The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SketchScratch

Comment if you DISAGREE with the whole Shenny idea!

The only way it should happen is if Penny has a nightmare dream...

Or if Sheldon has a nightmare dream...:D

And he wakes up screaming "The horror!"

And he wakes up screaming "The horror!"

Oh yes, I can imagine that :D

I think Sheldon and Leonard's mom are meant to be together. It's totally canon lol! :D

In all seriousness, Shenny (Or Peldon as I like to call it) will never happen. Although I do think a dream episode would be very funny... I also hope to see more of the girl in the Season 3 finale.

I admit, while I enjoy *looking* and *observing* how a SheldonxPenny relationship would work from different perspectives as these two are such polar opposites that the ship name 'Paradox' is a perfect description, I disagree with it's likelihood. So I comment.

It's not going to happen. But it's hilarious to start hypothesizing how in Mount Doom Of Mordor's blazes this could work. Like most ships, they're things you like to see as the characters tease each other and otherwise interact, but it will almost always be a nightmare should the writers actually attempt to make it canon.

I'd like to see it as a nightmare story!

You know what they should do? Make an episode in which, for whichever reason, Sheldon and Penny are alone with a few of Penny's friend, and one of them jump to conclusion and things they are together. And the majority of their side of the episode (while Leonard, Howard and Raj are... I don't know... teaching Raj to speak to girls without alchool!) would be about them trying to deny that theory! And at the epilogue there'd be a nightmare scene in which they kiss, then Penny and/or Sheldon wakes up (it would be a kind of nightmare for both of them, after all! :p).

But in reality, that wouldn't work! They get on each other's nerve, and it's funny and good that way! Assuming Sheldon would one day be into a girl, it would be someone for which he has an intellectual respect. A younger version of Leonard's mom, likely. That girl he mets at the end of the seaons 3 finale could do the job, we'll see where this one goes next year. But Penny, or any girl like Penny, that would not work.

In the first Episode, I often thought that Sheldon was into Penny. The statement about Leonard not having a chance with Penny, and not being dissappointed when she said no could have been takes as Sheldon was interested in her, and thought he had a better shot at it. I quickly learned this was not the case. Personally I would not want to see Sheldon and Penny together, Sheldon and another woman would be comical, how-ever I could see Sheldon wanting Leonard to move out if Sheldon was in a long term "relationship", which would ruin a lot of the dynamic of the show.

everyone keeps forgetting something really important: it's one thing that this Shenny thing is a bad idea, but even if they were to hit it off, she would be Leonard's ex! what kind of a friend would date a friend's ex? and it's not just a hook-up, they're in love. so Shenny is out of the question for many reasons.

But Sheldon wouldn't know that custom and would go ahead anyway...

Don't jump the shark!

The key to this show is the ongoing relationship / friendship between Leonard and Penny. Without that relationship the relationship between Sheldon and Penny would not continue.

The “Spaghetti Catalyst†episode was brilliant in exploring how things can work successfully. In that episode Leonard and Penny are like a separated/divorced couple working out sharing time with their “son†Sheldon. The added twist is that Leonard is the practical “mother†and Penny the loving but really unknowing “fatherâ€Â.

That “normalcy†has to be the center of the show. Nobody would put up with Sheldon if not for Leonard mostly because Sheldon would not put up with Howard, Rag or Penny, if not for Leonard. While the Penny & Sheldon relationship is the best fodder for jokes and witty dialogue it works best with Leonard in the middle…..â€Âhere we goâ€Â

Marginalizing or eliminating the Leonard / Penny relationship will end up resulting in what happened to Happy Days when the Ron Howard “Richie†character left and they centered the show on Fonzie. The show just did not work without the focus running through a relatable “everyman†character.

In the “Big Bang Theory†that “everyman†is Leonard he is the most normal and relatable character and the one who bridges the “emotional†Penny to the “rational†Sheldon. Leonard is the little bit of nerd in all of us and the “good guy†who brings out the nurturer in Penny. Without Leonard and that bridge, Penny has no need for Sheldon and Sheldon would have no use for her unless nobody else is around. Episode after episode of contriving ways that Sheldon would need to ask for Penny’s help would really get tiresome. If not for Leonard there would be little or no reason for Penny to be hanging out in Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment as she is not “one of the guys†and never should be. The strength of her character is to be the “outsider†looking in – She is the world that Howard and Raj want to be part of and that Sheldon wants no part of.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Leonard is the "glue" that binds the characters together. Without him there is no show.

It will be very interesting in season 4 to see how the group dynamic will progress considering what Penny did to Leonard in the season finale.

I have seen things like this happen in real life it didn't end well.

Oh, Sheldon with Penny??? First I heard about this sort of idea. But then, I have not seen season 3...

Okay, opposited attract. also, there is sort of duality thing in it

what I mean is that Sheldon is all knowledge about sciences, but lack street smarts. But Penny has all the street smarts, yet lack all the scietific noledge.

-so, by getting together, they would, as a pair, have both the street smarts, and the scientific smarts.

And to me that would work very well. i mean think about offspring: Penny would know how to rear them, and keep it real, and Sheldon would know what kind of games and stimulants kids would need to grow into intelligent adults.

-result would be that their kids would be socially able geniuses.

If Penny and leonard were to have offspring, I do not see the same happening. Leonard is too weak willed, to be able to make the kids to play smart games and take their vegetables and so on. So, Penny would have to pretty much rear the kids by herself...

-so, from kids perspective, it would be better to see Sheldon and Penny to have them.

so, I do not disagree after all, although I thought I would.

There are some major problems with a romantic pairing of Sheldon and Penny. It would require a labotomy on both characters which would essentially change who both these characters are and thus render the whole thing moot.

Penny needs someone who is going to support and nurture her emotional wants and desires. Somebody who's going to genuinely be there and care for her.

Sheldon simply isn't that guy and will never be that guy. He's too self-centered and ego-centric for that. It's all about him.

That alone would stop a relationship from ever happening. Then there's also the issue of attraction. There is none. Sheldon has no intrest in physical intimacy and Penny doesn't even view him as a man that she could be sexually intimate with, which makes it pretty hard to conceive a child when there's no sex happening.

As for the child rearing thing. Sheldon isn't going to have much success because little kids are very self centered and oriented and that would put Sheldon at constant odds with a small child. Sheldon doesn't have the emotional maturity to deal with a kid.

I agree with DPK; Sheldon's as asexual as they come and I think people would have figured that out by now if our sex-obsessed society even knew such a thing was possible. (Hint: it's not something you 'grow out of'; would you say that to a straight or gay person?) Three seasons and no sign of Sheldon desiring physical intimacy: on several occasions he's all but said that he doesn't get what the big deal is about sex. Penny was wrong; not everyone has a 'deal'.

That's not to say he couldn't have a relationship, but he would be a much better fit with a fellow asexual like Amy who immediately established that they were on the same page. Penny and Sheldon would not be satisfied with one another even if they did work out their interesting personality clashes. No doubt their relationship will grow and develop as all good relationships do, but people can grow closer without jumping into bed sometimes.

Well, about sheldons so called asexuality, you might recall that in the pilot episode, Leonard called Sheldon semipro in mastur*****n.

-this means sheldon does have his drives. Also, in the episode where penny played halo (season one) sheldon said that penny was attractive.

'nobody that attractive can be that good at halo' were his words.

So, I think sheldon has his drives, he just hides them beneath cool and analytical mask. I think he took that mask from spock in his childhood, and has worn it ever since. With therapy, sheldon would probably start behaving more emotionally and would not be ashamed of his feelings...

It's refreshing to have a character on TV not interested in dating. I think it would be out of character to have Sheldon any different.

what interests me in this is the annoying compulsion of making couples.

What I mean is that when there is a show that has singles in it, people start instantly forming these single people into couples. they start pondering about who is going to end up with whom and so on.

And tv writers are just as bad. Writers also have this compulsion to make couples out of their characters. dude who writes BBT seems to have it quite bad, as he is trying to couple howard, leonard and even sheldon with any available female in almost every episode.

-why he is not doing it with Raj is a bit of a mystery, but maybe he is xenophobic, and does not want coulpe an indian male with an american lady...

Jeepers people! get over it! just let people stay single for a while!

I think the reason they're not trying to pair Raj up is because of his selective mutism. It would be extremely hard for him to have a relationship. Although that brings up an interesting point: aren't Sheldon's obstacles to romance (being how he is) even more insurmountable than Raj's?

This is one of the best shows ever, not some chik flick or love sick show, love it!

Also, is sheldon AUTiSTIC? His eccentries and all I mean...

This is one of the best shows ever, not some chik flick or love sick show, love it!

Also, is sheldon AUTiSTIC? His eccentries and all I mean...

Autism is different from what sheldon is. some autistic people are unable to understand certain things about social conduct, but with sheldon, he understands them all right, he just does not care!

-so, he is just very selfish, not autistic.

as for sheldon having a romantic relationship: well, you can only have one if you believe in romance. this is very interesting subject in it's own: for romance did not appear till very late in human history, and is believed to be a product of artists who wanted to have a way into ladies bedrooms; they developed a thing called romance, and ladies bought it just as readily as they buy haircare products today.

Today it is the same with romance: we believe it exists because we learn of it from telly shows and cheap novels. and so we try to find this romance in our lives too.

-fat chance however, as romance is just arbitrary make believe. Still, it works if you are soft headed, as if you believe in something hard enough, it becomes real!

Hmm... I don't know about that... Romance existed a long time ago... Before Jesus Christ, there were Aphrodite, right? She represented love (well, actually, more lust than love, but still)... And the Greek myths is full of story that involve romance in some ways. I mean, Helene and Paris, that ought to be the best exemple, right?

Romance was broken apart for a while because it was believe that romantic, impulsive love was evil's action. At least in France, I can confirm that from what I learned in class, the writers who were including such romance in their story HAD TO kill of the lovers. I can't confirm if this is also true with English litterature but, considering how Romeo and Juliet ends, for exemple, I wouldn't be surprised.

My point being that romance existed a long time ago, it's not as new as you've put it, Sherminator. And again, Greek stories might reminds us of that.

As for the Sheldon case, it is simple: As he has no personnal, material interest in romance, he can't really fall in love. If it ever happens, it would have to be with someone with whom he has the best affinities. Thus, I wouldn't mind seeing him dating that girl at the end of season 3. But the whole Shenny thing, that would just not work at all. I'm aware that those two are funny together, but it's because they can't stand being alone together. Not really a strong basis for a relationship! :p

Oh, and one thing, about: "why he is not doing it with Raj is a bit of a mystery, but maybe he is xenophobic, and does not want coulpe an indian male with an american lady...", actually, Raj had the biggest amount of girls in the serie, he's a real geek playboy. But, granted, they were mostly one-night stands. I kinda want him to, slowly, over the course of the serie, heal of his selected mutism (he would still be very shy, but would at least be able to answer when spoken to directly, or something). Then, it would be easier to set him up for a long-term relationship.

but then, Raj wants to have flings, before settling down with a nice indian girl. That's what Raj says iin one episode.

Also, since there are already Howard and leonard that are seeking true love, it would make no sense to add raj to the list. from the writing point. I mean that would just make the episodes very repetitive as most would then be about somebody trying to form a relationship.

I liked when it was only Leonard trying to form a relationships. Back then only about 50% of the episodes were about Leonards failures in lovelife.

nowadays it is more like 80% of episodes are about lovelife. and if raj were to start having serious relationships, then it would be 100% episodes about love and carnality.

So, let us hope raj stays raj.

As for romance, I have always thought that 'I love u' is just a more civilized way of saying 'I want to bed you, you saucy lass!'

-in better circles you could not say such rude things to frail ladies, so you had to make a different vocabulary. HEnce love and romance and so on.

But you are right, Irvine, about romance being an old issue. In indian holy writings, that are something like 3000 year old stories, there are numerous romaces.

also, in bible, we have the song of songs.

So, in that respect, I suppose romance and love might be something that actually exist above mere carnal relations. As if!!!:icon_twisted: