The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

813 The Anxiety Optimization (January 29)

Your Episode Rating  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

What does he smell like? :wub:

It's a mix of the cologne and the hair stuff he uses. I meant to ask what it was since it was really really really nice but I felt like being creepy so I didn't :D

• Like 2

(Don't believe I just "liked" a post about how good a guy smells...)

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 3

I enjoyed this episode.  A little silly, but sometimes its a nice break from all the relationship intense stuff. 

The Emily/Cinnamon game was HYSTERICAL!!  That was hands down the comedy for me.  Such a funny idea. 

For the Lennys, the soaping you up in the shower was a pretty hot line.

I really enjoyed take charge Amy as far as her firmness on date night.  I love that she stands up for herself more & more.  Her confidence this season is astonishing to me. 

The banana line had me....no need to go on....the innuendos continue!!  clues, clues, clues....

I am happy to see Sheldon working forward on his career.  This kinda needed to be addressed and was done in a very playful way.

• Like 3

(Don't believe I just "liked" a post about how good a guy smells...)

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

That's totally fine haha

I will investigate further soon! :)

Sheldon has done this before. He has often challenged himself, has tested the boundaries that his mind has. So this episode was no different from that. I enjoyed how he wanted to include everyone. Especially the girls, especially Penny.

Even though he was a little too rough to them (I think!) he still included everyone and valued the different types of input.

This is a nice touch, really.

Edited by Dannii
  • Like 1

I loved his comments to the girls--imagining that their conversation was only about their "crotches".  Umm...gee, Sheldon, what's on your mind?

But I love that it was partly sort of clinical and detached (talking about cervixes and sanitary napkins isn't exactly sexy), but with hints of other things--grabbing men's buttocks?!?!

Perfect.

• Like 3

Really didn't understand this episode, I didn't get what Sheldon's problem was or what he was trying to accomplish -  but it had some funny moments and I liked the 'Emily or Cinnamon' game :)

The soaping me up in the shower line by Penny shows that the couple are being intimate we are just not seeing it on screen.  I would love to see this scene tastefully done for TV

• Like 3

Really didn't understand this episode, I didn't get what Sheldon's problem was or what he was trying to accomplish -  but it had some funny moments and I liked the 'Emily or Cinnamon' game :)

Do you mean you don't get the connection between proton decay and dark matter candidates or was there something else about what Sheldon was attempting to accomplish you don't get?

• Like 1

The saving grace of the show was Emily or Cinnamon. Sheldon having career issues. boring and overdone. Lenny taking care of Sheldon at the end. Overdone. Lenny singing Soft Kitty. Just creepy. There was a few funny moments but not enough to make up for a tired topic. And people complain about Shenny moments. LOL

Agree with most of this but the Emily Cinnamon jokes were not funny enough to save this.

• Like 2

Do you mean you don't get the connection between proton decay and dark matter candidates or was there something else about what Sheldon was attempting to accomplish you don't get?

I don't know if you are going to answer. I'll go on anyway.

Proton decay is an interesting topic. From the 1988 page http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/9483/title/Proton-Decay-Experiment-On-The-Brink-Of-Extinction/

The tale begins a decade ago, when theoretical physicists appeared on the verge of a break-through that would unify all the particles and nearly all the forces in the universe. These so-called Grand Unified Theories or "GUT" have an extraordinarily small number of testable predictions; one of the few is that protons, the basic building block of the atom, are unstable and will eventually decay. In 1979, two architects of GUTS shared the Nobel Prize, and both pounded the pulpit during their acceptance speeches to encourage the search for proton decay.

David Saltzberg has talked about proton decay https://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/s03e11-the-materinal-congruence/

In an example from physics, one of the biggest problems in theoretical particle physics today is that many models predict that protons decay in less than a second—thereby the Sun, Earth and Human Beings would never exist. Something had to be done. The particle theorists finally solved the problem by inventing (i.e., “making up”) something called “R-parity” that could not change, in order to put the brakes on proton decay.  The quantity now appears in many, if not most, theoretical models in particle physics.   And much like the solutions of comedy writers, “R-parity” may well turn out to be a joke.

and there has been talk about dark matter even back in season3 episode 4

David  again https://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/s03e04-the-pirate-solution/

S03E04: The Pirate Solution

In tonight’s episode Raj works alongside Sheldon on “The Dark Matter Problem”.   In my opinion this is the biggest problem in physics today that we have a hope of solving.

As far as connecting the two I don't know for sure what the connection would be. It seemed like Sheldon was looking for a solution to what was stopping protons from decaying. Perhaps he was thinking there was something that would solve both that and the dark matter issue in one big something new.

edit -- well I have found an article that gives mention to dark matter and proton decay but I don't really understand it.

see http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/nov/29/new-particle-links-dark-matter-with-missing-antimatter

Although protons are expected to be fairly resilient to this decay process, Sigurdson says, "This scenario could be on the boundary of detectability."

"It looks like a very interesting model," says Dan Hooper of Fermilab. Although at least three more models linking the production of dark matter to the baryon asymmetry are in development, he says that the proton-decay signature sets this scenario apart.

Driven by experiments

Matthew Buckley of Fermilab says that there is a sudden interest in linking dark matter with the baryon asymmetry because of recent experiments that have tried (unsuccessfully) to detect dark matter.

Edited by djsurrey

Sheldon being anxious about his work reminded me of s3 when he was the same and had to be rescued by Leonard from the ballpit

This wasn't as fun as I was hoping but it was good to see that Amy doesn't take crap from Sheldon

• Like 2

I gave this one a very good vote. Many things in this episode made me lol.

Lenny getting ready for a night out by themselves was nice to see. I also laughed at the comments they were making while Sheldon couldn't hear them, but I did wonder why Penny wouldn't have just used Leonard's toothbrush? That made me think they were just throwing out whatever they thought would upset him, not true events.

Shower soaping!!!

Sheldon implying that Penny doesn't enjoy sex with Leonard didn't bother me because it wasn't like Penny agreed with him. Though her acting like she wouldn't want to take Leonard to Hawaii did sting a bit. I know it's for laughs, but still...

I loved the Emily or Cinnamon game! Howard was hilarious with his game show host voice and the game questions themselves were great: "I just want you to know, the bed is so lonely when you're not in it." Later in the episode I cracked up when an exasperated Raj walked in just as Penny was answering, "Cinnamon."

I enjoyed everything Shamy in this episode. Amy patiently tried to help Sheldon until he finally pushed her too far. It's so good to see Amy hold her own against Sheldon. Their fight felt like a real girlfriend-boyfriend fight. They disagreed, snapped at one another and she kicked him out. But there's still the knowledge that everything will be okay between them. I can't wait until we get a proper make out scene between them.

Sheldon's conversation with the girls was delightfully inappropriate. Of course all women sit around discussing which sanitary napkin is all the rage right now!

Weird side note: Sheldon needs a bigger bed; his feet hung way off the end when he was laying down.

Finally, I'm undecided about viewing Sheldon's crazy sleep deprived state and Leonard wanting to kill him in his sleep (an obvious joke) as continuity or as recycling. Happy kitty sleepy kitty is definitely continuity, but I those other things remind me of two separate episodes I can't remember the names of right now.

Oh, what's with Raj having a dog we seldom see and now a girlfriend we seldom see? I wish they would have picked an actress with more availability. Ha, I could be talking about Emily or Cinnamon!

Anyway, overall I loved this episode.

• Like 2

Have to agree with Chrismo and gave it just an "okay".

What the show lacks is serious character and story development. Sheldon going nuts over some topic at work...

ballpit anyone? Yawn. Howard mocking Raj over any random thing? Common writers. 

For me as a sophisticated fan, that has seen every episode two times or more, my expectations or call it metric of what

constitutes a good episode has not gone down. Yet lately, writers and to a much less degress actors appear to just phone

it in. This routine may be enough for the big crowd, but not enough to delight the sophisticated crowd.

Not that this hasn't happened in other shows before many times. Compare to e.g. ST:Voyager's days when the show

suffered serious writers' fatigue and "reset to zero" syndrome. Whatever life-threatening thing the crew encountered

was resolved/reset within the episode or within a 2-3 episode arc.

The same is happening here. Keep doing this and you lost a good fan by the end of this season.

What the show lacks is serious character and story development. Sheldon going nuts over some topic at work...

For me as a sophisticated fan, that has seen every episode two times or more, my expectations or call it metric of what

constitutes a good episode has not gone down. Yet lately, writers and to a much less degress actors appear to just phone

it in. This routine may be enough for the big crowd, but not enough to delight the sophisticated crowd.

Not that this hasn't happened in other shows before many times. Compare to e.g. ST:Voyager's days when the show

suffered serious writers' fatigue and "reset to zero" syndrome. Whatever life-threatening thing the crew encountered

The same is happening here. Keep doing this and you lost a good fan by the end of this season.

Perhaps you would get more out of reading some good books.

• Like 3

Finally had a chance to watch this episode again...I found a lot to enjoy therein.  First, I love any combo of the group in a lab/office actually doing science (or TV science ;-), so I found the Sheldon and Amy interaction in her lab fun (from the aired promo, looks like the guys get their turn next week).  I also thought there was a little Shamyesque flirting going on too :-)

Got some good laughs out of "Emily or Cinnamon"...Simon Helberg was hilarious as usual.  I also liked the little callback to the change in dynamic with Howard/Sheldon.  Through most of the epi, Howard was doing his usual poking at Sheldon, but in the tag a friendly "you look like you got some rest".

Lenny apparently have special date nights with dress up and everything, nice!  Thought what they came up with to say to Sheldon wearing headphones was funny.  What the heck did Amy take off?!..lol. The trend of Sheldon's increased self-awareness, "Like a big 'ol baby",  is something I hope continues.

I also like Amy trying to be reasonable and helpful to Sheldon when he was going off the rails, but when he remained his usual stubborn self, she was having none of it...Go Amy!

"President of Science"...Ha!

So for me a fun, enjoyable episode.  (Also loved super smiley Leonard/Johnny Galecki this week).

Edited by bhreg
  • Like 4

Finally had a chance to watch this episode again...I found a lot to enjoy therein.  First, I love any combo of the group in a lab/office actually doing science (or TV science ;-), so I found the Sheldon and Amy interaction in her lab fun (from the aired promo, looks like the guys get their turn next week).  I also thought there was a little Shamyesque flirting going on too :-)

Got some good laughs out of "Emily or Cinnamon"...Simon Helberg was hilarious as usual.  I also liked the little callback to the change in dynamic with Howard/Sheldon.  Through most of the epi, Howard was doing his usual poking at Sheldon, but in the tag a friendly "you look like you got some rest".

Lenny apparently have special date nights with dress up and everything, nice!  Thought what they came up with to say to Sheldon wearing headphones was funny.  What the heck did Amy take off?!..lol. The trend of Sheldon's increased self-awareness, "Like a big 'ol baby",  is something I hope continues.

I also like Amy trying to be reasonable and helpful to Sheldon when he was going off the rails, but when he remained his usual stubborn self, she was having none of it...Go Amy!

"President of Science"...Ha!

So for me a fun, enjoyable episode.  (Also loved super smiley Leonard/Johnny Galecki this week).

I liked this episode for all of these reasons and I like how your post hit on so  many of the highlights that made the episode so enjoyable for me.

Being a Leonard and a Johnny fan, I think what I liked the very most was Johnny's performance.  I usually think he's great, but I thought he was extra great and just 100% on in this episode.His facial expression was so perfect as he pushed away the cinnamon bun after Sheldon said that Penny is working harder than him to stay looking good for their relationship. A tiny moment which highlights (for me) Johnny's brand of comedic genius- a look, a pause, a stutter, a lifted eyebrow, a grin. Leonard doesn't get the big laughs like Sheldon and he's not supposed to, but I like his quiet kind of funny so much and got a nice big helping of it in this episode!! :girlsmile:

• Like 9

Soeey to pop your bubble, but being a fan of this show sort of rules out any claim to sophistication. Its a mass market product, by definition not sophisticated.

Just wallow in it, in my advice. Lol.

• Like 3

I liked this episode for all of these reasons and I like how your post hit on so  many of the highlights that made the episode so enjoyable for me.

Being a Leonard and a Johnny fan, I think what I liked the very most was Johnny's performance.  I usually think he's great, but I thought he was extra great and just 100% on in this episode.His facial expression was so perfect as he pushed away the cinnamon bun after Sheldon said that Penny is working harder than him to stay looking good for their relationship. A tiny moment which highlights (for me) Johnny's brand of comedic genius- a look, a pause, a stutter, a lifted eyebrow, a grin. Leonard doesn't get the big laughs like Sheldon and he's not supposed to, but I like his quiet kind of funny so much and got a nice big helping of it in this episode!! :girlsmile:

True, Johnny could teach the master class for "Subtle Reaction Shots, Like a Boss!" and as you said, those skills were even more on display for whatever reason in the Anxiety episode.  Maybe he was thinking about the holiday vacation! ;-)

I tend to like/think about TBBT episodes on a couple of levels, first the funny stuff (true, some episodes much more than others), then just the enjoyment in these quirky characters, and finally in the skills of the talented actors that bring them to life.  The producers and casting directors of TBBT certainly got that "once in a lifetime" with this cast! 

• Like 2

I usually think he's great, but I thought he was extra great and just 100% on in this episode.His facial expression was so perfect as he pushed away the cinnamon bun after Sheldon said that Penny is working harder than him to stay looking good for their relationship. A tiny moment which highlights (for me) Johnny's brand of comedic genius- a look, a pause, a stutter, a lifted eyebrow, a grin. Leonard doesn't get the big laughs like Sheldon and he's not supposed to, but I like his quiet kind of funny so much and got a nice big helping of it in this episode!! :girlsmile:

True, but of all the geeks, he's the most self aware; and Sheldon's act would be NOTHING without Leonard to play off of.  Also if there is any character on this show that is THE MASTER of self-deprecating humor, it's Leonard.

• Like 4

enjoyed it, funny.

great game that howard used--emily or cinnamon,

have to feel bad for raj. nice to see emily at the end

to help raj out, but that kiss had hair. 

glad to see that leonard and penny use there parenting

skills to good work .            

• Like 1

The soaping me up in the shower line by Penny shows that the couple are being intimate we are just not seeing it on screen.  I would love to see this scene tastefully done for TV

tastefully like this? :p

serial-apeist-2-103798.jpg

Edited by bigbangsheldon
  • Like 4

Incidentally, Amy was way more patient than I would have been in that circumstance.  His fanny would have been out the door as soon as he said the words "nagging" and "shrill". 

• Like 1

Incidentally, Amy was way more patient than I would have been in that circumstance.  His fanny would have been out the door as soon as he said the words "nagging" and "shrill". 

Fanny means something different across the ditches. LOL. And don't get me started on biscuits and gravy. What is that about?.... But Amy has been patient for about 3 years more than any ordinary mortal women. Are you just noticing :icon_cheesygrin:.

• Like 2

I'm sure the folks at TBBT are sweating bullets at the thought of losing you as a fan.

I don't think anyone is phoning it in.

• Like 1