The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

811 The Clean Room Infiltration (December 11)

Your Episode Ratings  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Most times, when I'm not on the net, and am not at work, or out of the house, I'm watching TBBT episodes from my box sets.

High speed Internet has essentially killed the need for DVD's from my point of view. Finally cleared out the old VHS clutter and stopped the accumulation of DVD's.

High speed Internet has essentially killed the need for DVD's from my point of view. Finally cleared out the old VHS clutter and stopped the accumulation of DVD's.

Not me. No streaming is going to replace the high quality of discs, not to mention the fact that I can play a disc any time, on any device that has a DVD or Blu-ray player. Can't do that when the Internet goes down. ;) I also rip discs to stream them from my network or a portable hard drive, totally under my control and available at any time. Streaming has its advantages, but IMHO it'll never fully replace physical media.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

TBBT wasn't taken off the air for two months in the UK to show Two Broke Girls. Two Broke Girls just happened to be the show which replaced it whilst it was on it's hiatus. E4 have more than enough primetime slots to accommodate both Two Broke Girls and TBBT, which is what they are doing now, along with Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Marry Me. Two Broke Girls and TBBT are now both showing new episodes on Thursday nights at 8pm and 8.30pm respectively, so there are clearly no problems with E4 showing both in one evening. I agree that TBG is bad but it wasn't the reason TBBT was taken off the air.

The reason why E4 put the show on hiatus was because they had to comply with the US broadcast. In other words, they grouped all the one-week and two-week breaks TBBT has in the US together into a two-month block, which means that they can now show the remaining 14 episodes in the season every week from now on. Wouldn't you rather have one long hiatus where you can catch up on other comedies than several shorter ones? I know I would.

E4 get a lot of stick but at the end of the day they are at the mercy of US broadcasters and their own hiatuses for basketball tournaments, Christmas etc whether they like it or not. It makes perfect sense to group the hiatuses together and show something different for those eight weeks rather than mess all the fans around by showing TBBT every now and then when a new episode becomes available. They're actually doing it for your benefit as a fan so that you are less likely to miss the show and can enjoy it every week for the next four months without any interruptions.

It isn't 'meaningless nonsense', it's common sense.

Oh, don't mind me. I wasn't being entirely serious there. I just really can't stand TBG, and suspect its creation and continuing existence was designed to specifically annoy me. I've yet to come across a single person who actually likes it.

You see, if the person at E4 who responded to my email had explained it like you just have, it would have made a lot more sense. But the 'down with the kids' nature of their response irked me! The sentence about complying with the US broadcast was the only gesture towards explaining by TBBT had been taken off. I'm not really a fan of most of E4's output, with one or two notable exceptions, TBBT being one, Drifters being another. I'm nearly 44, after all, although I consider myself to be young at heart, but I find myself increasingly baffled by popular culture and TV aimed at young people. I mean, look at them, with their stupid trousers and ridiculous haircuts, and that upward cadence at the end of every sentence that makes it sound like a question even though it isn't. How dare they be all young and vibrant!

• Like 2

Oh, don't mind me. I wasn't being entirely serious there. I just really can't stand TBG, and suspect its creation and continuing existence was designed to specifically annoy me. I've yet to come across a single person who actually likes it.

You see, if the person at E4 who responded to my email had explained it like you just have, it would have made a lot more sense. But the 'down with the kids' nature of their response irked me! The sentence about complying with the US broadcast was the only gesture towards explaining by TBBT had been taken off. I'm not really a fan of most of E4's output, with one or two notable exceptions, TBBT being one, Drifters being another. I'm nearly 44, after all, although I consider myself to be young at heart, but I find myself increasingly baffled by popular culture and TV aimed at young people. I mean, look at them, with their stupid trousers and ridiculous haircuts, and that upward cadence at the end of every sentence that makes it sound like a question even though it isn't. How dare they be all young and vibrant!

I agree with you, TBG is just not funny. I don't find it offensively bad, just not funny, and for that reason I don't watch it. I think it was Martin Pollard on here who christened it Two Broke Jokes- I think that accurately describes how funny TBG is :icon_biggrin:.

I also agree about the 'down with the kids' nature of E4 in general. Their indents and laddish announcers just seem like they're trying too hard to be 'vibrant' or 'radical' at times, which irritates me. In this age of TV guides etc., we don't need some guy to talk over a picture of a caravan site with kids running around to tell us (whilst probably cracking a couple of corny gags) that it's TBBT on next!

I would definitely describe myself as in E4's target audience demographic yet I find the indents, announcers and style of the channel very irritating. As for the programming, whilst I enjoy TBBT and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I find that the rest leaves something to be desired. Marry Me, Two Broke Girls, Baby Daddy and How I Met Your Mother do not make me laugh in the slightest, and to be honest I found Drifters to be a bit cringeworthy at times.

That said, the scheduling of TBBT isn't their fault. It's just a shame they didn't explain that very well without trying to be 'down with the kids'.

• Like 1

I think it was Martin Pollard on here who christened it Two Broke Jokes- I think that accurately describes how funny TBG is :icon_biggrin:.

I honestly don't remember if I did or not, but I'll be happy to take the credit. :) I do know that I've regularly used the term Two and a Half Laughs, which you're also welcome to use if you are so inclined. :)

• Like 1

I agree with you, TBG is just not funny. I don't find it offensively bad, just not funny, and for that reason I don't watch it. I think it was Martin Pollard on here who christened it Two Broke Jokes- I think that accurately describes how funny TBG is :icon_biggrin:.

I also agree about the 'down with the kids' nature of E4 in general. Their indents and laddish announcers just seem like they're trying too hard to be 'vibrant' or 'radical' at times, which irritates me. In this age of TV guides etc., we don't need some guy to talk over a picture of a caravan site with kids running around to tell us (whilst probably cracking a couple of corny gags) that it's TBBT on next!

I would definitely describe myself as in E4's target audience demographic yet I find the indents, announcers and style of the channel very irritating. As for the programming, whilst I enjoy TBBT and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I find that the rest leaves something to be desired. Marry Me, Two Broke Girls, Baby Daddy and How I Met Your Mother do not make me laugh in the slightest, and to be honest I found Drifters to be a bit cringeworthy at times.

That said, the scheduling of TBBT isn't their fault. It's just a shame they didn't explain that very well without trying to be 'down with the kids'.

I like the Two Broke Jokes thing! I find the show intensely annoying - the rapturous joy from the studio audience whenever a character makes their first entrance, usually accompanied by some wisecrack; the woman who played Stifler's mum in American Pie with her kooky accent.... I could go on and on here but I can't keep avoiding doing some work for too long. I'd love to know what they give the studio audience to get them so hyper. At the TBBT taping we were given pizza and water (and sweets from Mark Sweet if we got pulled out between takes)... I suspect that the TBG audience are given Ritalin. And there's something about Kat Dennings' face - it's in her eyes, whenever she delivers a punchline, there's something in her eyes that I find strange. I'd like to think that perhaps she knows

As for E4, I agree completely. The Irish announcer with his scripted wisecracks... It's like being stuck in a shed with your younger brother's annoying mate. Trying too hard to be all youthful, when they're most likely answerable to producers who are my age.

Still, there's some good comedy stuff on in the UK at the moment, mostly not on E4. Uncle, for one thing, is superb, and Nurse too. I'm very pleased to see Inside No 9 is back tomorrow as well. Sorry, American readers - look them up and see if you can get to watch them!