The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kimbee73

Emily And Working So Much

Okay in Clean Room, Penny mentioned to Dr. Koothrapali that Raj is dating someone who works a lot too like him mom. What I don't understand is why she seems to work so much. She is a dermatologist. I would think she doesn't have too many emergencies in that field. And she was working late on Christmas Eve? That seems unrealistic. Also on a Saturday night in Focus Attenuation. I understand that Laura Spencer is taping two shows at once but I think the writers could have maybe made her a surgeon or something. It would explain why she may have to work the longer hours.

I don't know it's just been bugging me.

• Like 1

I'm not too into her character so I didn't even notice.

Probably they just needed to quickly and conveniently explain her absence and work is the easiest.

Agree I wouldn't read into it.. And this is Bones last season so if she sticks with Raj next season she would be more available

It's not that I am really into her character but they have now been dating for almost 8 months. Work is a very convenient way to explain her absence, it's just her job doesn't seem to lend itself to that much extra work. Maybe the writers just didn't know what they were going to do with her. They didn't give Amy a job when they first introduced her in season 3, so they could have not said what she did until they were sure they were keeping her on the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree I wouldn't read into it.. And this is Bones last season so if she sticks with Raj next season she would be more available

I guess that makes sense.

You know, I hadn't really thought about it until now because I'm not invested in Emily's character at all -- I think she and Raj are cute together, sure, but we don't really know enough about her for me to make any stronger judgment -- but you're absolutely right that a dermatologist shouldn't be having to work emergencies on Christmas Eve.  I imagine that we're not supposed to read into it, but it is an odd choice of excuse.

Especially when we know that Sheldon was otherwise engaged at the time, so it wasn't him pestering her to look at suspicious spots. :p

• Like 1

Maybe she was spending Christmas Eve with her family...

As others said, I don't think they have to make excuses for her all the time. I don't think Penny said that Emily was working that night, but just that she works a lot--I'm assuming that she keeps long hours at her office.

At any rate, I'm sure she'll be in more episodes once her commitment to Bones is over with.

There could be an emergency if someone got 2nd or 3rd degree burns on them from spilling something hot or a fire. And she had to go in and do emergency surgery on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think she obviously needs to be available around the clock to treat all those post-party rashes people get from celebrating the lead up to Christmas too vigorously. But more specifically, I felt the line worked on two levels. It superficially explained why she wasn't always around which also defuses any breakup quandaries (unlike Leonard's magically disappearing Dr Stephanie Barnett), and it was a nod to the situation of "Two Jobs" Spencer.

• Like 2

Maybe she was spending Christmas Eve with her family...

As others said, I don't think they have to make excuses for her all the time. I don't think Penny said that Emily was working that night, but just that she works a lot--I'm assuming that she keeps long hours at her office.

At any rate, I'm sure she'll be in more episodes once her commitment to Bones is over with.

You are right that was not said. She probably was with her own family. I hadn't thought of that.

Actually, we have been told that Emily is a Dermatology RESIDENT at a hospital in L.A., so not yet a practicing dermatologist.  As a doctor-in-training, she will be required to spend lots of hours in the hospital regardless of her medical specialty.

I speak from experience.  We are a medical family, and I have a son who is presently a Medical Resident in Los Angeles. Even during his dermatology rotation, we rarely got to see him!!!!

• Like 7

That is what I was thinking, doctors in training spend huge amounts of time in the hospital, you see that shown on other shows, too. So she probably doesn't socialize a lot so having a steady boyfriend like Raj would be nice for her, take the dating pressure off her. It really makes sense for a occasional character to be employed like that, plus if she sticks, it makes it 3 doctors against one for the girls and it allows Sheldon to be harmlessly inappropriate with her because she is a doctor, like Leonard's doctor girlfriend.