The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

811 The Clean Room Infiltration (December 11)

Your Episode Ratings  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I adore most of Amys quirky outfits!

The yellow monstrosity she wore in focus I hope she never wears again

Welllll its all about opinions of course and on this occasion I don't agree

I agree

It's ruined the entire episode for me, I can tell you that.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

I know, right. It's more "The Slightly Cleaner than Howard's Lab Room Infiltration".

Also I thought the "Wish you were Jewish?" line was deeply funny.

• Like 3

Ummm, did anyone notice that the ceiling tiles in the "clean room" were standard office grade and not what you'd expect for that application. Those puppies drop dust. A major fail that should be called out. Hehehe.

Nope, but I did notice that Raj's dad was still wearing what appeared to be his wedding band. I thought it odd given that they are at the point of talking to divorce lawyers.

• Like 1

Lenny fans = big bang theory fans. So technically chrismo is right ;). For instance I find Shamy to be stagnent and stilted. And Lenny more interesting. But as a fan of the show I still appreciate them, like I said each to its own.

Normally this statement might bother me a little bit, but I'm still so happy about the episode. Penny holding Leonard's arm while both of them smiling at the gift-giving scene was so sweet. 

• Like 2

Normally this statement might bother me a little bit, but I'm still so happy about the episode. Penny holding Leonard's arm while both of them smiling at the gift-giving scene was so sweet. 

What exactly about it bothered you? Sorry if it did not my intention. I was just trying to say, that everyone has different preferences. Mine has always been Leonard and Penny when it comes to the romantic dynamics on the show since the pilot. 

What exactly about it bothered you? Sorry if it did not my intention. I was just trying to say, that everyone has different preferences. Mine has always been Leonard and Penny when it comes to the romantic dynamics on the show since the pilot. 

As I said, it did not bother me because I'm so happy with both relationships right now, and I understand that you prefer Lenny. If I didn't feel so good, it would bother me that you said Lenny fans = big bang theory fans, it seemed like you dismissed Shamy fans, but you might have meant Lenny fans are a subset of BBT fans. 

Again, I explained it because you asked, I didn't really have problems with it. 

... but you might have meant Lenny fans are a subset of BBT fans.

Yep, that was it Jiab.

I'm so late on commenting on this episode due to work and real life, but I really loved it. The highlights for me are as follows:

In the opening, Raj's, "You guys suck!" He always tries so hard to be the group's entertainer and yet consistently misses the mark with the gang.

Sheldon's Tiajuana sex show. It was probably a quick peck, but of course Sheldon was scandalized since it was in public.

The bird grabbing the slim jim from Leonard's hand. Maybe Howard had a decent idea after all?

Penny had so many great lines in this episode it was difficult to narrow it down to a few favorites. Her, "Wait, how much do you talk about Star Trek?" was hilarious. Her delivery and facial expressions were perfect.

Everything Sheldon said about Amy. I'm even okay with the cutting, "...small and worthless" remark. It didn't bother me because I've become accustomed to nearly all sweet moments being immediately followed by something comedic that may cut the sweetness with something bitter.

Again, Penny made me laugh with, "It certainly doesn't feel like it, does it?" after Amy gleefully shouts, "YOU WON!"

My absolutely favorite moment was when Santa told Sheldon that he thought dating him was punishment enough for Amy, to which Sheldon replied, "There's an argument for that, but I want to be sure." The writers could have written many responses for Sheldon to Santa, but they gave him that particular line. Is he beginning to realize that he is damn lucky to have Amy, and that dating him is not always so easy for her? I hope so, I adore Amy and want good things for her. Anyway, Santa's line was hilarious, and Sheldon's was somewhat self aware.

I loved Penny saving the day with her solution of simply erasing the names on the sign-in sheet. She's been the voice of reason and common sense before and I always enjoy seeing her intelligence on display.

Finally, I liked how the episode ending book-ended Raj's "You guy's suck" with "If you people think this is better than Tom Hanksgiving, you're all crazy!" It just wrapped up the episode nicely for me.

• Like 6

I'm so late on commenting on this episode due to work and real life, but I really loved it. The highlights for me are as follows:

In the opening, Raj's, "You guys suck!" He always tries so hard to be the group's entertainer and yet consistently misses the mark with the gang.

Sheldon's Tiajuana sex show. It was probably a quick peck, but of course Sheldon was scandalized since it was in public.

The bird grabbing the slim jim from Leonard's hand. Maybe Howard had a decent idea after all?

Penny had so many great lines in this episode it was difficult to narrow it down to a few favorites. Her, "Wait, how much do you talk about Star Trek?" was hilarious. Her delivery and facial expressions were perfect.

Everything Sheldon said about Amy. I'm even okay with the cutting, "...small and worthless" remark. It didn't bother me because I've become accustomed to nearly all sweet moments being immediately followed by something comedic that may cut the sweetness with something bitter.

Again, Penny made me laugh with, "It certainly doesn't feel like it, does it?" after Amy gleefully shouts, "YOU WON!"

My absolutely favorite moment was when Santa told Sheldon that he thought dating him was punishment enough for Amy, to which Sheldon replied, "There's an argument for that, but I want to be sure." The writers could have written many responses for Sheldon to Santa, but they gave him that particular line. Is he beginning to realize that he is damn lucky to have Amy, and that dating him is not always so easy for her? I hope so, I adore Amy and want good things for her. Anyway, Santa's line was hilarious, and Sheldon's was somewhat self aware.

I loved Penny saving the day with her solution of simply erasing the names on the sign-in sheet. She's been the voice of reason and common sense before and I always enjoy seeing her intelligence on display.

Finally, I liked how the episode ending book-ended Raj's "You guy's suck" with "If you people think this is better than Tom Hanksgiving, you're all crazy!" It just wrapped up the episode nicely for me.

You just summed it up for me. Loved all of it but I'm with you the Santa line was hilarious. He knows how lucky he is, which is why he got her such a perfect gift. If he wanted to just make her feel guilty about getting a gift, the sweater would have worked. Nope not Sheldon, he had to make sure it was perfect. Then he got the perfect gift from her. Raj was terrific. He had some great lines, even with the boys.

So much greatness in this episode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

[snip]

[snip]

Rajamon I agree with most of what you said but not with the part I left in the quote. I know it is a sitcom so this may make sense by sitcom logic but

1. this was not even original in this series. It is much like Howard deciding to erase the data tapes when the mars rover got stuck.
  2. That was hardly common sense or reason. Clearly there is an issue with the design and protocols for that clean room. It should have been reported. I think Leonard had the voice of reason this time but Howard talked him out of doing the right thing (calling on help).

Since it is a comedy I did not bother to bring this up before you called it the voice of reason.

Rajamon I agree with most of what you said but not with the part I left in the quote. I know it is a sitcom so this may make sense by sitcom logic but

• this was not even original in this series. It is much like Howard deciding to erase the data tapes when the mars rover got stuck.
  • That was hardly common sense or reason. Clearly there is an issue with the design and protocols for that clean room. It should have been reported. I think Leonard had the voice of reason this time but Howard talked him out of doing the right thing (calling on help).
Since it is a comedy I did not bother to bring this up before you called it the voice of reason.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have either electronic access controls or at least Outllook resource bookings, but hey...

[*]That was hardly common sense or reason. Clearly there is an issue with the design and protocols for that clean room. It should have been reported. I think Leonard had the voice of reason this time but Howard talked him out of doing the right thing (calling on help).

Edited by Rajamon

The Big Bang Theory- Season 8 Episode 11- The Clean Room Infiltration- Review

Three excellent arcs with great punchlines are all well and good, but when they link nicely together and involve the whole cast as an ensemble, you’ve got a cracker of an episode on your hands. The Clean Room Infiltration is an example of such an episode, where everything works perfectly and plays out to good effect, with some brilliant flashes of wit inbetween.

The main arc, featuring Leonard and Howard (and later Raj) in the University Clean Room frantically trying to shoo a pigeon away from their experiments was a delight to watch. Howard and Leonard without Sheldon is a combination which we haven’t seen much of and it worked well here, with the two characters butting heads over Howard’s incompetence. The arc got even better when Raj arrived and the guys started to find different funny ways of getting the pigeon out of the room. It’s a genius idea from the writers to have the guys in this bizarre situation completely out of the blue and that’s usually when we see the characters at their hilarious best- in a crisis. My particular favourite moments were the usual derogatory quips about Howard (‘Who cares who’s smartest- Leonard, me, oh, it’s Christmas, let’s say Howard’) and Howard’s reaction to knocking the pigeon out with the fire extinguisher.

Amy’s Victorian Christmas party was very nicely done too, especially Dr.Koothrapali’s jokes about his wife (‘Did you know that when you fly transcontinental without your wife, you don’t pray for the plane to crash?’) and also Amy’s crazy parlour games. Such a typical Amy thing to do, and I loved Raj’s jealousy because the group are quite willing to partake in Amy’s weird festivities but not his own. I quite like the idea of a Tom-Hanksgiving, actually. Kaley Cuoco didn’t have a lot to do in this episode, but the few lines she exchanged with Dr.Koothrapali were amusing enough. Brian George had great line delivery as Dr.Koothrapali and it was great to finally have an episode with him in person. Amy’s ball of wool game was a highlight, as was the emotional Shamy moment at the end, and although the typical interruptions of these poignant moments are to be expected, I still laughed out loud at Raj reaching for a cookie and Sheldon slapping his hand. Characterisation was spot on in this episode, particularly here. I won’t say too much about the Shamy moment but I did enjoy it and felt their relationship took another step forward in this episode and Amy baking the cookies was a lovely touch.

Finally, the Sheldon and Bernadette arc was also fantastic. The storyline had the perfect opening with Bernadette singing ‘Here Comes Santa Claus’, although I don’t blame Sheldon for turning the music off- I think any normal person would have done the same! Sheldon’s idea of buying Amy a present was interesting but I felt that the mall scenes were a waste of time. As far as I’m concerned, the only purpose of the mall scenes was to fill some time and allow the writers to reach their ‘Sheldon is a bad boyfriend’ quota of jokes for the episode. We could have quite easily had Sheldon and Bernadette arrive at the party earlier and Sheldon having a surprise gift for Amy, which would have made the poignant moment even more poignant because the audience would have been surprised by Sheldon's romance just as much as Amy, but instead we have to have a few more jibes at Sheldon as a partner-we got at least two humdingers of jokes here. OK, we get it, Sheldon is bad to Amy! We don’t need to be told virtually every episode!

That said, Sheldon and Bernadette are a very interesting combination because they have been together alone so little and Bernadette has been shown to have very little patience for Sheldon’s antics at times. These two characters do work well together and do have comedy potential, so I expect to see these two together again in another ensemble episode soon.

The Clean Room Infiltration is yet another example of why ensemble episodes work the best- the characters are in different crises or interesting situations and it makes things more interesting than usual because we want to see how these new combinations of characters will get on. We know how Leonard and Sheldon interact because we’ve seen them at it for over 150 episodes; Howard and Bernie have also been explored a lot as a couple, as have Lenny. There’s nothing wrong with this but sometimes it’s nice to have a break from the usual character development and give the show a bit of a different direction for an episode by using an ensemble and mixing things up, and as ever, it works sensationally. It freshens and livens the show up more, and coupled with a few excellent lines and dozens of good ones all the way through, along with a touch of slapstick and a nice emotional moment at the end and you have yourself a superb episode of The Big Bang Theory. And that is exactly what this episode is.

Best Line: Raj: ‘Amy, good luck getting these guys excited about a dinner with a theme. I gave up when no one cared about my Tom Hanks-Giving’

Performance of the Week: A tough one as I felt the whole cast was on top form in this episode, but I’m going to pick Simon Helberg because he convincingly portrayed several sides to Howard here, including his angry and argumentative side when challenging Leonard, and his emotional side when he thought that he had killed the pigeon. A tremendous performance- as I have said before, Simon is a genuinely superb actor whom the show are very lucky to have on board.

Score: 9/10.

Interesting that you thought that the mall scene showed Sheldon to be a bad boyfriend. I think this scene was one of, if not the first time, we see Sheldon outwardly show how much he loves Amy. His dreamy description of what Amy loves, what he loves about her and his confirmation of his love to Bernie, I thought was one of his sweetest moments ever.

• Like 1

I was at the taping of this episode so I was looking forward to seeing the finished product. I've detailed the experience of attending the taping in a previous post, so pop over there if you fancy a read. It was quite an experience.

It took a lot longer than expected for it to be shown here in the UK, what with E4 being as crap as they are, taking the series off the air for several weeks for no discernible reason so they can show Two Broke Girls instead. Do you anyone who actually likes Two Broke Girls? I don't. It's really, really bad. Loud, brash, deeply annoying.... Just shite, basically. I actually wrote an email of complaint to E4, and their response was that they'd taken BBT off the air "to comply with the US broadcast", which was meaningless nonsense. I said so in my reply, but they never got back to me. Ah well. That's 'youth' broadcasters for you. But I digress.

It's a great episode and hangs together really well, the ensemble scenes mixing nicely with the two/three handers - this struck me at the taping, and it was interesting to see on the night how the phone call between Penny at Amy's apartment and Leonard at the lab was actually done 'live', so to speak. Also how a couple of lab scenes were pre-recorded for obvious reasons - marshalling a live pigeon at a taping would have presented all sorts of problems, for instance.

I was puzzled to see how a couple of really great gags were cut too. There was one from the cold open where Raj scolds the gang for talking about comic books after he's been talking about his parents' divorce. But the big one, which got huge laughs on the night (and they did three takes of it, if memory serves), involved Raj's dad.

At Amy's apartment, Raj's dad laments the demise of his marriage and, after Amy tells him about Emily, talks about how for years he and his wife thought Raj would never settle down with a woman and had thought he might be gay. Amy lets it slip about the night Raj spent with Penny (who is mortified at this coming out) a few years previously, at which Raj's dad takes out his phone, calls his wife and says, "Look, I know you and I hate each other right now, but you'll never guess who our son did!"

This got such a massive laugh on the night, and I was surprised it didn't make to the final edit. Perhaps it was cut for timing purposes, but it's a shame it's not in there.

There are a couple of other bits that didn't make the final edit, but I guess that's the way with every episode - cuts have to be made here and there in order to make the running time. I'm sure other members have examples of jokes that went down well at a taping not making the final cut.

Still, it's a great episode. A slight break from the more usual format, and the gift-giving scene was really quite touching. And nailed in a single take too.

Interesting that you thought that the mall scene showed Sheldon to be a bad boyfriend. I think this scene was one of, if not the first time, we see Sheldon outwardly show how much he loves Amy. His dreamy description of what Amy loves, what he loves about her and his confirmation of his love to Bernie, I thought was one of his sweetest moments ever.

I agree that it was a sweet moment, but it was inconsequential to the plot in my opinion and we had our sweet Shamy moment when Sheldon and Amy exchanged gifts towards the end of the episode, with Sheldon's recorded voice message in the photo and Amy baking the sentimental Christmas cookies for Sheldon. Sheldon's mall speech did show what he loves about Amy but this was really only used as a setup for another 'Sheldon is a bad boyfriend' joke. Why most the show finish almost every poignant moment with a punch line which either spoils or ridicules the moment entirely, or just detracts from it in some other way?

• Like 1

I agree that it was a sweet moment, but it was inconsequential to the plot in my opinion and we had our sweet Shamy moment when Sheldon and Amy exchanged gifts towards the end of the episode, with Sheldon's recorded voice message in the photo and Amy baking the sentimental Christmas cookies for Sheldon. Sheldon's mall speech did show what he loves about Amy but this was really only used as a setup for another 'Sheldon is a bad boyfriend' joke. Why most the show finish almost every poignant moment with a punch line which either spoils or ridicules the moment entirely, or just detracts from it in some other way?

I loved thAt scene until the punchline too. I didn't understand why that had to use that particular line.

They could have still made it funny with some other words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was at the taping of this episode so I was looking forward to seeing the finished product. I've detailed the experience of attending the taping in a previous post, so pop over there if you fancy a read. It was quite an experience.

It took a lot longer than expected for it to be shown here in the UK, what with E4 being as crap as they are, taking the series off the air for several weeks for no discernible reason so they can show Two Broke Girls instead. Do you anyone who actually likes Two Broke Girls? I don't. It's really, really bad. Loud, brash, deeply annoying.... Just shite, basically. I actually wrote an email of complaint to E4, and their response was that they'd taken BBT off the air "to comply with the US broadcast", which was meaningless nonsense. I said so in my reply, but they never got back to me. Ah well. That's 'youth' broadcasters for you. But I digress.

It's a great episode and hangs together really well, the ensemble scenes mixing nicely with the two/three handers - this struck me at the taping, and it was interesting to see on the night how the phone call between Penny at Amy's apartment and Leonard at the lab was actually done 'live', so to speak. Also how a couple of lab scenes were pre-recorded for obvious reasons - marshalling a live pigeon at a taping would have presented all sorts of problems, for instance.

I was puzzled to see how a couple of really great gags were cut too. There was one from the cold open where Raj scolds the gang for talking about comic books after he's been talking about his parents' divorce. But the big one, which got huge laughs on the night (and they did three takes of it, if memory serves), involved Raj's dad.

At Amy's apartment, Raj's dad laments the demise of his marriage and, after Amy tells him about Emily, talks about how for years he and his wife thought Raj would never settle down with a woman and had thought he might be gay. Amy lets it slip about the night Raj spent with Penny (who is mortified at this coming out) a few years previously, at which Raj's dad takes out his phone, calls his wife and says, "Look, I know you and I hate each other right now, but you'll never guess who our son did!"

This got such a massive laugh on the night, and I was surprised it didn't make to the final edit. Perhaps it was cut for timing purposes, but it's a shame it's not in there.

There are a couple of other bits that didn't make the final edit, but I guess that's the way with every episode - cuts have to be made here and there in order to make the running time. I'm sure other members have examples of jokes that went down well at a taping not making the final cut.

Still, it's a great episode. A slight break from the more usual format, and the gift-giving scene was really quite touching. And nailed in a single take too.

TBBT wasn't taken off the air for two months in the UK to show Two Broke Girls. Two Broke Girls just happened to be the show which replaced it whilst it was on it's hiatus. E4 have more than enough primetime slots to accommodate both Two Broke Girls and TBBT, which is what they are doing now, along with Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Marry Me. Two Broke Girls and TBBT are now both showing new episodes on Thursday nights at 8pm and 8.30pm respectively, so there are clearly no problems with E4 showing both in one evening. I agree that TBG is bad but it wasn't the reason TBBT was taken off the air.

The reason why E4 put the show on hiatus was because they had to comply with the US broadcast. In other words, they grouped all the one-week and two-week breaks TBBT has in the US together into a two-month block, which means that they can now show the remaining 14 episodes in the season every week from now on. Wouldn't you rather have one long hiatus where you can catch up on other comedies than several shorter ones? I know I would.

E4 get a lot of stick but at the end of the day they are at the mercy of US broadcasters and their own hiatuses for basketball tournaments, Christmas etc whether they like it or not. It makes perfect sense to group the hiatuses together and show something different for those eight weeks rather than mess all the fans around by showing TBBT every now and then when a new episode becomes available. They're actually doing it for your benefit as a fan so that you are less likely to miss the show and can enjoy it every week for the next four months without any interruptions.

It isn't 'meaningless nonsense', it's common sense.

[snip] ...they can now show the remaining 14 episodes in the season every week from now on. Wouldn't you rather have one long hiatus where you can catch up on other comedies than several shorter ones? I know I would.

[snip]

Well no, not at all.

If I had a choice I'd rather have it all nicely spaced out without extra long breaks but it is what it is.

Apart from TBBT and the news I watch mostly watch stuff on netflix when it fits my fancy or the occasional documentary (which CBC often has on line so if I miss it I can still watch it). Actually am more likely to watch a rerun of TBBT or Everyone Loves Raymond than any of the new comedies on TV apart from TBBT.

Actually am more likely to watch a rerun of TBBT or Everyone Loves Raymond than any of the new comedies on TV apart from TBBT.

Most times, when I'm not on the net, and am not at work, or out of the house, I'm watching TBBT episodes from my box sets.

Well no, not at all.

If I had a choice I'd rather have it all nicely spaced out without extra long breaks but it is what it is.

Apart from TBBT and the news I watch mostly watch stuff on netflix when it fits my fancy or the occasional documentary (which CBC often has on line so if I miss it I can still watch it). Actually am more likely to watch a rerun of TBBT or Everyone Loves Raymond than any of the new comedies on TV apart from TBBT.

Most times, when I'm not on the net, and am not at work, or out of the house, I'm watching TBBT episodes from my box sets.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but I enjoy a number of comedies still running at the moment- I watch TBBT, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Modern Family, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and The Middle. The hiatus here is a useful opportunity to catch up on any episodes of those other sitcoms which I have missed.