job after all. So, to put it in a way you'll understand: Yes, she is good, but also "young and hot and may turn the headlights on when needed".

Why would you need more than a high school degree for this job?

As a wild guess, because you want MD's to listen to you and trust you.

In real life some people with advanced degrees will stop listening if they know you have no post secondary at all. I concede the doctor won't have a potato clock on his desk but I think Penny's lack of education would be apparent if the doctor were to ask her any questions.

• Like 2

As a wild guess, because you want MD's to listen to you and trust you.

In real life some people with advanced degrees will stop listening if they know you have no post secondary at all. I concede the doctor won't have a potato clock on his desk but I think Penny's lack of education would be apparent if the doctor were to ask her any questions.

People do not have to have degrees to learn new things or skills, doesn't make you dumb. There are a lot of less intelligent people without degrees who are very good at what they do by studing online or at home or just hobbies that becomes a paid job. As long as they understands what their job expectations are, they can reach high expectations. I know a lot of people with degrees who are so boring MDS will stop listening to them as well. Don't get your point.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by Tonstar17

Finally watched it. It was very good all the way through. I'm not a big fan of FWF but I liked it this time, probably cuz it was mostly fast cuts and sight gags. I thought the Penny/Bernie stuff was the best, but Amy yelling about pressing record was great too. I didn't expect that level of frustration and it came off as good as her  "Please. Pass. The Butter!"

People do not have to have degrees to learn new things or skills, doesn't make you dumb. There are a lot of less intelligent people without degrees who are very good at what they do by studing online or at home or just hobbies that becomes a paid job. As long as they understands what their job expectations are, they can reach high expectations. I know a lot of people with degrees who are so boring MDS will stop listening to them as well. Don't get your point.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Everything you are saying may be true. My points were

1. Many people with advanced degrees would not listen to a sales person without any post secondary regardless if that actually makes sense.
  2. For seven seasons Penny has shown a remarkable inability to understand anything scientific.
    1. The Potato clock (Part of Pro Proton's science presentation for kids)
    2. Amy's description of what Leonard does...

So can you really believe that after a few weeks of training that Penny would gain enough understanding of pharmaceuticals to sell them to doctors? What happens if the doctor asks questions about regarding the effectiveness of the drug or the protocols used in the study that showed it was effective?

Penny: Not really clear on what he does.

Bernadette: He’s an experimental physicist.

Penny: Yeah, I’m not really clear on what that means.

Amy: He takes hypotheses and designs protocols to determine their accuracy.

Penny: Yeah, you’re really just making it worse.